Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Christ, is that really Ernest Cline? It must be, my fists are burning with homicidal rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Christ, is that really Ernest Cline? It must be, my fists are burning with homicidal rage.

That's not just Ernest Cline, that's him and GRRM bombing around in one of the two DMC DeLoreans that Cline owns.

https://twitter.com/erniecline/status/942610075008602114

At least when Glenn Beck bought a DeLorean to be a hipster rear end in a top hat he had the decency to immediately total it by rolling it over a concrete highway median in a cocaine-fueled haze. I can at least respect that...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 12, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Western civilization was a mistake.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My wife just gave me the drag name Connie Lingas

So I will go with that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My wife just gave me the drag name Connie Lingas

So I will go with that.

Strangest way to brag about having sex I've seen today.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could go for some connie lingas right about now

its been a while

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Whenever I watched The Newsroom, I always thought the name "Don Keefer" was some kind of sex joke I just wasn't getting. How close was I?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like Sorkin's attempt to be clever by punning on Don Quixote, but I have no idea how apt that comparison might be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Sounds like Sorkin's attempt to be clever by punning on Don Quixote, but I have no idea how apt that comparison might be.

Well, the Newsroom tried its damndest to be one giant on the nose Don Quixote reference, so... yes? Also at one point Don willingly shoulder checks a locked door in righteous furor. That's kinda like Don Quixote tilting at windmills, right?

The Newsroom was a great show, that was also an amazingly terrible show at the same time :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the show handled the Dorne problem very elegantly. Just kill everyone off and drop the entire region and it's influence from the story.

That is the solution to the whole series.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still believe there will be something called "The Winds of Winter" poo poo out by the publisher just in time for the final season in a year. It will be 75% complete without a real ending, and considering that the first 33% will be stuff that was cut from ADOD, it will effectively be 50% of a new book. That's it though, there will be nothing after that.

On the other hand, I :toxx: that GURM will not release TWOW in his lifetime.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
With all the preview chapters and poo poo he's released online and at cons and stuff, how many pages of a hypothetical book (that will almost certainly never actually be finished) has he written?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

cis autodrag posted:

Strangest way to brag about having sex I've seen today.

Ha! That would have been great had i gotten laid yesterday. As it is we were discussing this thread instead and going over the great drag names .

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nine-gear crow posted:

That's not just Ernest Cline, that's him and GRRM bombing around in one of the two DMC DeLoreans that Cline owns.

https://twitter.com/erniecline/status/942610075008602114

At least when Glenn Beck bought a DeLorean to be a hipster rear end in a top hat he had the decency to immediately total it by rolling it over a concrete highway median in a cocaine-fueled haze. I can at least respect that...

I hope he gets nailed for impersonating an offices for the blue and red lights.

Then I hope Ready Player One is purged from human memory.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

With all the preview chapters and poo poo he's released online and at cons and stuff, how many pages of a hypothetical book (that will almost certainly never actually be finished) has he written?

I thought all the preview chapters he's released were just ones that were cut from Dance or Feast.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't long after that that GRRM publicly said "Yes, I've told D&D all the big plot points and how I picture things ending," with the stated reason at the time of "in case I get hit by a truck and can't write the last two books" actually being a cover for "so they can finish it on their own."

This has been public knowledge since S1 or S2 came out. D&D (and others) mentioned that the showrunners knew the 'ending' for the series.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He told Sean Bean that Jon was Tywin's son too.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought all the preview chapters he's released were just ones that were cut from Dance or Feast.

Absolutely not! The Arya chapter where the child Stark willingly accepts sexual assault so that she might murder someone was written even before AFFC (if GM is to be believed). He released it after HBO aired the Arya episode where she makes the kill. Probably in a fit of pique as there wasn't enough rapiness in the adaptation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The scene in the show was much dumber. They hammed up how bad he was so that there was no ambiguity if it was right that she kill him. Like, obviously meryn trant was a bad guy for beating sansa but in the show he's also explicitly an oafish pedophile saying "younger!" down a list of increasing young girls - merely beating a child a few seasons ago is not enough for the average tv viewer's peabrain. In comparison, seducing and cutting the throat of raff the sweetling in that chapter, months/years after he killed lommy because he didn't want to carry him, was pretty uncomfortable and makes the reader question whether arya's path is the right one which is 10x more interesting than what the show did.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Woodpile posted:

Absolutely not! The Arya chapter where the child Stark willingly accepts sexual assault so that she might murder someone was written even before AFFC (if GM is to be believed). He released it after HBO aired the Arya episode where she makes the kill. Probably in a fit of pique as there wasn't enough rapiness in the adaptation.

That particular chapter was released just before the episode aired where she makes the kill. He clearly wanted credit for that scene.

I just also realized that they cut that chapter up into two parts. He released the chapter just before the first episode of whatever season aired where she and The Hound get into that bar brawl and she kills Raff there, even making him repeat Lomy's last words before stabbing him in the throat. The killing in Bravos got transposed to Trant and gently caress why do I have this info in my head.

Max fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 12, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

What the fucks a Lomy?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TK-42-1 posted:

What the fucks a Lomy?

The best line from the best character.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Blind Sally posted:

lmfao maybe he will ghostwrite grrms next book

Snarf, a maiden of ten and two sat down to eat one of the meals from Princess Mononoke

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I really wonder if the RP1 movie is gonna do bad, word of mouth is killing it in the community that should be it's core and idk if the general public is going to respond to BTTF, Iron Giant and whatever else a normal non broke brained person would have noticed in the trailers. Seems like it's laser focused on 30-something losers and I haven't heard a single one of them have a good word for the book or movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really wonder if the RP1 movie is gonna do bad, word of mouth is killing it in the community that should be it's core and idk if the general public is going to respond to BTTF, Iron Giant and whatever else a normal non broke brained person would have noticed in the trailers. Seems like it's laser focused on 30-something losers and I haven't heard a single one of them have a good word for the book or movie.

A friend and I are planning to go see it at some point and just loudly mock the poo poo out of it, but gently caress me if I'm paying to see it. I'm just gonna buy a ticket to Black Panther instead because BP was a loving sweetass movie.

But yeah, it's not getting good reviews from even the purpose-built outlets that should be praising it, like io9: Review: Ready Player One Is an Orgy of Nostalgia in All the Wrong Ways.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oh so people have seen it now? Which means this tweet probably wasnt just a joke:

https://twitter.com/emilyyoshida/status/973077687651721216?s=21

Woof

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh so people have seen it now? Which means this tweet probably wasnt just a joke:

https://twitter.com/emilyyoshida/status/973077687651721216?s=21

Woof

Yeah, they did a "surprise" screening (which they hyped the poo poo out of for a solid week) at SXSW last night or something, and even among a laboratory grown perfect possible audience for it, the reception was decidedly "...Eh. It's a movie with stuff I remember from the 80s in it."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao describing the studios cynically deploying all their licenses in order to get oo's and aah's from an audience as a VG player using all the pay-to-win poo poo in a game rather than playing it is way too astute of a take.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't read the book, just saw the movie trailer. Was the book a rip-off of Snow Crash or is that just my unfair impression from the trailer?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A loving parody.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The one with Tyrion seeing the ironborn ships show up in Mereen might've been new? If not then yes.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Isn't the relationship between the main character and his love interest extremely stalker-y and creepy as hell? As in he just pursues her until she finally gives in and likes him? Should call it Ready PUA One if so.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

A loving parody.

A parody of a satire? Is it just jokes about jokes all the way down?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Lycus posted:

I didn't read the book, just saw the movie trailer. Was the book a rip-off of Snow Crash or is that just my unfair impression from the trailer?

From what I gather it’s Snow Crash without anything that makes Snow Crash remotely good.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

From what I gather it’s Snow Crash without anything that makes Snow Crash remotely good.

Not a bad description actually. To be fair, I think its a young adult novel, so it maybe doesn't deserve the same amount of .. i dunno criticism a real book would have.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

kcroy posted:

Not a bad description actually. To be fair, I think its a young adult novel, so it maybe doesn't deserve the same amount of .. i dunno criticism a real book would have.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be for grownups. Isn't there like this huge rear end paragraph in there on how masturbation makes you a genius

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Down With People posted:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be for grownups. Isn't there like this huge rear end paragraph in there on how masturbation makes you a genius

I don't remember that part. What struck me as odd - this seems like a book designed for 35-45 year olds to jerk off to about their childhood. I can't imagine why anyone younger than that would find it very interesting. I mean look - I geeked out on the Tomb of Horrors part, because I played that loving (insanely hard) module when I was younger. I played pacman in an actual video arcade. I've had to line up my quarters to reserve my "next play". I mean if you are 30 or younger - I don't see it hitting you as nostalgia. It's also like "cyberspace 101" poo poo. If that book had come out in 1995, It would have been way more rad for sure. The set up is interesting enough, but its just not that great of a book unless you are fapping away to the War Games references.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

kcroy posted:

Young adults don't remember any of the poo poo RP1 is deeply obsessed with

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corrode posted:

Young adults don't remember any of the poo poo RP1 is deeply obsessed with

I dunno man, I know a bunch of higschool kids who are super into it. Maybe its like watching a 1920's indiana jones solve puzzles for them. poo poo i dunno.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Also, we should be perhaps more critical of YA, because it's intended to keep children reading and eventually transition to regular fiction and non-fiction. It should be actually good and not just where lazy writers go because they can't hack it in the regular SF market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
RP1 is a book for adults written by a fat baby boy with a grown man's beard .