Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I bought this game seven years ago when it was still called Starfarer. I'm not even sure I can download it anymore.

That it isn't finished after this long is surprising, but that it's not even on Steam's Early Access at least so I wouldn't have to worry about downloads is just baffling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't it already have that?

Saoshyant posted:

I bought this game seven years ago when it was still called Starfarer. I'm not even sure I can download it anymore.

That it isn't finished after this long is surprising, but that it's not even on Steam's Early Access at least so I wouldn't have to worry about downloads is just baffling.

You should be able to, they're good about support like that. I think the main reason for not putting it on steam is to keep the community smaller until it's more complete, the patch cycle is glacial and if it were released on steam it would get poo poo reviews despite it being a very good game that just takes a long time between updates.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Saoshyant posted:

If you lost your key, send Alex an e-mail and he will sort you out. He's good about supporting that kind of thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I will give that a try, thanks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New blog post:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2018/03/02/zen-and-the-art-of-battlestation-construction/

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The dev's twitter page is full of gems too, like the new and incredibly dangerous-looking Cobra bombers.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/968660771495346176

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anticheese posted:

The dev's twitter page is full of gems too, like the new and incredibly dangerous-looking Cobra bombers.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/968660771495346176
Starsector's come a long way.
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/958842056134348806

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They put so much effort into this.

I wonder if the Citadel/Cathedral bigass circle ship will get converted into an actual mobile station with more of a logistics/mobile supply yard focus?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I still distinctly remember buying both Starfarer and SPAZ's early access things at the same time. And in the time SF/SS has been in development the SPAZ guys not only released a game but also then turned around and developed/released a sequel.

E: Not to say anything bad about SS, just that it's a bit bizarre how the time has gone

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rynoto posted:

I still distinctly remember buying both Starfarer and SPAZ's early access things at the same time. And in the time SF/SS has been in development the SPAZ guys not only released a game but also then turned around and developed/released a sequel.

E: Not to say anything bad about SS, just that it's a bit bizarre how the time has gone

I did the same thing, and yet I would say I've had way more actual fun with Starsector than with SPAZ (which I played for a few hours but ultimately found shallow and repetitive).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rynoto posted:

IIRC at the start there was one thread for both Starfarer and SPAZ, the idea being "here are two kinda similar looking top-down space games."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Does Safety Procedures affect the CR loss from flying through storms? The tooltip is a little unclear here (doesn't really define what "similar terrain" is).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that's a T2 station god knows what a T3 will look like, that's already massive.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah. Conquering Jangala is gonna be a real achievement. :discourse:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also wonder how many tiers there are... surely not based on market size...?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/970381990938718209

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The patch has dropped

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A whole lot of nothin so far.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I dunno if I'd call an Astral battlegroup 'raiders'

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Might be if it's an abstracted player raider group.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Goddamn, the station managed to dunk on an Aurora and a Falcon in that scrum.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that was bullshit. That Aurora got dunked way too quickly. :/

Which means I'll need a full fleet of them when station-crashing!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It probably should not have tried to dive into shanking range against a battlestation.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wonder how many BRDY asteroid chuckers it will take to blitz one down. :black101:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Arrath posted:

I wonder how many BRDY asteroid chuckers it will take to blitz one down. :black101:

Stations are the perfect target for the Hammerclaw. I want to bring a fleet full of shrimps to crack one of those.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I bought this game back in 2013 and played it for about a week before hanging it up. Sounds like there has been a lot added to the game since then. Is it worth jumping back in for more than just skirmish fighting?

Better yet is there any good overview of the state of the game currently? Features and such.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The game is amazing and just keeps getting better.

There are too many cool things to go over, to get a sample of everything I'd suggest watching the first episode of the let's plays on youtube tagged with the latest game version. (0.8a?)

Game is super accessible and you try your hand at everything (with varying degrees of success) right out the gate, so usually those first 1-2 episodes from a competent player will showcase all the good parts of the game, and it just scales with your fleet and money from thereon out.

Also there are a ton of mods that enhance the game, including several finely tuned ones from goons in this very thread.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

I bought this game back in 2013 and played it for about a week before hanging it up. Sounds like there has been a lot added to the game since then. Is it worth jumping back in for more than just skirmish fighting?

Better yet is there any good overview of the state of the game currently? Features and such.

Take a look at the recent dev blogs.

I think we're somewhere between 1-3 months from the next release, and this one will be pretty major. The last one added lots of star systems and a very large hyperspace map with officers and various new faction options.

This new one will add an entirely new economy and player-owned-and-built-stations and faction management.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Popete posted:

A ton has been added to the game since then, give it a try.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Take a look at the recent dev blogs.

I think we're somewhere between 1-3 months from the next release, and this one will be pretty major. The last one added lots of star systems and a very large hyperspace map with officers and various new faction options.

This new one will add an entirely new economy and player-owned-and-built-stations and faction management.

0.8 was essentially a new game when it hit. It re-wrote just about everything in the campaign layer. This upcoming patch doesn't look quite as comprehensive but it's bringing us to the point where we will have goals beyond "tailor your perfect fleet."

I think 0.9, while impressive in its own right, is just setting up the mechanics for the next patch. I would imagine it will begin to flesh out the true end game.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

This game just makes me want to play Subspace Continuum.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

First Time Caller posted:

This game just makes me want to play Subspace Continuum.

I would be all over a space soccer mod for Starsector, complete with SSC sound effects.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I literally just stumbled on this thread looking for something new to play and it looks fun. Is the must-have mod list in the op current?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Not for first playthroughs, no. Unmodded is definitely the best way to start playing the game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Even past the first playthrough, I don't think the "must have" list in the OP represents any kind of consensus view. Some of the mods listed make a lot of changes from vanilla that aren't necessarily improvements, just different gameplay experiences. There are some cool mods for this game but the vanilla game is great on its own, so to say that there are "must have" mods is not accurate.

Personally I would recommend starting with vanilla, then adding a couple faction mods. Blackrock is far and away the best faction mod. Tiandong is cool too (if it is still up to date?). Templars adds a cool boss-style faction.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Bold Robot posted:

Personally I would recommend starting with vanilla, then adding a couple faction mods. Blackrock is far and away the best faction mod. Tiandong is cool too (if it is still up to date?). Templars adds a cool boss-style faction.

I'm quite partial to Diable Avionics. Their ships have cool Terran Trade Authority stripes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There are no must-have mods for Star Sector. Some games really need mods to unlock their full potential, but even the best mods for starsector are just added content. It's just more content, not major gameplay improvements or better interfaces or anything like that. It's not like cities skylines or skyrim or something where you need 50 big gameplay mods that vastly improve the gameplay. In Starsector it's just more ships and weapons, sometimes to the point of clutter and imbalance.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Shadowyards is another premium quality mod. It's even goon-made, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Shadowyards is another premium quality mod. It's even goon-made, iirc.

Weird way to spell Blackrock Drive Yards.