Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blunt Instrument posted:

The reason the drakegun lowers the damage taken for your team is that instead of having good times smashing rats with hammers and learning the finer points of melee combat in the game, the team gets to sit there and watch the dwarf hold down M1.

The flame effect is not particularly pretty either so it doesn't even have the charm of a fireplace, and Bardin players that use it as the solution to any and all of life's problems are more annoying than any amount of Legolas rear end elf players because they at least tend to gently caress up in entertaining ways.

At the very least please do not specialize in its use, friends. It actively makes the game worse.

Gonna be straight up, I hate the dwarf flamethrower. Everyone uses it, it's a M1 + W pyro, and the particle effects are blinding especially in tunnels where it is most effective. Between that and the drakefire pistols it gives Dwarf the ammo system of Sienna without the drawbacks, since Dwarf's primary purpose is melee, he can just switch off to bright witch when he feels like it. Granted he can't vent as effectively, but once you get temp health on kill that isn't that big of a deal since you can just tank the damage on the temp health anyways.

I'm just salty because I hate the particle effects really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

elfplayer.webm

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

To be fair, you could try and get a video of a slayer in the wild but more often than not they've long since leapt out of sight.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Blinks77 posted:

To be fair, you could try and get a video of a slayer in the wild but more often than not they've long since leapt out of sight died in the middle of horde.

Fixed that for ya.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Every once in a while I catch myself thinking "I've got like 50% temp health built up, I can leap in there and let loose just fine for a bit"

Every time I regret my life choices that lead to that point.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
And that's why you became a Slayer :smug:

Also I posted my two videos for the series until some things change in the game to allow more in depth looks.

Gameplay Overview
Boss Overview

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 12, 2018

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Ad by Khad posted:

So far Champion difficulty in VT2 seems a lot more accessible and doable than Nightmare in VT1 was. This is good! Very few people actually did Nightmare at all in VT1.

Do you mean Cataclysm? Nightmare was very accessible in VT1.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Are the end of act bosses going to be a seperate video at some point?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ZoninSilver posted:

Are the end of act bosses going to be a seperate video at some point?

If I did that I'd wait until Skittergate gets fixed because the boss at the end bugs out massively in addition to all the things like losing your buffs and career talents & abilities.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
That makes sense, haven't actually gotten Skittergate unlocked yet but heard about enough issues to not be in a rush for it anyway.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Are you guys saying that bots will be way better than pubbies? Count me in

How does leveling bots work? Do they use your leveled characters levels or do they start from 1?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Handmaiden dodge isn’t her good passive, it’s the faster Stamina regen. Really lets you spam the spear push attack, which will both do crowd control and work as a blender, it absolutely rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i only got to play around with it for one map or so but the first charged swipe on the spear hits about 6 inches higher than i expect so i swing above everyone's goddamn head with it fix ur broken game fatshark

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You only really use that first charges swipe as an opener and then go into push attacks if fighting a horse. But yeah aim at their chests since the spear likes to ride high.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please don't fix that autocorrect

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Azerban posted:

Do you mean Cataclysm? Nightmare was very accessible in VT1.

No, I mean Nightmare. 85% of vt1 owners never completed a single map on Nightmare.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

No, I mean Nightmare. 85% of vt1 owners never completed a single map on Nightmare.

If you look at the stats for most games I think the vast majority of people don't play them much outside the tutorial and starting areas.

I'm gonna guess there's loads of people who pick stuff up on sale and just don't bother playing.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
That’s a horse rat!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I can't wait for the mods that make chaos into Tallrats and Widerats

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fans posted:

The Handmaiden dodge isn’t her good passive, it’s the faster Stamina regen. Really lets you spam the spear push attack, which will both do crowd control and work as a blender, it absolutely rules.

Also the dash becomes pretty useful once you get the 25 talent that makes everything ignore you for a few seconds when you dash. Lets you kill specials and avoid getting smashed by bosses. Also it maybe keeps you from taking fall damage? Can't tell if the slide kills your momentum or if I've just not jumped off something tall enough.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I’ve tried using it to avoid fall damage and no, you do seem to still take it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for explaining dwari and dwarf language. Now I like the thread title even more. :3:

Yeah Vermintide 2 is kind of me as dwarf finding battle comrades.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just unlocked Ironbreaker after a lot of playing SIR KRUBER and the elf, and holy loving poo poo. There's nothing quite like screwing up and taking a huge hit from a Chaos Warrior just to have it do 0 damage while Bardin tells them to try harder next time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ammanas posted:

Ranged and magic is way way stronger than melee, makes playing kruber a bit disappointing

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU3djLos_zY

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
The handmaiden dash is actually really good because it lets you interrupt any voice line with an extremely loud and echoing "LUMBERFOOTS!!!!"

Also it gets you out of bile troll vomit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does the Huntsman's active gently caress with your FoV for the rest of the game once you use it?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for explaining dwari and dwarf language. Now I like the thread title even more. :3:

Yeah Vermintide 2 is kind of me as dwarf finding battle comrades.

Here's a Khazalid primer if you have any more questions. It's a beautiful language.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Okri: Craftsman, a very common personal name."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like the lore, the look, and the lines for Witch Hunter Captain. I played a WH in the Warhammer MMO, and it makes me feel nostalgic to stab stuff with a rapier and shoot it.
Apparently the WHC is the weakest of all the subclasses? This hurts my feelings. Anybody have any advice for the WHC which isn't "go BH"?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Firstborn posted:

I really like the lore, the look, and the lines for Witch Hunter Captain. I played a WH in the Warhammer MMO, and it makes me feel nostalgic to stab stuff with a rapier and shoot it.
Apparently the WHC is the weakest of all the subclasses? This hurts my feelings. Anybody have any advice for the WHC which isn't "go BH"?

IMO the WHC's major problem is that it takes a fair bit of gearing for attack speed/crit chance to really bring out his personal strength during fights through endless instakill headshots with rapier swings. Outside of that, he's a fantastic support character thanks to the bonus damage on taggable enemies and AoE stun shout that also turns up crit rates. It's just that both those strengths rely on you having a good team that can take advantage of them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Today as Sienna I picked up a Krellian who had been downed (trying to save a Kruber who had decided he wanted to be an elf and just tore on ahead of us and got into trouble) and Sienna just chirpily goes "Lumberfoots!" as she did so.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I’d always ask people to clarify when they say a specific class is “weak”. In what context? Typically people are comparing it to another class, which misses the point of those other classes. WHC can’t be directly compared to BH because they are outright designed to do different things. WHC is Saltzpyre in his team support build. He gives bonuses to his allies there. BH is his ranged build. He shoots things in the face.

In this context, WHC is crazy good. An on demand knockdown that buffs allies and an inherent damage bonus to every tag is fantastic, especially when the WHC is so capable in both melee and range. Compared to Sienna or Kerillian’s team bonuses in Battle Wizard or Handmaiden respectively and it’s easy to see why WHC owns. BH also owns. Infinite ammo with guaranteed crits makes him a lot more versatile and flexible than many other ranged classes and his inherent weapon variety gives him wonderful niches he can fill besides. But to try to say “oh, there’s no reason to play WHC when BH exists” is incorrect because it misses the point of those specializations. That statement would be fine for Kruber, since his ranged class is so bad right now that his melee or support classes do 90% as well and offer other benefits besides, or sienna, whose support class provides such terrible bonuses that nobody will miss them. But for Saltzpyre? I’d be very suspicious that whomever is saying that is missing the point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Playing with pubbies for the most part since I got the game and it's been a pretty fun experience thus far. I've tried all the beginning classes out in a couple of games each and I've gravitated towards Saltzpyre as my main I guess. I really dig how fast he is on the attack and how his strong swing is a stab, poo poo just feels natural.

Some pub games seem to devolve into a big 4 player Vermintide 5000 race though, like who can blaze through the mission as fast as possible. Which results in everyone getting spread out, some Assassin Rat or a Hook Rat taking people down, resulting in some major backtracking and then because of the general way everyone is playing, we get trampled by whatever boss rat shows up.

My only other complaint is that I wish killing the fat Nurgle wizard was more satisfying. That son of a bitch is a real motherfucker and when you finally kill him he just disappears in a puff of green sparkles. Lemme stick my sword through his face, for Sigmars sake.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've had the opposite experience, amusingly, where pubbies will grind the mission to a halt in order to get a grimoire or tome, regardless of how bumpy the ride has been so far.

Listen, everyone has been downed twice and we desperately need to escape the manor, please stop tagging the last tome and run away

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

I've had the opposite experience, amusingly, where pubbies will grind the mission to a halt in order to get a grimoire or tome, regardless of how bumpy the ride has been so far.

Listen, everyone has been downed twice and we desperately need to escape the manor, please stop tagging the last tome and run away

I've had pub games like this too, at first I wasn't even loving sure what the hell they were doing because I didn't know about grimoires or tomes or any of that poo poo, so I was following them around while they scoured for the books. Then I'd get lost, then a hook rat would come for me to take me back to the slave pits.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

If they didn't want vt1 style block-revives to be a thing they wouldn't have given it to handmaiden.

I mean it seems just as likely that if they wanted everyone to have it, they wouldn't have advertised it as a unique career skill.

I'm glad they left it in but I'm not too bullish about it staying forever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Coolguye posted:

I’d always ask people to clarify when they say a specific class is “weak”. In what context?

The only important metric in the game, number of green circles in the results screen.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
They don't want everyone to have it, though. Handmaiden can do it, Ironbreaker can kind of do it if he burns his ult.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The more I played Bounty Hunter last night, the more I'm convinced it's up next on the nerfing block. The repeater crossbow plus his passive free crits just wreck any boss you run into. Save your active for when a chaos spawn grabs a teammate and unload many crossbow bolts in it's face repeatedly otherwise.

It is pretty fun to get to the end of the map and see you have more boss damage done than everyone else combined though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Playing with pubbies for the most part since I got the game and it's been a pretty fun experience thus far. I've tried all the beginning classes out in a couple of games each and I've gravitated towards Saltzpyre as my main I guess. I really dig how fast he is on the attack and how his strong swing is a stab, poo poo just feels natural.

Some pub games seem to devolve into a big 4 player Vermintide 5000 race though, like who can blaze through the mission as fast as possible. Which results in everyone getting spread out, some Assassin Rat or a Hook Rat taking people down, resulting in some major backtracking and then because of the general way everyone is playing, we get trampled by whatever boss rat shows up.

My only other complaint is that I wish killing the fat Nurgle wizard was more satisfying. That son of a bitch is a real motherfucker and when you finally kill him he just disappears in a puff of green sparkles. Lemme stick my sword through his face, for Sigmars sake.

There’s no gore effects on any specials now and it makes me sad