Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So did that bald honky stroke out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

First half: What is love, baby don't hurt me...
Second half: WHAT DID I JUST SAY?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

There's a section of Melbourne that's laid out like that. When the rest of the city was being drawn up to go north/south and east/west, the guy who was surveying this particular area wanted to be ~different~ (seriously, no other reason) and he drew up that area to be lined up with where the sun set on the Summer Solstice or some bullshit like that. Literally just to be different from the rest of the fledgling city.

https://i.imgur.com/uxTQMfF.mp4

Jeepers, take a look at the gams on that dame

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are more astronauts from Ohio than basically anywhere else. Like seriously there's a lot of them. The common joke is that Ohio sucks so much that people are rushing to leave the Earth entirely to get the gently caress away from it.

Or at one point there were more or...some other relevant statistic. I forget all the details but Ohio does in fact suck that much.

Don't forget the Wright Brothers. They invented flight just to get out of Ohio.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's some of the best 9/11 cosplay I've ever seen. :haw:

And I've seen a lot of 9/11 cosplay:

https://i.imgur.com/P5W9KHu.gifv

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Do they plan all the moon missions so the Earth is the same distance from the moon? Could another ship have gone less distance around the moon but still be farther from Ohio?

I believe they do, or at least when their landing destination is closest to their launch site. Less travel time means less time for something to go wrong and all that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I believe they do, or at least when their landing destination is closest to their launch site. Less travel time means less time for something to go wrong and all that.

Also less fuel consumption which is very much a big concern.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

This might be a stupid question but why does it take less fuel? Once you’re in space there’s very close to zero resistance, so why wouldn’t you use the same amount of fuel to leave the atmosphere at 17,000 miles per hour and then just coast slightly longer if the moon is farther away?

I don’t think there would be any advantage to doing it this way, but I don’t see why it would require more fuel.

Help me, space people. I don’t understand.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yoshi Wins posted:

This might be a stupid question but why does it take less fuel? Once you’re in space there’s very close to zero resistance, so why wouldn’t you use the same amount of fuel to leave the atmosphere at 17,000 miles per hour and then just coast slightly longer if the moon is farther away?

I don’t think there would be any advantage to doing it this way, but I don’t see why it would require more fuel.

Help me, space people. I don’t understand.

I suggest spending some time playing Kerbal Space Program. You'll learn this and much more.

In very rudimentary terms, an orbit is an ellipse. If the target is farther, you need a longer ellipse. It takes fuel to elongate the ellipse, with more fuel needed the longer the ellipse is.

poo poo, apparently this is the funny pictures thread. Have a gently caress rocket, I guess.

Enigma has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Mar 12, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enigma posted:

I suggest spending some time playing Kerbal Space Program. You'll learn this and much more.

In very rudimentary terms, an orbit is an ellipse. If the target is farther, you need a longer ellipse. It takes fuel to elongate the ellipse, with more fuel needed the longer the ellipse is.

poo poo, apparently this is the funny pictures thread. Have a gently caress rocket, I guess.

iirc, The basic thing to understand is you are not just flying from A to B in a straight line between static locations; You are intercepting a moving object. The reason for the ellipse is because you're aiming to travel to where your destination will be, not where it is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, The basic thing to understand is you are not just flying from A to B in a straight line between static locations; You are intercepting a moving object. The reason for the ellipse is because you're aiming to travel to where your destination will be, not where it is.

No, you could travel in a straight line to where it will be. You will often see that football receivers do just this, rather than running ellipses.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not important, actually. What's important to understand is that Earth's gravity does not end. The further away from Earth you want to go, the more energy you need, period.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Subjunctive posted:

No, you could travel in a straight line to where it will be. You will often see that football receivers do just this, rather than running ellipses.

Interesting. What kind of ellipse is it where the WR runs the diagonal then zag's left?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DandyLion posted:

Interesting. What kind of ellipse is it where the WR runs the diagonal then zag's left?

That’s a conic trapezoid.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Subjunctive posted:

That’s a conic trapezoid.

What about magnets, how do they work!?!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

That was a joke! A real joke!

So proud of her.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Big cat feels nothing anymore. The thrill of the kill is gone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RickVoid posted:

So proud of her.

The Sarah Silverman Show was hilarious, fucker

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I've heard of eye teeth but this is ridiculous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RickVoid posted:

So proud of her.
:rolleyes:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Enigma posted:

It only takes a bit more fuel. Not enough to be the primary mission driver. Inclination and launch azimuth were bigger concerns.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/launchwindow/lw1.html

From calculations:

It takes about 7.7 km/s of Delta V to get to LEO (ignoring the 2 km/s from gravity loss and drag).

Moon semi major axis is 385,000 km, eccentricity is .0549. Apoapsis is 406,000 km and periapsis is is 363,000. Velocity at apoapsis would be .96 km/s and velocity at periapsis would be 1.07 km/s. .11 km/s of delta V difference.

Not negligible, but the inclination penalties are way worse for timing of the launch.

Edit: forgot I was in funny pictures and not spaceflight: content

space uncle has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Mar 12, 2018

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's some excellent cosplay of that stuff that's under carpet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RickVoid posted:

So proud of her.

:frogout:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knormal posted:

That's some excellent cosplay of that stuff that's under carpet.

A... a floor?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

These aren’t my glasses!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

A... a floor?

There's a layer of padding under all but the shittiest of carpeting. :ssh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

A... a floor?

Underlay. The spongy stuff under the carpet. Since it isn't seen it doesn't matter what it looks like, so it is often made from recycled scraps of foam and stuff. Sometimes ends up looking like clown vomit.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

Underlay. The spongy stuff under the carpet. Since it isn't seen it doesn't matter what it looks like, so it is often made from recycled scraps of foam and stuff. Sometimes ends up looking like clown vomit.

Foam!!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I haven't seen those things do anything practical. In my mind, they exist to fall apart and make a bigger mess.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

well of course you wouldnt see it, its under the carpet

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caufman posted:

I haven't seen those things do anything practical. In my mind, they exist to fall apart and make a bigger mess.

What do you want them to do, exactly?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

space uncle posted:

It only takes a bit more fuel. Not enough to be the primary mission driver. Inclination and launch azimuth were bigger concerns.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/launchwindow/lw1.html

From calculations:

It takes about 7.7 km/s of Delta V to get to LEO (ignoring the 2 km/s from gravity loss and drag).

Moon semi major axis is 385,000 km, eccentricity is .0549. Apoapsis is 406,000 km and periapsis is is 363,000. Velocity at apoapsis would be .96 km/s and velocity at periapsis would be 1.07 km/s. .11 km/s of delta V difference.

Not negligible, but the inclination penalties are way worse for timing of the launch.

Edit: forgot I was in funny pictures and not spaceflight: content

On the Apollo missions, they didn't have the whole space toilet thing figured out yet. So they pooped in bags which were then sealed. If you seal poop in a bag, continued fermentation will cause the bag to expand as gas builds up inside it. To counter that, the inside of the bag was coated with an anti-bacterial gel. In order to completely kill all the bacteria in the poop, after you had done your business and sealed the bag, you had to knead it for a while to mix it all together.

Jim Lovell didn't like doing that. So as commander of the missions he was on, he decided he would delegate it. So to answer the age-old question, what's worse than massaging a bag of poop for half an hour? The answer is, massaging a bag of someone else's poop for half an hour.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Apollo turd transcripts are goddamn comedy gold. Slightly expanded transcripts (it happened more than once)

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Memento posted:

On the Apollo missions, they didn't have the whole space toilet thing figured out yet. So they pooped in bags which were then sealed. If you seal poop in a bag, continued fermentation will cause the bag to expand as gas builds up inside it. To counter that, the inside of the bag was coated with an anti-bacterial gel. In order to completely kill all the bacteria in the poop, after you had done your business and sealed the bag, you had to knead it for a while to mix it all together.

Jim Lovell didn't like doing that. So as commander of the missions he was on, he decided he would delegate it. So to answer the age-old question, what's worse than massaging a bag of poop for half an hour? The answer is, massaging a bag of someone else's poop for half an hour.

Half a goddamn hour!? How massive are these spaceman turds?

Takes me 5 minutes max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

dumb. posted:

Half a goddamn hour!? How massive are these spaceman turds?

Takes me 5 minutes max.

With or without a poop knife?