Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There aren't exactly a whole lot of innovations in IT, mostly it's just someone rediscovering something that was first invented 2 to 5 decades ago. Just take virtualization, containers, and capabilities - the two first didn't really start being introduced (on x86, at least) until the mid-to-late 90s (VMware and FreeBSD jails, respectively), and the third is still mostly a research thing (CheriBSD) despite dating back to the 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Fijitsu's new LAN port on laptops is pretty great. Too thin? gently caress no.

loss lans.jpg

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We have bought a handful of fujitsu U937 for our C-types and we are providing a choice of usb lan adapters or docking station as the "origami", as we called that clockwork mess of a lan port, is not going to last in the hands of our average user.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have the simpler style where the wires are fixed and there's a flap that swings down to catch the clip on the cord on my Asus and it's a pile of poo poo. The spring wore out in a few months and it often doesn't grip cables tightly.

I wish these vendors would just stop. Either give me a proper ethernet port or just put a Thunderbolt port there so I can have a dongle that doesn't suck. Inevitably the lovely port is backed up by some Realtek nonsense, or even worse "Killer" gamer trash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't really feel that a laptop that was the thickness of an ethernet jack would be too thick either.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really feel that a laptop that was the thickness of an ethernet jack would be too thick either.
That too, I truly don't understand the quest for thinness. If a laptop is too thin for a normal ethernet jack (or if a phone is too thin for a headphone jack) that means it could use more battery.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

wolrah posted:

That too, I truly don't understand the quest for thinness.

:same:

Great news! Our new cell phone is 1/8th of an inch thinner! Okay, I don't actually care though. Please give me a removable battery again.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Our fujitsu superthin laptops throttle the gently caress out of everything that is not word so maybe i would have preferred a bit more thickness if that meant more copper to handle the heat. On the other hand as usb 3.1 has nowadays more bandwidth than gigabit ethernet i'd prefer more usb-c ports than this otherworldy contraptions.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wolrah posted:

That too, I truly don't understand the quest for thinness. If a laptop is too thin for a normal ethernet jack (or if a phone is too thin for a headphone jack) that means it could use more battery.

All that CEOs remember about laptops and phones are these two pictures:

And these things then trigger them in some funny way and they swear to never let it happen again. How do you fix the problem of mobile devices being too bulky? By making them too thin and fragile and useless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

Great news! Our new cell phone is 1/8th of an inch thinner! Okay, I don't actually care though. Please give me a removable battery again.

I like a phone that's thick enough that I can at least somewhat pin it between my shoulder and Ear without the touchscreen turning on and recognizing my cheek as an input device. What I don't like are phones that are longer than a checkbook and start poking out of my pocket when so much as jostled.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't be the only person who sees a ruggedised milspec laptop on TV and thinks "yes, that is what I want".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Renegret posted:

They want you to buy a new phone when the battery dies and its out of warranty. You aren't getting this back.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I can't be the only person who sees a ruggedised milspec laptop on TV and thinks "yes, that is what I want".

You aren't.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Make that PowerBook 50% battery and you'd have my business. Also a WMD.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How many of you actually lug your laptops around all the time? Give me the smallest, thinnest, lightest laptop possible, my back thanks you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then don't bitch when the battery is poo poo and it's not super powerful.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Jaded Burnout posted:

How many of you actually lug your laptops around all the time? Give me the smallest, thinnest, lightest laptop possible, my back thanks you.

Everywhere I go. But my bag has about 15 pounds of miscellaneous wires, connectors, and other poo poo weighing it down anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Then don't bitch when the battery is poo poo and it's not super powerful.

I don't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah sorry, not meant for you specifically. It happens with our marketing/sales folks a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arquinsiel posted:

I wanted a Tadpole or that fake SGI laptop from Twister so bad when I was a youngin'

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I lug a T430 around with me everywhere, soon it will be my E4400 or whatever it is (also big), also a book or two, notebook and misc poo poo, get a decent backpack and it won't bother you provided you mess with straps etc so it's not hanging too low/up to high.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Everywhere I go. But my bag has about 15 pounds of miscellaneous wires, connectors, and other poo poo weighing it down anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i'm pretty sure that if a computer has lost its trust relationship with the dc and the local admin account is disabled, i'm just entirely hosed, right?

It's a surface book so I can't even rip the drive :laffo:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sickening posted:

They want you to buy a new phone when the battery dies and its out of warranty. You aren't getting this back.

The cynic in me knows this but I'm still going to be angry about it.

I also miss keypads but I've given up on them.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pull it off the network and log in with a cached domain account. Then you can repair the trust relationship. Assuming the cached account has admin privileges.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kurieg posted:

I like a phone that's thick enough that I can at least somewhat pin it between my shoulder and Ear without the touchscreen turning on and recognizing my cheek as an input device. What I don't like are phones that are longer than a checkbook and start poking out of my pocket when so much as jostled.

The crazy thing is that you'd only need to make the phone 4mm thicker and you'd double the battery life. I could live with the extra thickness.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
If you get the ultimate boot cd, boot to it you should be able to activate the built in admin account and set a password. You'll have to launch Parted then reset windows password in the GUI. This will start the chntpw app. You should be able to activate from there. I've never tried it with Win 10, but works fine with Win 7.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Varkk posted:

Pull it off the network and log in with a cached domain account. Then you can repair the trust relationship. Assuming the cached account has admin privileges.

this might be the first time in my career so far I've seen an entirely legitimate reason why you'd need a user's domain password

all this time i've been telling folks "hey we'll never ask for your password, if we need access for reasons we can always reset poo poo, never tell anyone your password" in the vain hope of stopping people from loudly volunteering their system password for all to hear.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I wanted a Tadpole or that fake SGI laptop from Twister so bad when I was a youngin'

I had a Tadpole Sparcbook 2 I got from a state surplus auction years ago - it was indeed cool even if it was super impractical. Unfortunately I never got it to boot due to a bad EEPROM or something like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weedle posted:

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.

:stare:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

https://i.imgur.com/JAwDYwV.gifv

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

so i'm pretty sure that if a computer has lost its trust relationship with the dc and the local admin account is disabled, i'm just entirely hosed, right?

Would that repair disk, command line, reassign the function of sticky keys thing work, or would that not work since local admin is disabled? Could that same access enable the admin account?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

I hope it can push 1000Mb/s.

So it can be Gigabit LAN, Slim.

GLANS.jpg

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would that repair disk, command line, reassign the function of sticky keys thing work, or would that not work since local admin is disabled? Could that same access enable the admin account?

Yes. Unless the PC is on Windows 10, because they finally fixed that exploit.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

The Iron Rose posted:

this might be the first time in my career so far I've seen an entirely legitimate reason why you'd need a user's domain password

all this time i've been telling folks "hey we'll never ask for your password, if we need access for reasons we can always reset poo poo, never tell anyone your password" in the vain hope of stopping people from loudly volunteering their system password for all to hear.

Bootable flash drive with NT password reset should allow you to enable and blank out the local admin password (assuming the hard drive isn't encrypted). After you're in, set the local admin password to whatever you wish.

https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hungry Computer posted:

Yes. Unless the PC is on Windows 10, because they finally fixed that exploit.

It was fixed on 8 too. Repair tools required an admin password and couldn't be accessed otherwise. I don't think I ever saw a way around that one.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

Nthing the NT password reset tool others have mentioned, but since you mentioned pulling the drive I assume you're trying to get to the data, you should still be able to boot off any number of Linux recovery CDs/thumbdrives and just mount the NTFS drive there. Assuming it's not encrypted like TWBalls said, and that Surfaces aren't so locked down that they can't boot Linux.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ease of access exploit still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turns out it has bitlocker (good), but it also turns out the recovery key wasn't saved like it should have been so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll try the cached domain account first, but thank you for all those wonderfully fun ideas! This is much more exciting now.