Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of characters, I'm quite fond of the portrayal of Hans. I was sure he would be the obvious antagonist, the stuck up noble counterpart to our everyman hero. Yet he actually proves to be a good friend - if you get the chance to reach the social status where it is permissible to mingle with nobility. The game humanizes him, yet at the same time it always keeps in mind the feudal duality of his character - no matter how nice he may eventually end up in relationship to you, the concerns of the peasantry about his playboy lifestyle and wastrel ways remain in the center of his character dynamic, you get a distinct impression that by allowing yourself to join his circle, you are basically becoming a class traitor to the peasantry from which you came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Hans is actually pretty cool once you realize he's like 15

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I hit the apparently common bug with turning in questions and answers on the ps4 (cutscene with radzig not firing). I guess I'll just wait for 1.3, can any pc players confirm that this fixes it? I finished pestilence which is apparently the source of the bug then dicked about for ages and I would really rather not lose like 5 hours playtime.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ThomasPaine posted:

So I hit the apparently common bug with turning in questions and answers on the ps4 (cutscene with radzig not firing). I guess I'll just wait for 1.3, can any pc players confirm that this fixes it? I finished pestilence which is apparently the source of the bug then dicked about for ages and I would really rather not lose like 5 hours playtime.

I got lucky on PC and the first time I turned the quest in, both cutscenes fired off, but have never been able to recreate that, since. If I savescum and do everything exactly the same: Radzig just walks off and the quest never completes.

So, maybe just keep trying over and over? :downs:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, good trick:

You need fifteen lockpicking to open merchant chests

A padfoot potion can take you from 10 to 15 though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Major Isoor posted:

Pretty sure I pickpocketed Shadowplay III off Kunesh, the drunk Skalitz refugee, but that was quite a while ago.

I confirmed this, thanks

edit: also, stuffing is still good, just not as good. It took a suit of stealth gear I'd put together (black brigandine stuff) on a new character from 35 noise to 10 noise.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 13, 2018

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I had this problem on pc and the patch fixed it for me.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah i was waiting for 1.3 for that specific reason and its fixed now. Unfortunately it doesnt actually "fix" or trigger the cutscene, but rather just moves to the next quest objective. I guess I can just look up the cutscene on youtube.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lmao I snuck up behind a Cuman guard and started the knocking out animation. As I leaned back with his head in my hands a second Cuman copy came out of the guard that I was choking. He was naked and unarmed so when I was done with the "armed" Cuman copy a fist fight with the second one started. It played out as if I peeled the gear off him while knocking him out :wtc:.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hah, this is no doubt a bug, but did anyone else notice (at the end of "Rocketeer", upon bringing Kyeser back to Talmberg) that Kyeser apparently decided to take matters into his own hands by killing Peychar, even after Henry reassured him that he didn't have any ill intentions! Not only that, but he obviously decided to drag the corpse all the way to the Talmberg camp, (prompting Robard to poo poo himself and trigger an alarm, making me poo poo myself, thinking that we were under attack...) no doubt as a reminder to always remain vigilant! :haw:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm infiltrating that Cuman/bandit camp in the main storyline and some guide tells me that I can find poison in a chest in a tent in front of the main burned structure. There's no poison in that chest though, there were some mushrooms inside but I can't choose to put them in the pots. Is this bugged?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Palpek posted:

I'm infiltrating that Cuman/bandit camp in the main storyline and some guide tells me that I can find poison in a chest in a tent in front of the main burned structure. There's no poison in that chest though, there were some mushrooms inside but I can't choose to put them in the pots. Is this bugged?

There's poison in a few tents scattered around or you can bring your own poison.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, thanks I ended up getting out of the camp, buying the poison recipe and brewing my own. Lockpicking those chests is too risky with all those soldiers around and I had no Saviour Schnapps on me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Palpek posted:

Ok, thanks I ended up getting out of the camp, buying the poison recipe and brewing my own. Lockpicking those chests is too risky with all those soldiers around and I had no Saviour Schnapps on me.

I've become a big big fan of padfoot potions now for power lockpicking.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, nevermind, this mission is terribly designed. Mind-reading guards go after me 1 second after I burn the first set of arrows or poison the food (how the gently caress would they even notice this without eating if nobody saw me?). Another bad mission in this game that you can only reasonably solve by either killing everybody or running around like an idiot from pot to pot while a camp of psychic guards chases after you. Great idea for a stealth quest, did anybody even playtest this.

EDIT: Also those Cumans that the game decides want to talk to me that walk after me as if it's a sequel to It Follows are ridiculous. One targetted me and I circled the camp twice with him still just following me all the time despite it being impossible for him to see where I went. I even went to sleep afterwards and an hour into it he woke me up to talk to me because that's how long it took him to finally home in on me. Also all the barrels with arrows are on fire by default even before I set them. I guess something's hosed.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 13, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah that quest pissed me off too. I managed to stealth kill a few of the guys out on patrol but then a guy behind the wall apparently saw me from a mile away and came sprinting at me. This was at 2am and I was wearing all black stealth gear.

It also pisses me off that bad guys can run after you in the pitch black without torches. The game makes me even the odds by maxing my gamma to see anything at night and then everything looks like poo poo.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah anyone actually saying things like "you can play a rogue or bard and sneak or talk your way through the game" hasn't played the game past the first five hours

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah that quest pissed me off too. I managed to stealth kill a few of the guys out on patrol but then a guy behind the wall apparently saw me from a mile away and came sprinting at me. This was at 2am and I was wearing all black stealth gear.

It also pisses me off that bad guys can run after you in the pitch black without torches. The game makes me even the odds by maxing my gamma to see anything at night and then everything looks like poo poo.

TheAgent posted:

yeah anyone actually saying things like "you can play a rogue or bard and sneak or talk your way through the game" hasn't played the game past the first five hours

You can but it involves a shitload of nighthawk potions and archery

I'm doing a stealth run now and it's entirely *possible*, it just involves a lot more busywork than just shooting everything in the face does. I haven't tried the main path yet though on this run and I'm expecting poor implementation at points like Nest of Vipers etc.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a friend who's got a massive boner for any stealth and he made it work, but he said its a shitton of grinding out your stealth and failing a lot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Unzip and Attack posted:

The thing is though that there's another way to do it: you can steal a Cuman uniform and walk around the camp freely. There's even this thing where the bandits will all swear at you for being a dirty Cuman and if you get too close to a Cuman you get a skill check dialogue to get away.

That's pretty cool mission design, right? Except that even in that Cuman outfit the moment you poison one pot or set one basket of arrows on fire (and there are 4 pots and 4 baskets) - the entire camp goes after you after 2 seconds. It doesn't matter if anybody saw you or not, it doesn't matter if you hide out of sight before those 2 seconds pass - the entire camp is in combat mode and everybody knows where you're hiding. So what's the loving point of the existance of this stealth option if the actual way it goes down consists of you running around the camp chased by psychic guards who watch you poison their food (what a diversion) or you literally wiping the entire camp out and then poisoing the food and destroying the arrows so that the dead camp is sabotaged. And this is a main mission, not some random side quest. It's completely hosed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feeling good about my decision to ignore all optional objectives on that mission and just head back to camp the first chance I got

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Things went sideways for me in that mission but it ended up being the most fun and memorable segment - first playing cat-and-mouse in the darkness with patrolling guards, having a duel with a tough Cuman captain by the low light of a torch on the ground, then accidentally waking the rest of the camp at daybreak and funnelling them thru a narrow gate. Getting rich off all the loot didn't hurt.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
You can do the optional objectives after stealth murdering the entire camp, that counts as stealth, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If you poison all the cookpots in nest of vipers with Bane, will that kill them all quickly enough to then waltz through and do the fires? Or do you have to deal death manually?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Palpek posted:

The thing is though that there's another way to do it: you can steal a Cuman uniform and walk around the camp freely. There's even this thing where the bandits will all swear at you for being a dirty Cuman and if you get too close to a Cuman you get a skill check dialogue to get away.

That's pretty cool mission design, right? Except that even in that Cuman outfit the moment you poison one pot or set one basket of arrows on fire (and there are 4 pots and 4 baskets) - the entire camp goes after you after 2 seconds. It doesn't matter if anybody saw you or not, it doesn't matter if you hide out of sight before those 2 seconds pass - the entire camp is in combat mode and everybody knows where you're hiding. So what's the loving point of the existance of this stealth option if the actual way it goes down consists of you running around the camp chased by psychic guards who watch you poison their food (what a diversion) or you literally wiping the entire camp out and then poisoing the food and destroying the arrows so that the dead camp is sabotaged. And this is a main mission, not some random side quest. It's completely hosed.

For me it was even worse, since I ended up coming into their camp from the Cuman side (where there's a chest with a full uniform). Over there, the disguise did exactly gently caress-all, they saw through it withing seconds if I so much as got within 10 metres of them. Since that was the only part of the camp I'd seen so far I had no reason to believe it'd be much different elsewhere, and since the fuckers apparently never need to sleep there was no way of getting in deeper. So basically all my sabotage boiled down to shooting one of them in the face, poisoning a single pot, and then running like hell.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, this is no doubt a bug, but did anyone else notice (at the end of "Rocketeer", upon bringing Kyeser back to Talmberg) that Kyeser apparently decided to take matters into his own hands by killing Peychar, even after Henry reassured him that he didn't have any ill intentions! Not only that, but he obviously decided to drag the corpse all the way to the Talmberg camp, (prompting Robard to poo poo himself and trigger an alarm, making me poo poo myself, thinking that we were under attack...) no doubt as a reminder to always remain vigilant! :haw:

Uh, in my game it turned out Peychar actually was an assassin, and followed Kyeser to try and kill him (the guards stop him). Are you sure that isn’t what happened for you?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you poison all the cookpots in nest of vipers with Bane, will that kill them all quickly enough to then waltz through and do the fires? Or do you have to deal death manually?

I dunno, I did everything extra on that quest, killed a pile of bandits and the next day when the fight starts, it just looked like a bunch of people showed up anyway. I'm not sure how important that was or how easier it made it, depending on your play style. If the stealth stuff is bothering you, just go on a murder spree with good ol Hal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AxeManiac posted:

I dunno, I did everything extra on that quest, killed a pile of bandits and the next day when the fight starts, it just looked like a bunch of people showed up anyway. I'm not sure how important that was or how easier it made it, depending on your play style. If the stealth stuff is bothering you, just go on a murder spree with good ol Hal.

Yeah, I beat it the simple way already once, just by standing on top of that little one-man-wide stairway with a bow and sixty poisoned arrows. I'm working on a stealth run now so wondering what approach I'll have to use when I get to that point. Guess I'll find out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think the regular poison in this game does enough damage to actually kill someone. So maybe it just decreased the health of the enemies for that battle?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Palpek posted:

The thing is though that there's another way to do it: you can steal a Cuman uniform and walk around the camp freely.

This did not work for me. I tried this route first and stealth second since my social and stealth skills were both higher than my combat skills at the time. I tried every possible combination of cuman clothing armor and weapons. Nothing worked and I was always attacked on sight.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was going to come in here and ask if the game was worth a buy but after reading the last few pages...

:yikes:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Akion posted:

I was going to come in here and ask if the game was worth a buy but after reading the last few pages...

JESUS CHRIST be with you then good knight

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Akion posted:

It's buggy for sure, but I still don't regret my purchase.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It certainly looks like one of those "fun but also frustrating" games. I'm thinking I may pick it up after I finish Far Cry 5. Maybe they'll get the major kinks worked out by then?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

steinrokkan posted:

It's buggy for sure, but I still don't regret my purchase.

I really wish I'd waited...six months before buying it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Akion posted:

It certainly looks like one of those "fun but also frustrating" games. I'm thinking I may pick it up after I finish Far Cry 5. Maybe they'll get the major kinks worked out by then?

Probably a good call. It's fun now but it will be a better game later.

You
Oct 6, 2009
I think the best game to compare it to would be Mount & Blade. It has interesting concepts but unfourtunately can't really deliver in them. It's possible to completely break the game over the knee just by playing normally. It's unfair in an unbalanced way and it's possible to gently caress yourself over in the early game.

But like Mount & Blade it's also more than the sum of its parts. It's a fun and unique experience with a great amount of "create your fun" mentality. It's absolutely possible to powergame your way through, but that's not really the intention of the game. Many quests are broken but it's not really the quests that are the main point. As a buggy mess of a sandbox game, it's one of the best.

Then we get to corrupt saves and game breaking bugs. Those aren't acceptable in a released product, but if you're able to accept them in what should have been a beta version you're in for a great time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Unzip and Attack posted:

This did not work for me. I tried this route first and stealth second since my social and stealth skills were both higher than my combat skills at the time. I tried every possible combination of cuman clothing armor and weapons. Nothing worked and I was always attacked on sight.
I think there's a certain ammount of Cuman clothes AND weapons that you have to have on you. I read somewhere that bloodied clothing won't work either. But there's no telling with this game as it does so much stuff without indicating it to the player - you could do everything right but poo poo bugs out and you're done.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

I'd say give it six months+ and wait for a sale, especially if you're on a console