Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe the project became too much and they wanted a way out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man i really wanted to replace kris kristofferson and rawls from the wire with some nasally modder

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The upside is that I'm 100% sure someone's going to come out with an unofficial installer that will replace the modded VA with the original VA, this is just a way for the project to continue with everything legally in the clear.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Randaconda posted:

How is this is a surprise

It is always and forever a surprise on these things when the original rights holders have to defend them. Fans. Fans never change.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Can’t wait to enjoy the janky writing without the sheen of professional VA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If they extract the original files then it can't possibly be illegal. This is just some c&d corporate bullshit

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

If they extract the original files then it can't possibly be illegal. This is just some c&d corporate bullshit

It's not a question if it would be illegal. There's no criminal act involved.

The question is if it's transformative enough to be fair use, and if the modding team can afford to fight that argument in court as long as Bethesda cares to stretch it out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's not transformative because they aren't redistributing the files at all. Bethesda are just crushing this illegally because they have money and are bitches

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

It's not transformative because they aren't redistributing the files at all. Bethesda are just crushing this illegally because they have money and are bitches

That's not what transformative means in this context. Also, if it's not transformative, that makes Bethesda's position stronger, because if the use isn't in some way transformative, it has a harder time qualifying as fair use.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I always kinda wondered why Beth doesn't encourage modders who are trying to recreate their old games in their new engine, because you'd think it'd be a goldmine to just buy it cheap when they finish and release it. Maybe the bug testing would be even more nightmarish than usual? Too big a game to risk some guy sneaking his Lolita waifu mod in without catching it? Just a generic 'it would dilute the brand' business decision?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Probably just that last bit, they don't want people touching their poo poo (especially when they have little or no control over it) because they have millions of dollars riding on it.

They realize to a certain extent modding can help the longevity of their product but after a certain degree it creates too much risk. It's much easier to distance themselves from whatever guns or swords or dicks or whatever people are inserting into the game than it is when people are ripping off game assets wholesale.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, how can they sell us an updated release of fallout 3 with hi-res textures for $60 if it has to compete with a free version remade in fallout 4's engine?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I always kinda wondered why Beth doesn't encourage modders who are trying to recreate their old games in their new engine, because you'd think it'd be a goldmine to just buy it cheap when they finish and release it. Maybe the bug testing would be even more nightmarish than usual? Too big a game to risk some guy sneaking his Lolita waifu mod in without catching it? Just a generic 'it would dilute the brand' business decision?

Too high a chance of creating a precedent that they're not defending their intellectual property thus their rights to it are not valid. Thank Disney for this current state of affairs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Keeshhound posted:

Also, how can they sell us an updated release of fallout 3 with hi-res textures for $60 if it has to compete with a free version remade in fallout 4's engine?

When have they ever actually done this? Yeah people joke about them releasing Skyrim a hundred times or whatever but there isn't an updated engine for them to have ported Skyrim too.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bad news for anyone anticipating the Fallout 3-> 4 conversion mod:

According to their facebook page they've decided to halt the mod indefinitely. Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

lol "the phenomenal Eric Todd Dellums"

loving Three Dog is is the guy they decided was above all others

the guy that everyone kills just to get the neutral radio lady in between the good music

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Internet Kraken posted:

When have they ever actually done this? Yeah people joke about them releasing Skyrim a hundred times or whatever but there isn't an updated engine for them to have ported Skyrim too.

It was really just a Skyrim joke in the first place.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Haven't they already released an 'enhanced' version of Skyrim, even though they had nothing to really port it to? It was nice of them to release it for free to everyone who already owned the game plus DLC. From what I recall it was just the exact same game but with some sharper graphics to take advantage of the next generation of consoles. I don't think they changed anything else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

This is what Valve did with Black Mesa. They allowed the game's release for free, then got permission to release an updated version for purchase on Steam. I'd imagine at least some kickbacks went to Valve since it's using their copyright, but they saw what the development team was doing and gave a thumbs-up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I figure Bethesda is probably considering an HD version of Fallout 3, and don't want to be competing with a mod. Of course if that were the case they wouldn't have said boo about the New Vegas one

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

To get away from stupid mod news to stupid Fallout news, somebody at work today tried to convince me that Fallout 3 has more plot choices than New Vegas.

Because, your choices in New Vegas are between "good and bad", and your choices in 3 are ?? and ??.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well that's just absurd

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

In the event that I suffer brain damage or an acute need for self-flagellation, is replaying Fallout 3 in the NV engine the absolute best way to do it?

As in, better than the standard FO3 engine with all the community mods / fixes etc. Or can you also mod the FO3 universe in the FNV engine in ToTW?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LostCosmonaut posted:

To get away from stupid mod news to stupid Fallout news, somebody at work today tried to convince me that Fallout 3 has more plot choices than New Vegas.

Because, your choices in New Vegas are between "good and bad", and your choices in 3 are ?? and ??.

Remind them that part of Fallout 3's endgame is deciding whether or not making the water purifier poison everyone, including yourself, is a Good Idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

In the event that I suffer brain damage or an acute need for self-flagellation, is replaying Fallout 3 in the NV engine the absolute best way to do it?

As in, better than the standard FO3 engine with all the community mods / fixes etc. Or can you also mod the FO3 universe in the FNV engine in ToTW?

TTW gets you all the benefits New Vegas added like Hardcore mode, expanded crafting, and weapon rebalancing. You're still having to play Fallout 3 instead of New Vegas, but you'll enjoy it more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Something I remember about Fallout 3's endgame is that I couldn't figure out the code to the Purifier because I believe the game doesn't actually tell you it. You're expected to remember the bible verse and figure out that its inscription or whatever is the code.

I had to go ask people online what the code was and then everyone called me stupid :saddowns:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well that's just absurd

More then half those unmarked quests are repeatable quests also. Even more are super banal talk to a guy a few feet away type things.

I've only done it once, but it's totally possible to 100% do every quest in F3, plus have 60-80% of the map explored within 20 hours of gameplay. Including at least the Pitt/Anchorage.

I skipped Point Lookout because by the time I got there the ghouls took a billion rounds, and I skipped Mothership Zeta because lol. But yeah, F3 is actually a very tiny contained little experience you can do over a weekend if you'd like.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I remember about Fallout 3's endgame is that I couldn't figure out the code to the Purifier because I believe the game doesn't actually tell you it. You're expected to remember the bible verse and figure out that its inscription or whatever is the code.

I had to go ask people online what the code was and then everyone called me stupid :saddowns:

pretty sure you get a holotape that mentions the bible verse and poo poo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rookersh posted:

More then half those unmarked quests are repeatable quests also. Even more are super banal talk to a guy a few feet away type things.

I've only done it once, but it's totally possible to 100% do every quest in F3, plus have 60-80% of the map explored within 20 hours of gameplay. Including at least the Pitt/Anchorage.

I skipped Point Lookout because by the time I got there the ghouls took a billion rounds, and I skipped Mothership Zeta because lol. But yeah, F3 is actually a very tiny contained little experience you can do over a weekend if you'd like.

It is arguable that many of the unmarked Fallout 3 quests are more in depth than some marked New Vegas quests, but on the other hand New Vegas has more of both and most marked quests in New Vegas are just as or are far more in depth than the vast majority of quests in 3.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

TTW gets you all the benefits New Vegas added like Hardcore mode, expanded crafting, and weapon rebalancing. You're still having to play Fallout 3 instead of New Vegas, but you'll enjoy it more.

Yes but as I understand it, FO3 has numerous quality-of-life mods and improvements that help to make it's game engine slightly less terrible.

I guess my question was more, is TTW (FO3 in FNV) the better overall experience in FO3 than FO3-default is with said QOL mods?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's also the Hidden Third Way not mentioned, which is to just use no VA and work on an extractor for voice files later. You've been able to add voiceless dialogue into bethesda's engine since halfway into Oblivion's life. Unless it was made more convenient for Fallout 3 it's literally as simple as pointing the voice file path to a 5 minute long audio file with no audio.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Haven't they already released an 'enhanced' version of Skyrim, even though they had nothing to really port it to? It was nice of them to release it for free to everyone who already owned the game plus DLC. From what I recall it was just the exact same game but with some sharper graphics to take advantage of the next generation of consoles. I don't think they changed anything else.

They also made some core engine changes that make it less likely to explode violently and corrupt all your saves. After all a large part of the reason for the "enhanced" version was because Sony went "no, gently caress you, PS4 is going way too well for you to release another game that literally does-not-work on our consoles. Fix it and we'll talk."

Nintendo seemed to have not done that same diligence and...well....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes but as I understand it, FO3 has numerous quality-of-life mods and improvements that help to make it's game engine slightly less terrible.

I guess my question was more, is TTW (FO3 in FNV) the better overall experience in FO3 than FO3-default is with said QOL mods?

Are you talking bug fixes or feature additions? Any Fallout 3 mod that does bug fixes should work. For just adding features, New Vegas and its mods should cover that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you talking bug fixes or feature additions? Any Fallout 3 mod that does bug fixes should work. For just adding features, New Vegas and its mods should cover that.

I was talking bug fixes yeah. Okay, good to know, thanks for your help. So something like TTW-FO3+bug fix mods and FNV+Project Nevada and the weapons extended mod should make for a 'pretty good' Fallout 3 experience.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bethesda is apparently advising that they do not permit assets to be transferred between games, and that copying files from FO3 to a modded FO4 violates their copyright even without intent to redistribute. Which is pretty loving dodgy.

Even dodgier is the idea that even if we accept that, distributing a script to do so is also a violation on and of itself, rather than the act of running the script.

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but no mod team is going to go to court over it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

That's not what transformative means in this context. Also, if it's not transformative, that makes Bethesda's position stronger, because if the use isn't in some way transformative, it has a harder time qualifying as fair use.

you can't violate copyright law if you don't distribute copyrighted files and give someone a tool to copy their own, that they already have. you don't even have to consider fair use at that point.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The best choice is TTW and then use compatible NV mods to further increase QOL and the the general experience. Project Nevada can work with TTW for example.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Liquid Communism posted:

It's not a question if it would be illegal. There's no criminal act involved.

Non-criminal acts forbidden by law (such as copyright infringement that does not rise to the level contemplated by 17 USC 506) are still illegal.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

This is what Valve did with Black Mesa. They allowed the game's release for free, then got permission to release an updated version for purchase on Steam. I'd imagine at least some kickbacks went to Valve since it's using their copyright, but they saw what the development team was doing and gave a thumbs-up.

Yes but age wise Black Mesa is comparable to someone modding Daggerfall into the Morrowind engine.

Which I think would be a cooler mod. Or instead of making FO3. Make FO2 or 1 in the FO4 engine.

Keeshhound posted:

Remind them that part of Fallout 3's endgame is deciding whether or not making the water purifier poison everyone, including yourself, is a Good Idea.

But you're a master race vault dweller of pure genes so it won't harm you.

Katt fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 13, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Except you aren't a vault dweller in fallout 3. How did you miss the one single plot twist in the game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Except you aren't a vault dweller in fallout 3. How did you miss the one single plot twist in the game.

Personally I forgot.

I drank of the new pure water as I gloated over a dying man who's flawed genes were now killing him for being weak.

Then I was like "ouch! it burns!!" Then I remembered the whole dad-coming-to-the-vault-with-a-baby thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Meeting adjourned.

https://i.imgur.com/Ko7gxXi.mp4