Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Sawyer tweeted a video of the combat speed slider:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jesawyer/status/971211396988809216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mymla posted:

What the gently caress ropekid.

I mean this is probably on Avellone specifically being Durance.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm late to the party.
WTF is ropekid?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There is no way I'm not going to play at maximum slow the whole time.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm late to the party.
WTF is ropekid?

Josh Sawyer (lead dev of pillars) is a cool goon and actively posts here as rope kid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Sagani is the best and Durance is the equal worst actually

:same:

Durance is utter garbage as a character, even though talking with him reveals lots of interesting stuff about the Godhammer bomb and by extension the Dyrwood.

Angry Mom Sagani owns.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wait where is this hate for Durance coming from, he's one of the few interesting characters in the game

is it because he was written by Avellone

I legit can't grasp people liking Sagani better

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

portrait_icon_johnny_sm.jpg

Imagine four balls at the bottom of a necklace.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

wait where is this hate for Durance coming from, he's one of the few interesting characters in the game

People conflating liking the character and liking the characterization. Durance is an incredibly well-written character, he's just a complete unlikeable rear end in a top hat.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

I don't get the hate for Durance as a character, he's my joint favourite with Eder, but what's wrong with Sagani? Sure, she has no grand plot tie to the main quest, but she's likeable and well written.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't think he's that well written and I don't enjoy having him in my team meanwhile Sagani is a cool mum and my friend

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At least (almost?) everyone seems to agree that Grieving mother’s only redeeming quality is as free stat points.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i liked mr drugmonk

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I've just become less enamoured with high-concept, Avellone style fantasy characters in recent years. Characters like Eder, Sagani and even Pallegina who are dealing with mostly real world relatable issues I like far more. I still like Durance and think he's an important character and one of the best ever priest characters, but I'd much rather listen to Eder recount whistful tales of time past on the farm or Sagani talk about scolding her children.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean this is probably on Avellone specifically being Durance.

The parts where you're more combative with Durance were written by Eric Fenstermaker iirc

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Durance only feels a bit weird because he's tonally different from the other companions. If you had a party full of Durances it wouldn't feel as odd. I mean, with that level of conversation involvement, don't actually give me a party full of unlikable people that refuse to properly interact with others without making GBS threads on them.

That said, my dream RPG party is having every party member be as hosed up as the main cast of Drakengard. In case you were wondering having not played that masterpiece of trolling the player and insulting them for completionism, that party consists of:

Caim, a man who exchanged his voice to have a dragon buddy, and is so hell-bent on revenge he is depicted in numerous cutscenes still stabbing or kicking corpses.
Arioch, an elf woman who had their family killed by the end of the evil Empire and so went nuts and eats children because she thinks she can 'protect' and 'be one' with them.
Leonard, a blind man with a fairy friend that constantly insults him, who is implied to be a pedo.
Seere, literally someone stuck in a child's body forever.

Just gimme that level of "these people are messed up but work together". Tyranny didn't go far enough.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

At least (almost?) everyone seems to agree that Grieving mother’s only redeeming quality is as free stat points.
She's going to come back as an overpowered vengeful ghost enemy in Deadfire and all you bastards who couldn't see her for the fine character that she is are going to be sorry!
If you're going to dump anyone into that pool of blood, dump Edér in there. With that +2 to deflection he can actually contribute something.

Ravenfood posted:

People conflating liking the character and liking the characterization. Durance is an incredibly well-written character, he's just a complete unlikeable rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, agreed. Durance is interesting as a character and he has interesting concepts and well constructed characterization going on. But actually interacting with him isn't exactly pleasant and not something I'd ever repeat.
It doesn't help both Durance and Grieving Mother that Avellone was apparently kind of doing his own thing and they ended coming across as characters from a different game that got lost and wandered into PoE1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Leonard running an orphanage which burns down when he runs into the woods to jack off ftw

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If Durance existed exactly as he already does now, but was a fan-made mod instead of pre-existing in-game content, everyone here would despise him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

bewilderment posted:

That said, my dream RPG party is having every party member be as hosed up as the main cast of Drakengard. In case you were wondering having not played that masterpiece of trolling the player and insulting them for completionism, that party consists of:

That seems less “hosed up” and more “someone on the dev team has an actual pedo fetish” - that’s three of four characters who’s defining trait appears to be related to children in a bad way.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 7, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ProfessorCirno posted:

If Durance existed exactly as he already does now, but was a fan-made mod instead of pre-existing in-game content, everyone here would despise him.

Not me, because I don't use mods. Checkmate.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

bewilderment posted:

portrait_icon_johnny_sm.jpg

Imagine four balls at the bottom of a necklace.

Now I wanna do a full run of PoE just to play as Johnny Five-Aces for 2.

Durance was perfect for PoE and its themes. If anything, a game which aspires to present a fantasy setting as a space to confront the range of cultural difference should be making us uncomfortable with its characters more frequently. Especially when they worship a Goddess of progress through conflict.

Like if I were to put forward one criticism of Zahua, it would be that his chill drug monk persona made it too easy to be comfortable with the way his philosophy extols pain and suffering as the path to enlightenment. I loved the guy, but ultimately that comes down to serious cultural difference as acceptable as long as its all a big joke which conforms to a familiar archetype of our own culture that does not challenge the hegemony of our own values.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 7, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ProfessorCirno posted:

I get that feeling about a lot of everything to do with video games.
But Durance...
Holy poo poo.
At the end of Cinders of Faith I kinda asked myself if I really need a Cleric.
(sigh, I do)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Ironically, I usually replace Durance with a adventurer cleric once his story is finished so that I have one whose dex isn't poo poo.

He's right in Cinders of Faith, though. That cleric's goddess gave her a quest and she sent you to do it for her. She's lucky to be alive and not cursed with something worse than death; these aren't quaint little toys for our amusement, they're Gods.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 7, 2018

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh i meant the drug monk who lives in a fish barrel, not the drug monk who is a fish

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

with the shape of water being an oscar winner i hope we can find a way to elevate the fish sex in poe2

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The wereshark guy is probably romancable.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've said before, but I really hope we can get Durance back using his ashes as a throwing weapon in Pillars 2. He was a pretty good character, as hateable as he was even if yeah clunkily implemented and far too one sided.

frajaq posted:

People hate Avellone now?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's a good way of putting it. I think Durance is conceptually interesting, but extremely off-putting in execution, and that's not just because he's an unpleasant guy. There are a number of ways in which he feels like a ~super serious~ fan insert of some kind that jar with the tone and narrative of the game. I don't hate Durance's writing like I hate Grieving Mother's, but I don't think it succeeds at what it sets out to do, either.

Hodgepodge posted:

Ironically, I usually replace Durance with a adventurer cleric once his story is finished so that I have one whose dex isn't poo poo.

He's right in Cinders of Faith, though. That cleric's goddess gave her a quest and she sent you to do it for her. She's lucky to be alive and not cursed with something worse than death; these aren't quaint little toys for our amusement, they're Gods.

Well, that's certainly Durance's way of seeing it. On the other hand, they're gods, that is transcendent beings who have multiple aspects and can represent or be appeased by multiple things. The major argument against what you're saying is that the fires light again if you inspire the priestess to rekindle her faith. It seems unlikely that the devout of Magran have to be suicidal: likely each worshiper can satisfy the goddess' will according to his or her own talents and disposition. Magran merely showed her a vision of an object saying "my power is active in the world and I'm still watching over the Dyrwood." It was only her responsibility to claim the object herself if she had a far too limited view of the divine, like Durance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've said before, but I really hope we can get Durance back using his ashes as a throwing weapon in Pillars 2. He was a pretty good character, as hateable as he was even if yeah clunkily implemented and far too one sided.

I don't think people here hate Avellone per se, but there's a sort of sense of him overstaying his welcome I think? A) His gimmick has gotten a bit repetitive and B) he's been a little bit of a petulant tosser in some of his commentary about Pillars of Eternity and it has not been a good look.

Durance is still a pretty good character and I think most people here appreciate having a priest who actually FINALLY feels like someone with genuine religious conviction, rather than the usual limp dicked D&D priest, but Avellone has definitely lost his luster with people all the same.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Avalerion posted:

The wereshark guy is probably romancable.

thank you

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Oblivious posted:

Durance is still a pretty good character and I think most people here appreciate having a priest who actually FINALLY feels like someone with genuine religious conviction, rather than the usual limp dicked D&D priest, but Avellone has definitely lost his luster with people all the same.

All I can say for me personally is that I still think Avellone is the absolute best at what he does, but a lot of other writers are starting to show up and prove that the Avellone Way to Video Game Writing Greatness is no longer the only way to video game writing greatness. There are other ways to write great content for video games that aren't just "unleash the Avellone".

There was a long period where "good video game writing" was basically Planescape: Torment raising its hand like Lisa Simpson and then the general public was Ms. Krabappel looking around the room desperately trying to find someone else to answer the question for a change. The industry's grown now and showing there are lots of other ways to approach quality writing in video games (Witcher, parts of the new Kingdom Come: Deliverance,, yes the the non-Avellone parts of PoE, etc).

I'm still probably gonna play any half-decent game with Avellone's name on it but he's no longer the only video game writer I keep an eye out for.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That's a good way of putting it. I think Durance is conceptually interesting, but extremely off-putting in execution, and that's not just because he's an unpleasant guy. There are a number of ways in which he feels like a ~super serious~ fan insert of some kind that jar with the tone and narrative of the game. I don't hate Durance's writing like I hate Grieving Mother's, but I don't think it succeeds at what it sets out to do, either.

Well, that's certainly Durance's way of seeing it. On the other hand, they're gods, that is transcendent beings who have multiple aspects and can represent or be appeased by multiple things. The major argument against what you're saying is that the fires light again if you inspire the priestess to rekindle her faith. It seems unlikely that the devout of Magran have to be suicidal: likely each worshiper can satisfy the goddess' will according to his or her own talents and disposition. Magran merely showed her a vision of an object saying "my power is active in the world and I'm still watching over the Dyrwood." It was only her responsibility to claim the object herself if she had a far too limited view of the divine, like Durance.

This is very much our cultures' idea of what a God is- a vague, amorphous thing which is there to make us feel good, exponentially less demanding than a toddler.

I'm not sure why the goddess of war would want her foremost servant in the region to be a person who thinks fighting a Drake is suicide. Hylea sends an actual dragon, and she's the goddess of hippies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

This is very much our cultures' idea of what a God is- a vague, amorphous thing which is there to make us feel good, exponentially less demanding than a toddler.

I'm not sure why the goddess of war would want her foremost servant in the region to be a person who thinks fighting a Drake is suicide. Hylea sends an actual dragon, and she's the goddess of hippies.
If she's the goddess of intelligent war; effective war, there's the plausible argument that fighting a Drake is suicide but coming back with allies to kill it with you is totally a good idea. There's also the idea that war at an opportune time, for the right reasons, is a just war, while other "wars" are spasms of pointless violence and should be avoided. I don't know where Magran falls on the Athena/Ares spectrum, but being a goddess of war doesn't mean she has to be about individual heroics all of the time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't hate Durance's writing like I hate Grieving Mother's, but I don't think it succeeds at what it sets out to do, either.

What would you say it sets out to do?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Except that the kinder, gentler message of transformation through fire works. The priestess finds the will to relight the flames. And she doesn't think it's easy, I forget the actual dialogue, but if I recall, she says she expects no less difficult of a challenge from Magran.

If you actually take all the stories about our own historical culture's gods seriously and as true descriptions of their deeds, you'd be forced to conclude they're all schizophrenic. Odin is the preserver of virtue and order amidst mortals in one story, first undergoing great personal torment to prove a man guilty before judging him, then he's and savage and bloodthirsty in the next. Clearly his worship meant different things to different people. The appeal to actual historical beliefs doesn't obtain. The migration age Germanic peoples interested in blood and warfare as well as those interested in peace and prosperity both invoked Odin and Freya, just the same way people today invoke God both in the name of murder and in the name of peace.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Ravenfood posted:

If she's the goddess of intelligent war; effective war, there's the plausible argument that fighting a Drake is suicide but coming back with allies to kill it with you is totally a good idea. There's also the idea that war at an opportune time, for the right reasons, is a just war, while other "wars" are spasms of pointless violence and should be avoided. I don't know where Magran falls on the Athena/Ares spectrum, but being a goddess of war doesn't mean she has to be about individual heroics all of the time.

She could totally get allies, but she doesn't even go with you (her allies) when you go. She's the head of Magran's faith in the area, and she's weak. She might have to lead Defiance Bay against the Glanfalthans, and I doubt they'd back down from a Drake.

Of course, that encounter can be soloed. Also part of the reward is an overlevelled weapon.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

A Sometimes Food posted:

A few people seemed to get a bit pissy about him when he was every games kickstarter goal but after he left Obsidian and posted a few passive aggressive things on twitter about them some goons turned really hard on him.

A few people seem to think the fact he's not universally loved anymore as some kind of sign there's a hivemind that's turned on him.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

What would you say it sets out to do?

Portray a "believable", for however much meaning that word can be taken to have in regards to a computer game, priest in a fantasy setting. That's the character's concept, and I think it's really interesting and really good. But the execution doesn't live up to it. The writing is far too much at odds with everything else going on in the game. For one, and I think this is a criticism of PoE's writing in general more than it is of Avellone, the game is a straight power fantasy. But Durance, especially right at the start, is presented as too mysterious and untouchable, and most interactions as well as most of his interjections break you right out of the fantasy. Yes, eventually the facade starts to crack, but it's too late. The scene in which you meet him, for example, is really a great example of video game writing portraying an rear end in a top hat Gandalf. He's this bizarre figure, obviously holding tremendous power and deep wisdom under a tattered and unpleasing appearance. Except he's a level 3 priest with a mediocre stat spread who the PC could easily lay flat. Except when the dialogue decides she can't. He would be a good character with the benefit of some editing and if he knew which game he were in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Darkhold posted:

A few people seemed to get a bit pissy about him when he was every games kickstarter goal but after he left Obsidian and posted a few passive aggressive things on twitter about them some goons turned really hard on him.

A few people seem to think the fact he's not universally loved anymore as some kind of sign there's a hivemind that's turned on him.

I think generally he's still beloved generally, considering how often I hear him getting referenced in reverent terms. Even knowing about the weird Obsidian break-up puts you in a tiny minority. I think it's fair to say that the majority of the (probably small number) people who know who he is neither know nor care about his implied passive agressiveness towards Obsidian over twitter.

• Locked thread