Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dexo posted:

Ah yes because there were so many Shaq or Ewing quality players.

Lmao loving hell. The dumb Wilt Chamberlain argument getting updated, and set to the golden age of centers no less, is something I'd never thought I'd live to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Dreamservant by Stephen King

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rick posted:

Lmao loving hell. The dumb Wilt Chamberlain argument getting updated, and set to the golden age of centers no less, is something I'd never thought I'd live to see.

Huh?

What is the dumb Wilt Chamberlain argument?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Huh?

I assume that he was good because everyone guarding him was a 5'10" car salesman

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh no I reserve that mocking for Bob Cousy highlights.

Im not saying every center was trash, I'm saying Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem etc etc were special talents.

Also I was mostly being flip when I said center. I was mostly talking stylistically of keeping him in the post like bigs tended to operate back then.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Huh?

That most or all of Wilt Chamberlain's records are fundamentally worthless because he just so happened to be one of the biggest athletic freaks of all time playing in an era where the average center was about 6'9" and skinny.

I just find it really hard to give a poo poo about that. Are we supposed to asterisk his 100-point game or something?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aren't a lot of "unicorns" very much patterned off of Hakeem?

I feel like he could adjust to a modern game better than most. He'd only been playing competitive basketball a few years when he was picked, right? And he still surpassed expectations for bigs; now that stretch bigs are common, it's not hard to fathom him being a reasonably good 3 shooter.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

No one remembers Ralph Sampson.

I do. He played in the 86 finals that my dad got me the DVD box set for. :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big boi posted:

The difference for me is that Durant pretends that it was just a culture decision and that he never discussed the possibility of rings with people when choosing GSW. Therefore people just don't understand and are being super unfair to him. It's the most obnoxious position possible -- at least LeBron was open about wanting to win a billion championships.

That and:

-KD joined an already completed team that was perhaps the greatest team ever. He didn't form a new core.
-KD's former team could have been a Warriors rival for years if he'd stayed.
-To me the worst part is to this day KD acts like what he did was the hard path. I HATED LeBron after The Decision (which was dumb of me) but LeBron never insulted my intelligence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aren't a lot of "unicorns" very much patterned off of Hakeem?

I feel like he could adjust to a modern game better than most. He'd only been playing competitive basketball a few years when he was picked, right? And he still surpassed expectations for bigs; now that stretch bigs are common, it's not hard to fathom him being a reasonably good 3 shooter.

Hakeem started at 17 and was drafted after 3 years in college .

Hakeem and Durant are the most famous 6'9" people who are 7" tall as well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Moses Malone taught Hakeem how to play NBA ball in Houston.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

KD just wanted a chance to Tell His Story and Syngergize with like-minded Creatives to generate his own Original Content.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Oh no I reserve that mocking for Bob Cousy highlights.

Those rule, dude barely used his left hand and couldn't look up while he drbbled and racist dudes from Boston still think he was the best ballhandler of all time

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 9, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

MourningView posted:

Those rule, dude barely used his left hand and couldn't look up while he drbbled and racist dudes from Boston still think he was the best ballhamdler of all time
I know it's a typo but I will now exclusively refer to Cousy as a "ballhamdler."

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

MourningView posted:

Those rule, dude barely used his left hand and couldn't look up while he drbbled and racist dudes from Boston still think he was the best ballhamdler of all time

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/simmons_pyramid.html #21 lol. Over nash and kidd

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxoClASgKw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Hakeem started at 17 and was drafted after 3 years in college .

Hakeem and Durant are the most famous 6'9" people who are 7" tall as well

Huh? Hakeem was always listed at 7 feet and was probably actually shorter, that's the opposite of what Durant does. Durant is like KG. He doesn't want to be a center so he's 6'13"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Havlicek at 14 dear god

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Havlicek at 14 dear god

Robinson at 29 is a crime of some sort

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

perfect

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Robinson at 29 is a crime of some sort

Didn't know The Secret

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Havlicek at 14 dear god

Why is this on basketball reference? Lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bill Simmons is a very serious basketball thinker.

He probably is way more knowledge about football at this point because of gambling.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Bill Simmons is a very serious basketball thinker.

He probably is way more knowledge about football at this point because of gambling.

have you heard him talk about football becuase lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Relatively knowledgeable lol.

I don't understand how he has any money. He makes the worst bets on zero knowledge.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My favourite part of reading the Ringer is when you see an article that's some dumb ranking of things based on an arbitrary point system (This is a recurring theme) and you just know Simmons greasy little face was squealing with delight when he saw it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CRISPYBABY posted:

My favourite part of reading the Ringer is when you see an article that's some dumb ranking of things based on an arbitrary point system (This is a recurring theme) and you just know Simmons greasy little face was squealing with delight when he saw it.

I mean to be fair a lot of this is Shea Serrano and he's doing it as a joke

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

IcePhoenix posted:

Another important thing to consider when deciding between Hakeem and Durant is that Hakeem isn't a bitch

Pippen would have slapped Durant across the face, then Rodman would have slapped him across the face, and home to mama he'd have gone the end. What kind of Royce White level dingaling is texting guys on the opposing team with the greatest record of all time when you're in a dogfight series and up 3-1? Specifically Draymond Green got into his soft brain.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Check out my 12000 word column where I determine which actor is a a Low Key Peak Unicorn. Spoiler, it's which ever one reminds me the most of Tom Brady in 2007

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i think andrew wiggins is maybe not very good. at basketball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cart Mountain posted:

i think andrew wiggins is maybe not very good. at basketball.

:hai:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

I mean to be fair a lot of this is Shea Serrano and he's doing it as a joke

Yeah he's legit. It's not like an every day thing, but there are unironic attempts where every now and then a writer will come up with TOP NBA UNICORNS RANKED BY ULTIMATE UNICORN METRIC, or BEST BANK ROBBERY SCENES OBJECTIVELY RANKED and I just feel Simmons over my shoulder doing the Birdman hands

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Pls scout Andrew Wiggins for me. I'm working on a theory that he is actually bad.
He took a lot of long twos and missed them (6-21 FG) and wasn't what I'd call a threat from beyond the arc (1-8 3pt).

Celtics were also clearly not afraid of our defense. As soon as the double-team happened on whomever was cutting to the hoop, pass out to a wide-open shot (which went in all the time).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

He took a lot of long twos and missed them

Wiggins.txt

vvv :suicide: vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2018

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Wiggins.txt

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/971972380804268032

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

-To me the worst part is to this day KD acts like what he did was the hard path. I HATED LeBron after The Decision (which was dumb of me) but LeBron never insulted my intelligence.

He kept trying to bounce back and forth between "hardest path" and "hey I actually used to change teams all the time when I was younger staying around in one spot is actually unusual for me"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For those curious, the two players lower than Wiggins (.506 after last night) are Melo (.504) and Dennis Smith Jr. (.473)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

scuz posted:

He took a lot of long twos and missed them (6-21 FG) and wasn't what I'd call a threat from beyond the arc (1-8 3pt).

Celtics were also clearly not afraid of our defense. As soon as the double-team happened on whomever was cutting to the hoop, pass out to a wide-open shot (which went in all the time).

Hmmm

Thank you for this data. It's being added to the pile.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Ferguson is under NBA concussion protocol as a result of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yeah he's legit. It's not like an every day thing, but there are unironic attempts where every now and then a writer will come up with TOP NBA UNICORNS RANKED BY ULTIMATE UNICORN METRIC, or BEST BANK ROBBERY SCENES OBJECTIVELY RANKED and I just feel Simmons over my shoulder doing the Birdman hands

Since we’re talking about Shea Serrano, I would like to recommend his recent book Basketball and Other Things. I picked it up a few months ago and it’s a very entertaining coffee table type read with great illustrations.

• Locked thread