Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

How do you use Twitter for work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Mihai Zetta posted:

I'd be wary about the P2P sites for audiobook gigs since clients who look for talent there tend to underbid like hell. Racking up commercial credits or animation work there is one thing, but for audiobooks and E-learning, consult the GVAA rate guide and audition on ACX or with personal connections as they're way too much work to waste your time dealing with the risk of a lowballed job.

Twitter and general networking tend to be fairly effective for me, and oftentimes other talent/directors keep a pool of talent who they trust and send out auditions to. Out of curiosity, SwitchbladeKult, what market are you in?

Sorry for the confusion. When I said "book work" I meant "find work". I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of recording and editing audio books right now. From what I've been told with audio books it is very easy to over commit to a project beyond your scope. I'd like to do commercials, character work, animations, and video games.

I live in Jacksonville Florida.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

BananaNutkins posted:

I've just started recording and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm using a Scarlett 2i2, Audacity, and my mic is a Rode NT1-A.

I'm releasing a collection of SF&F horror short stories, and I'd like to get good enough to release my own audiobook for it. This is my first practice run at recording a poem called "Plague Rooster."

Any advice as to what I should be doing in Audacity? I'm not using any features other than the big red record button...
Heads up that I don't think this uploaded correctly.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Sorry for the confusion. When I said "book work" I meant "find work". I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of recording and editing audio books right now. From what I've been told with audio books it is very easy to over commit to a project beyond your scope. I'd like to do commercials, character work, animations, and video games.

I live in Jacksonville Florida.
Audiobooks can be torturously boring but they CAN pay decently if you score a private publisher. For an example, here's one that I did: https://livebook.manning.com/#!/book/practical-data-science-with-r/chapter-8/89

Now imagine reading 11 chapters of that. If you can't, I'd highly recommend taking audiobook gigs off your radar.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is anyone here from the Bay Area? Got recommendations for producing a demo here?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Did another short project for a previous client (Lords Of Xulima devs) and voiced the Sniper unit and some announcer-style clips for their new game which is releasing tomorrow:

They Are Billions
http://store.steampowered.com/app/644930

Haven't played it yet but it looks nuts.

Smack dab in the middle of another large project but eh I'll announce when I'm done with it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I still need to clock LoX, come to think of it.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I was in the Alexander Payne movie (Downsizing with Matt Damon) that comes out tomorrow but my scene was cut so now I have to keep telling everyone I've ever known who's contacting me and telling me they're going to see it over the holidays, asking when I appear, etc. so please distract me from the constant reminder of my womp womp almost-successes with tales of your own VO experiences from the past year.

Let's try this:
  1. What was great about this year for you?
  2. Less than great?
  3. What would you like to change/accomplish next year? (Keep it realistic so as to not put unnecessary pressure on yourself.)
Find something to say about all three, no matter how seemingly minute, even if it was "I auditioned for two things this year after not doing anything for the longest time"; progress is COMPLETELY relative to your own personal experience and little steps are what form the foundation for long-term success. (This isn't lip-service, this is reflection based on experience.) If you haven't yet, take out your phone and record yourself reading a few sentences from a random Wikipedia page. There, you have practiced. Literally just that is a step in the right direction if all you've done previously is "nothing" and you want to change that (and reading out loud/listening back to yourself really is great practice).
  1. For me, this was my first year in LA and I'm definitely satisfied with certain achievements--working with my first VO agent out here, even if only freelancing, happily booking a gig with said agent, and booking a few really cool video games and an animated short. I also taught my first weekly class out here and nearly half my students had offers/booked VO work before it even ended.
  2. That said, I'm not pleased with myself for not really making much progress on desperately-needed new demos, or following up on myriad leads that probably would've taken me further/gotten me more steady work than I'd had.
  3. For next year, I'd like to be more open to accepting help than I have been in the past; I've been reminded the hard way that it's impossible to succeed by yourself/in a vacuum. I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by amazing people doing what I'm doing and succeeding in ways I'd like to emulate and I'd like to be better about reaching out to people for help going forward. Also, not being quite as perfectionistic, and getting more comfortable with *doing* things instead of waiting to be able to do them perfectly and never doing them. :banjo:
OH RIGHT speaking of which!! I keep forgetting to post about this buuuuut I play a few characters in the game Battle Chef Brigade, published by Adult Swim Games and now out on Steam. The folks behind the game did little featurettes on each of the voice actors in the game, including one on me :3: BCB's being received very well and this was my first SAG-AFTRA game as well, which was a milestone for me so I'm pleased as punch about this. <3

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

1) I did more "me" projects in 2017. Including my Alternate Side Talking Series where I sometimes got people to sit in my car with me during Alternate Side Parking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGrJZtrVHp8
2) I recorded less podcasts & general VO than I wanted.
3) I would like to actually audition more in 2018.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Not sure how many of you are in the NYC metro area these days, but I'll be back for a hot second next week to sing at Carnegie Hall (nbd) and I'll be running an event while I'm there that's so cool, I'm still a little surprised I was able to pull it off: http://www.ltmvoiceoverclasses.com/classes/vgintensive

It's a video game VO intensive with me and the senior sound designer and the dialogue supervisor from Avalanche Studios (Just Cause, Mad Max, etc). In addition to the intensive class itself, I'm co-hosting a mixer afterwards with IGDA NYC for game developers and game audio folks (all registered attendees will be emailed a resource list that includes the info for everyone in that night's class) and including free mini private sessions to answer questions/give quick prep/pep talks/etc. in "office hours" beforehand. I will be exhausted (ask me about my flight that arrives at 5:40AM that day) but excited. Be sure to indicate your SA username on your application, if you do end up registering.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Let's try this:
  1. What was great about this year for you?
  2. Less than great?
  3. What would you like to change/accomplish next year? (Keep it realistic so as to not put unnecessary pressure on yourself.)

I'll play!

1. I made an animated short for loopdeloop.org so I could be the voice actor in it :D
2. My girlfriend and I spent a long time on a personal project that ate up too much of our time.
3. We would like start focusing more on writing, animating, voice acting (and also produce new demos and animated shorts... maybe another pitch to Frederator Studios Go Program). We wrote down a road map for the year. The goal is to stay somewhat near the road. :D

Also, we watched the zombie short and liked the voice work :) As mostly a lurker, my girlfriend and I look forward to see what the new year brings everyone.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 5, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

1. I did the phone network messages for a lot of clients and had my ego stroked on discord for wandering into a voicechat and stopping all the conversation.
2. I was also occupied with my actual job at the time, so I forgot to charge them for it.
3. I'd like to get involved with a project.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'll play!

1. I made an animated short for loopdeloop.org so I could be the voice actor in it :D
2. My girlfriend and I spent a long time on a personal project that ate up too much of our time.
3. We would like start focusing more on writing, animating, voice acting (and also produce new demos and animated shorts... maybe another pitch to Frederator Studios Go Program). We wrote down a road map for the year. The goal is to stay somewhat near the road. :D

Also, we watched the zombie short and liked the voice work :) As mostly a lurker, my girlfriend and I look forward to see what the new year brings everyone.

Thanks dude! I didn't even realize until you mentioned it that Zombie Christmas was back online (I think it was taken down for a while due to festival submissions and the like) so thanks for the heads up! Glad you enjoyed it :3: And the creating-a-project-so-you-can-voice-it idea is one I always strongly advocate--no better way to start than by creating your own opportunities! Good luck on your goals this year!!

Speaking of festivals...not voice acting-specific but hopefully I'm forgiven for such grievances by this point :xd:: I got to walk babby's first red carpet at the world premiere of a film I'm in at the Sundance Film Festival (also my first Sundance!) on Monday...and we won the US Dramatic Grand Jury Award last night. Top prize at the whole drat festival! I'm still a little in shock...there were a lot of great films that were getting plenty of "buzz" this year. Then again, our film was referred to as "Mike Pence's worst nightmare" in my favorite review of it so far, so I guess people saw in it what we did...

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Just sent this out to my email list, get on it goons:

"Wadjet Eye Games is currently holding auditions for their next game, Unavowed. Full audition details are here on the Wadjet Eye Games website. The deadline is 10AM EST on Thursday, February 8th, so get moving!

Dave (head of Wadjet Eye Games) was a frequent guest in my VO classes back in NYC, and has cast a number of my students in his previous games (check out Technobabylon and Shardlight to hear some LTM voices!) but this is the first time he has opened his auditions up to non-local talent to record remotely! Good luck!!"

Also doing another free Getting Started In VO class Monday, February 12th in LA. It's almost full but there are still a few seats: Register here

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Dang. I'm sorry I missed you class here in NYC. Thanks for sharing the open call link.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

audition page posted:

So hello! You are reading this page because either you want to audition for Unavowed, or you spend wayyyy too much time on the Internet.

guilty as charged

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Just sent this out to my email list, get on it goons:

"Wadjet Eye Games is currently holding auditions for their next game, Unavowed. Full audition details are here on the Wadjet Eye Games website. The deadline is 10AM EST on Thursday, February 8th, so get moving!

Dave (head of Wadjet Eye Games) was a frequent guest in my VO classes back in NYC, and has cast a number of my students in his previous games (check out Technobabylon and Shardlight to hear some LTM voices!) but this is the first time he has opened his auditions up to non-local talent to record remotely! Good luck!!"
Thanks for posting! Got the heads up from your email list but had a chance to send him a couple auditions just now. Told him you referred me so maybe he'll shoot you a kickback ;)

Glad I had time to do it since I just finished another big project:

Age Of Fear 3
http://store.steampowered.com/app/431700/Age_of_Fear_3_The_Legend/

As with AoF1, voiced both full campaign narrations. This time, one as a cantankerous dwarf and the other as a merchant/warlock. Both narrations will be added to the game in about a week for the Steam sale.

And with that I think my plate's clear again. Going to try and get a previous developer back onboard and shoot over some extra samples but otherwise, time to hustle and find some new work (hopefully Wadjet). Good luck to any & all goons who applied and thanks again to Melanie!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I saw the post and I was interested in sending in an audition, but now I'm coughing uncontrollably and I've been too busy before now to sit down and record. So I'll miss the deadline.

Good timing, overall! There's always next time.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I should subscribe to this thread. It seems like I'm always showing up the day after to check!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

3. We would like start focusing more on writing, animating, voice acting (and also produce new demos and animated shorts...

Hey Cool Kids Club, I have a character demo finished! I'm trying to stay on target for the year.

Smack your ears on this: https://soundcloud.com/aaron-schubert-363892357/character-demo-2018

Feel free to go easy on me :D

E: Also, just to share that I'm staying on track and encourage everyone else to do the same, I finally worked on a website for our cartoons. I know this is the VA thread, but I'll be building my About Me page for acting there soon (like today or tomorrow). If anyone's curious: zooferentertainment.com

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 8, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Can anyone recommend any voice coaches that work remote? I would prefer to work with someone in person but it seems there is no one in my local area, at least not that I've been able to find.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Can anyone recommend any voice coaches that work remote? I would prefer to work with someone in person but it seems there is no one in my local area, at least not that I've been able to find.

Hi hello I do this

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Would somebody be kind enough to give my most recent audition a listen?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LErEY5NtkeSFhncTNHUUlUYjg/view?usp=drivesdk

I've been putting myself out there on casting call club for a while, and I'm getting likes but I haven't had any callbacks yet. I'm not using a brand-name mic and I've never had the most sensitive hearing, so should I invest in some better equipment, or do I need to work on my skills first?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

In the middle of a large project but not sure I'll need to cast any further yet. Will update if any auditions are available. In the meantime, have some surprisingly decent practice scripts:

Automotive: https://www.voices.com/blog/sample-script-automotive/

Travel: https://www.voices.com/blog/sample-scripts-travel-commercial/

Real Estate: https://www.voices.com/blog/real-estate-sample-scripts/

Event: https://www.voices.com/blog/events-and-special-occasion-commercial-sample-scripts/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Even though I'm not a native English speaker, I'd like to practice more with VO. I have a pretty low voice which always striked a good number of people with them right away saying I should be on the radio or something.

Welp, my experience is basically voice acting a commanding officer in a Doom mod as you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uz3uc1pCO4&hd=1&t=8s

Opinions? Obviously I got a lot to learn but I look forward in keeping track with this thread.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eeeh. It sounds more scripted than an actual conversation - Which is rather a limiter when you're acting out a conversation. Then again, the shrooms and surfboarding is fairly camp, so I don't think it'll break that too much. Get some more practice in and you'll be fine - when I was learning English, I went over the lines in the Blackadder and Red Dwarf series to figure out the highs and lows of emphasis, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2v_lpwjKUw&t=69s

If you're going for dramatic, on the other hand, the Darkest Dungeon Narrator is definitely a good example of correct trill and flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiqCYrNmwkM

I really wish I'd know they were casting for that one, those lines would be fine as hell to do.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone have any software recommendations for a super simple program to lower/heighten pitch? My ancient 1.5 Audition worked great for it but the new (newish?) one sucks at it (but is excellent at everything else) and it's like the one thing I'm missing. Importing into old Audition doesn't work that well and screws up the audio.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Doesn't audacity have a pitch function?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Animation audition, submission deadline is "ASAP". The sooner the better. Short animated horror film. Include your SA username in your subject line so I know to get to yours even if it's received "late". Feel free to pass this along.

Direct email submission link
Or on Actors Access if you prefer that for whatever reason

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sorry dude, but I can't sound young to save my life.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I’m helping cast something on a suuuuper short deadline. I’m looking for someone who can voice stop-motion animated versions of a few Black/African-American WWE wrestlers (to be cast ethnically appropriately). This is non-union and paid and records local in LA. If you ARE or KNOW someone who fits this, please have them email me ASAP (ltmcasting at gmail) with a demo/VO samples. If they’re newer/inexperienced and don’t have anything yet have them send me a QUICK mp3 starting with a slate of their name in their natural voice and then a 1-2 sentence impression of their 2-3 favorite wrestlers. This all needs to happen by EOD so again...quick. Thank youuuu

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm Nick. I'm a long time forum member.

I recently decided to get into voice acting as a new hobby. I saw a fan video that I liked doing casting calls and thought I'd give it a go on their next round of recruiting.

I'm very new to acting, but I am interested in getting better. I played Puck and Mac Beth in High School, but that was long ago and my performances were terrible. I always wanted to be in entertainment. It's why I design games and work on short stories. I like entertaining people.

I picked up a microphone off Amazon:

I don't know too much about audio editing. What I have found out is that, if you record dead air for a little while, you can set that white noise for noise removal and remove it from all your recordings. Which is nice and makes the recording really clean. But that you should make sure not to accidentally run it twice on a recording or it ruins the whole thing.

I have watched a beginner's video on voice acting and went out to a few sites to find auditions. I am not looking for money. This is just a hobby and I'm not good enough to ask for cash nor do I really want to. I've applied to a video game fandub so far. I am trying to grow my skill set and I think taking a wide range of roles should help.

I've been watching some videos on acting and doing a lot of practice. I've been trying to recite some of my favorite lines from movies and tv, but not just impersonating them (I suck at impersonating) but taking my own spin on things. I've also been looking over even closed auditions and using their lines as a basis for practice. I haven't been practicing too long at all, though. I also don't know if I'm doing it right (I mostly just say the same line like 1000x times in a variety of different ways as I play with context).

I'm also curious if anyone has any advice on how to stop the mic from picking up my breathing.

And also any general advice.

I do have some recordings on file, but they're pretty drat bad.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Turn down the gain on the mic, and try not to breathe into it.

What is the fan video you’re hoping to get into, covok?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: JOB OFFERS :frogsiren:

I have 2 1 0 male parts I need filled. My voice is too deep for either of them. Professional adventure game, will be released on Steam sometime this year. Parts are as follows (spoilers blacked out):

PART 1

Audition Lines
*in reference to not liking fish* "Then what the heck are you here for dude? Hahahah! But yeah, I ain’t crazy about’em either, but hey... | When in Fishmuth… You know, we splashin’ out into like a debauchery sort of deal while we’re here, and THEN! | We’re totally changin’ our lives around!"

"Makes you think, y’know? Sometimes I just sit ‘n wonder… | What gives us the right to kill and eat other beings, just ‘cause they ain’t human, y’know? | Cause they can’t reason like we do? So what? | Doesn’t take reasoning to know you don’t feel like being gutted and eaten, ‘namsayin?"

"Enjoy the festival, broseph! | And don’t indulge too much, y’hear? Heheheh!"

PART 2

Audition Lines
*excited* "Why, sure y'can, outtatowner! Dr.Fisher™'s muh faaayvrite soda! | This gon' go down real' good once I'm done with muh sambwich. | Much appreciated, outta towner. C'nsider I owes ya one."

"Well I dunno how ye made it IN, but the sooner yer non-local hide is outta here, the better! | Us Fishm'th folk don't like outta-towners, nosiree! |"

"Us'd tah watch them shows a lot as a kid... Always got tah me, how dem critters was meetin' their end. | Ah mean, a lion's gotta eat, but us hewm'ns? Man, we can do better than that! | Made me a choice back then…"

Can send your auditions files directly to me at jgaudio@live.com. Please include your forum name & real name within, along with obvious information as to which part you're auditioning for (or both). Deadline is ASAP, will make a decision shortly after the 31st and I'll need the full audio file finished & sent over no more than a week afterwards once selected. Pay is $60 each (both parts are short). Bonus pay on top is likely but not guaranteed. Same deal with a Steam key (haven't asked for an actor batch yet but I doubt they'd object to it). You'll also obviously be credited by name within the game credits/wherever else.

Thanks all!

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:
PART 1 HAS BEEN FILLED. I STILL NEED AN ACTOR FOR PART 2

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:
PART 2 HAS BEEN FILLED. CASTING COMPLETE.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 3, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wendell posted:

Turn down the gain on the mic, and try not to breathe into it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I worked with Joe on this project and he's really great to work with. You reading this should definitely audition!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Gonna record an audition for that ASAP.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

YOU'RE TOO SLOW

(Jokes, I'm not betting money on my auds)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

NOTE: If auditioning, just keep in mind that these are effectively cartoon characters and the voices should be memorable/unique. No harm in anyone sending retake auditions if you're unsatisfied with your first attempt.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Just sent in my auditions. Thanks! And thank you blinkeve1826 for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: PART 1 HAS BEEN FILLED, DO NOT WASTE TIME ON IT :frogsiren:

I still need an actor for PART 2