Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So what's the word on item properties and traits one should go for? Attack speed always, crit chance for fast weapons and classes with attack speed boosts? Swift Slaying for crit builds, Off-balance/Opportunist for everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, since I'm not sure the game still gives the Khazalid primer on the loading screen, Bardin's nicknames for everyone mean 'Tough Human' for Kruber, 'Grim Human' for Saltzpyre, 'Fire Queen' for Sienna, and 'Dumb Elf' for elf.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Is there a comprehensive guide to some of these weapon traits like versatile? I dont remember any of this stuff from vermintide 1

and bosses feel really difficult in this game. Maybe it's just the frequency of fighting them in cramped corridors and narrow spaces.

or i suck?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I'll grant that was a particular showcase area to demonstrate the footman's abliity to solo carry with 200IQ play, but its not like the game isn't a frenzied run from chokepoint to chokepoint and strong melee control falls off, ever. In my view there aren't really any good options in the wide open, because you're in the wide open and with this game's specials that's a terrible thing.

If nothing else it comes into its own on Legendary, because no way are you gonna get every elite before it closes with you.

This is the truth. If the level isn’t made out of choke points then you find them and move to them. getting surrounded when you have any way to avoid it is a mistake, and ranged weapons alone do not keep you from getting surrounded with the number of enemies you have to contend with. Funneling enemies and controlling them with melee is the great equalizer. I have yet to see anything in the new game that changes that fact, although it’s possible something or other fundamentally changes on legend that suddenly makes this not the best strategy anymore

but legend sounds like a loving miserable experience so I don’t much care as long as this still works on champion

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Started playing last night & the game owns. Seems a lot tougher than Left 4 Dead and has way more going on outside the fights. Began with the elf since regeneration seemed like a good starter ability (and it let me heal other people sometimes), but after paying more attention to the regen rate it seems weak. Gonna try the dorf tonight since all three of his classes seem strong, and I wanna smash some rats. :black101:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

against the grain seems like the new horn of magnus, right down to the 'we're taking both grimoires even if the party is loving dying, get bent' aspect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

against the grain seems like the new horn of magnus, right down to the 'we're taking both grimoires even if the party is loving dying, get bent' aspect

"get second grim after boss"

*one person opens the barn door and another person gets the grim, immediately gets hookratted too*

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The nerfing of the boss killer classes has killed the urge for me to play any boss levels. Not because how slow you kill the boss, just that the boss fights are awful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

only tangentially related but you can grab the second tome through the bottom of the roof it’s on, you don’t need to do the whole rigamarole of climbing up through the barn and jumping over to it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Personally I think the Screaming Bell is the easiest level by a fair margin. It's a shorter one, no real tricks and one of the bosses is a guaranteed Rat Ogre. If you're doing it with bots to farm exp you can get one quick grimoire and tome (avoid the jumping puzzle ones) and there are tons of crates in the Marktplatz that usually have dice in them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

myDad posted:

Started playing last night & the game owns. Seems a lot tougher than Left 4 Dead and has way more going on outside the fights. Began with the elf since regeneration seemed like a good starter ability (and it let me heal other people sometimes), but after paying more attention to the regen rate it seems weak. Gonna try the dorf tonight since all three of his classes seem strong, and I wanna smash some rats. :black101:

I wouldn't say the Dwarf has three good classes, but he for sure has two good classes and a really loving fun one.

That's not to say Slayer is bad, but you pretty much completely sacrifice the ability to reach out and touch Specials Who Need To Die Right Now for the ability to more readily slap around stormvermin and bosses. Honestly if the slayer leap knocked around and stunned specials/bosses like Kruber's charge did, I would say that slayer is in a much better place.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

As cool as it would be to play a vampire in Vermintide it just isn’t possible because they’re setup like nigh killable monster old school Draculas. Even the lowest Vampire can like decimate entire battle regimentes with relative ease. If they made one playable they’d have to pretty much remove all lore ties to them to have them fit on the same power scale as the other heros

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

myDad posted:

Bardin is the poo poo.

What this game needs is Greenskins.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As cool as it would be to play a vampire in Vermintide it just isn’t possible because they’re setup like nigh killable monster old school Draculas. Even the lowest Vampire can like decimate entire battle regimentes with relative ease.

Replace all slaverats with Stormvermin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

make it like blood bowl where a third of the time you try and do something with them you have to down a teammate instead

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just played through act one with randos. Biletrolls seem to shut down groups the hardest. Especially in narrow areas.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

Bardin is the poo poo.

What this game needs is Greenskins.

I was just thinking yesterday night how that would be pretty amazing to add Greenskins to the game. That or have them join in on the Skaven and Nurgle fun for the inevitable Vermintide III.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

Also, since I'm not sure the game still gives the Khazalid primer on the loading screen, Bardin's nicknames for everyone mean 'Tough Human' for Kruber, 'Grim Human' for Saltzpyre, 'Fire Queen' for Sienna, and 'Dumb Elf' for elf.

strictly speaking "wutelgi" is just the khazalid word for "wood elf" but colloquially it's really conspicuous that bardin's nicknames all have a complementary artistic flourish to them EXCEPT kerillian's, which isn't derogatory or anything but kinda carries the implication is that he felt kerillian wasn't worth naming.

(she isn't)

Willie Tomg posted:

I'll grant that was a particular showcase area to demonstrate the footman's abliity to solo carry with 200IQ play, but its not like the game isn't a frenzied run from chokepoint to chokepoint and strong melee control falls off, ever. In my view there aren't really any good options in the wide open, because you're in the wide open and with this game's specials that's a terrible thing.

If nothing else it comes into its own on Legendary, because no way are you gonna get every elite before it closes with you.

the game's dedicated controllers (foot knight krubez and iron breaker bardin) are way, way, way more mobile than they were in VT1 and even on champion i've been able to cover two sides pretty easily so long as i'm aware of where the enemies are. kruber is particularly vicious at this because at level 25, IN ADDITION to knocking everyone down he can have free blocking for 10 seconds. which, spoiler alert, doing flat nothing the cooldown on his charge is like ~15 seconds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there any way to still get commendant chests at level cap or is that it? Basically champion or bust for 300 power chests I guess?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Is there any way to still get commendant chests at level cap or is that it? Basically champion or bust for 300 power chests I guess?

Once you hit 30, your level bar continues to refill and give you a new commendation chest every time you fill it. So essentially you're leveling from 29-30 repeatedly forever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man how did i not use the 2h axe in v1, did they change it? it's like a 1h axe with armor piercing and actually good crowd control

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It wasn't particularly good for a while but the big Weapon Rebalance was kind to it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rascyc posted:

You can level up other characters for commendant chests.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Digirat posted:

I’d be happier if they didn’t show up at all because goofy rat bros are cool and awesome while muscle men are boring as poo poo

nah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cowcaster posted:

used to be that every single shot in the burst benefitted from the bounty hunter's "next shot is a guaranteed crit" bonus, so that was pretty, uh, broken.

now they don't though so yeah it's not great.

Does the triple shot of the volley crossbow do that too or do all three bolts crit?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact on Dwarf Language. Bardin's nickname for Kruber Azumgi literally means "War Axe Human". Now Kruber does not use a war axe, but the reason for the nickname is because Dwarfs don't use swords and don't actually have a name for them in their language. So his nickname is him trying to get as close as he can to calling Kruber a Swordsman in his language.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:haw:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
A very good idea for a new character I think: a Bretonnian wizard woman. You get a Bretonnian, but it's more different and interesting than a Knight (who'd just be some kind of Kruber with a bit of Slayer Bardin). She's not just a second Sienna either because they use different magic so you could have like lightning and wind and stuff.

I also think the Chaos slave rats (skinny men) should have been Nurgling daemons instead. They'd be objectively more visually interesting, they'd be relatively visually superior because they'd stand out better from Chaos clan rats (bigger men), and they'd solve the question of where all these dudes are coming from anyway that you don't ask with Skaven because they're rats.

I'm only like 65% of a WHF flavor text geek but I feel confident there are no insurmountable issues with those concepts!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
huntsman kruber needs a special rework, but bizarrely he might actually be better at archery then the elf

he gets, as far as I can tell, the same weapon as her longbow, so you can headshot specials and also penetrate and kill a few rats in one shot. And his talents give ammo back on headshots, with a weapon trait also doing the same if you need leeway. He won't melt people with a cold stare of his single eye like bounty hunter and isn't aggressively reliable as he is as SIR KRUBER, but he might be that one character who can just keep the ranged weapon equip the whole run.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You could also do a Bret where it's the same woman, just depending on if she was found out pretending to be a knight or not. Have Questing Knight be like Slayer Bardin, have a Faceless (Robin Hood guys) class for ranged, or a Grail Pilgrim for crazy person.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

huntsman kruber needs a special rework, but bizarrely he might actually be better at archery then the elf

he gets, as far as I can tell, the same weapon as her longbow, so you can headshot specials and also penetrate and kill a few rats in one shot. And his talents give ammo back on headshots, with a weapon trait also doing the same if you need leeway. He won't melt people with a cold stare of his single eye like bounty hunter and isn't aggressively reliable as he is as SIR KRUBER, but he might be that one character who can just keep the ranged weapon equip the whole run.

No, his longbow is actually quite different than elf’s. Its base accuracy is lower, it slows you down substantially more when you shoot, aiming takes way longer and actually stops you dead if you aim all the way, and it gets less accurate when aimed instead of more (or maybe it just stays the same and the crosshairs widen equal to how much the screen zooms in)

In return the thing hits like a freight train

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really the real reason I want a Questing Knight some day is just that their tabletop models ruled.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

A very good idea for a new character I think: a Bretonnian wizard woman. You get a Bretonnian, but it's more different and interesting than a Knight (who'd just be some kind of Kruber with a bit of Slayer Bardin). She's not just a second Sienna either because they use different magic so you could have like lightning and wind and stuff.

Like a Grail Damsel? That would be cool. The three sub classes could be Prophetess, Priestess and Enchantress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it does not hit substantially harder for it to be relevant beyond bosses, though. kerillian's longbow can still one shot most elite units on its strong attack (presuming suitably high hero power) and is otherwise better than kruber's longbow in every measurable way.

combine the fact that waystalker's active is orders of magnitude better than the huntsman's and the longbow is simply not a persuasive argument to use the lumberjack.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Digirat posted:

No, his longbow is actually quite different than elf’s. Its base accuracy is lower, it slows you down substantially more when you shoot, aiming takes way longer and actually stops you dead if you aim all the way, and it gets less accurate when aimed instead of more (or maybe it just stays the same and the crosshairs widen equal to how much the screen zooms in)

In return the thing hits like a freight train

the Kruber longbow accuracy is actually great if you just hold it up to the point before you would zoom. It's also pretty accurate just with just quick shots against hordes. It seems to penetrate armor at the pull before zoom as well. Why they would ever make a weapon that becomes less accurate on full zoom is beyond me though, you'd think they'd realize that no one would ever use the full zoom by doing that right? The biggest problem with Huntsman is his ult is pretty poo poo now, and the waystalker ult is still amazing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Like a Grail Damsel? That would be cool. The three sub classes could be Prophetess, Priestess and Enchantress.

could have that too but plenty of bretonnian women pretend to be male so they can get in on the Knightly Quest Action

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i'm horny for victor, that is all

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skeletome posted:

i'm horny for victor, that is all

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

UberJew posted:

could have that too but plenty of bretonnian women pretend to be male so they can get in on the Knightly Quest Action

Wight King: "NO BRETONNIAN MAN CAN DEFEAT ME"

Grail Knight: "So about that..."