Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Half the fun of these Automata videos with Yoko Taro is seeing the Emil head become progressively more cracked and chipped, because there's a small part in the back of my head that wonders with every new video "Is that head breaking...

...or hatching?"

I'll bet the last we see of the broken Emil mask is to have it fall off mid-video... and reveal a new replacement Emil mask beneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I did not expect to start crying this morning.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Jesus this LP was a ride. Thanks for the LP Id, you are a blessing to this forum.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

Especially not to a meta twin-stick shooter where you blow up the credits. :unsmith:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

This was the best god-slaying I’ve ever seen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dzhay posted:

A happy ending. Jackass has three more killbots to help her wreck the poo poo of the people responsible for all this.

The sequel to this game should just be Jackass Blows Up The World

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

To be fair, neither did I actually.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, uh. Anyone else see those doves and think about the Intoners' disciples?

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

GunnerJ posted:

So, uh. Anyone else see those doves and think about the Intoners' disciples?
Well, I know at least ONE person did...

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
the last few years have been pretty great for gaming, lots of titles that reach in and make you cry, not because of how sad and painful things are, but because there is HOPE

Thanks TDI, it's been a pleasure to be with you on this wild ride, and I hope you and your family are all doing well.
This...can continue.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Sessile posted:

The fusion, Seny, shows up later if you don't pick her up there.

Yes, but it's the exact same spot, and you do the exact same thing to get the room to show up.

Ukokira
Apr 29, 2017
Fun fact time: The bullet customization options works with the credits as well, making it possible to have the development team try to kill you with Emil Heads

Another fun fact time: Automata has.... a lot of extra story content that answers a lot of stuff, like what happened after the ending of the game? What all happened before the game (A lot)? etc. in the form of a concert with five stories, two different stage plays, and a whole lot of short stories and novellas.

So be sure to check those out.

Ukokira fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 9, 2018

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
A happy ending was promised and that promise was fulfilled. :unsmith:

Thanks id for another wonderful LP.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Good game, that. Thanks for showing it off.

I've played a lot of games that go for a "fight the credits" thing before but that's the first one that's ever been emotional. Or story relevant to be honest.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Thanks for the LP TDI it was real good throughout

Here's a recently released anniversary video by our favorite director to celeberate this even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldR-uR3UFw

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the LP TDI

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Great LP TDI

That ending was great and really something else too bad I don't think it is possible to have as big a surprise as the reveal for this game

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thanks, Id.

I don't really know what else to say except that Yoko Taro made me cry but like in the good proud way.

:unsmith:

Those crazy android kids are gonna be okay.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I know I'm an idiot, but I guess I don't get it? Everyone is dead, but then Pod somehow lets you blow up the credits and everyone is alive again?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ghostnuke posted:

I know I'm an idiot, but I guess I don't get it? Everyone is dead, but then Pod somehow lets you blow up the credits and everyone is alive again?

No, you got it. Not only are they alive, they keep their data too.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for this LP, Id. What a ride it was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostnuke posted:

Everybody dies and is set to be deleted as per the YorHa project objectives (I kinda like that these pods which were framed as helpers turn out to be the overseers of the entire project. I guess it's kind of the PopoDevola thing from NieR again, but it's still cute), but the pods learned emotions over programming and ask you to help fight back against the deletion routine which takes the form of the credits (might not go chiptune but it's still just the hacking minigame). If you win the data is restored and everyone is repaired.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the next nier game is going to require augmented reality features, and come on a physical CD

just so it can watch you remove the disc and snap it in half

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Thank you very much for LPing this game, Id!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ghostnuke posted:

At the most basic, ending E is the players joining pod 153 in rebellion and punching the game creators in the face until they give us an hopeful ending. Considering how meta this is, in-game explanations of what the gently caress just happened are kinda difficult and would probably rely on a metric ton of assumptions.

But basically, the credit sequence is an hacking sequence; I think it's the pods shaking off the control that android government (the fuckers that set up Project YoRHa) had on the pods, so they could backup and then restore the androids even when they were forbidden to do so because we were in the last stage of Project YoRHa (AKA kill all YoRHa androids phase).
There are more than enough android corpses around that spare parts for repair would not be a problem.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Life is without meaning or purpose. It's embarrassing, painful, and difficult. But you are not alone, and it's worth doing anyway.

Thank you for existing :3:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
20 years ago Yoko Taro beat Super Smash Brothers for the first time and thought "These credits are pretty neat, but what if was crying during them?"

Yes, I know those are Melee's credits, the video synchs better with the song.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think the moment that the Ending E sequence got me when I first played it was the moment all the other player's data join you in fighting the credits and the music swells to include a chorus of people singing along with it.

So many people got deleted on my Ending E sequence because it's hard to play a shoot em up while bawling.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Omobono posted:

But basically, the credit sequence is an hacking sequence; I think it's the pods shaking off the control that android government (the fuckers that set up Project YoRHa) had on the pods, so they could backup and then restore the androids even when they were forbidden to do so because we were in the last stage of Project YoRHa (AKA kill all YoRHa androids phase).
There are more than enough android corpses around that spare parts for repair would not be a problem.

Some supplement or another goes into detail on the events of Ending E without the abstraction of the credits, and it lays out precisely what Pod 042's "suicide attack" entaileda...and this is basically it.

I love the pods so much. :3: Their characterization catches you totally off-guard but could not have been timed better, with the bleakness of route C being so nicely offset with 042's escalating sass and 153's growing concern.

Always appreciate your pod pals.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What does the help from other players represent? Other pods giving the middle finger to the bosses and/or the pod network rebelling en masse?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I remember starting Ending E and yelling, "Holy poo poo, is this the final boss?"

Anyway, Ending E is a great way to deliver on the promise of 2B's intro monologue about killing God. The sad irony throughout the game is that the "Gods worth dying for" (humanity, the aliens, and later for 9S, 2B) are dead and gone. There's no vengeance to get at all, and the fact that all this suffering is persisting in the absence of some cruel deity, as 2B alludes to in the intro, is the ultimate gut punch for someone looking for some hope of rebellion or positive change.
But fighting the developers serves as the next best thing. These are the people who are actually responsible for all the characters' suffering, and you finally get to tell them "no" at the end. Eventually, they even join in with you, as Yoko Taro and other devs add their voice to the chorus. The pods, the player, and other players around the world force them to change the ending.

Good loving game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

20 years ago Yoko Taro beat Super Smash Brothers for the first time and thought "These credits are pretty neat, but what if was crying during them?"

Yes, I know those are Melee's credits, the video synchs better with the song.

I completely missed that the song started in chiptune.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Dark Id posted:

We are perpetually trapped... in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.

Congrats on killing god and making one hell of a LP, TDI. It's been a phenomenal wild ride.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Adding another voice to the chorus of thanks for this behemoth of an LP. I bought an SA account to keep reading your LP of the original Nier, and Drakengard 1 was the first LP that I followed while it was still going on. That almost feels like a different reality now.
I mean, imagine someone had told you during the Drakengard 1 LP that that game would come to be remembered as sort of a cult classic, and its director held as one of the few great geniuses of game design. Particularly, imagine someone had said something like that about the soundtrack.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The LP ending inspired me to go and give up my save data, which I never ended up doing my first playthrough. Thank you for your sacrifices: shocker1, VZ, Visako_Shina, and Mikasa.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Omobono posted:

What does the help from other players represent? Other pods giving the middle finger to the bosses and/or the pod network rebelling en masse?

I think pretty much this. The pods are basically stand ins for you, the players. Ending D -> is essentially you as the player saying "Well the game is done, everyone is dead, the robots weren't really defeated so much as the just hosed off. Time to archive the events into the back of my mind and forge- NO gently caress THAT THIS IS BULLSHIT. gently caress what the creators of this whole thing want, I'm going to fight for a happy ending instead." The pods are rebelling against the machinations of the ones who created Project Yorha just as we as the players are rebelling against the machinations of the people who created the game.

I wonder at what point in the development process did Yoko Taro come up with "Shoot em up sequence vs the credits to get the good ending". It would be interesting if he had that in mind from the start and built the hacking minigame around the mechanics knowing how the game was going to end.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

I think pretty much this. The pods are basically stand ins for you, the players. Ending D -> is essentially you as the player saying "Well the game is done, everyone is dead, the robots weren't really defeated so much as the just hosed off. Time to archive the events into the back of my mind and forge- NO gently caress THAT THIS IS BULLSHIT. gently caress what the creators of this whole thing want, I'm going to fight for a happy ending instead." The pods are rebelling against the machinations of the ones who created Project Yorha just as we as the players are rebelling against the machinations of the people who created the game.

I wonder at what point in the development process did Yoko Taro come up with "Shoot em up sequence vs the credits to get the good ending". It would be interesting if he had that in mind from the start and built the hacking minigame around the mechanics knowing how the game was going to end.

From one of his interviews he said he had no idea how he was going to do a good ending he promised so he probably just thought of it near the end.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Iretep posted:

From one of his interviews he said he had no idea how he was going to do a good ending he promised so he probably just thought of it near the end.

In one of the interviews I read, which I unfortunately cannot produce at the moment, he basically said that Ending D was the one he had in mind when writing the game, but Ending E was a "natural ending" that the "characters wrote", independently of him.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks TDI for this wonderful game. There was a lot of personal tragedy in my life during 2017 and your updates helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Joining the choir for those who teared up during the ending credits. I get SUCH a chill, every time I hear that song, expecting the echo to kick in. It's stupid, admittedly, but there's something uplifting about all the comments being along the same lines of 'don't give up, the world is with you' and the like that just makes it that much stronger an 'ending' for me.

It almost ties into DeathSandwich's posts, wherein the collective will of the players who fought to Automata's final ending are saying No More, and making the game itself listen.

• Locked thread