Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/BulletClubItal/status/972069342304235520

that was scary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah. That was a boring and somehow completely unnecessarily dangerous match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Juice's long boys are pastel cybergoth as gently caress, and while that Tokyo Pimps was really not great I actually really liked that match.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I Before E posted:

Juice's long boys are pastel cybergoth as gently caress, and while that Tokyo Pimps was really not great I actually really liked that match.

I hated it and super disagree with your HM nod but to each their own, I guess.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

STOP BUMPING RIGHT ON YOUR loving HEADS

cams
Mar 28, 2003

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ishiirana

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/972077821400158209

for real what in the gently caress

i did not react well to that

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Oh gently caress right off Large Mike :mad:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trying to look closer at the gif and it looks like Ishii might've landed more on his shoulder. Maybe he didn't murder his head after all... hopefully.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Jesus I had to run out and missed that match but that gif is loving terrifying.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Ishii seems all right. Definitely thought he was going to take it all this year. Oh well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Both of the NJC matches were a bit heavy on finisher spamming for my liking but the miniature hoss off aspect of Ishii/Elgin was fun.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I would not be sad if Ishii bitched to front office about that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’ve been super busy for most of February and didn’t get to see anything. Heck, I haven’t even seen the 46th anniversary show, I’m not going to try and do catchup of the whole shows, but what individual matches are worth seeing?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm a very new pro wrestling fan (golden lovers bandwagon), and have been working through some of the recommended matches from the past couple years. I watched the Okada v Tiger Mask W match, and I was surprised how blatant the English commentators were about it being Ibushi.

Like, "wow it's like these guys have seen eachother before!!" and then immediately they start talking about Okada v Ibushi's 2014 heavyweight v jr heavyweight match (which was also a fun watch).

Was it an open secret when the match happened?

I'm enjoying my new life as a pro wrestling fan, and this thread has helped a lot with sifting through what matches to watch 👍👍👍 so very very much thank you for that. 🤼

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm a very new pro wrestling fan (golden lovers bandwagon), and have been working through some of the recommended matches from the past couple years. I watched the Okada v Tiger Mask W match, and I was surprised how blatant the English commentators were about it being Ibushi.

Like, "wow it's like these guys have seen eachother before!!" and then immediately they start talking about Okada v Ibushi's 2014 heavyweight v jr heavyweight match (which was also a fun watch).

I'm enjoying my new life as a pro wrestling fan, and this thread has helped a lot with sifting through what matches to watch 👍👍👍 so very very much thank you for that. 🤼

Yeah, everyone knew Tiger Mask W was Ibushi, and it wasn't like he wrestled much differently in the mask anyway, he still did the Last Ride/Golden Star powerbomb, the Phoenix Splash and the triangle moonsault.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/tanahashi1_100/status/972127297892306946

Apparently after you gently caress up Tana's knee, he achieves his next form

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Duh, look at that hair, of course he's a Saiyan. Beating them nearly to death just makes them more powerful.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah everyone knew tiger mask was ibushi by the time of the anniversary show, they'd figured it out from his body right when he had the first match

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gnossiennes posted:

People will argue this back and forth, but try the japanese commentary. Nogami and Milano(+the other ppl that drop in) losing their poo poo at great parts in the match more than makes up for not understanding a single word they're saying.

I really hated Kelly and Co spoiling W's identity because, traditionally, you don't know who Tiger Mask is until he reveals himself*. Maybe they thought it was ok because it for the anime promotion(worth watching, btw) or whatever. To me it ruins the whole point if you know who's under the mask. The japanese commentary was coy about it but never directly said "that's Kota Ibushi!"

*if you're in the mood for a deep dive into japanese wrestling go back and watch the match(AJPW May 14th, 1990) where Misawa revealed himself to be Tiger Mask II. The building went BESERK.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

cams posted:

kenny omega has also been making appearances at CEO for years. other tournaments too, but CEO already has a whole wrestling thing going on, so it makes sense. florida is not doable for me, but i think it is pretty cool that njpw's third event in the us is teaming up with a fighting game tournament.

the fgc llves wrestling https://youtu.be/G2hsewxQdFA

And vice versa. Some friends of mine ran a UK streetfighter event in the same hotel where a bunch of WWE westlers were staying over on a tour, and New Day all came over and got on commentary and played games, was gutted I missed it!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

The Cameo posted:

Stop skipping leg day, Tana! :mad:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

*if you're in the mood for a deep dive into japanese wrestling go back and watch the match(AJPW May 14th, 1990) where Misawa revealed himself to be Tiger Mask II. The building went BESERK.

On Youtube, so should be okay to post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hrU9VOX8eg&t=757s

At around 12:30.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Elgin beating Ishii is the most baffling thing. I thought it was pretty clear from the brackets that Ishii was headed to the finals but instead we got Elgin busting it the super death finisher in the first round because he's a strong wrestleman?

Also, Yujiro hitting multiple finishers in the center of the ring only for Juice to kick out was a hilarious way to demonstrate just how weak Yujiro is outside of multimans.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving hell what is wrong with these people :stare:

I enjoyed both singles matches quite a lot and I'm shocked Elgin went through.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I loved Elgin for the longest time. It's still a little hard for me to dislike him because I think he's good. He's a good agile big man. I went to a Glory Pro Show recently and it was odd to hear the mixed views on Elgin.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I loved Elgin for the longest time. It's still a little hard for me to dislike him because I think he's good. He's a good agile big man. I went to a Glory Pro Show recently and it was odd to hear the mixed views on Elgin.
this is very much where i am at. the personal stuff is real gross and he a garbage man

but he wrestles real good. shocked both that he won and that he did not kill ishii.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

think it was pretty obvious that elgin was winning since they just re-signed him for two years. that's a long time, they're probably gonna elevate him again

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its gonna be real weird when Elgin takes the NJ Cup and then the US tour falters.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

yeah same, loving love big thick dudes who can hit hard or work a million miles an hour or do flips or maybe all three

But I prefer it when they aren’t garbage humans irl

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe Elgin is looking to double down in Japan to offset how much harder getting bookings in North America is going to be?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really didn't get the appeal of Elgin even before he was shown to be a garbage human. Yeah, he is an agile big dude but they're not really rare anymore. A lot of people do the agile big dude thing and have more charisma and ring presence then Elgin. What I'm saying is that NJPW needs to be booking Keith Lee and Jeff Cobb.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow's card

NEW JAPAN CUP
March 10th at 4:00 EST/9:00 GMT
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

Ryusuke Taguchi and Ren Narita vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
Yuji Nagata and Shota Umino vs. Juice Robinson and David Finlay
Michael Elgin and Tomoyuki Oka vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
Togi Makabe and Toa Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (DBS Jr. and Takashi Iizuka)
LIJ (Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Suzuki, ZSJ, and TAKA)
CHAOS(Okada, Goto,Y-H, and Chuckie VS. Kota, Yujiro, Chase, and Tanga Loa)
New Japan Cup Rd 1:Bad Luck Fale vs. Lance Archer
New Japan Cup Rd 1:Hiroshi Tanahahi vs. Taichi

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe Elgin is looking to double down in Japan to offset how much harder getting bookings in North America is going to be?

Probably 100 percent accurate.

Now I gotta change my NJC pick. Damnit!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
main event taichi

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the story of the match was that everybody, okada included, knew tiger mask w was ibushi and that he wanted him to work it seriously not under a stupid gimmick

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gaz-L posted:

He might win the whole thing. Could give Okada a good match at Sakura Genesis while still losing, thereby preserving Tanahashi for Dontaku or Dominion if Naito/Jericho is on and they don't want Kenny challenging yet. Makes a lot of sense even if I'm not that fired up about it. I still think Ibushi needs one of the next three title shots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

He might win the whole thing. Could give Okada a good match at Sakura Genesis while still losing, thereby preserving Tanahashi for Dontaku or Dominion if Naito/Jericho is on and they don't want Kenny challenging yet. Makes a lot of sense even if I'm not that fired up about it. I still think Ibushi needs one of the next three title shots.

Ibushi wins the NJC, shot at SakGen, skip Dontaku and Tanahashi at Dominion to protect his record? Or Tanahashi at Dontaku and then Okada drops at Dominion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Come on Fale and Archer, surprise me!