Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/971763423854854145?s=21

Not animation; but Jon Favreau is working on a live action tv series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Would that be the series they previously announced for the Disney streaming service?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Thwomp posted:

Would that be the series they previously announced for the Disney streaming service?

Given the press release linked in the tweet says this, yes.

quote:

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform. Favreau is no stranger to the Star Wars galaxy having played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drunkill posted:

They said the ships in orbit just disappeared. So I presume there are 10 or so ISDs and a few support ships all together in the unknown regions. A tidy little fleet (without many supplies) to form some sort of order out there.

The final Imperial fleet at Lothal numbered 5 ISDs (at least 1 of which was destroyed by the Purrgil and crash landed on Lothal), plus Thrawn's ISD flagship when he returned, 4 Dreadnoughts Imperial Support Vessels, 8 Light Cruisers, and harder to tell but through extrapolation I make it 12 Gozanti cruisers (you got one shot of two groups of three, but the formations are all repeated four times for the other smaller ships), plus the 5 construction spheres

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 8, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Thwomp posted:

Oh hey, shout out to Filoni for Thrawn’s pathos.

I love that he calls out the Jedi, not for being weak, but for using their power through a moral code.

He’s not like a “I hate puppies and sunshine” evil mustache twirler.
Nor is he some kind of fallen idealist.

He knows exactly what he wants: power. And will use and ally with whatever accomplishes his goals to achieve more power.

He’d feel right at home next to Jedi if they were less moralistic in their use of their powers.

I’m trying to remember if he was like that in the original Zahn books. All I remember was brilliant tactician and studier of cultures.

In the original books he was very much about finding sources of power and using them in unconventional ways, which does tie in to the brilliant tactician aspect of his character. On the force side of things, he's willing to team up with an unstable dark-side aligned clone of a jedi master because he was a useful tool, and he kept himself safe through things like the special force-immunity bubble creatures he'd found, and promising him he'd kidnap Leia's kids or Luke for him.

He seemed more all-in on the Empire's ideals in his first book appearances, so I can't remember any particular times where he worked with "good guys." The closest to that might have been him trying to work with smuggling groups for both supplies and information, and not just trying to wipe them out which sounds like more of the standard imperial position.

It's also worth noting that so much was still not explored in Star Wars since the Thrawn Trilogy was the first proper Star Wars books, so even terms like "Sith" weren't around, the clone wars were nebulous and not defined, etc., you had the original trilogy and maybe a few comics to tie in to, compared to the massive web of Legends content that ended up produced and an increasing amount of content across multiple media since the Disney acquisition.

One interesting thing from the Zahn books that I don't see mentioned much is that he floated the theory (with no proof, since the people making the theories were just some guys who were at Endor) that Palpatine used the force to influence and control his space forces, similar to the battle meditation idea of The Old Republic. Someone points out that even after the Death Star was blown up at Endor they should have been able to win the battle, but everyone in charge suddenly panicked and ran away, essentially. I'd enjoy more cases of people wondering if the Force was responsible for something or if it's just how things turned out, rather than the direct throughline we typically see of a Jedi or Sith waving their hands and making something for sure happen. Palpatine seemed like just the right guy to float that theory at too, and I like the possibility that he's helping micromanage a massive space battle on top of sitting on his throne talking to Luke.

I mean, in a universe with people who can directly cloud, manipulate and even fully control the minds of others, there's not much paranoia about people's motivations and such.

This is all mostly beside the point though, this was a fine finale and I'm glad that we're definitely going to see Ezra and Thrawn's stories continue in some fashion down the line. I'll dare to dream that we get a series focused in Chiss space and seeing them deal with the wild threats in the unknown regions, guest starring people like Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka as our window into that society. I'd love to see their reactions to a group with similar beliefs to Thrawn and with big similarities to the Empire, but ultimately being essentially neutral aligned with some negative aspects but plenty of positives as well, and little or none of the outright villainy that the Empire practiced.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we confirmation that Pellaeon did not explode. So yeah it's likely the Purgil did very light damage to the imperial fleet and just warped them out of there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also we confirmation that Pellaeon did not explode. So yeah it's likely the Purgil did very light damage to the imperial fleet and just warped them out of there.

We didn't though, all we got was the on screen dialogue specifying that the blockade had been destroyed, followed by Pellaeon being cut off mid sentence. Even down on the surface, of the three ISDs there, only one - Thrawn's Chimaera - was visibly pulled into hyperspace, with one destroyed on screen, and one not accounted for.

All of it happening off screen means they could always change it for the next series though.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 8, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks to Rebels I finally know how to properly pronounce "Pellaeon".

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

NTRabbit posted:

We didn't though, all we got was the on screen dialogue specifying that the blockade had been destroyed, followed by Pellaeon being cut off mid sentence. Even down on the surface, of the three ISDs there, only one - Thrawn's Chimaera - was visibly pulled into hyperspace, with one destroyed on screen, and one not accounted for.

All of it happening off screen means they could always change it for the next series though.

Seems Filoni confirmed he's alive.

quote:

“Sir, they came out of hyperspace,” Pellaeon says to Thrawn in Rebels’ finale. “I’ve never seen....” He’s cut off. Is he dead? No, Filoni exclusively told io9.

“Even though his radio transmission gets cut off there, I’m not trying to say that Pellaeon would be dead,” Filoni said. “I don’t think that’s it for him. I would like to see other stories with the guy.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/that-fan-favorite-eu-character-name-dropped-on-star-war-1823592926

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah thats what I was talking about just forgot to link the interview.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant wait for the actually these fascists are cool imperial remnant

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

site posted:

cant wait for the actually these fascists are cool imperial remnant

To be fair lots of the Imperial officers served in the republic as well and did not really do anything diffrent. Most just saw it as a name change.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair lots of the Imperial officers served in the republic as well and did not really do anything diffrent. Most just saw it as a name change.

Still (to me) the biggest missed opportunity in filling-in-the-timeline : showing the Republic turning into the Empire.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One thing that struck me as interesting is how Sheev decided to appear to Ezra when he wanted him to open the temple gateway.

It made me wonder if he appears that way to Thrawn too.

Or if Sheev manipulates his appearance for different effects to different people when he communicates over the holonet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
still not sure why palpy wouldve thought that hologram change gambit would work considering it was like last week that he tried to kill ezra in the gateway

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well thematically it was cool because it let Ian McDiarmid talk in his kindly senator voice again for effect rather than his UNLIMITED POWA Papa Palpatine voice.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

One thing that struck me as interesting is how Sheev decided to appear to Ezra when he wanted him to open the temple gateway.

It made me wonder if he appears that way to Thrawn too.

Or if Sheev manipulates his appearance for different effects to different people when he communicates over the holonet.

Thrawn sees him in person so I'd imagine no, he doesn't.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

drunkill posted:

They said the ships in orbit just disappeared. So I presume there are 10 or so ISDs and a few support ships all together in the unknown regions. A tidy little fleet (without many supplies) to form some sort of order out there.

so basically (Deep Space Nine Spoilers season 6)the imperial blockade is the Dominion Fleet and the space whales are the Prophets?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Thrawn sees him in person so I'd imagine no, he doesn't.

Ya, that makes sense. In hindsight that was kind of a dumb thing for me to wonder about. For some reason I didn't imagine Thrawn ever meeting Palps in person. Like he would be too busy always quelling uprisings in the Outer Rim Territories to return to Coruscant or whatever.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, that makes sense. In hindsight that was kind of a dumb thing for me to wonder about. For some reason I didn't imagine Thrawn ever meeting Palps in person. Like he would be too busy always quelling uprisings in the Outer Rim Territories to return to Coruscant or whatever.

In the novel, they interact in person quite frequently.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

site posted:

still not sure why palpy wouldve thought that hologram change gambit would work considering it was like last week that he tried to kill ezra in the gateway

Maybe Ezra didn't know he was the Emperor when he encountered him in the gateway. Information doesn't travel well in the Star Wars universe, people as a whole may have never seen a picture of the Emperor in either guise, and it's almost certainly not common knowledge that he's Force-adept.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Doesn't Palpatine look "normal" in that holovid from Empire Day?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Il Federale posted:

Doesn't Palpatine look "normal" in that holovid from Empire Day?

Yep!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The gently caress? He was known to be scarred by the Jedi in his speech he gave when he took the throne of emperor, why would he try to look less fugly after he made a big deal out of that?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

MrJacobs posted:

The gently caress? He was known to be scarred by the Jedi in his speech he gave when he took the throne of emperor, why would he try to look less fugly after he made a big deal out of that?

Bacta is a hell of a drug, I guess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Also, didn’t Ezra hear his voice taking to...Malcolm McDowell’s character, knowing he was the Emperor? Probably would have recognized the voice in that in between spaces place.

I guess it doesn’t matter. Sheev showed up as nice old man Sheev because he was trying to throw Ezra off and lure him into a false sense of security. The logic of what Ezra knew isn’t really all that important.

I really don’t get that Empire Day video, though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I forgot to mention that the trivia gallery where I found the image states it as a file photo (from "when he was young and handsome") reused for propaganda purposes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not like Ezra was fooled, guys. He said "I know what you are".

Palpatine's disguise was pure vanity and psychological manipulation.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I forgot to mention that the trivia gallery where I found the image states it as a file photo (from "when he was young and handsome") reused for propaganda purposes.

Did he have the red royal guards before he became emperor?

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did he have the red royal guards before he became emperor?

Yeah, they show up in AOTC.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They were Senatorial Guards, but basically the same (except in blue).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Colonial Air Force posted:

They were Senatorial Guards, but basically the same (except in blue).

He had the red guards at Ahsoka's trial, when he was still Supreme Chancellor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I loved all the Imperial foreshadowing in Ahsoka's Trial

They have such a striking aesthetic as well

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm doing it

I'm watching Clone Wars in chronological order

the movie is... rough

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, finally realized they'd released the last few episodes and caught up. It was an... interesting experience. Some good, some bad, and a new series exploring the Unknown Regions with aforementioned characters certainly would be intriguing.

NowonSA posted:

In the original books he was very much about finding sources of power and using them in unconventional ways, which does tie in to the brilliant tactician aspect of his character. On the force side of things, he's willing to team up with an unstable dark-side aligned clone of a jedi master because he was a useful tool, and he kept himself safe through things like the special force-immunity bubble creatures he'd found, and promising him he'd kidnap Leia's kids or Luke for him.

He seemed more all-in on the Empire's ideals in his first book appearances, so I can't remember any particular times where he worked with "good guys." The closest to that might have been him trying to work with smuggling groups for both supplies and information, and not just trying to wipe them out which sounds like more of the standard imperial position.

It's also worth noting that so much was still not explored in Star Wars since the Thrawn Trilogy was the first proper Star Wars books, so even terms like "Sith" weren't around, the clone wars were nebulous and not defined, etc., you had the original trilogy and maybe a few comics to tie in to, compared to the massive web of Legends content that ended up produced and an increasing amount of content across multiple media since the Disney acquisition.

One interesting thing from the Zahn books that I don't see mentioned much is that he floated the theory (with no proof, since the people making the theories were just some guys who were at Endor) that Palpatine used the force to influence and control his space forces, similar to the battle meditation idea of The Old Republic. Someone points out that even after the Death Star was blown up at Endor they should have been able to win the battle, but everyone in charge suddenly panicked and ran away, essentially. I'd enjoy more cases of people wondering if the Force was responsible for something or if it's just how things turned out, rather than the direct throughline we typically see of a Jedi or Sith waving their hands and making something for sure happen. Palpatine seemed like just the right guy to float that theory at too, and I like the possibility that he's helping micromanage a massive space battle on top of sitting on his throne talking to Luke.

I mean, in a universe with people who can directly cloud, manipulate and even fully control the minds of others, there's not much paranoia about people's motivations and such.

This is all mostly beside the point though, this was a fine finale and I'm glad that we're definitely going to see Ezra and Thrawn's stories continue in some fashion down the line. I'll dare to dream that we get a series focused in Chiss space and seeing them deal with the wild threats in the unknown regions, guest starring people like Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka as our window into that society. I'd love to see their reactions to a group with similar beliefs to Thrawn and with big similarities to the Empire, but ultimately being essentially neutral aligned with some negative aspects but plenty of positives as well, and little or none of the outright villainy that the Empire practiced.

From what I recall, book Thrawn overall came across as, as you said, believing in the Empire's ideals, and was looking for a united galaxy in anticipation of an oncoming threat out of the Unknown Regions. He basically viewed the (either) Republic as way too weak and divided to stand up to it and a more solid government was needed (and given the giant mess various authors made of the New Republic's politics, and what happened during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, he was basically right). Whether you want to view this as just an excuse for him to be power-hungry, or more just cold-hearted pragmatism, is somewhat up for debate since the facets we saw before his death could probably be interpreted either way.

Zahn actually played with this in the, far later in the timeline, Hand of Thrawn duology. Wherein Luke and Mara stumble across an entire small area of space settled by the Imperial forces he went out into the Unknown Regions with, along with allies gathered since, and are basically just sitting there preparing for that threat. They've got the same sort of autocratic government as the former Empire, but a lot of the excesses of that entity under Sheev (discrimination against aliens/women for example) seem to be missing. This finally comes to a head when they stumble across a cloning tank of Thrawn, and really have to stop and wonder if now, 10 years later, he might choose to work with the New Republic since the Imperial Remnant is far more fragmented and irrelevant than it was just a few years after Endor.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

It’s honestly my least favorite thing about the character. Feels too much like “sure he’s a fascist, but he’s noble!”

Nodosaur posted:

I'm doing it

I'm watching Clone Wars in chronological order

the movie is... rough
Agreed. Stick with it!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've seen the whole show but haven't watched a lot of this since 2008.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

NTRabbit posted:

He had the red guards at Ahsoka's trial, when he was still Supreme Chancellor.

When Yoda went into to confront Palp in ROTS, and clowned a pair of guards in Palp's office, weren't they in the red at that point?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheCenturion posted:

When Yoda went into to confront Palp in ROTS, and clowned a pair of guards in Palp's office, weren't they in the red at that point?

Am I imagining things, or didn't the Senate Guards get replaced with the Imperial Guards because one of the Senate Guards caught on to Palpatine and tried to kill him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheCenturion posted:

Yep, they look pretty much exactly the same as they do in ROTJ.

I liked how Rex, Wolf and Gregors weapons shot blue bolts rather than the green or red ones we see in the Imperial Era.

• Locked thread