Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Chili posted:

Holds true, and that I shouldn't expect every single thing that I read about to happen exactly when it should and all that.

So yeah, maybe I don't need a book. v:shobon:v

The diabolical genius of the baby advice industry has been doing the rounds recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a 4 year old who is giving me a lot of trouble with eating. He's very specific and changes pretty much daily what he will/won't eat. He gets really loving moody probably because he's hangry am I going to have to hook this little bastard up to a feed tube or what?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I've got a 4 year old who is giving me a lot of trouble with eating. He's very specific and changes pretty much daily what he will/won't eat. He gets really loving moody probably because he's hangry am I going to have to hook this little bastard up to a feed tube or what?

Just feed em ice cream

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Just make normal food, he can eat it or not, his choice. Eventually being hungry will trump fussiness. "You don't have to eat it" is your key phrase rather than pressuring kids to eat when they don't want and potentially causing weird food hangups.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sebzilla posted:

Just make normal food, he can eat it or not, his choice. Eventually being hungry will trump fussiness. "You don't have to eat it" is your key phrase

When do kids start to be able to understand this approach? I've mentioned it to my wife since our daughter, who turned two in October, is sometimes obstinate about food.,but my wife "doesn't want to starve her".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The kid won't starve.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hooah posted:

When do kids start to be able to understand this approach? I've mentioned it to my wife since our daughter, who turned two in October, is sometimes obstinate about food.,but my wife "doesn't want to starve her".

Your wife is wrong. Kids will never let themselves starve.

Here the policy is what is on the table is what you can eat. You don't have to finish your plate but you need to try everything if you want desert. You can only get one normal serving of desert, of you're still hungry after your plate is still there for you to eat.

Plenty of things or 2 year old won't eat, but he's getting better. He pretty much never went to bed hungry

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Flying tomorrow with two 10 month olds and their 3yo sister, car seats, etc.

God help us.

You’re drat right we’re dressing them identically, we’re gonna need all the sympathy we can get.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

God help us.

You’re drat right we’re dressing them identically, we’re gonna need all the sympathy we can get.

Go to a drug store and get some cheap ear plugs and a bag of candy. Pass some out to your neighbors on the plane. Great way to get those folks on your side.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

devmd01 posted:

God help us.

Good luck! It all depends on if they sleep, you could luck out. My 2-year-old was awake for 9 hours of our 14 hour flight to Australia. That was "fun" but we kept his disruptions to our neighbors to a minimum, he mostly wanted to hang out with the flight attendants and beg for pretzels. So many pretzels.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

hooah posted:

Ellyn Satter's book "How to get your kid to eat, but not too much" was really helpful to me. The philosophy is that mealtimes as a concept are more important than what/ how much kids eat in a particular sitting, and basically says that it's a parent's job to provide nutritious food at regular intervals, but not their responsibility to get the kid to eat it.

I've been really lucky because both of my children (ages six and four) have always been good at eating and enjoying a wide range of food, but Satter's approach helps me to stay relaxed whenever one of them goes through a fussy phase.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Our eldest two are polar opposites at dinner time. The eldest gets distracted too easily, and food for her is a distraction to playing or doing more fun things, and trying to get an answer out of her besides fine is like pulling teeth. The middle one eats really easily, eats everything we put out even if it’s weird, and conversation flows naturally with her.

I take solace in the fact that everyone struggles with something with their kids.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Apparently the way to get my 5 year old to play by himself in his room is to get a portable CD player with a Best of Queen cd in it. I had even tried playing music in his room through a tablet, but he was too distracted trying to get the tablet to watch something instead.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat all three were awesome yesterday. The boys were well behaved and only cried a little bit before falling asleep. The 3yo was a trooper, although she did get motion sickness on the flight down and puked all over her chair after we landed and were still taxiing. The lady that was sitting next to her and my wife was an angel and helped clean it up, since I was in the row behind due to only one infant per row allowed.

The lady right next to me can gently caress right off though, she was talking poo poo not quite under her breath about “karma owes me, this is my hell.” Lady, if I had any other option to go see my dad before he dies I wouldn’t be here, so how about you shut the gently caress up. I don’t like it either so how about you deal for an hour.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

devmd01 posted:

drat all three were awesome yesterday. The boys were well behaved and only cried a little bit before falling asleep. The 3yo was a trooper, although she did get motion sickness on the flight down and puked all over her chair after we landed and were still taxiing. The lady that was sitting next to her and my wife was an angel and helped clean it up, since I was in the row behind due to only one infant per row allowed.

The lady right next to me can gently caress right off though, she was talking poo poo not quite under her breath about “karma owes me, this is my hell.” Lady, if I had any other option to go see my dad before he dies I wouldn’t be here, so how about you shut the gently caress up. I don’t like it either so how about you deal for an hour.

I have never heard that "one infant per row" thing. What qualifies as an infant, a lap sitter?

And rude people on planes around kids can just go gently caress themselves sideways with a 2x4, no lube. Flights are the pain for which the joy of the trip is compared to. I took an army of kids from LAX to both Australia and Ireland. The flights were long and difficult (but manageable), but drat these kids talk about those trips nearly every single day. So you were annoyed for a little bit, my kids have been enriched for life!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

VorpalBunny posted:

I have never heard that "one infant per row" thing. What qualifies as an infant, a lap sitter?

And rude people on planes around kids can just go gently caress themselves sideways with a 2x4, no lube. Flights are the pain for which the joy of the trip is compared to. I took an army of kids from LAX to both Australia and Ireland. The flights were long and difficult (but manageable), but drat these kids talk about those trips nearly every single day. So you were annoyed for a little bit, my kids have been enriched for life!

A lap kid, because there are only 4 oxygen masks thingies per row in case you'd need to use them.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
We are in leap 7, off our solids and backed up (she hasn't really had a good poop for the last 3 days when normally she goes every day/every other day).

I did not realize so much of parenthood revolves around tracking another person's bowel movements. I just assumed babies are poop machines that just generate it round the clock.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My son's gonna need speech therapy :smith: He's just turned 2 but pretty much only says Mama, Dada, No, Yeah. The latter 2 to varying degrees. He clearly recognizes letters and numbers and animal sounds so I'm not freaking out, just worried.

Now if we can get him to stop throwing things :sigh: Tried redirecting, tried saying No, tried Time out. Just doesn't seem to stick.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

hooah posted:

When do kids start to be able to understand this approach?
My wife and her mother freak out when they offer our 2 year old rejects food. They fall over themselves like there's a bomb about to go off to get something else and usually fall back to cottage cheese and apple sauce but will sometimes fall back on treats/snacks like popsicles and crackers.

(It's hard to imagine why my 40 year old "vegetarian" wife's health has been slowly suffering in the past couple of years due to her almost exclusive diet of simple carbs and dairy and nearly no vegetables and absolutely no fruit. :iiam: )

When I feed my son, if he pushes the food away, I tell him he doesn't have to eat what's in front of him but I'm eating and he's staying at the table until I'm finished. Of the half-dozen times he's tried this with me, within a couple of minutes he'll pull the plate back and start picking at it, if not devouring it. Sometimes he needs encouragement from my fork ("Oh, is that a black bean? Do you mind if I help myself off your plate? YUM! Isn't that good?!").

I cook and feed (excluding daycare, but I prepare his lunch and snacks) him nearly 99% of his meals.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

My son's gonna need speech therapy :smith: He's just turned 2 but pretty much only says Mama, Dada, No, Yeah. The latter 2 to varying degrees. He clearly recognizes letters and numbers and animal sounds so I'm not freaking out, just worried.

Now if we can get him to stop throwing things :sigh: Tried redirecting, tried saying No, tried Time out. Just doesn't seem to stick.

Try not to beat yourself up over it. Lots of kids need a bit of help, mine included.

Check with your local school district (if it's good, otherwise ask around other parenting groups/preschool people for recs) for their early childhood assistance programs.

My son has been in his program for about two months now and it's already showing dividends in his speech.

As for the throwing stuff, been there too. :sigh: It's partially a phase so you just have to grit some of it out. Consistency, as always, is key.

My experience was more about getting attention so we had to be really conscious not to freak out when he threw something and calmly put him in time out. It took what seemed like forever and progress was super slow but the message sank in over a couple of months.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Cheesus posted:

(It's hard to imagine why my 40 year old "vegetarian" wife's health has been slowly suffering in the past couple of years due to her almost exclusive diet of simple carbs and dairy and nearly no vegetables and absolutely no fruit. :iiam: )

This is me. I became a vegetarian in high school for personal reasons but never really understood about making sure I got adequate nutrition, so my meals in college were bags of Fritos and cans of Diet Coke. I know better now but yes, I make sure my kids don't get too many sweets while I eat like garbage. :cheers:

3 of my 4 kids weren't too chatty around 2 years old. Only one has needed speech therapy so far, as he has trouble with his "S" sounds. The others just needed some time to find their voice, I guess. Maybe it helps there are so many of us in the family, but they all seemed to develop similarly. Of all the things we had to worry about in life, finding their voice was a bit further down the list.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

VorpalBunny posted:

This is me. I became a vegetarian in high school for personal reasons but never really understood about making sure I got adequate nutrition, so my meals in college were bags of Fritos and cans of Diet Coke. I know better now but yes, I make sure my kids don't get too many sweets while I eat like garbage. :cheers:
Me too. :(

I eat fairly well, but I do have my moments of absolute garbage. loving Easter with both jelly beans and Cadbury mini eggs.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

This is my kid too. He's 19 months but hasn't said a single word yet. He understands and his hearing is fine but just doesn't want to talk. It's frustrating for everybody because he just points and grunts if he wants something but at least he knows a couple signs now.

He did end up qualifying for help from Early Start but he hasn't had an actual session yet. We'll see what they do.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Irritated Goat posted:

My son was exactly the same. Was age 2 and didn't say a word. Speech therapy helped quite a bit and he is a chatterbox now, so don't worry too much.

Speech therapy does focus on things you, as parents, can do to coax words out of them. Things like vocalizing what you're doing, making them use words or sign language to ask for things (they taught him "please", for example), and talking about the toys they're playing with are all things they had us do.

Play dates with other kids, if he doesn't play with them already, also help. They recommended we set up play dates, put them in preschool or daycare, take them to story time, etc.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our middle kid was barely talking at 2, and was chatting all the time at 3. Some of it is that he had an overbearing and linguistically precocious older sister, and some of it is he's just a private person.

The real key was getting the big sister out of the way (by sending her to school), and it gave him a chance to flourish.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Leng posted:

We are in leap 7, off our solids and backed up (she hasn't really had a good poop for the last 3 days when normally she goes every day/every other day).

I did not realize so much of parenthood revolves around tracking another person's bowel movements. I just assumed babies are poop machines that just generate it round the clock.

they do all kinds of exciting things like not poop for 3 days and then have 5 blowouts per day for a week straight.

at this point (16 months) we just track sleep pretty much, rest of it doesn't seem that important.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Levitate posted:

they do all kinds of exciting things like not poop for 3 days and then have 5 blowouts per day for a week straight.

at this point (16 months) we just track sleep pretty much, rest of it doesn't seem that important.

I was going through old baby stuff and we just tossed a giant stack of poop and pee charts into the recycling. It's a very unique phase. Had some choice notes in there describing colors or consistencies, although my favorite was just: "DEFINITELY"

Just want to add that not pooping is something to notice, but not peeing is dangerous. So long as the diaper is wet at least twice or thrice daily, no poops usually just means they'll uh, catch up later.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My 5 year old today went into the basketball club after school, hadn’t asked us if she was allowed to, and got one of her friends to come out and tell the childminder she doesn’t need picking up.

She’s 5, gently caress me this is hard. I’d take the baby stage over this.

How do I even begin to deal with this

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
How do my wife and I get over the crushing guilt of giving our daughter antibiotics? We're big readers and and everything we read says that antibiotics affect your gut flora and that can lead to all sorts of unknown issues.... but our daughter needs the antibiotics to treat her ear infection so yeah. She's getting 'em. How do you all handle it?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ACValiant posted:

How do my wife and I get over the crushing guilt of giving our daughter antibiotics? We're big readers and and everything we read says that antibiotics affect your gut flora and that can lead to all sorts of unknown issues.... but our daughter needs the antibiotics to treat her ear infection so yeah. She's getting 'em. How do you all handle it?

Do you want to temporarily mess up her gut flora or potentially damage her hearing or make her sicker?

Modern medicine is wonderful.
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/qa/what-happens-if-an-ear-infection-is-left-untreated

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Alterian posted:

Do you want to temporarily mess up her gut flora or potentially damage her hearing or make her sicker?

Modern medicine is wonderful.
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/qa/what-happens-if-an-ear-infection-is-left-untreated

I'm well aware of this which is why we're giving her the antibiotics. I just have this guilt about the whole thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ACValiant posted:

I'm well aware of this which is why we're giving her the antibiotics. I just have this guilt about the whole thing.

Don't. Really, just don't. She's sick and you're being a responsible parent by getting her the care she needs to get better.

You aren't chopping off her arm to keep a contagion from spreading. Her gut bacteria will recover.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Feed your kid yogurt with active cultures to help recolonize whatever gets wiped out?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Supplement with probiotics! We started giving my son a daily probiotic when we transitioned him to cow’s milk and he got constipated. You can find the raw powder form at your health food store in the refrigerated section. We mix it into milk. We did it for a year and now he seems to have regulated so we stopped.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Hi_Bears posted:

Supplement with probiotics! We started giving my son a daily probiotic when we transitioned him to cow’s milk and he got constipated. You can find the raw powder form at your health food store in the refrigerated section. We mix it into milk. We did it for a year and now he seems to have regulated so we stopped.

When our son had an ear infection (first of multiple already..), our doctor said antibiotics and supplement with probiotics to replace. He's perfectly fine and yogurt is one of his favorite foods now so :shrug:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Feed your kid yogurt with active cultures to help recolonize whatever gets wiped out?

Walmart et. al have kids probiotics in little packs. Our pediatrician recommended adding half of one of those into bottles / whatever to help prevent gut issues for the little one.

Also, you're going to want to work on that guilt thing. You're going to make millions of parenting decisions one way or another about your kid and you're not going to do it perfectly.

Also, there is no perfectly. Nobody has the "perfect" kid because they made all the correct decisions. There is a lot of luck in the outcome.

Are you paying attention to your kid right now? Are you on the computer / phone? Are you doing anything other than giving your child 1000000% attention / supervision / support / learning / whatever? Do you feel guilty about that? Dont.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ACValiant posted:

Get therapy if you are seriously feeling guilt over providing medically appropriate care for your child. Seriously. Feeling crushing guilt over proper medical care is not a typical reaction.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
And if you're reading blogs about how you shouldn't give kids medicine because it hurts them in some way and that's why you're feeling guilty then stop reading those things. Being "natural" shouldn't mean withholding or feeling guilty about using appropriate medication for your kid.

I'm jumping to conclusions by saying that so if it's not applicable then ignore or whatever but I guess just try not to get caught up in worrying about those kind of things. Antibiotics are good for your child in this situation, don't feel guilty, you're doing the right thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I hate giving my kid antibiotics because its a 50/50 chance it will be a battle that ends up in having to force it in his mouth. Who knew having dogs was a great training tool for having kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My daughter is nine months old. Changing diapers and dressing her is turning into a variation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.