Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really hope Oklahoma is NIT-bound now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'll be stunned if Pearl is still at Auburn when more scandal stuff makes itself known

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MourningView posted:

We weren't the only state that did it or even the last! Oklahoma ended it two years after Iowa did. It was a bigger deal in Iowa though, there are old people who are still mad that it's gone.

Also I assume he said 3 on 3 that's what he meant. It was basically two half court 3 on 3 games

Oklahoma was the last state to have 3-on-3/6-on-6. Iowa wasn't far behind.

If you've never seen that type of basketball, someone in Iowa has uploaded a few state championship films. This is from 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGIDr0TcGM

Besides the halfcourt game, you'll also notice that there is no such thing as an unlimited dribble. I haven't seen it happen yet because handchecking seems rare, but I believe non-shooting fouls got you one free throw attempt (one-and-one didn't exist yet). Guards weren't allowed to shoot free throws.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
And we're onto Nevada

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Oklahoma was the last state to have 3-on-3/6-on-6. Iowa wasn't far behind.

If you've never seen that type of basketball, someone in Iowa has uploaded a few state championship films. This is from 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGIDr0TcGM

Besides the halfcourt game, you'll also notice that there is no such thing as an unlimited dribble. I haven't seen it happen yet because handchecking seems rare, but I believe non-shooting fouls got you one free throw attempt (one-and-one didn't exist yet). Guards weren't allowed to shoot free throws.

There were girls who put up just like stupid scoring numbers back then. Kyle Korver's mom had like 70 points in a game

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/971927288358080512
see thread title

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm Middle Tennessee and I just lost to sub-.500 Southern Miss

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

It's perfect

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll be stunned if Pearl is still at Auburn when more scandal stuff makes itself known
Lol if he wins two tourney games we're gonna build him a statue. I mean if you're assuming proof comes that he was directly implicated fine but we ain't doing poo poo if it's just the basic plot we know now.

Bama win is a better matchup for us I think, we're still too thin to win on consecutive days I think and a 3 seed should be secure so I'm not sweating tomorrow.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Gonna be a crock of poo poo when Middle Tennessee gets left out of the tournament for Alabama or Oklahoma

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/theponiexpress/status/971552140429848577?s=21

Also RC: you can’t mention early girls HS ball without mentioning Iowa and 6-player ball
I remember seeing that on the TV as a kid and thinking "what the hell version of basketball is this".

In recent years I worked with a teacher who actually made the Iowa state tournament in...the late 80's???...and she told me that as weird as it was, that was just how girls were supposed to play basketball.

That was obviously untrue since my home state (Minnesota) has had official girls' basketball tournaments for 40-50 years and I don't think they've ever been anything but 5v5, full-court basketball.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this Wikipedia note - The 1968 Iowa girl's state high school championship game. Union-Whitten beat Everly 113-107 in overtime. Everly's Jeanette Olson scored 76 points and Denise Long of Union-Whitten 64.[10]

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2018

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

God loving drat I wish New Mexico could play some defense, rather than rely on missed open shots.

Edit: On one side of the MWC bracket, you have Nevada and SDSU. On the other you have Utah State and New Mexico.

The more things change the more they stay the same I guess.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 9, 2018

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Auburn getting run out of the stadium against Alabama does somewhat help Tech's chances of getting that coveted 3 seed in Dallas. Tech's just gotta beat WVU (another likely 4 seed) tonight. In a way, this Tech vs WVU game is each team's chance at moving up a seed. I don't think the loser falls to a 5, but the winner certainly has a leg up in landing a 3. Each team could wind up as high as a 2 seed, depending on where chips fall.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

https://twitter.com/sportsiren/status/972203555175194625

ah hell

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The MWC Championship is #5 SDSU and #3 UNM. Holy poo poo Weir has changed everything for us.

But this is literally the only team I didn’t want the Lobos to face.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

The MWC Championship is #5 SDSU and #3 UNM. Holy poo poo Weir has changed everything for us.

But this is literally the only team I didn’t want the Lobos to face.

Same but the other way around.

We don't have much luck in MWC Championship games vs New Mexico

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

a neat cape posted:

Same but the other way around.

We don't have much luck in MWC Championship games vs New Mexico

It is nice to see SDSU-UNM as an important MWC game again, at least. After what you guys did to Nevada though, I’m really worried.

Edit: who wants to see Eric Musselman’s pregame comments? They’re really bad and it’s no wonder Nevada came out flat lol.

https://twitter.com/zacelectrifly/status/972294192008380416

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 10, 2018

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
*points to thread title*
https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/972333084568883200

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That's kind of crazy that UNC hadn't beaten Duke in the ACCT in 20 years.

Grayson Allen tripped a guy by jabbing his rear end out into him and got a flagrant lol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

That's kind of crazy that UNC hadn't beaten Duke in the ACCT in 20 years.

Grayson Allen tripped a guy by jabbing his rear end out into him and got a flagrant lol.

Video of the incident:

https://twitter.com/kevantrich/status/972322066769694721

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/jasonrmcintyre/status/972481745802051586

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
:( Tech lost a close one vs WVU. The one day turnaround was not great for Keenan Evan's toe and all the missed free throws doomed us.

Likely still a 4 seed, which is pretty dang good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kevin Ollie got fired

:rip:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kevin Ollie got fired

:rip:

For cause too.

Also Duke somehow ended up making it a competitive game so I've got to say this is the best I've felt about a Duke loss in a while.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/soIoucity/status/972328582491107328

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jordan Barnett arrested for a DUI. I guess we know where he was on Thursday

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

For cause too.

This FBI thing is going to end up just being a way for schools who want to fire their coach for cause to get an easy out.

Mike_V posted:

Jordan Barnett arrested for a DUI. I guess we know where he was on Thursday

Well poo poo. loving idiot.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I wonder if UConn is going to poo poo or get off the pot regarding the Big East.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mark Fox is out at Georgia.

He's so personally likable that even the athletic department communication was that Fox "will not return next season."

Georgia can stick anybody out there and get similar results. So long as the next coach doesn't have a son teaching principles of basketball, they'll do about the same and in the same ho-hum manner.

Georgia's serious issue is that recruiting in-state isn't good - rarely does a highly projected Atlanta player stay in state (I have no faith in Rayshaun Hammonds' abilities) - and they can't get big prospects outside the state. Granted, Georgia Tech's not doing much better.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I am so happy

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

a neat cape posted:

I am so happy

Congrats buddy, it was a classic SDSU-UNM game, and you guys deserved to win in the end.

I can’t even bother hating SDSU anymore, since we’ve both spent at least 2 years being okay at best.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Georgia can stick anybody out there and get similar results. So long as the next coach doesn't have a son teaching principles of basketball, they'll do about the same and in the same ho-hum manner.

Georgia's serious issue is that recruiting in-state isn't good - rarely does a highly projected Atlanta player stay in state (I have no faith in Rayshaun Hammonds' abilities) - and they can't get big prospects outside the state. Granted, Georgia Tech's not doing much better.

do i have some good news for you

https://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/972638957602263041

seriously though never understood why they hired Fox in the first place—he wasn't that great at Nevada—or kept him around so long for so little return.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

Congrats buddy, it was a classic SDSU-UNM game, and you guys deserved to win in the end.

I can’t even bother hating SDSU anymore, since we’ve both spent at least 2 years being okay at best.

Same. Hopefully the conference can get back to where we can grab some at large bids and not worry about having to win three games in three days.

gently caress UNLV though

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

I guess Rick wants to lose to Cal twice a year now.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So long as the next coach doesn't have a son teaching principles of basketball, they'll do about the same and in the same ho-hum manner.

quote:

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?

a. Eye Exam

b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam

c. Bug Control Exam

d. Georgia Exit Exam

hahaha

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

a neat cape posted:

Same. Hopefully the conference can get back to where we can grab some at large bids and not worry about having to win three games in three days.

gently caress UNLV though

If Gonzaga really joins, that’ll help a lot. Maybe they’ll drag BYU back too and we can hate them even more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ollie was considered a hot NBA prospect as a coach not that long ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

seriously though never understood why they hired Fox in the first place—he wasn't that great at Nevada—or kept him around so long for so little return.

Crean's name is coming up in rumors. The sides have a mutual history of underachieving, so I can see why it might be a fit.

Hell, I don't think I'd mind Tubby Smith coming back if Memphis cans him.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I do not want Tom Crean at Georgia. Fire him into the loving sun instead. I’d take Pitino or Tubby on pre retirement party any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

elentar posted:

Of what you about Georgia basketball makes you think they are able to make good choices and build a program that is any better that “meh”.

• Locked thread