Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wish OG L and O and Criminal Intent were back on Netflix. Those shows were legitimately good television before prestige dramas were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It WAS canceled and it IS coming back next week.

How’s that work

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wish OG L and O and Criminal Intent were back on Netflix. Those shows were legitimately good television before prestige dramas were a thing.

I would binge the first two seasons so fast

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

How’s that work

NBC changed its mind

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

NBC changed its mind

"I'm having one of my trademark changes of heart"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

How’s that work

Time travel?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hear she won a competition to be on that show.

Was there more than 1 contestant?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I expect it's because NBC is so bad at TV that the Timeless studio decided to just make the next season anyway and air it on NBC whether they were allowed to or not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Considering NBC put ER up for streaming for the first time ever two months ago, I imagine Vanilla L&O is coming to Hulu sometime this year.

Criminal Intent is kind of the red-headed stepchild of the franchise (well, outside of Los Angeles, Conviction and Trial By Jury) because no one watched it and it got punted to USA after a few years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This reminds of how 30 Rock was the biggest NBC critic. "Shows like Law and Order whre...wait...what? Who made that decision?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

This reminds of how 30 Rock was the biggest NBC critic. "Shows like Law and Order whre...wait...what? Who made that decision?"
It was a tentpole! A tentpole!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
always has to be posted during this conversation

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NBC was just barely the number two network last year behind CBS. They're doing just fine now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

NBC was just barely the number two network last year behind CBS. They're doing just fine now.

Wasn't that largely because of football, This is Us and The Voice, though? (And I guess the Chicago shows all getting reliable numbers.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

At one point NBC had a comedy line up of 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Community. Everyone I know loves at least one of those shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey remember the SLAP

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Studio 60

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Hey remember the SLAP
Yes

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Wasn't that largely because of football, This is Us and The Voice, though? (And I guess the Chicago shows all getting reliable numbers.)

I'm not sure that their success being largely because if several wildly popular programmes isn't an accurate measure of "doing just fine" like you seem to think.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Just finished Glitch and enjoyed that a great deal. I'd seen the premise in other shows but it was nicely done and finished well. Although the main character spent the entirety of the second season arriving at a location, asking where someone was, being frustrated, asking everyone to stay, leaving, and everyone just walks away anyway. Just herding cats all season, hilariously.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

At one point NBC had a comedy line up of 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Community. Everyone I know loves at least one of those shows.

Only one of those was actually a large ratings success though (despite all being excellent shows overall)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

precision posted:

Hey remember the SLAP

Thank you for an excuse to look up and post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_niiQfeWc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Hey remember the SLAP

I remember the book and the (original) show being very good. Y'all only saw the American remake, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Joel McHale is pretty good. Especially the Youtube relationship part.

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
That Younger ad on Hulu is the most annoying ad ever and they play it 90 times every ad break

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This week's Joel McHale is pretty good. Especially the Youtube relationship part.

Yeah, they found some amazing clips this week. I loved the Japanese prank show and the “finally time to spread my legs” part too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still angry that THE SLAP wasn't a Barney/Marshall HIMYM spinoff.

SLAPSGIVING.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I wonder if Donnadorable is going to be sad that she didn't get a segment this week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm still angry that THE SLAP wasn't a Barney/Marshall HIMYM spinoff.

SLAPSGIVING.

I still can't decide if Slapsgiving or Robin Sparkles in my favorite HIMYM plot. What is amazing is that they originate in the same episode, which is some drat genius writing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I recently rewatched/finished HIMYM and while it definitely has its flaws and low period and I have some serious criticisms with the last few years and finale... when that show was on it hit home runs.

Also Barney ages really badly. But still. Home runs when it works. And its not like he wasn't creepy at the time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I recently rewatched/finished HIMYM and while it definitely has its flaws and low period and I have some serious criticisms with the last few years and finale... when that show was on it hit home runs.

Also Barney ages really badly. But still. Home runs when it works. And its not like he wasn't creepy at the time.

I honestly do think that Neil Patrick Harris being openly gay has tempered some of the reactions to his character. I think there is less suspension of disbelief and people just view it as crazy antics for the sake of comedy as opposed to buying all in on the character.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Someone point me to the current tviv American idol thread that is surely choc-full of posters and contestants goon brothers like things were around here just a decade ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How was the Slap based on a book? What kind of book was that?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TV Zombie posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Slap-Novel-Christos-Tsiolkas/dp/0143117149/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

It's an Australian book by Christos Tsiolkas. It's written in eight parts, with each focusing on a different character in a loosely connected group of "friends". Each of them is very different -- one part's about a gay teen, another's about a soap opera writer, a third's about a sixty year old immigrant. The actual slap itself is only relevant for two of those parts, the book's mostly a bunch of dramatic novellas. It's very similar to Cloud Atlas, actually, by with more satire and none of the genre play going on.

If you're interested, the Australian television adaptation's really good -- the American version completely loving butchers it by changing around a lot of the character motivations and trying to bolt on a dramatic arc that isn't there. (NBC has difficulty with subtlety what a surprise.) They cut out a lot of the greekness, really downplayed the homosexuality, changed the plot so that a character who got an abortion did not... that, and all the characters are more posh and have "respectable", "aspirational" jobs. (The soapie writer becoming a film director, for instance.)

Actually, there's a lot of really great Aussie tv out there that no-one's ever heard of, but I guess that's unsurprising. It's almost impossible to find over here, and even then you have to know what you're looking for.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's an Australian book by Christos Tsiolkas. It's written in eight parts, with each focusing on a different character in a loosely connected group of "friends". Each of them is very different -- one part's about a gay teen, another's about a soap opera writer, a third's about a sixty year old immigrant. The actual slap itself is only relevant for two of those parts, the book's mostly a bunch of dramatic novellas. It's very similar to Cloud Atlas, actually, by with more satire and none of the genre play going on.

If you're interested, the Australian television adaptation's really good -- the American version completely loving butchers it by changing around a lot of the character motivations and trying to bolt on a dramatic arc that isn't there. (NBC has difficulty with subtlety what a surprise.) They cut out a lot of the greekness, really downplayed the homosexuality, changed the plot so that a character who got an abortion did not... that, and all the characters are more posh and have "respectable", "aspirational" jobs. (The soapie writer becoming a film director, for instance.)

Actually, there's a lot of really great Aussie tv out there that no-one's ever heard of, but I guess that's unsurprising. It's almost impossible to find over here, and even then you have to know what you're looking for.

Counterpoint: The vast majority of Australian television is complete trash and our industry doesn't know how to make good entertainment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Counterpoint: The vast majority of Australian television is complete trash and our industry doesn't know how to make good entertainment.

I agree with the former, not so much with the latter, though there is a lot of trash out there. I guess I misspoke with when I said "a lot", but I can think of several shows that are really, really great. The Slap, Love My Way, Spirited, Wentworth, Sea Change, Farscape, Tangle... and though I generally try to stay away from Australian "comedies", anything these guy do is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhgJjicMz8

(That's her real placenta.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 12, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CelestialScribe posted:

At least y'all export some dope af actors.

Also yeah The Katering Show is great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a few episodes of the Australian Review and it wasn't bad. Still prefer the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelestialScribe posted:

Confirmed, with a cherry on top.