Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SiKboy posted:

The only good simpsons episodes with guest stars are the ones where the guest star is playing a character rather than themselves. No exceptions. Okay, one or two exceptions, but seriously not many. And when I think about it, at least two of the exceptions feature a beatle.

What a nice fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

CommonShore posted:

My favourite part of 30 Rock is the fake comedy sketches. Whatever else happens, those were written in such a way that they can never become dated.

Such a great hidden running joke that they keep doing robot/bear sketches.

Sarcopenia posted:

I second that. When I rewatch it it always amazes me that I missed several good jokes because there are just so many of them.I will also always love them for calling out Bill Cosby for being a rapist way before it got national attention.

And Harvey Weinstein.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The worst Simpsons guest appearance I can think of was Ronaldo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They had done some chess master a couple seasons ago. And a couple NYT writers. All I could think was "Who is this for? Who asked for this?" Even when celebrity cameos stoopped to people like Tony Hawk, you could at least understand why they were chosen. Now it feels like an insular joke written for no one.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh, I don't remember this. Was it centered around him?
Guest appearances where they are playing themselves are just fine because they actually write a character for them and don't have to be scared to make fun of the actual person. The only thing that kind of irks me about it (same with movies) is that actors are mostly not trained voice actors and it often shows.
One of my favorite celeb characters in the Simpsons is Merryl Streep playing Jessica Lovejoy because wow it does not sound like her.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first one that comes to my mind is the 300th episode which had Tony Hawk. I remember the ads here in the UK made a huge deal about it and it was a snooze all round.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

But where is my bug bomb? :(

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

SiKboy posted:

The only good simpsons episodes with guest stars are the ones where the guest star is playing a character rather than themselves. No exceptions. Okay, one or two exceptions, but seriously not many. And when I think about it, at least two of the exceptions feature a beatle.

Mark Hammil is one of my favorite guest voices because he plays both himself and a character (the bodyguard instructor, which I didn't realize until years later).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes April.

Mostly because she was so insecure she basically bullied Ann for 6 seasons.

Ann was a terrible character and complete waste of Rashida Jones.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

But will it be sarcastic and in love with one if the astronauts?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

Ann was a terrible character and complete waste of Rashida Jones.

Even Andy Samberg's vastly superior remake of the show can't improve her character much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

Even Andy Samberg's vastly superior remake of the show can't improve her character much.

wow step the gently caress off Gina Linetti she is too precious and pure for you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

wow step the gently caress off Gina Linetti she is too precious and pure for you

Boyle is the wet best friend character.

Gina is April.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Mar 8, 2018

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

SiKboy posted:

Agreed with the stipulation that Simpsons Ron Howard counts as a character.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Homer at the Bat was also very good, and had arguably the largest number of non-character guest stars. Basically because everyone except for Darryl Strawberry and Don Mattingly were playing silly version of themselves, and even then they were usually the butt of the jokes instead of the perpetrators. I think that's what the guest star stuff lost. The guests became this weird, untouchable thing that would either just float off at the end of the episode or get hurt in some way, but never really be directly mocked or put in weird situations where they weren't on top.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

Homer at the Bat was also very good, and had arguably the largest number of non-character guest stars. Basically because everyone except for Darryl Strawberry and Don Mattingly were playing silly version of themselves, and even then they were usually the butt of the jokes instead of the perpetrators. I think that's what the guest star stuff lost. The guests became this weird, untouchable thing that would either just float off at the end of the episode or get hurt in some way, but never really be directly mocked or put in weird situations where they weren't on top.

I remember enjoying that one where Homer went to Rock Star Fantasy Camp at the time, but I don't think I've seen it since 2003, so who knows if it holds up

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember enjoying that one where Homer went to Rock Star Fantasy Camp at the time, but I don't think I've seen it since 2003, so who knows if it holds up

I remember that episode had a montage during the credits showing the guest stars literally phoning in their dialogue

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

SpacePig posted:

i agree 100%. a similar episode (when it comes to guest stars) where they go to lollapalooza is a good example of how NOT to do guest stars. other than frampton, the guest stars didnt do anything but deliver bad punch lines. it was pretty clear that the writers didnt know and/or didnt give a poo poo about the guests. i like the episode overall despite this, but it was a pretty weak episode especially for being season 7.

Hackers film 1995 has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Mar 8, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

sassassin posted:

Boyle is the wet best friend character.

Gina is Andy.

They have almost nothing in common. If anything I would say Boyle is closer to Leslie

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i agree 100%. a similar episode (when it comes to guest stars) where they go to lollapalooza is a good example of how NOT to do guest stars. other than frampton, the guest stars didnt do anything but deliver bad punch lines. it was pretty clear that the writers didnt know and/or didnt give a poo poo about the guests. i like the episode overall despite this, but it was a pretty week episode especially for being season 7.

I think my favorite bad one is still Mark McGwire. He just shows up, everyone goes "Mark McGwire?!", an attempt at a joke is made, and then the episode ends. Later episodes just seem to have become that stretched out to a full half an hour.

e

Gum posted:

They have almost nothing in common. If anything I would say Boyle is closer to Leslie

Boyle's an even split between Leslie and Andy.
Gina's an even split between April and Donna.
Amy's an even split between Leslie and Ann.
Rosa's an even split between April and Ron.
Holt's an even split between Ron and Ben.
Jake's basically just a likable Tom.
Terry's basically just buff Chris Traeger with kids.

Hitchcock and Scully are the opposite sides of the Jerry coin.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Mar 8, 2018

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I think my favorite bad one is still Mark McGwire. He just shows up, everyone goes "Mark McGwire?!", an attempt at a joke is made, and then the episode ends. Later episodes just seem to have become that stretched out to a full half an hour.

I just remember his Simpsonized design being really... off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gum posted:

The characters fill the same broad story functions rather than specific character traits.

You've got the eccentric lead who loves their job, the stern boss passing wisdom, a dedicated best friend, wacky office moron, aloof office commentator, the character(s) it's okay to bully etc.

It's the same colouring book with nicer crayons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Mark McGwire episode was also the one where Bart gets put on Ritalin and goes full tinfoil hat and ends up driving a tank through town.

People in the 90s were almost as terrified of Ritalin as they were about the Y2K poo poo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

purple death ray posted:

The Mark McGwire episode was also the one where Bart gets put on Ritalin and goes full tinfoil hat and ends up driving a tank through town.

People in the 90s were almost as terrified of Ritalin as they were about the Y2K poo poo

He actually gets put on a Ritalin parody, and is put back on Ritalin by name at the end of the episode.
:goonsay:

But yeah, it's a real weird episode on its own that I don't think has a clear message, since Bart ends up being right in his paranoia. It's kind of stupid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While it still has some funny jokes the Simpsons episode where Marge goes into Real Estate has a very "Old white male" joke right at the end, where they act like Marge going on the dole after losing her job is a shameful thing. "$300 for doing nothing? I feel like such a crook..."

For starters, you are the matriarch of a family of 5 - $300 is all you could get despite that, possibly due to your husband's paycheck. Still think that they gave you a lot? Secondly what dole office really gives something for nothing? If disability you need to prove over and over that you are really disabled, if unemployment you need to provide evidence weekly that you are actively looking for work, and if child benefits that's reliant on the household income plus the amount of dependant children - the minute Bart moves out/hits 18 that paycheck gets slashed more than the price of the house you sold.

Such an outdated joke in an economy where a lot of people are stuck on the dole themselves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sarcopenia posted:

Huh, I don't remember this. Was it centered around him?

No, it's in an episode where the A-plot is Marge getting into an MMORPG and discovering that Bart is a griefer; the B-plot is Homer refereeing Lisa's football game and Ronaldo shows up largely out of the blue to give him advice, which causes him to upset Lisa, then at the end of his appearance, Ronaldo says, "Another family ruined by Ronaldo!" and flies away. It was one of those, "Why is [celebrity] even here?" examples.

Not Operator posted:

The first one that comes to my mind is the 300th episode which had Tony Hawk. I remember the ads here in the UK made a huge deal about it and it was a snooze all round.

Having never seen The Office, the amount of hype Sky One put into the episode which was written and guest-starred Ricky Gervais was so obnoxious it put me off him completely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that the episode he walks off an elevator and hugs Michael and leaves? I can't even remember the rest of the episode. Is it one of the ones with Will Ferrell?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There's an episode with Michael where they meet. And there's one later where he sends in a video job application for manager. Neither are great but I am pretty much 100% not into Gervais as talent or human

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Ricky Gervais is amazing as David Brent on The Office (UK) but it later became evident that this was because he wasn't acting, he just was that insufferable.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Michael Jackson playing Michael Jackson was the best Simpsons guest star :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Not Operator posted:

Ricky Gervais is amazing as David Brent on The Office (UK) but it later became evident that this was because he wasn't acting, he just was that insufferable.

The ending of The Office (UK) is still one of the most heartwarming things I've seen and makes me happy when I think of it. And it made me love 'Only You' by Yazoo even more than I already did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did anyone watch the new David Brent movie thing? Is it worth me checking out or is it as boring as his other post Extras shows?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone watch the new David Brent movie thing? Is it worth me checking out or is it as boring as his other post Extras shows?

If you didn’t see that half hour pre-Office thing where he’s the owner of a chain of video stores who wants to be the worlds best David Bowie impersonator, you’re missing out.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Not Operator posted:

Isn't this what keeps happening with Gervais? People think he's being so edgy with his humour, then find out that he's actually just a oval office.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/SWAIM_CORP/status/971583413814636547

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's a solid burn honestly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

purple death ray posted:

That's a solid burn honestly

It is, and it's also REALLY dark

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that the episode he walks off an elevator and hugs Michael and leaves? I can't even remember the rest of the episode. Is it one of the ones with Will Ferrell?

I think they were still talking about Simpsons guest stars...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's wrong because she said "You're not 21 and her village didn't just burn down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

sassassin posted:

The characters fill the same broad story functions rather than specific character traits.

You've got the eccentric lead who loves their job, the stern boss passing wisdom, a dedicated best friend, wacky office moron, aloof office commentator, the character(s) it's okay to bully etc.

It's the same colouring book with nicer crayons.

Those are some super vague descriptions

E:Who's the wacky office moron if Boyle is taken?

E2: none of those match amy or terry so I'm guessing one of them?

Gum has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 8, 2018