Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd be extremely shocked if Wrestlemania doesn't have pyro, because that's the time WWE ups the pageantry to 11 and really does it up with the entrances and the custom stage and poo poo, but then again even the loving Mania sign didn't get pyro this year.

Wrestlemania 33's pageantry was easily the best part of that show. The set, the big-rear end globe, the big-rear end ramp, all the crazy entrances. God, it was all so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bradzilla posted:

I bet they don't even shell out for pyro at Mania this year

I can't remember there being any pyro at Mania 30 other than Taker and Brock.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I bet they dont even probably know how to shoot fireworks. Dumbass idiot can't do it. prove me wrong

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Cavauro posted:

I bet they dont even probably know how to shoot fireworks. Dumbass idiot can't do it. prove me wrong

Daniel Bryan is returning but they can't have fireworks because it gives him seizures

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Accident Underwater posted:

Daniel Bryan is returning but they can't have fireworks because it gives him seizures

What -doesn't- give him seizures?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

VJeff posted:

I'd be extremely shocked if Wrestlemania doesn't have pyro, because that's the time WWE ups the pageantry to 11 and really does it up with the entrances and the custom stage and poo poo, but then again even the loving Mania sign didn't get pyro this year.

Wrestlemania 33's pageantry was easily the best part of that show. The set, the big-rear end globe, the big-rear end ramp, all the crazy entrances. God, it was all so great.

I don't know if I agree completley. Maybe i'm nitpicking but it took the steam out of some of the entrances with how long the ramp was.
Everything with WWE is taking your time but with the stadiuns it's: Do a pose at the top of the ramp then speed walk down awkwardly

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

When were the big budget cuts that took away the pyro, pre- or post-Mania 33?

I didn't really start to miss it until they took away Kane's stuff :negative:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Troxartas posted:

I don't know if I agree completley. Maybe i'm nitpicking but it took the steam out of some of the entrances with how long the ramp was.
Everything with WWE is taking your time but with the stadiuns it's: Do a pose at the top of the ramp then speed walk down awkwardly

If you didn't love Cena talking about how he's got quite a run to do, then jogging down to the ring, past Nikki who realises it's jogging time; then maybe wrestling isn't for you.

Watching people have to run unnatural distances is Wrestlemania. Also, ask Charles Robinson.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean really the pyro must be peanuts compared to a lot of the other costs. Let’s just keep cutting the budget and hope things skyrocket back to the attitude era magically. What do you mean try booking better?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Liquid Communism posted:

What -doesn't- give him seizures?

Brie's music

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Wazzu posted:

If you didn't love Cena talking about how he's got quite a run to do, then jogging down to the ring, past Nikki who realises it's jogging time; then maybe wrestling isn't for you.

Watching people have to run unnatural distances is Wrestlemania. Also, ask Charles Robinson.

Of course, when they do something different with it like that funny bit with Cena, or the bad snake with Orton it works.
But then everybody elses is just feels same-y to me, like I said it's not ruining the event, just a nitpick I had with it

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean really the pyro must be peanuts compared to a lot of the other costs. Let’s just keep cutting the budget and hope things skyrocket back to the attitude era magically. What do you mean try booking better?

It's such a perfect example where no one goes to WWE for the pyro, but the pyro sure helps it to feel special. Brock with no explosion feels flat, Kane with no fire isn't imposing and cool, Batista machine gun dance looks stupid, etc.

Plus the pageantry sets them apart from the indies. If the only difference is that WWE has the names and the awful spiteful booking. For specific costs: cut Shane McMahon, that would minimum pay for PPV pyro.

Clearly the next WWE boom will come from Roman Reigns, the person no one loves, is booked poorly, and can be ably described as uncaring, aggressive, and cocky/confident.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 12, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

When were the big budget cuts that took away the pyro, pre- or post-Mania 33?

I didn't really start to miss it until they took away Kane's stuff :negative:

Sometime in July. It really sunk in how lame it was when Brock showed up for the build to Great Balls with no pyro.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

well fastlane sure was a wrestling show

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Fastlane sure was a show. Pretty mediocre all around, although the women's tag match was a loving dumpster fire. Carmella is irredeemably awful. No heat, can't wrestle. And to think there are people who think CARMELLA ending the streak would be an actual honest to god great idea.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DarkstarIV posted:

Fastlane sure was a show. Pretty mediocre all around, although the women's tag match was a loving dumpster fire. Carmella is irredeemably awful. No heat, can't wrestle. And to think there are people who think CARMELLA ending the streak would be an actual honest to god great idea.

At least charlotte v ruby was good. They should probably introduce midcard belts for women if they want this poo poo to continue having steam because god drat does having women tag matches where someone interferes or 6-women tags every goddamn show suck

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This was the best Fastlane they've ever put on (the first one comes close) IMO

Not that it was a great show, mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They have got to get Shane out of storylines. He was fine when he and Bryan were just the guys who opened shows saying,"Check out all the cool stuff we have tonight, enjoy! :wave:" and then left, peppered with the odd fun interaction during the night. Now Shane is just constantly inserting himself into storylines, muddying the waters and dragging down great talent who are being overshadowed by whatever the gently caress his storyline is supposed to be (I still have no idea) and it's just becoming exhausting to have to deal with.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Quick check of wiki says Shane was constantly breaking up pins in this match. Is that as loving obnoxious as it sounds?

Was the "Sami lays down, SWERVE, ROLL-UP" spot any good?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

VJeff posted:

Quick check of wiki says Shane was constantly breaking up pins in this match. Is that as loving obnoxious as it sounds?

Owens knew it was a ruse, so he was about to pick him up for a move. I liked it.

But then SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

At least charlotte v ruby was good. They should probably introduce midcard belts for women if they want this poo poo to continue having steam because god drat does having women tag matches where someone interferes or 6-women tags every goddamn show suck

No time for that now with dual brand PPVs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Cruiserweights getting a second belt and NXT getting a second singles title before the women get a second title of any sort is a pretty severe indictment of the depth of the women's division company wide, imo.

But the Royal Rumble being like 30% call-ins was equally severe and that already happened.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Have Cena battle...uh.....Johnny Gargano. He's being called up and both of them can play on the desperation angle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VJeff posted:

Sami and Kevin were alone in the ring, Kevin squared up to fight but Sami insisted he was a man of his word and dropped to his back and offered Kevin a chance to pin him. Kevin looked tempted, then suddenly grabbed at his head to haul him for a Pop-up Powerbomb. Simultaneously, Sami - who had been faking - grabbed him around the neck for a roll-up pin but he'd lost the element of surprise. They leaped up and began windmilling punches at each other, which was great.

VJeff posted:

After fighting to the outside, Sami spotted Shane McMahon sitting at ringside and got furious at him for enjoying watching two friends fight. As they were arguing, Kevin tried to superkick Sami in the back of the head, but Sami dived to the side and it hit Shane instead. Kevin and Sami kept fighting, Kevin managed to get Sami down and covered him but after a count of two the ref was hauled out by Shane. As Kevin argued with Shane, Sami took out Kevin and Shane encouraged him to cover him, so Sami did... and Shane hauled Sami off of Kevin.

Corey was enraged, even Byron looked pissed, and after the match was over the camera focused on Shane looking smug over Sami and Kevin's bodies while AJ celebrated in the background inside the ring. He then went on Talking Smack and said that Daniel Bryan's actions were becoming frustrating to have to deal with, babbled for so long that Renee had to cut him off, and made a passive aggressive snipe before walking out of the studio.

All of the above you would think HAS to mean he is a heel, right?

RIGHT!?!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm so glad they managed to set up another Jinder/Orton feud. Everybody I know has been clamoring for more ever since their last one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So with Fastlane over, it feels like the Wrestlemania card is probably going to be something akin to:

Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar for the Universal Title
AJ Styles vs Nakamura for the WWE Title
Kurt Angle/Ronda Rousey vs Triple H/Stephanie McMahon
John Cena vs Undertaker
Charlotte Flair vs Asuka for the Smackdown Women's Title
The Usos vs The New Day vs The Bludgeon Brothers for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles
Alexa Bliss vs Nia Jax (?) for the Raw Women's Title
The Bar vs Mystery Opponents (Authors of Pain?) for the Raw Tag Team Titles
The Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Final (that is resolved at Mania, right?)
The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
A similar Woman's Battle Royal?

Then maybe there will also be:

Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn vs.... sigh.... Shane McMahon
Sasha Banks vs Bayley

Anything else I'm missing/likely to be on the card? Does this feel largely accurate to everyone else? Also I know the show is 18 hours long but this feels like a LOT of matches.

Edit: Oh yeah, the IC Title and US Title matches. I legit completely forgot about those.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Sami and Kevin were alone in the ring, Kevin squared up to fight but Sami insisted he was a man of his word and dropped to his back and offered Kevin a chance to pin him. Kevin looked tempted, then suddenly grabbed at his head to haul him for a Pop-up Powerbomb. Simultaneously, Sami - who had been faking - grabbed him around the neck for a roll-up pin but he'd lost the element of surprise. They leaped up and began windmilling punches at each other, which was great.

After fighting to the outside, Sami spotted Shane McMahon sitting at ringside and got furious at him for enjoying watching two friends fight. As they were arguing, Kevin tried to superkick Sami in the back of the head, but Sami dived to the side and it hit Shane instead. Kevin and Sami kept fighting, Kevin managed to get Sami down and covered him but after a count of two the ref was hauled out by Shane. As Kevin argued with Shane, Sami took out Kevin and Shane encouraged him to cover him, so Sami did... and Shane hauled Sami off of Kevin.

Corey was enraged, even Byron looked pissed, and after the match was over the camera focused on Shane looking smug over Sami and Kevin's bodies while AJ celebrated in the background inside the ring. He then went on Talking Smack and said that Daniel Bryan's actions were becoming frustrating to have to deal with, babbled for so long that Renee had to cut him off, and made a passive aggressive snipe before walking out of the studio.

RIGHT!?!

So, let me make sure I have this right. AJ was the... *counts on fingers*

Fifth most important person in the feud for his championship, which he won?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Anything else I'm missing/likely to be on the card?

Malt liquor vs. my sobriety

Early reports have malt liquor going over in a squash as my sobriety is unhappy with its position and looking to leave the company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VJeff posted:

Well Ziggler was certainly the least. Aside from a pretty cool counter into the Fameasser, he spent the entire night getting clowned. Even when he made a big surprise return at one point in the match to hit a Superkick on Cena, Cena just immediately recovered and turned it into an AA. He was basically the whipping boy for the entire match.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

He was ahead of Corbin, Dolph, and possibly the title itself, so it's not all bad

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Pretty cool that AJ's idea of, "Let's have Nak and I fight at the top of the ladder at MitB so WWE can hear how hot the crowd is for it" actually worked and now he gets to do that match at Mania as the champion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Malt liquor vs. my sobriety

Early reports have malt liquor going over in a squash as my sobriety is unhappy with its position and looking to leave the company.

Well it had a good run, at least.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VJeff posted:

The Cruiserweights getting a second belt and NXT getting a second singles title before the women get a second title of any sort is a pretty severe indictment of the depth of the women's division company wide, imo.

But the Royal Rumble being like 30% call-ins was equally severe and that already happened.

If the cruisers and NXT were already split in half with a belt for each half they wouldn’t be getting midcard belts

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

He then went on Talking Smack and said that Daniel Bryan's actions were becoming frustrating to have to deal with, babbled for so long that Renee had to cut him off, and made a passive aggressive snipe before walking out of the studio.

RIGHT!?!

Did Bryan even do anything tonight? I only caught the last 20 minutes of Fastlane and that was enough for me to be fully annoyed with Shane.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If the Taker thing's gonna happen, it really should've started tonight IMO. Cena going for a pin, GONG, lights off, lights on, chokeslam, GONG, lights off, lights on.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

So with Fastlane over, it feels like the Wrestlemania card is probably going to be something akin to:

Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar for the Universal Title
AJ Styles vs Nakamura for the WWE Title
Kurt Angle/Ronda Rousey vs Triple H/Stephanie McMahon
John Cena vs Undertaker
Charlotte Flair vs Asuka for the Smackdown Women's Title
The Usos vs The New Day vs The Bludgeon Brothers for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles
Alexa Bliss vs Nia Jax (?) for the Raw Women's Title
The Bar vs Mystery Opponents (Authors of Pain?) for the Raw Tag Team Titles
The Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Final (that is resolved at Mania, right?)
The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
A similar Woman's Battle Royal?

Then maybe there will also be:

Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn vs.... sigh.... Shane McMahon
Sasha Banks vs Bayley

Anything else I'm missing/likely to be on the card? Does this feel largely accurate to everyone else? Also I know the show is 18 hours long but this feels like a LOT of matches.

Edit: Oh yeah, the IC Title and US Title matches. I legit completely forgot about those.

IC: Miz vs. Rollins vs. Balor
US: Orton vs. Roode vs. Jinder (God I'm already falling asleep just typing that)

That's at least 13 matches, and God knows what else will get shoved on the pre-show (they're giving the ARMBAR a big push this year with the Andre doc coming out, so that's gotta be on the main show). I'll be shocked if Bayley/Sasha makes the card.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Did Bryan even do anything tonight? I only caught the last 20 minutes of Fastlane and that was enough for me to be fully annoyed with Shane.

DBry wasn't there tonight

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

VJeff posted:

Did they confirm the Cruiserweights are getting a trios belt because that owns if so.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Did they confirm the Cruiserweights are getting a trios belt because that owns if so.

Finally a trios title that will mean less than the Never 6 man belts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

RIGHT!?!

The entire storyline feels like it logically should be coming to a head this Tuesday where Bryan calls out Shane for being a huge hypocrite, needlessly dragging out his feud with Owens & Sami by stirring the pot with them, and his continued singling out of them reeks of what HHH & Steph did to him and what Vince did to Austin. Shane then finally completes his turn by going full VInce and stripping Bryan of his authority or firing him in anger.

Orrr....we can just keep him face and have that match with Dolph. Something something steal the show something...

• Locked thread