Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
After some rounds spent with an Henselt deck:

1)Ballistas and rams are your best friends.
Trebuchets and towers can be a good winch drop if lacking an optimal target.
Reinforced ballistas always suck.

2)Bloody baron is an awfully fickle card, he's an awesome finisher if you steamrolled the enemy, but if you are in a damage race against self buffing deck he's a weaker geralt you can't play before round 3.

3)Winch+Nenneke is way overpowered, created machines should be doomed.
Always remember to put Roach back in the deck.

4)Ronvid is awesome. Always having a crew available saved my rear end more than once and if he gets locked he's still an 11.
When he starts eating a weather effect every turn he puts a damper in a lot of monster freeze shenanigans.

5)Reaver scouts are my crutch. I can't live without them.

6)Sile+winch is a free card.

7)If an enemy has many cards near 13 strenght, plonk down Thaler, get a free card and ballista him into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
New faction challenge, monsters vs NR. I imagine NR will be more popular because the monsters border is a repeat. I guess I'll finally play some busted henselt again, should be a very fast 30 wins.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

also i dont think reaver scout is run in most henselt decks... the standard "henselt" deck seems to be:

1x seltkirk (he's insane)
1x natalis or triss telly
then either baron + drought or two of shani, villentretenmerth, or triss/natalis

1x thaler
1x adc
1x ronvid
then three of nenneke, reinforcement, scorch, dethmold

3x winch
3x battering ram
3x siege master
3x dun banner
3x another bronze machine, usually ballista if running double scorch or reinforced ballista if you want a different one

IMO villentretenmerth is a stronger card than scorch so i personally wouldn't run scorch unless you're already running villen (most people seem to disagree fwiw), and i'd almost always run nenneke. Dethmold is good with shani if you henselted R1, he might not be worth running without shani. Sile seems ok in some decks but can be sketchy with dun banners, which are extremely busted.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 13, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

No Wave posted:

also i dont think reaver scout is run in most henselt decks... the standard "henselt" deck seems to be:

1x seltkirk (he's insane)
1x natalis or triss telly
then either baron + drought or two of shani, villentretenmerth, or triss/natalis

1x thaler
1x adc
1x ronvid
then three of nenneke, reinforcement, scorch, dethmold

3x winch
3x battering ram
3x siege master
3x dun banner
3x another bronze machine, usually ballista if running double scorch or reinforced ballista if you want a different one

IMO villentretenmerth is a stronger card than scorch so i personally wouldn't run scorch unless you're already running villen (most people seem to disagree fwiw), and i'd almost always run nenneke. Dethmold is good with shani if you henselted R1, he might not be worth running without shani. Sile seems ok in some decks but can be sketchy with dun banners, which are extremely busted.

I feel like I'm missing something because Dun Banner and Nenneke have always been super inconsistent for me - Dun Banner are rarely going to win you a round and will most certainly lose you a match because you draw one on a mulligan, while Nenneke only seems useful if you can save Henselt for R3, which makes me wonder how you're supposed to win R1 then. I've had a ton of success with armor Henselt, that said.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on DBs, my least favorite designed cards in the game.

I don't actually have enough experience to say if nenneke is correct or not. But being able to win round 3 when you're 2 cards down gives you a lot of options.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I'd swap Seltkirk for Vandergrift myself: you can use Rams to shoot things to 1 on the second shot and setup a big swing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
vandergrift is sort of a high risk high reward card, but on average i don't think he's better than cap'n kirk

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
is there a counter for the faction challenge now? weren't they talking about implementing that?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

botany posted:

is there a counter for the faction challenge now? weren't they talking about implementing that?

It should be on the social panel under your quests. Try restarting if it's not there or not updating.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Though some people got monsters border last time I don't think the title was available last time

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Estraysian posted:

It should be on the social panel under your quests. Try restarting if it's not there or not updating.

oh i see it, thanks! i still forget that panel exists now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Warning: wins do NOT count until you choose a faction.

Seedge posted:

I'd swap Seltkirk for Vandergrift myself: you can use Rams to shoot things to 1 on the second shot and setup a big swing.
Seltkirk is just the nuts. He'd be the very last gold I'd cut.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 13, 2018

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah that counter is bugged to poo poo. i'm sitting at 18 rounds won, most of those were 2-0s, but my faction win counter says 3 win. ok.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Seltkirk is very good in general and vandergrift needs the right circumstances to be real good. It's an easy choice

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

What makes Seltkirk better than, say, Triss? 7 power shoot for 7 is pretty close to 10 power shoot for 5.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm gonna choose monsters and dust off my fog+moonlight deck

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Seedge posted:

What makes Seltkirk better than, say, Triss? 7 power shoot for 7 is pretty close to 10 power shoot for 5.

Seltkirk is 8 str and 3 armor which means he can kill an 11 without taking any return damage, or something even bigger while taking a hit himself. Far better than vanilla Triss.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Seedge posted:

duel is really powerful when you can control the target and you get to deal damage first and you have armor.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

No Wave posted:

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on DBs, my least favorite designed cards in the game.

I don't actually have enough experience to say if nenneke is correct or not. But being able to win round 3 when you're 2 cards down gives you a lot of options.

Nevermind, I just got reamed by a properly played Henselt machine deck where Nenneke let them hit me with 6 rams. Took a screenshot of it but it seems GoG Galaxy just dumps them into a black hole or something because there isn't a GoG screenshot folder anywhere on my PC. Oh well.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I did it! Rank 20! Highest I've ever been.

So another 400 points for rank 21 and you get around 30 per win. That's... quite a grind. On the plus side, I'm close to getting the NR challenge border.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jeez, I've got to agree with the dun banner hate... feels like they can just play thaler whenever they want with no downside going second, and you get screwed over when you don't have an agent of your own, or play gold weather without falling behind.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seedge posted:

Seltkirk can kill every card you'd want to kill in the game, even villentretenmerth, and will be worth 19 points if you hit a target that's 11-13 points big (as long as they have no armor, do not duel redanian elites!). He's not a fair card at all, especially when your opponent can't let themselves be more than 20 points ahead of you.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
losing to an imlerith sabbath gimmick deck is really annoying. And it's all because I only had 2 locks and no damage

i wish i could petulantly say "if i brought my other deck i'd own your noob deck"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I despise that card. Tempo in Gwent is different and using two cards to remove one is generally fine and just how you remove things - I like that about the game. Imlerith Sabbath you just lose if you don't have removal immediately in hand (locks don't generally work because imsab decks probably run more locks than you, and playing a big minion obviously doesn't work as these decks run swallows and parasite). And off of Royal decree it's an 11 str body you have to have immediate removal for... really awful, if I didn't have emotes disabled I'd emote every time I won against those decks. The only upshot is that those all-in decks don't have a good win rate, but who knows if they'll make the next version viable.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 14, 2018

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Sabbath is such a lovely binary card that either wins you the game or does nothing. I've seen people praise the design but I really don't get it, they should completely rework it imo. In other news, there was an AMA with Burza on the official forums and apparently CDPR are working on a solution to coin flip that involves giving each leader an initiative stat which determines who goes first. Seems like an easily exploitable system unless they balance it well.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I got wrecked by Imlerith exactly once, I then bought Seltkirk for a hard counter and scorch. I use Royal Decree to increase my control over golds and I havent lost to him since.
I need only to block him for the first round, then if he brings him over to the second I immediately pass. If he tries to keep him for the third I can usually crush his gimmick deck with my henselt fury.

Oh and I ditched reaver scouts and put in kaedweni sergeants for weather control and crewing and now the deck works like a clock.
My last session with my old deck went 10-6 but today I made 11-1 !

Thanks goons!

Edit: also, if I manage to neuter him with my barebone counters he must be useless against the majority of setups out there.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 14, 2018

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I'm watching SirPumpkn play Swim's silly Ocvist Handbuff deck while Swim and Lockin coach him through it against his own will is really amusing

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I'm glad people netdeck Swim so much because playing against this Ocvist deck is basically just free mmr.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

What are the T1 decks at the moment? At rank 20 I'm seeing mostly :

ST Mulligan/elf buff
NG Alchemy
NR Henselt Siege Master/Ballista/BR/Dun Banner (non-gold weather)
NR Radovid Armor/Ciri:Nova
SK Greatswords
SK Veterans

Is there a T1 monsters deck? Consume, maybe? Don't see it very often but I don't see why it wouldn't be good against most of those. Mandrake meta doesn't really hurt it that much. I see the Dagon Deathwish deck a fair bit but I don't really feel like it's T1.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Greatswords and some version of Henselt machines are probably the two T1 decks currently though the difference between T1/2 isn't as big as it's been in the past. Consume is certainly up there and isn't seeing much play, which just helps its win rate since people wont be teching against it. A single mandrake doesn't do anything to counter consume. Deathwish is probably a solid T2.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Man, Consume is not easy to play at high rank. I played it a bit last season in mid-level ranks and mostly just facerolled, but you really need to think about your placements and consume counters to beat good decks.

So far I have :

- lost by one point to Eithne running Schirru and Scorch.

- lost by one point to a handbuff deck that somehow got three Vanguards off Elven Scouts.

- won three cards down in R3 against handbuff after using ADC in R2 expecting a Forktail but getting a Nekker instead, then having to play my Brewess to make up one point (having lost R1).

My mistakes make me laugh right now because I know if I keep at it I'll iron out most of them just by becoming more familiar with the cards. But damned if it wasn't embarrassing to lose to Cursed Radovid of all things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Greatswords is way more OP than people realize. I agree with the assessment that the strongest decks are henselt and GS by a good margin.

The tryhard decks right now seem to be brouver, at least two flavors of skellige (GS and veterans, cursed and shieldsmiths seem to have cooled off), henselt, and alchemy. Dagon deathwish would be good if everyone starts playing alchemy again, it's almost good enough.

Tons of decent T2 decks you can have fun climbing with though.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Greatswords always feels super good against me because it is weather resistant, and has 6+ resurrects if you keep killing them (3 corsairs and 3 freya, of course). That means a casual silver mage plus a thunder or two can only slow them down, not stop them.

Also I hate gold weather and wish it would be removed. Feels like such a 'gotcha', though it is probably balanced as far as winrates go.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I'm seeing some success with deathrattle monsters but its mostly because people are making bad decisions and reactly poorly to the deck rather than the deck being outright stronger right now. I tried a meme wild hunt drakkar deck which was amusing and cheeses some wins but funnily enough that's the only time where I face alchemy ng and they always have all of their viper witchers (without needing to use calveit) so that dumpsters that deck. Outside of consume and the decks that I've named, what's good? I want my goddamn monsters border man

e: without losing my sanity

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
My Greatsword variant deck is still great. Renew is even better with djikstra more common in this meta!

Edit: I'm also having great success with a very thinning temeria deck, but it reaaaaaaaaaly needs a deck tracker to work right. Sarah is a crucial card to smooth over cards that should be in the deck ending up in your hand.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 17, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

My Greatsword variant deck is still great. Renew is even better with djikstra more common in this meta!

Edit: I'm also having great success with a very thinning temeria deck, but it reaaaaaaaaaly needs a deck tracker to work right. Sarah is a crucial card to smooth over cards that should be in the deck ending up in your hand.
Isnt Ves better for that? Imo Foltest decks are almost real decks, except henselt has a completely unfair matchup against them.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Consume progress report : made it to 4157 then lost six games in a row, including to 2 x GS each with Muzzle, Coral and Mandrake in their starting hands, then an Eithne running Artefact Compression and Muzzle (all in opening hand). Surely that's tech for GS, right? Does that even work?

Alchemy and every ST deck is a good matchup for me (when they aren't running Muzzle) but I'm finding it hard to beat GS and Henselt machines. I'm not going hard enough in R1 for GS, I think. I'm going to try to be greedier in future and mulligan for extra consume triggers when I can. Henselt is the one deck which actually does work by just shooting my Nekkers. I feel like I'll have to try to build up their strength to like six before I play one; I need to somehow make him use more than one shot to kill a Nekker.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

Isnt Ves better for that? Imo Foltest decks are almost real decks, except henselt has a completely unfair matchup against them.

Nah, Sarah gives you better control over what you get; you usually want to switch out an early Shani or a late not-djikstra. Being able to switch out a silver for a different silver is also very useful.

Ves used to be better when it was mulliganing (not swapping), but that was the olden days of several months ago.

Henselt decks are deffo a bad matchup, but feel pretty good vs the rest of the field.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

...is there actually a difference between mulligan and swap? :psyduck: I thought it was just a rename.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Captainicus posted:

...is there actually a difference between mulligan and swap? :psyduck: I thought it was just a rename.

It is just a rename. Though I think Ves used to blacklist before the rename, which she doesn't anymore.

Estraysian fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 18, 2018