Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Warbird posted:

I meant to ask, is there any weirdness with FWD vehicles I should know about? I’ve only ever had RWD before now.

I think you've discovered most of it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
If you hit the gas hard while going straight, you might experience lift off oversteer.

It's the best part about sporty fwd cars.

Hit the gas on a tight on ramp and you might experience understeer, the bad part of fwd cars.

Besides that eh, it's just a (fun) car. Keep in mind that traction is going to be a trade off between turning grip and acceleration and you will be fine.

Finally got a buy order for a FiST, the last two that I looked at used got sold out from under me while I got the check from the credit union. Seems stock besides an exhaust, and they already took the st badge off of it for max cop invisibility. Not a bad deal for 14.3k.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If you hit the gas hard while going straight, you might experience lift off oversteer.

It's the best part about sporty fwd cars.

Hit the gas on a tight on ramp and you might experience understeer, the bad part of fwd cars.

Besides that eh, it's just a (fun) car. Keep in mind that traction is going to be a trade off between turning grip and acceleration and you will be fine.

Finally got a buy order for a FiST, the last two that I looked at used got sold out from under me while I got the check from the credit union. Seems stock besides an exhaust, and they already took the st badge off of it for max cop invisibility. Not a bad deal for 14.3k.

You'll be invisible to everyone no matter what. I can't even count the number of times I've had someone pull out in front of me just a little too close. Way more than when I had my GTI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Wat.

FWD is easy-mode, you don't end up going backwards into poo poo when you gently caress up.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Take your hand off the wheel and mash the gently caress out of the gas pedal.

That's lift off oversteer and it's loving *hilarious* in a compact car.

Terrifying when it's your first car that isn't a commuterbox and you don't think it should/could happen though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's torque steer, lift-off oversteer is when you push the car into a corner on throttle, then abruptly lift the throttle. You'll transfer the weight balance to the front of the car and let the back end get light and rotate, depending on how aggressive the car is set up.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ya got me, don't listen to YouTube car reviews for the names of poo poo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You'll love the FiST then, most torque steer of anything I've driven :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wasn’t aware of the “may try to kill you” factor. That’ll be an interesting change after the couch like experience that was the Jeep.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You'll be fine, a stock GTI is docile.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The ones I test drove had more torque steer than my incredibly shittily built b20vtec which both shocked and amazed me.

After that I decided I needed one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

Try a first gen MS3

Anyway lift off oversteer is what you got on old Honda models like my second gen Integra and it’s exactly what it sounds like - lift off mid corner and the car will snap from under steering to over steering in the blink of an eye. Other old FWDs like the Peugeot 205 were also notorious for it but it isn’t something you’ll typically find in a modern car with standard suspension.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

really?

I barely notice even a twitch of the wheel even dropping it hard, nothing compared to the FoST anyways

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The MS3 has some massive torque steer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sneakyfrog posted:

really?

I barely notice even a twitch of the wheel even dropping it hard, nothing compared to the FoST anyways

It's night and day compared to a GTI or CTR.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Warbird posted:

I meant to ask, is there any weirdness with FWD vehicles I should know about? I’ve only ever had RWD before now.
Aside from the aforementioned torque steer (which can get really interesting on bumpy country roads) the biggest FWD quirk I find annoying is the fact that you can't throttle out of a skid. Making a left turn in an icy intersection and having the car basically want to go straight is the opposite of what I want. In a RWD car you can kick it around if you know what you're doing. In a FWD once the front lets go your only choice is to back off the gas and hope it cooperates before you drive in to something.

Basically what it comes down to is that FWD is safer not because it's more controllable but because when you lose control you're going to crash in roughly a straight line rather than spinning and possibly taking a tree/oncoming truck directly to the door.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yesterday I was treated to the sight of a veteran salesman being simultaneously surprised and dismayed at his employer's markup on a Civic Type R. I think it may have been legit; dude suggested I wait a few months or look in Iowa.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’d have to say the worst torque steer I’ve ever experienced was an SRT4, the Fiesta is pretty mild. Stock the Neon was bad to begin with, then my buddy dumped a bunch of money into it and it was awful until you just couldn’t do anything but get wheelspin in the first few gears.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I just went from a 1st-gen MS3 to a Fiesta ST and the lack of torque steer in comparison is wild.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Midjack posted:

Yesterday I was treated to the sight of a veteran salesman being simultaneously surprised and dismayed at his employer's markup on a Civic Type R. I think it may have been legit; dude suggested I wait a few months or look in Iowa.

Haha, yeah, that poo poo is retarded. I am biding my time until they come off lease.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
On the subject of torque steer and suspension geometry-related phenomena, does anyone know where one might find the full suspension specs of a car? I’m thinking about wheel and tyre changes for my FiST and I want to either keep my scrub radius as close to stock as possible (or change it via going to a different offset wheel if that looks like it will be beneficial to do so).

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
All this talk of speed threes is making me want to cancel my buy on the fiesta.

Or at least take one for a spin (directly into the barrier of an on ramp).

Yall are some enabling jerks

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

All this talk of speed threes is making me want to cancel my buy on the fiesta.

Or at least take one for a spin (directly into the barrier of an on ramp).

Yall are some enabling jerks

I miss mine terribly and kinda wish I never sold it.

Definitely the right choice though, it was still tidy so I got a good trade in deal on a boring new model 3 which I never have to worry about maintenance on.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
The torque steer in my buddy's bone stock FoST is way worse than my "stage 2" FiST.

Anyways I wanted to ask about winter tire setups. Is it normal for winter tires to be absolute dogshit on anything other than snow? I have Hercules Avalanche tires on my FiST and they get gently caress all grip on dry roads even when the temp is below 30 Fahrenheit. They are fantastic in the snow, but I think I'm just going to get all seasons for my winter setup next year. poo poo feels legit dangerous to drive on dry roads. Oh, and they make my car shake even when properly inflated. I dunno, maybe they are a bum set though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Winters are good in snow and lower temps. But in the dry they aren't great for grip, usually. The treads are too big and blocky so they squirm a shitload.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can get winter tires that are more of a compromise though. I have Blizzak LM001's on my RS and they drive great on pavement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

True. Blizzaks are a "performance winter" tire or some such. They're better for that.

I just don't drive like a knob (as much) in the winter. :v:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

I miss mine terribly and kinda wish I never sold it.

Same, I miss mine big time. Such an awesome car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy crap my car is still being worked on. They're saying Tuesday now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rape Stink posted:

Anyways I wanted to ask about winter tire setups. Is it normal for winter tires to be absolute dogshit on anything other than snow? I have Hercules Avalanche tires on my FiST and they get gently caress all grip on dry roads even when the temp is below 30 Fahrenheit. They are fantastic in the snow, but I think I'm just going to get all seasons for my winter setup next year. poo poo feels legit dangerous to drive on dry roads. Oh, and they make my car shake even when properly inflated. I dunno, maybe they are a bum set though.
I have never heard of Hercules tires in general, so that's probably a sign they're not the greatest to begin with.

Winter tires will definitely be worse than summers in the dry, but shouldn't be much worse than a moderate all-season unless they get really warm. As noted performance winter tires are available which can handle more aggressive driving better at the cost of a bit of extreme snow/ice performance. My General Altimax Arctics handle well enough that I feel comfortable taking onramps at highway speed, but the Blizzak LMs were definitely a lot better (and carried a higher speed rating, the Generals are only rated to 100 where the Blizzaks were good up to 130).

The Generals are worn out after this season and I'm thinking about going full crazy next winter with some Hakkapeliitta R3s.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

You can get winter tires that are more of a compromise though. I have Blizzak LM001's on my RS and they drive great on pavement.

I have some Blizzak WS80s on my RS, and aside from some really bad road noise on damp pavement, they handle/grip great in dry and snow/slush.

Which is more than I can say for the RS undertray. It's seriously made out of the same thing as the hatch cargo cover. As soon as it gets wet in the winter, it rips to shreds and packs snow up in it.

(My 8mm aluminum undertray arrived this week)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My 185/60/15 winters are squirmy, I can feel the sidewall flex during lane changes. You get used to it, but it’s not confidence inspiring for driving quick.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God I'm glad I don't have to deal with snow. It sounds like a major pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

here sits a man who never drove a 9-3 Viggen

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Warbird posted:

God I'm glad I don't have to deal with snow. It sounds like a major pain in the rear end.

It's a lot of fun when you know what you're doing, especially when it's bad enough out to scare most of the lovely drivers off the road. I love plowing through snow and tossing the car around.

One of the car blogs linked a video on FB the other day of someone just dancing a panel van Fiesta back and forth across an empty snow-covered highway, doing probably <15 MPH but certainly having a ton of fun.

It's also one of the few times when you can drift in front of a cop and not even get a second glance because they're doing the same thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolrah posted:

It's a lot of fun when you know what you're doing, especially when it's bad enough out to scare most of the lovely drivers off the road. I love plowing through snow and tossing the car around.

One of the car blogs linked a video on FB the other day of someone just dancing a panel van Fiesta back and forth across an empty snow-covered highway, doing probably <15 MPH but certainly having a ton of fun.

It's also one of the few times when you can drift in front of a cop and not even get a second glance because they're doing the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UssybCVjNg&t=510s

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I can understand the appeal, but that would squarely fall into stark terror for me. Might be fun to try and learn to drift though.

Another GTI flashed his lights at me as he passed. Is this what it’s like to have a Miata?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are in the GTI club

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Most other GTI owners completely ignore me. Maybe because they think I’m too ricey? The world may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Etrips posted:

Most other GTI owners completely ignore me. Maybe because they think I’m too ricey? The world may never know.

how do you rice out a gti?

i mean i have lit door sills in the fiesta so i guess im riced out as gently caress but really?

big fart can on it or something?