Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D34d_2oTKA8

I could imagine just what kind of tire tread those vehicles had.

e: ohshit, part 2 is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcK1G7dkhmI

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

Also use the horn whenever a dumbshit has blocked an intersection, even though you can see they can't move, because otherwise they won't learn.

gently caress that drone strike these pieces of poo poo

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D34d_2oTKA8

e: ohshit, part 2 is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcK1G7dkhmI

What the unholy gently caress is wrong with these meth-addled idiots?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Doctor Zaius posted:

The one where the person who cut him off may be legitimatley unaware that he's there?

Fair enough.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress that drone strike these pieces of poo poo

Also acceptable.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What the unholy gently caress is wrong with these meth-addled idiots?

They're not the brightest knives in the light socket. Or the sharpest light bulbs in the crayon box.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 11, 2018

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Powershift posted:

uhh it clearly says 'all seasons' and winter is a season so,
:goonsay:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Domestic Amuse posted:

They're not the brightest knives in the light socket. Or the sharpest light bulbs in the crayon box.

A couple of beers short of a happy meal.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A few cards short of a 6 pack, I tell ya whut

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It never fails to bring me joy when somebody, unsatisfied by my mere 63 in a 55, rage-passes me only to be in front of me in the line behind the RV going 48 a mile down the road.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Javid posted:

It never fails to bring me joy when somebody, unsatisfied by my mere 63 in a 55, rage-passes me only to be in front of me in the line behind the RV going 48 a mile down the road.

At least they're not behind you any more. That's a net positive for them, I'm sure

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wayfinder posted:

At least they're not behind you any more. That's a net positive for them, I'm sure

This but unironically. You have to live your life one pass at a time. You can't pass the RV until you've passed the guy behind him.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The "there's other traffic, might as well stay put" mentality is what causes lines of 10+ cars going 5 under the limit in the passing lane, all following one slow driver.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Geoj posted:

The "there's other traffic, might as well stay put" mentality is what causes lines of 10+ cars going 5 under the limit in the passing lane, all following one slow driver.

The alternative is 3 cars simultaneously trying to cut each other off to get into the center lane and illegally pass on the right, existing center-lane traffic be damned

The best is when they realize there's actually another slow car in the fast lane and I cruise by them as they all try to get back into the passing lane for the next opportunity.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Geoj posted:

It's always a legitimate block at the front, though. Two vehicles traveling at the same speed +/- 1/4mph. Not poo poo you can do until that clears when you're 10 cars back.

I once got so frustrated with this that, after 40 miles of two vehicles a quarter mile ahead pacing each other and idiots constantly passing back and forth and cutting me off, I passed the whole group on the right shoulder when the road straightened out and I could see it was clear. I must have hit close to 120. Tremendously stupid and dangerous (and I still regret it) but gently caress it felt so good to be out of that mess.

As soon as I did it, though, the pacing drivers must have finally realized there was a problem, moved out of the way and the clot broke up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did about 80 miles of this in Oregon last summer (between Bend and Burns).

Anyone that owns an RV can gently caress off forever.

You know they're way past retirement age because no one else can afford those freighters, so not only are they big and slow by their nature, they're being operated by some senile piece of poo poo already predisposed to meandering 20 mph under the limit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

I did about 80 miles of this in Oregon last summer (between Bend and Burns).

You know they're way past retirement age because no one else can afford those freighters, so not only are they big and slow by their nature, they're being operated by some senile piece of poo poo already predisposed to meandering 20 mph under the limit.

Try driving highway 1 through BC mid summer.

People get out of their honda CRV and jump into a 34 foot rental winnabego and take off into the mountains doing 65kph scaring the gently caress out of themselves around every corner, and then stopping in the middle of the highway 30 times to take 30 god drat pictures of 30 stupid loving goats and the cops sit in the rare passing lanes taxing anybody doing 120kph trying to get past the goober who's now doing 115 now that the road widened up to 2 lanes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We used to do the alcan every summer back in the 80's and I've wanted to do it at least once as an adult, but I can't imagine how painful it is these days as I assume the traffic density has only gone up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

We used to do the alcan every summer back in the 80's and I've wanted to do it at least once as an adult, but I can't imagine how painful it is these days as I assume the traffic density has only gone up.

They just finished the year round highway from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk, and i can guarantee you won't run into traffic on that.

I'd love to drive up to the Arctic Ocean one of these days.

e: only 3474kms! I probably live well north of most goons. In 3474kms, i could be in Tuktoyaktuk, Toronto or Chihuahua

Canada is really loving big

e2: 91 hours from Tuktoyaktuk to Miami, who's up for a rally? 8,207kms, 5100 miles.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 12, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was at the Costco waiting in line for gas, and a guy filling up a Westfalia van spilled about a gallon on the ground. Not sure what happened exactly, whether it fell out or he missed the hole, but he sprayed himself pretty good, and it looked like he got some in his eyes. And then he just pulled out and drove off after finishing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FogHelmut posted:

I was at the Costco waiting in line for gas, and a guy filling up a Westfalia van spilled about a gallon on the ground. Not sure what happened exactly, whether it fell out or he missed the hole, but he sprayed himself pretty good, and it looked like he got some in his eyes. And then he just pulled out and drove off after finishing.

God damnit. There's a joke in here somewhere but I'm too stupid to make it work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

God damnit. There's a joke in here somewhere but I'm too stupid to make it work.

Just like the guy with the Westfalia :smug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This but unironically. You have to live your life one pass at a time. You can't pass the RV until you've passed the guy behind him.
Yup, one of the most annoying things to deal with on a two-lane road is when you have a slow moving vehicle being followed by a couple of people who are in no particular hurry. Getting past the group becomes challenging if you aren't willing to just floor it when the opportunity presents itself.

The counterpart to this on a four lane road is when you have the left lane bandit pacing the truck forever, then they barely get far enough ahead for people to start slipping by on the right and one of those people decides to get over and start pacing themselves.

xzzy posted:

Hey now, not all of us RVers are slow fuckheads. I generally had the cruise set to 75 when I was driving the family bus, with my dad driving it we hit 90 a few times out in Arizona. A Cat motor revved out to 2500 RPM makes a lot of noise.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's me, I'd rather set my cruise control to 54 and relax than try to pass 10 cars and a semi on a 2-lane road

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A decade+ of driving highway 1 has taught me to pass everything that isn't moving at light speed when the opportunity presents.
A car doing 55 in the straight will like do 25 when the road gets twisty for the next 50 loving miles and won't know what a turn out is. Also, there's only 2 passing zones in the 50 miles.
Further, I've found that these tourists don't do a good job getting even slower traffic to use a turn out. I'm not advocating tailgating, but when you keep a huge, more than needed for safe operation, following distance that varies a lot, you don't send the signal "I want to pass you" like someone who is a bit more aggressive. Those turn outs only happen a few times, you to really need to get them.
You know, unless you want to spend an hour going 30mi.
So, yeah, I'll pass you doing 57 in the 55 and catch up the the rv doing 48. The RV will turn out and then I won't have to get by you when you decide every turn needs to be done at 15mph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

e2: 91 hours from Tuktoyaktuk to Miami, who's up for a rally? 8,207kms, 5100 miles.

I tried coming up with something sillier in north america, best I could do is Prudhoe bay to Key West and that's only 400 miles longer at 5492.

But then I guess you have to add the miles to actually get to Tuktoyaktuk or Prudhoe.

What's the closest car dealer to Tuktoyaktuk? Fly there, buy something, drive up, and you can finally start your rally!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

What's the closest car dealer to Tuktoyaktuk? Fly there, buy something, drive up, and you can finally start your rally!

I think the closest car dealer to Tuktoyaktuk is in Whitehorse, 1,371kms away, roughly 17% of the way to Miami, it might be advisable to do it the other way.

e: it's worth noting that Tuktoyaktuk is cut off from the more populated area of the Northwest Territories. To get to it you have to travel 1800kms through the length of the Yukon Territories which has 8 towns it, the largest of which at 25,085 pop which is 86.6 of the urban population in the Yukon. The closest Canadian city to Tuktoyaktuk over 100,000 people is 3360kms, or 47 hours to edmonton, which is nearly halfway to Miami.

It's a long rear end road through nothing to nowhere. Which is why it would have minimal traffic.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 12, 2018

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
When I have the time and money (and youth, preferably) I want to get about 30 audiobooks and drive from Key West to Fairbanks. I've gone from Tampa, Florida to San Fransisco solo so I know I enjoy that kind of trip. Beats the hell out of driving from Florida to Maine, that's for sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It's a long rear end road through nothing to nowhere. Which is why it would have minimal traffic.

I mean, our original concept for Trans Mountain to Tide Water 1 was to drive the Alcan highway, and I was starting to collect spares and figure out packing for the Civic. Then we switched to BC, which made it a lot more pleasant.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9C0pCt3JIY

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I mean, that guy's a stupid dick for doing a hit and run in the first place, but if people are smashing out my windows with mallets I'm driving off too.

There are like dozens of witnesses and it's hard to miss a car with that damage. Report it to the cops and move on. If he wants to add a hit and run to his record, that's on him.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 12, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

I mean, that guy's a stupid dick for doing a hit and run in the first place, but if people are smashing out my windows with mallets I'm driving off too.

pretty sure he was driving off well before then
I get what you're saying, but maybe you've got cause and effect reversed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TotalLossBrain posted:

pretty sure he was driving off well before then
I get what you're saying, but maybe you've got cause and effect reversed.

He was, but smashing out windows isn't going to make someone like that decide to stop. Just seems like a bad idea in general.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 12, 2018

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the guy with the hammer was really into annihilating those fuckin windows. as you likely guessed, it was narcotics that slew the Infiniti

https://www.local10.com/news/local/miami/man-appeared-to-be-high-on-narcotics-after-hit-and-run-crash-in-miami-police-say

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on what I know of Florida, that's typical weekend entertainment down there.

Another exiting round of random idiots filming poo poo with a phone while handyman bob tries to smash out windows out with a hammer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

He was, but smashing out windows isn't going to make someone like that decide to stop. Just seems like a bad idea in general.

Entertaining cluster gently caress all around, for sure

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

I love it even more when they don't pay attention to the giant line of traffic in front of me doing the same speed as me, so they get over and like 4 cars ahead of me block them out from merging. Teamwork!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Florida man surrounded and attacked by Florida men

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I love it even more when they don't pay attention to the giant line of traffic in front of me doing the same speed as me, so they get over and like 4 cars ahead of me block them out from merging. Teamwork!

Saw a good example of "dude wanting to go fast, not paying attention" on the highway just now. Dude's in fast lane on I-35 already but wants to go faster than the little 4-door coupe ahead of him. So he signals (good on him), pulls out halfway into the other lane and then somehow only then notices the other two lanes are blocked by freight semis before moving back into the fast lane.

Like, how the gently caress do you miss a loving 18-wheeler? How tunnelvisioned do you have to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno but I see the "pull halfway out and then back in when you realize the other lanes are blocked" move done so often, it might as well be the free space on Road Rage Bingo,