Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's 4 main power granting science experiments in Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. 3 are unrelated, 1 is a direct offshoot of another (and the only one intentionally giving powers.)

Seagate was not working on creating superpowers. The tank that gave Luke his was just supposed to be rapid healing, and he wasn't even expected to survive. I think the intent here was that they're trying to develop rapid healing for other purposes, and using prisoners to experiment. Luke gets his powers because the guard tries to shut things down and messes with the controls. Luke was not actually selected for experimentation either, it's Reva who wants him put in after he gets attacked and isn't going to make it. That's reveal 1 she knows more than she claims, then of course later you find out she was the one selecting the experiments (who up to that point all die, so she was choosing who to kill effectively.)

Kilgrave's parents also weren't trying to create superpowers. They were trying to fix a degenerative disease he had and his mind control powers came from that somehow. Reva ends up with a thumb drive with footage of this and that leads to her death because Kilgrave wants to conceal his origins. I don't remember how Reva got the thumb drive, and looking at the Wikia for the MCU they say "as yet unexplained reasons" so I guess they didn't cover it.

IGH was illegal and immoral but had good intentions to heal people who normally couldn't be healed. Superpowers were a side effect (and so was mental illness.) Somehow Kozlov was able to use this research to create his superpower pills that Simpson takes. IGH actually being good is probably a retcon so it doesn't all fit that neatly with season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It seems pretty clear that Malus was the only one at IGH with truly benevolent intentions. He even says himself that he cut ties with Kozlov and Hansen and shut the clinic down, which likely just means that the facility he specifically worked at ceased to operate in his absence, but IGH, Kozlov and Hansen continued to use the all the acquired research elsewhere.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, it's never explicitly explained, but it's not a stretch to imagine all the scientists attended a experimental healing techniques conference in the 1980s or something and were thus aware of/tied to each other in some way.

I guess they could eventually reveal a mysterious overseer for all three projects (Cage, IGH and Kilgrave), but I think it can still work as is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were a bunch of other kids getting experimented on by their parents on video along with Kilgrave and I thought the parents were in contact with each other, but maybe Cage’s wife just collected all their precious keepsake videos of their screaming, pleading children after the kids all independently developed superpowers and killed their parents.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven’t finished yet but is Jessica not an inhuman? Inhuman for me are people like Daisy and Yo-Yo from Agents of SHIELD.

It's strongly implied that she is an Inhuman in the reveal that her powers were a side-effect. Some people receive powers, others don't. It's not a huge leap that the people who do are inhumans - already established as sleeper-heroes requiring an "activation event" in the MCU.

Although I'm not done watching JJ2 and haven't watched AoS in months, so I'm prepared to be wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody is going to be an Inhuman outside AoS after that series bombed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even if the Inhumans TV series hadn't cratered, they were an ABC property so you still wouldn't have seen them outside of AoS.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's why I figured it was presented the way it was on JJ.

It's also coincidently exactly how characters unaware of Inhumans would describe accidentally unlocking an Inhuman's powers through an unrelated process.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Inhumans are just a way for marvel to try to have something like mutants without having to pay out to fox. What they didn't bank on was nobody giving a poo poo about inhumans for about 55 consecutive years.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

business hammocks posted:

What they didn't bank on was nobody giving a poo poo about inhumans for the entire history of their existence.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I liked the twist where JJ uncovers a group sitting shiva. :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inhumans are just a way for marvel to try to have something like mutants without having to pay out to fox. What they didn't bank on was nobody giving a poo poo about inhumans for about 55 consecutive years.

Well now that the issue is moot with the Fox acquisition, expect them to never be referenced outside of AoS in either the TV shows or movies.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat, I didn't know Disney hired the CW capeshit crew to produce Jessica Jones. Terminated viewing: mid episode 4. DNR protocol in effect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They hired the director of Twilight.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's 4 main power granting science experiments in Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. 3 are unrelated, 1 is a direct offshoot of another (and the only one intentionally giving powers.)

Seagate was not working on creating superpowers. The tank that gave Luke his was just supposed to be rapid healing, and he wasn't even expected to survive. I think the intent here was that they're trying to develop rapid healing for other purposes, and using prisoners to experiment. Luke gets his powers because the guard tries to shut things down and messes with the controls. Luke was not actually selected for experimentation either, it's Reva who wants him put in after he gets attacked and isn't going to make it. That's reveal 1 she knows more than she claims, then of course later you find out she was the one selecting the experiments (who up to that point all die, so she was choosing who to kill effectively.)

Kilgrave's parents also weren't trying to create superpowers. They were trying to fix a degenerative disease he had and his mind control powers came from that somehow. Reva ends up with a thumb drive with footage of this and that leads to her death because Kilgrave wants to conceal his origins. I don't remember how Reva got the thumb drive, and looking at the Wikia for the MCU they say "as yet unexplained reasons" so I guess they didn't cover it.

IGH was illegal and immoral but had good intentions to heal people who normally couldn't be healed. Superpowers were a side effect (and so was mental illness.) Somehow Kozlov was able to use this research to create his superpower pills that Simpson takes. IGH actually being good is probably a retcon so it doesn't all fit that neatly with season 1.

You forgot the most important experiment, the dude hauling super power juice who got rear ended and some dumbass kid wasn't wearing safety goggles in the street so he got a lot of that poo poo in his eyes... and he may or may not have also dropped some pet turtles when this happened.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 13, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly the idea of daredevil, luke cage and JJ all having the same shadowy group as the source of their powers is 100% a better set up for a Defenders series than Dany Rand's awful discount Wuxia bullshit.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Daredevil has superpowers? I always thought his deal was supposed to basically be 'natural' for comic book levels of natural.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

Daredevil has superpowers? I always thought his deal was supposed to basically be 'natural' for comic book levels of natural.

He got blinded by radioactive poo poo that fell off a truck.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gorelab posted:

Wasnt the whole thing that the accident heightened his senses to superhuman levels and then stick taught him how to control them?

The comics always waffled a bit on whether it was the accident or the training that made him like that so I might be mixing things up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Wasnt the whole thing that the accident heightened his senses to superhuman levels and then stick taught him how to control them?

The comics always waffled a bit on whether it was the accident or the training that made him like that so I might be mixing things up.

It depends on who's writing him at the time. Sometimes he has a sixth "radar" sense, sometimes it's just super-echolocation. And sometimes he loses his radar ability and has to learn to use super-echolocation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt's superpowers are pretty lame since the non-powered Stick seems to be at his level too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Matt's superpower is Charlie Cox's abs

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I'm still glad Stick's dead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

Matt's superpowers are pretty lame since the non-powered Stick seems to be at his level too.

Stick was...the truck driver!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OSHA isn't going to be happy about that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Stick was...the truck driver!!

He drove stick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slashrat posted:

It seems pretty clear that Malus was the only one at IGH with truly benevolent intentions. He even says himself that he cut ties with Kozlov and Hansen and shut the clinic down, which likely just means that the facility he specifically worked at ceased to operate in his absence, but IGH, Kozlov and Hansen continued to use the all the acquired research elsewhere.

I do wanna stress that in my opinion, Malus may have had benevolent intentions but he was an incredibly selfish and arrogant person who hid that (even from himself, you could argue) behind false humility and the kooky hippy personality/look. He never takes responsibility for anything he did aside from lipservice, and his "sacrifice" is just as selfish and completely fucks over Jessica's mother in the process, yet another casualty/side-effect of his experiments.

Basically gently caress everybody but Jessica, Vido and maybe Oscar. Maybe. :colbert:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Jerusalem posted:

I do wanna stress that in my opinion, Malus may have had benevolent intentions but he was an incredibly selfish and arrogant person who hid that (even from himself, you could argue) behind false humility and the kooky hippy personality/look. He never takes responsibility for anything he did aside from lipservice, and his "sacrifice" is just as selfish and completely fucks over Jessica's mother in the process, yet another casualty/side-effect of his experiments.

Basically gently caress everybody but Jessica, Vido and maybe Oscar. Maybe. :colbert:

What's wrong with Malcom?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually like Malcolm but I'm mad at him for signing on with Pryce, mostly because I thought that character was really lame and bad. Plus of course he makes some spectacularly stupid decisions which is forgiveable, but it actively fucks over Jessica and I dislike that given the way season 1 wrapped up so nicely between the two.

It'll probably go somewhere interesting in season 3 at least, even if it means there is going to be more Pryce.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Jessica is my least favorite person in the show and treats Malcolm horribly:(

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

cosmicjim posted:

Jessica is my least favorite person in the show and treats Malcolm horribly:(

I don't understand how Jessica is your least favorite person when Trish is in this show

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

No argument from me on that point. Malus wanted to do good, but he was really horrible at it ultimately.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't understand how Jessica is your least favorite person when Trish is in this show

Good point.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Malus was ok-ish, since he at least seemed to try to help Jessica's mother out of guilt/responsibility for the way she ended up.

But then he gets kidnapped by Trish and whatever sympathy for his character goes to poo poo. I mean at some point he implies that "he knows what he is doing" or that he has some plan, but he ends up playing completely along with Trish's insanity and also augments it by having her operated upon in an abandoned (for years) lab. He is experimenting on a person who is clearly stupid and not terminal/ dead, because he hopes that he perfected his science in the past years.

Him deciding that he should kill himself in the end was just the cherry on top.

Story-telling wise it made sense for the series to go there, to trigger the events for the finale. But it screwed up most of the characters involved.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

As for Misty, I'm not 100% sure when this season happens relative to Defenders. If this doesn't happen after Defenders Season 1, then it's probably happening at the same time as Luke Cage Season 1.

When Jessica said "The last time people wanted to team up with me, somebody died," her mom thought she was referring to Kilgrave, but wasn't she actually talking about Matt?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Malus was ok-ish, since he at least seemed to try to help Jessica's mother out of guilt/responsibility for the way she ended up.

But then he gets kidnapped by Trish and whatever sympathy for his character goes to poo poo. I mean at some point he implies that "he knows what he is doing" or that he has some plan, but he ends up playing completely along with Trish's insanity and also augments it by having her operated upon in an abandoned (for years) lab. He is experimenting on a person who is clearly stupid and not terminal/ dead, because he hopes that he perfected his science in the past years.

Him deciding that he should kill himself in the end was just the cherry on top.

Story-telling wise it made sense for the series to go there, to trigger the events for the finale. But it screwed up most of the characters involved.

That was about 12 hours after him swearing off super-science forever as a condition for getting out of the country. He is an equivocating weak coward, but it doesn't mean he's entirely bad. Jessica's mother is much the same in excusing her mistakes and committing to promises she knows at the time are impossible.

Also, I just watched the Defenders and while it isn't as awful as I thought it might be, it's really blah. Iron Fist isn't really even a main character. He's only in it slightly more than Rosario Dawson. The different styles and themes of the series don't really mesh. At least they didn't try to make it 13 episodes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

That was about 12 hours after him swearing off super-science forever as a condition for getting out of the country. He is an equivocating weak coward, but it doesn't mean he's entirely bad. Jessica's mother is much the same in excusing her mistakes and committing to promises she knows at the time are impossible.

Also, I just watched the Defenders and while it isn't as awful as I thought it might be, it's really blah. Iron Fist isn't really even a main character. He's only in it slightly more than Rosario Dawson. The different styles and themes of the series don't really mesh. At least they didn't try to make it 13 episodes.

I think it was just the ironfist stuff that threw everything off. Jessica and Luke were both in most of JJ S1 and Daredevil can slot in pretty easily as well. It was only when Dany Rand's wuxia bullshit entered the equation that things got tonally inconsistent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I thought that the suicide was well done, but I’m probably reading too much into it. He realized as he was about to be murdered by the daughter of his wife/test subject that his life was untenable. Trish was proof that he was just a monster who couldn’t really change anymore than Mom Campbell could.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I'm 2 episodes in and holy hell the color grading in JJ is bad. It's not even a neat washed out noir like Minority Report, it's just hideous blue everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Misty has good tits. and so does agent madani. I'm in it for the tits.