Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0qvqGzAd4

Welcome to Hope County, Montana, land of the free and the brave but also home to a fanatical doomsday cult known as Eden’s Gate. Stand up to cult leader Joseph Seed, and his siblings, the Heralds, to spark the fires of resistance and liberate the besieged community. :clint:

FIGHT AGAINST A DEADLY CULT
Free Hope County in solo or two-player co-op. Recruit Guns and Fangs for hire to help defeat the cult.

A WORLD THAT HITS BACK
Wreak havoc on the cult and its members but beware of the wrath of Joseph Seed and his followers.

CARVE YOUR OWN PATH
Build your character and choose your adventure in the largest customizable Far Cry game ever!

DYNAMIC TOYS
Take control of iconic muscle cars, ATV's, planes and a lot more to engage the cult forces in epic fights.

RE-DEFINED STEALTH MECHANICS
Enhance your gameplay with eye tracking. Tag enemies by looking at them to increase your stealth skills and help your teammates spot threats.
Compatible with all Tobii Eye Tracking gaming devices.

:coolfish:

quote:

Rumors of a fanatical cult called The Project at Eden's Gate lure three vloggers to remote Hope County, Montana. Following leads of missing locals and other strange events, the three infiltrate the cult. Shocked by what they uncover, they risk everything to warn the world.
Inside Eden's Gate, a Far Cry 5 short film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRnOXQswrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J695Yz33TY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSs91a7ur54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwW0jisKug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIAg7ByYVA

quote:

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION:

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD R9 270 (2GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Low

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION (60 FPS):

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High

Details on the new map editor.
Details on the season pass.

Release date: March 27th.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552520/Far_Cry_5/
https://store.ubi.com/us/far-cry--5/591567f6ca1a6460388b4568.html
:siren::911::siren:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Saving this post when I am eventually disappointed by this game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One of my biggest complaints about FC4 (the last one I played) was that it was basically more of Far Cry 3 (or, as a nickname that will surely catch on any day now, Far Cry: Brotherhood).

Looking at how FC5 is different from previous installments is not encouraging, as the changes to the actual gameplay are fairly minimal.

You get to choose your character, so I imagine the protagonist will (somehow) have even less personality than AJ. I know some people were really upset with the FC3 protagonist being a power-tripping bro, but being replaced with a cardboard cutout with a gun taped to it was not an improvement. Come to think of it, I wonder whether the fact that the villain isn't featured front and center, a-la Vaas and Pagan means they've just stuck "generic cult leader #5" personality with no modifications.

I do like the NPC helpers - this really is how things should have worked from the very start.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have no doubt that it's just more Far Cry only now in America but... I'm not too bummed about it.

I liked FC4 more than 3 just because it improved upon everything that I found middling about it... even the story somewhat.(which I honestly never gave too much of a crap about with FC games)
It realized its strengths and doubled down.

FC5 seems to be doing that again.

I wish they had more things to actually destroy, blowing apart buildings with all of the new toys they're adding would be great but it feels like Red Faction Guerilla was a fluke in destructibility at this point.

Otherwise, can't wait to go fishing and then immediately switch gears to murderin... with a buddy!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 10, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Deakul posted:

I have no doubt that it's just more Far Cry only now in America but... I'm not too bummed about it.

I liked FC4 more than 3 just because it improved upon everything that I found middling about it... even the story somewhat.(which I honestly never gave too much of a crap about with FC games)
It realized its strengths and doubled down.

FC5 seems to be doing that again.

I wish they had more things to actually destroy, blowing apart buildings with all of the new toys they're adding would be great but it feels like Red Faction Guerilla was a fluke in destructibility at this point.

Otherwise, can't wait to go fishing and then immediately switch gears to murderin... with a buddy!

Ubisoft owns the technology to Rainbow Six: Siege so the ability for dynamic destruction is technically available, but I imagine it's more a matter of it being tougher to design around as well as expensive hardware-wise.

I think the next console generation is going to see games looking as good as the best PC games look now, at which point graphics development will kind of taper off and we'll start seeing physics and animation start to make major leaps.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tumble posted:

Ubisoft owns the technology to Rainbow Six: Siege so the ability for dynamic destruction is technically available, but I imagine it's more a matter of it being tougher to design around as well as expensive hardware-wise.

I think the next console generation is going to see games looking as good as the best PC games look now, at which point graphics development will kind of taper off and we'll start seeing physics and animation start to make major leaps.

Oh man, I'd absolutely settle for destruction on the level of R6 Siege and yeah, it's likely a different ballgame entirely to have it for every building in an open world game with today's graphics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xander77 posted:

One of my biggest complaints about FC4 (the last one I played) was that it was basically more of Far Cry 3 (or, as a nickname that will surely catch on any day now, Far Cry: Brotherhood).

Looking at how FC5 is different from previous installments is not encouraging, as the changes to the actual gameplay are fairly minimal.

You get to choose your character, so I imagine the protagonist will (somehow) have even less personality than AJ. I know some people were really upset with the FC3 protagonist being a power-tripping bro, but being replaced with a cardboard cutout with a gun taped to it was not an improvement. Come to think of it, I wonder whether the fact that the villain isn't featured front and center, a-la Vaas and Pagan means they've just stuck "generic cult leader #5" personality with no modifications.

I do like the NPC helpers - this really is how things should have worked from the very start.

it sounds like they are trying to fix the villain issue buy making it basically the whole family. 1 controlling each era. the villain so far is basically a more psychopathic David Koresh with a bigger cult and a siblings. the cult is basically christian ISIS mixed with the branch davidians and prepper culture. the story isnt a linnair thing apperently, it works more like ghost recon wildlands where you just go to whichever area you want and do poo poo to unlock missions.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it sounds like they are trying to fix the villain issue buy making it basically the whole family. 1 controlling each era. the villain so far is basically a more psychopathic David Koresh with a bigger cult and a siblings. the cult is basically christian ISIS mixed with the branch davidians and prepper culture. the story isnt a linnair thing apperently, it works more like ghost recon wildlands where you just go to whichever area you want and do poo poo to unlock missions.

we're probably going to get better gunplay and guerilla warfare than GW:W which is kind of ironic

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I really wanted dinosaurs in this one but apparently there's no such luck

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

They're just a different type of dinosaur, they're ideological dinosaurs!

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The map editor for this is sounding pretty rad. Assets from Far Cry 5, 4, Primal, AC: Black Flag, Unity and Watch Dogs, and stuff from the Far Cry 5 DLC as it comes out. You can make single player, co-op and pvp maps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-09-everything-we-know-about-far-cry-5s-map-editor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tumble posted:

we're probably going to get better gunplay and guerilla warfare than GW:W which is kind of ironic

well yeah. i like GW:W alot but it needed "dynamic encounters" and poo poo bad. far cry has always been pretty good in that department. so yeah probaly. far cry has always been fun at least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Surprise Giraffe posted:

if you head down to the Bozeman area you can go in the Museum of the Rockies and see some killer dino skeletons

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Tumble posted:

we're probably going to get better gunplay and guerilla warfare than GW:W

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah. i like GW:W

Now are we talking about some Guild Wars game I don't know about, because I keep reading this "Ghost Wecon", ya elmer fudd sunsabitches

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ms Adequate posted:

if you head down to the Bozeman area you can go in the Museum of the Rockies and see some killer dino skeletons

Montana has hell creek right? T rex country. No idea why you wouldnt put that in

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Looking forward to this. I feel like Ubisoft could stand to be a bit more ambitious with this series, but I can't deny the gameplay is pretty satisfying and it's been long enough since we've had a proper FarCry that I'm itching to play it again even if we just get more of the same.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ubisoft has been doin pretty great lately and I really like the setting to this, so lookin forward to shooting prepper cultists.

That and I'm looking forward to more chuds crying when the cultists inevitably have some of their ugly beliefs.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I just hope FC6 lets me become a mutant animal man again because there still hasn't been a game like that since.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yo I know people aren't really saying too much because this doesn't look any different from the other Far Cry games but I gotta say this is the first one I'm buying since FC3, a game I wasn't all that impressed with. I'm one of those weird outliers who liked FC2 more than any other game in the series, FC5 seems to have done what I've wanted the series to do since it started pitching towards FC3's more action-based gameplay: Go completely loving bonkers. I wasn't really interested in the settings of 3 & 4 but I absolutely can't wait to shred some crazy cultists in a muscle car with a dog pal, this entry into the series looks the closest to a first person Saints Row that I've seen for a long time. Shed the pretense of all humility and just go batshit in America? Hell yeah.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The setting looks great so I'm super excited about this, and I've never played a Far Cry game so the gameplay should be fresh.

Of course, the last time I bought an Ubisoft game as my first experience in the series because the setting was cool I spent $60 on Assassin's Creed 3. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The story in the Farcry games is almost always terrible, though oftentimes so terrible it circles back around to being hilariously amazing, but the gameplay of 3 and 4 was an absolute joy. I dig the setting, the story is either going to be a flaming tire-fire or mediocre, but I expect actually just running around and shooting poo poo is gonna be a blast.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In Far Cry 2, I remember passing a checkpoint, ruining everyone in it, and just two minutes later on the way back having to fight the same waypoint again. That made me eventually quit the game, and I hope FC5 has none of that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

In Far Cry 2, I remember passing a checkpoint, ruining everyone in it, and just two minutes later on the way back having to fight the same waypoint again. That made me eventually quit the game, and I hope FC5 has none of that.

Yeah, they got rid of that real quick after 2. I like FC2 as well, for all it's half finished jankyness.

Respawning check points were kind of fun once you got your reputation up, "Oh gently caress, it's him, IT'S HIM!", every few minutes. Throw around some molotovs and watch 'em scatter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

The map editor for this is sounding pretty rad. Assets from Far Cry 5, 4, Primal, AC: Black Flag, Unity and Watch Dogs, and stuff from the Far Cry 5 DLC as it comes out. You can make single player, co-op and pvp maps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-09-everything-we-know-about-far-cry-5s-map-editor
I'm not that interested in this game in general, but if this turns out to be a good editor it could be a huge amount of fun.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah, they got rid of that real quick after 2. I like FC2 as well, for all it's half finished jankyness.

Respawning check points were kind of fun once you got your reputation up, "Oh gently caress, it's him, IT'S HIM!", every few minutes. Throw around some molotovs and watch 'em scatter.

Far Cry 2 fuckin owned, it got to a point where the last guy left would just be hiding somewhere babbling to himself in terror

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Not gonna lie, I'm super hyped for the adventures of me and Cheeseburger the grizzly bear

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

madeintaipei posted:

i like respawning checkpoints, they just respawned way too fast in FC2

like, if it was every 30 mins to hour or so of playtime and not "literally as soon as you leave" it would honestly be fine

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Also that weird thing where every companion character talked inexplicably fast

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Today I found out that one of your call-for-backup buddies is a bear named Cheeseburger.

Five stars.

GOTY.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Also that weird thing where every companion character talked inexplicably fast

They had places to be, plantations to defoliate, medical supplies to blow up.

I liked the injury treatment animations, even if they were prone to interruption by gunfire or resulted in deadly Africanised water.

The idle weapon inspections were neat too, on the whole the animators did a great job.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Speaking of Far Cry 2, it spawned one of the funniest and most disturbingly in-depth documentations of its weapons and their quirks that I've come across for a game. It's big, but it's well worth a read or scan through.

quote:

Idle animation; no matter how much you want to look like a tough guy, picking your nose with a loaded MAC-10 is still a bad idea.

quote:

Scorned by a world that doesn't understand it, the Ithaca takes its own life.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
blood dragon 2 when

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Far Cry is probably my one Triple A vice. It's usually kind of terrible, over produced, selling itself on graphics-not-gameplay, mainstream bullshit that I hate with every new incarnation of Assassin's Creed or Tom Clancy's whatever the gently caress.

This series hasn't even really been beaten like a dead horse either, the only thing I could really complain about is that maybe FC4 came a year too early from FC3 and other than graphics felt more like additional content than a full new game. However, despite my memory playing tricks on me and telling me that I played 3 way more than 4, my steam data says I put almost two hundred hours into 4 and not even a hundred into 3.

Anyway, these games are great. 2 would have been fantastic if it didn't have malaria and guards that stayed dead for a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not sold on the setting. It seems a bit generic and even a little too close to the previous one, but I thought the previous one was kind of boring too and it worked so I guess we'll see. I was a bit turned off by the video I watched of a guy using a plane to blow up some silos or something, that felt too GTA; and the vehicle sections of these games are typically the worse parts of the game; I'd even take the dream sequences over them...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3LwuD79A

Not gonna lie, this video has me somewhat concerned.
I definitely enjoy down time in my open world games and if it really just throws non-stop conflict and explosions in your face then that's going to probably get old pretty fast.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the audio recording from the jonestown suicide should be an easter egg

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Songbearer posted:

Speaking of Far Cry 2, it spawned one of the funniest and most disturbingly in-depth documentations of its weapons and their quirks that I've come across for a game. It's big, but it's well worth a read or scan through.

That article was written by The Dark Id for his LP, IIRC.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3LwuD79A

Not gonna lie, this video has me somewhat concerned.
I definitely enjoy down time in my open world games and if it really just throws non-stop conflict and explosions in your face then that's going to probably get old pretty fast.

Yeah, I'm more fan of more deadlier, and rarer enemies, with a lot more downtime and movement in the middle. Constant arcade onslaught is pretty off-putting for me. It's the same thing I quit FC2 over for. It's just constant, with no relief. And it becomes a slog. Can you drive to the shop without fighting and killing 20+ people on the way? Doesn't look like it, sadly.

ALso this dude should be a streamer. He has a normal voice with normal humor and is just pleasant to listen to, unlike most streamers.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bbcisdabomb posted:

That article was written by The Dark Id for his LP, IIRC.
IIRC TDI never made an FC LP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ElectricSheep posted:

blood dragon 2 when

we already got it, it was a Trials crossover and had a level that was an extended Hotline Miami 2 reference (complete with Power Glove version of Roller Mobster playing over it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

So far my only disappointment is there doesn't seem to be any bladed melee weapons, just blunt objects and fists. Stabbing people is a Far Cry staple :(