Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh gently caress I'm a drat moron who needs to learn to read. I'm facebook friends with the author.

I was just going to a FB group we both moderate to complain about it, and she's already posted how proud she is of writing it :negative:

Post it anyway. Post chatlogs here. Thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
The French are good at smoking dirt-flavored cigarettes and riding bikes. End of list.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My parents got me one of those Trader Joe's "7 salts of the World" packs for Christmas, and my loving stupid cat knocked over and smashed all but three of the tubes. I'm still a little broken up and salty about it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jay Carney posted:

Post it anyway. Post chatlogs here. Thank you for your service.

Alas, I am a ninny about conflict. But I can present someone with more guts and humor!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This time of year stores over here always stock big bags of really cheap road salt, marked with notes about how they are not for human consumption, and I can't find any information about why that is. I wish I could buy those bag instead of overly expensive food salt.

That article is full blown insanity.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

Kosher salt, such as Diamond Crystal (which is made by Cargill's chemical division), clocks in at 99.83 percent sodium chloride. By comparison, naturally occurring salts come out anywhere between 95 and 97 percent pure sodium chloride, and very rarely much more.

The main reason most chefs and home cooks use kosher salt is that it's cheap and readily available. "We have this righteous idea that salt should be just about free," Bitterman said, "and we're not realizing that that's because we're insisting that it be made in the shittiest possible circumstances, and to the shittiest possible standards."

The thing that it is is scary because that thing is too much the thing that it is. This is a low standard.

-A crazy person

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That part isn't completely incoherent. Like drinking pure H2O is not good, so looking for pure NaCl isn't necessarily the best, he thinks.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The dots not connected are that

A) The impurities that make up the remaining 0.17% in :supaburn: mass market salt :supaburn: are not as desirable, probably because they are chemical companies, not artisans
B) The flavorful 3-5% minerals in :homebrew: natural :homebrew: salts are better for you, because nature put them there

e: she's overseas atm and last updated fb 5 hours ago, so likely no chatlogs today, friends.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 7, 2018

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

This time of year stores over here always stock big bags of really cheap road salt, marked with notes about how they are not for human consumption, and I can't find any information about why that is. I wish I could buy those bag instead of overly expensive food salt.

That article is full blown insanity.

How much salt do you really use?! :stare:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Force de Fappe posted:

How much salt do you really use?! :stare:

I just want to buy my entire lifetime supply of salt at once; and maybe really get into pickling.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I like maldon as much as the next guy, but nothing they said makes any sense. I like the "food comes from farmers, salt comes from cargill." Sure, but that farmer has millions of dollars worth of fertilizer, soil amendments, seeds, and pesticides from cargill.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 8, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

gasp

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Cargill just wants you to know that their other products are definitely not food.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elizabethan Error posted:

also that site has live rendered polygons instead of header/footer images, so it's pretentious and dumb all round

Do what now. I have ublock origin. and I'm not seeing em.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The "artisinal" salt market is one giant scam. Himalaya salt? Either from the himalayans or as it turns out, from Poland. Saw a documentary about the misleading idea that salt can be special and how they price hike it.

People are stupid.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

ee means that if you right click on the logo they got, it's not an image, it's a complicated svg dealio

they are right, it is a travesty and abomination

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

it's the 'TaStInG tAbLe' letters at the top/bottom, as well as the farm animals in the footer

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a baffling design decision.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Terrorist ransom note lettering suggests a cry for help

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Manuel Calavera posted:

What a baffling design decision.

Regardless of bad design she is getting torn apart in the comments and it's pretty funny.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Regardless of bad design she is getting torn apart in the comments and it's pretty funny.

In our group chat:

I'm pretty sure anyone who writes articles online is numbed to the content of comments sections

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

In our group chat:

I'm pretty sure anyone who writes articles online is numbed to the content of comments sections

curious that she values purity in her comment section.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is the very easiest sort of situation to say "people who disagree with you aren't trolls" because holy gently caress of course people disagree with a polemic against the most widely used foodstuff ever. Did she expect full agreement?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’m sorry, she shits out drivel like that and expects everyone to just lap it up?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BrianBoitano posted:

In our group chat:

Haha they aren't trolls, they legitimately disagree with the article. Especially not disclaiming that the "selmelier" owns an expensive salt company and would have an inherent bias against a competitors product that owns the market.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Please stop drinking cheap water because reasons

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I only use organic single batch salt harvested from Polish mines by blind slaves and I only drink artisan charcoal water made with sustainable locally processed spring water and charcoal naturally found in ancient burial sites.

I am okay with this because it stops the lambs screaming in my brain, telling me I'm not spending enough on life.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

theres a will theres moe posted:

Please stop drinking cheap water because reasons

Take it from me, a guy who owns an expensive water company

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Steve Yun posted:

Take it from me, a guy who owns an expensive water company

Is it raw water?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Activated charcoal water, actually

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
If you drink unactivated charcoal water you loving die

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

VERTiG0 posted:

If you drink unactivated charcoal water you loving die

I eat organic charcoal briquets with the finest organic ethanol based lighter fluid embedded in them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I eat organic charcoal briquets with the finest organic ethanol based lighter fluid embedded in them.

Do you light your farts afterwards?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

Do you light your farts afterwards?

I mean, who doesnt?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I mean, who doesnt?

The Queen. It’s frowned upon in polite society, or so I’m told.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

therattle posted:

The Queen. It’s frowned upon in polite society, or so I’m told.

I don't believe that for a second. Flee, corgis!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/jo7FTzn.mp4

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you could tell the college kids who ate skyline since they'd put on a freshman 30

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:modsass:
Skyline is both cool and good.