Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A Bug posted:

If you right click while channeling the beam, you do a blast where the beam is targeted. It generates a fair bit of heat but functions as a nice sniper weapon in addition to the beam/shotgun options.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Willie Tomg posted:

yeah, things are a little fiesty and its bizarre to see in a game i really got attached to for its chill and welcoming community. i give the problem children a week for them to burn out on extrinsic progression and find something else to be mad at.

the really toxic ones have been a very loud but very small minority for me but they tend to stand out in ones memory more than the 5 games that were fun and everyone had a laugh despite wipes and mishaps

I do mostly play with friends during prime time though so maybe I narrowly avoid a lot of idiots that way?

A Bug posted:

If you right click while channeling the beam, you do a blast where the beam is targeted. It generates a fair bit of heat but functions as a nice sniper weapon in addition to the beam/shotgun options.

finally! since I couldn't figure out how to do it in the beta - and no wonder if it wasn't in, I swear I tried every mouse button - I just put beam staff in the same category as conflagration staff, but now with heat sink it'll probably even be good!

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

Played a little of Left for Rats 1, was fun but couldn't get into it with randos. Discord bumping with goons who will forgive a guy who just likes to hit things with a hammer as a dorf?

I'm terrible and I just hit things with a hammer as dwarf and goons haven't yelled at me yet. Good games, too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ruzihm posted:

first game i played at release while waitin for my buddy to come online:

a pubbie threw a grenade at 4 rats I was about to fight

he got swarmed by 2 dozen rats

he blamed me for him wasting his grenade

v:shobon:v

I play with 3 others on our own chat channel and we don't public play. Last night one dropped out and we forgot to set it to private.
So we had a random guy join and during the run he kept randomly saying quotes from The Room but with the game names in a half decent Tommy impression.
'Oh hai Skaven. How is your sex life?' and 'I did not hit her, its bullshit, I did not hit her, I DID NOT!' when he had to be revived.
Made the night for us.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hitting this with a hammer as dorf is one of the best things to do as dorf both mechanically and viscerally so if anyone yells at you for it you should laugh at them

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Willie Tomg posted:

Honestly the minimum 120 threshold is mostly fine. 150 is nice. If you wait until 200 then you're just prolonging the process of being Not Very Good at vermintide. The gear power rewards don't go higher than 200 on Vet, so....

Yeah but when you're at 200, about half of that is probably your level, so 200 max power items are still going to be an upgrade for a long while.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I play with 3 others on our own chat channel and we don't public play. Last night one dropped out and we forgot to set it to private.
So we had a random guy join and during the run he kept randomly saying quotes from The Room but with the game names in a half decent Tommy impression.
'Oh hai Skaven. How is your sex life?' and 'I did not hit her, its bullshit, I did not hit her, I DID NOT!' when he had to be revived.
Made the night for us.

how do I get this guy to join my games

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

hitting this with a hammer as dorf is one of the best things to do as dorf both mechanically and viscerally so if anyone yells at you for it you should laugh at them

I had people tell me that hammer+shield on Ironbreaker wasn't great and that pushing rats down wasn't all that useful. :(

I have an axe+shield now so maybe that'll work better.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I do think that if you want to bash things with a hammer, a 2-hander is the way to go. Yeah, even as Ironbreaker. Let your defensive bonuses protect you while you spam heavy swings and knock every enemy down/bash enemies into mush, while still having a good push and blocking ability.

That said, Axe and Shield is a versatile combo that'll let you block and bash rats with the shield all game long, while also giving you an option against heavy enemies with the axe.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Explorer posted:

I had people tell me that hammer+shield on Ironbreaker wasn't great and that pushing rats down wasn't all that useful. :(

I have an axe+shield now so maybe that'll work better.

this was true in the technical betas but two things happened:

1) strong strikes started eating A LOT more stamina to block
2) chaos units, especially the marauders, lost a fair bit of weight

these combine to make shields a lot better! their strong strikes bully people around way better than they used to, and having approximately all the stamina ever is now actually relevant because you can lose an entire shield guarding something from the front, depending on what it is.

axe and shield is still better for slowly hacking your way through a horde and is probably the superior choice if you can one shot a lot of things on that difficulty, but hammer and shield is now no slouch and knocking things on their butts is something you can do at scale!

using the 2h hammer is also a great choice, basically the decision there is to sacrifice a fair bit of stamina/tanking ability for the ability to make heavily armored enemies regret they were ever born.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Twitch Integration works perfectly and makes for wonderful games.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
VT2 is #4 on twitch right now. Almost 60k people watching.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lunethex posted:

Twitch Integration works perfectly and makes for wonderful games.

How does it work exactly? People vote for good things or bad things to happen to you?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

this was true in the technical betas but two things happened:

1) strong strikes started eating A LOT more stamina to block
2) chaos units, especially the marauders, lost a fair bit of weight

these combine to make shields a lot better! their strong strikes bully people around way better than they used to, and having approximately all the stamina ever is now actually relevant because you can lose an entire shield guarding something from the front, depending on what it is.

axe and shield is still better for slowly hacking your way through a horde and is probably the superior choice if you can one shot a lot of things on that difficulty, but hammer and shield is now no slouch and knocking things on their butts is something you can do at scale!

using the 2h hammer is also a great choice, basically the decision there is to sacrifice a fair bit of stamina/tanking ability for the ability to make heavily armored enemies regret they were ever born.

From the couple of games I've played with you and your deeper explanations in these threads, you're a pretty cool guy Coolguye.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ignite Memories posted:

How does it work exactly? People vote for good things or bad things to happen to you?

IIRC One of the things that showed up in the developer stream was making 7 loot rats appear and you had to bash all of them. So not necessarily all bad.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Holy how the gently caress are you supposed to not get instantly deleted fighting Halescourge Whatever on champion?

The other bosses are all mostly fine but that snot wall on a teleporting guy plus the berserker adds makes for a miserable time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How the gently caress do you even reliably avoid the snot wall anyway

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Stanley Pain posted:

which means a lot since there's a couple things that will always be top on twitch unless a games done quick marathon is happening

also on the earlier discussion, people get pissier at vermintide than they do at left 4 dead because there's loot and progression and poo poo technically on the line, even if it ultimately doesn't mean much and the game throws it at you anyways

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 9, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Did they fix heroic intervention yet?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Bug posted:

Glad that this was noted literally anywhere. So the right hand click without the beam is really just a heat generator.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats a good 1 or 2 minute video to show people to get them into this game

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

any video of me since I am a badass

note: don't use the ones where I am doing bad those are mistakes and don't count

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Real talk the reveal trailer worked just fine for 3/4 people I conned into playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovSuioMM2w

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the commonality of getting a heroic deed from a chest and any way to improve the odds?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Hey birthday boy I got some heroic deeds that need doing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eonwe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr-RAVozAM

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

alarumklok posted:

Real talk the reveal trailer worked just fine for 3/4 people I conned into playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovSuioMM2w
The newer gameplay trailer is more polished https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYBSWAOcZs

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's like someone turned on the goddamn Stormvermin spigot today.

Ah well, they're fun to kill.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Madcosby posted:

Whats the commonality of getting a heroic deed from a chest and any way to improve the odds?

Seems like it's host only but kinda common for them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

It's like someone turned on the goddamn Stormvermin spigot today.

Ah well, they're fun to kill.

I noticed there's a lot more idle stormvermin now compared to the Beta.

Someone mentioned in chat last night when you get to the Cataclysm difficulty equivalent, all idle world spawn rats are stormvermin and maulers and you only see clans and slaves in hordes.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The newer gameplay trailer is more polished https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYBSWAOcZs

oh yeah that is better

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
whoa, I just noticed Hunter's Prowl causes Markus not to consume ammo for its duration

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have no idea if the +15% power for -5% attack speed is worth it but goddamnit I'm gonna make Handmaiden work solely because she has the best costume of the elves.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Malkof posted:

Heard some things about the beam staff so I crafted one up and gave it a spin.
First match: man this thing sucks, the beam stagger is nice but the damage is a joke. Oh the alt fire does more damage now that's nice.
Second match: oh poo poo they put beam detonate back in?!?! * Snap headshot every boss/special from across the map*
I won't have the most kills but generally I'll do the most damage on bosses and special kills.

What is beam detonate

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Holy schamoly, what's a Kruber supposed to do against the Act 1 boss? All I could really do was clear trash and hope our bright wizard could burn the fucker down.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Holy schamoly, what's a Kruber supposed to do against the Act 1 boss? All I could really do was clear trash and hope our bright wizard could burn the fucker down.

I didn't really have any problems hitting him as Slayer, but the Jump definitely helped considering how much he teleports around.
That said, clearing trash is a pretty important part of that fight, definitely the toughest Act boss.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

terrorist ambulance posted:

What is beam detonate

While you are beaming someone, click the other mouse button.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do the ranged classes really make a good case for themselves? I'm so skeptical about the concept and haven't really enjoyed ranged Bardin or Kruber.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Cowcaster posted:

gently caress

yeah beam staff is my current favoring. You can line your beam head height on an oncoming hard and just swipe your crosshair side to side. You'll smile and Sienna will triggering one of her great junkie fire voice lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BERGfu posted:

Hey birthday boy I got some heroic deeds that need doing

I'm not going to touch your hero log..

I'll be on later tonight.