Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

iceaim posted:

Speaking of virtual desktop. I really like using virtual screens, and not just for watching movies or playing non VR games in 3D. Even stuff like PUBG in 2D on a giant curved virtual screen is so god drat immersive, and I used to play it on my 70 inch 4k tv but now I'm going back to playing it in a virtual screen. Am I insane? The resolution is "good enough" (around 720p maybe slightly more? The switch does 720p only and nobody complains. It honestly doesn't look bad with super sampling. It's softer looking than my 4k tv but it doesn't look lovely to me at least.), the screen is OLED, and the sensory deprivation plus the massive screen scale makes up for reduced resolution. The deluxe audio strap significantly improves the overall experience thanks to the great comfort it provides, and I was fine with the regular strap from December 2016 to December 2017. Anyone else feel the same?

I completely disagree, but I'm glad you're enjoying virtual screens. Tthe effective resolution using the Vive is less than 480p at normal desktop distances.

From rough testing I sit about 17 inches from my monitors.

23in 1080p screen at 17 inches has 31.5 pixels per degree, the
http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensityCalculator.html#find:density,pxW:1920,pxH:1080,size:23,sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distance:20,distUnit:in

The Vive has 11 pixels per degree
https://www.roadtovr.com/understanding-pixel-density-retinal-resolution-and-why-its-important-for-vr-and-ar-headsets/

A 21in 480p monitor at 17 inches has 12.2 pixels per degree.
http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensityCalculator.html#find:density,pxW:640,pxH:480,size:21,sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distance:20,distUnit:in

Super sampling helps the Vive but I personally think the screen look muddy, and having something strapped to my face is not nearly as comfortable a viewing experience. I could see happily using VR on a plane, but in a nice home I doubt I'll watch non-VR content using using Vive or Vive Pro.

FYI: The iPhone 4 "retina" display was aiming for 60 px/degree which is considered near the limit of average human vision (20/20). Many people see much better down into the 20/15 and 20/10 and I believe by that math they should see up to 120 px/degree.

By the same calculation that gets 10.8 px/degree For the Vive (1080 pixels /100 FOV) we find the Vive pro is (2080/2/100) or 14.4 px/degree, which I'm sure is noticeably better but we can get up to 60 px/degree before a person with average vision cannot see any difference. I'm sure past about 30 px/degree we'll start to see a point of rapidly diminishing returns that people can tell the difference but don't really care.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Stick100 posted:

By the same calculation that gets 10.8 px/degree For the Vive (1080 pixels /100 FOV) we find the Vive pro is (2080/2/100) or 14.4 px/degree, which I'm sure is noticeably better but we can get up to 60 px/degree before a person with average vision cannot see any difference. I'm sure past about 30 px/degree we'll start to see a point of rapidly diminishing returns that people can tell the difference but don't really care.

Isn't the FOV of the Vive 110 though?

Interesting comment and I see where you are going with this. So wouldn't even regular VR content (as opposed to a virtual screen) be the equivalent of worse than 480p?

Based on the information you provided the answer would be "yes", but the perceived resolution (with 1.7 super sampling enabled in SteamVR) looks so crisp for VR games for me personally. Stuff like The Lab or Lone Echo looks beautiful and I never think about the resolution at all.

When I bought my Vive in December 2016 and built my VR PC, I set my expectations very low because I heard a lot of people complain about the resolution. My expectations were blown away and the resolution appeared much better to me than I expected.

Going back to my TV. I never was super impressed with the 1080p resolution of my old 52 inch Sharp. It wasn't enough and I could see the pixels. I would tend to sit close to it, about 17 inches away since I used it like a monitor. My 4k 70 inch Sharp on the other hand though is fantastic in 4k even when I sit 17 inches away from it. It's got that same high pixel density "retina" feel that my iphone has where it's hard to tell the individual pixels unless I put my face right up to the tv.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Question re: USB "bandwidth" (i don't actually know if this is a thing):

If i add more USB extenders to my system (one to the headset and possibly to one sensor, unsure about that one) will it draw more "USB POWER" from my system or is it still the same consumption? I already seemed to be hitting the limit almost with my old setup.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dongattack posted:

Question re: USB "bandwidth" (i don't actually know if this is a thing):

If i add more USB extenders to my system (one to the headset and possibly to one sensor, unsure about that one) will it draw more "USB POWER" from my system or is it still the same consumption? I already seemed to be hitting the limit almost with my old setup.

Are you chaining extenders or just adding them to more ports on your PC? The extender should probably support the newest USB standard for maximum throughput. If it's a straight USB extender, the cable probably shouldn't affect power consumption. If you're chaining, I'd probably add an active cable in the mix somewhere just to be safe.

Take it with a grain of salt though, I don't know much about USB. I know buying cables designed for older standards or otherwise lovely cables will affect your experience negatively though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
No new ports no, just need to add a extender to the headset and i might possibly have to chain two together for one sensor. But yeah, they are all active, so i guess it'll be fine.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dongattack posted:

No new ports no, just need to add a extender to the headset and i might possibly have to chain two together for one sensor. But yeah, they are all active, so i guess it'll be fine.

Connectors tend to add a lot of resistance and more resistance in a cable raises the amount of current required. So chaining them is probably the worst case scenario if you think it's going to affect you. Better off getting a longer cable of the right length.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
An lo, on March the 12th in the year of our lord 2018, goons discovered Motor Shiva, and he did grin.

Full vid: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/238158399

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Motoshiva is not a crime.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I love shenanigans as much as the next goon, but that seems like a really good way to ensure you all get shot in rapid succession.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

I love shenanigans as much as the next goon, but that seems like a really good way to ensure you all get shot in rapid succession.

It’s almost like you think we weren’t trying to do that.

We won like 3 games out of 10 when grouped up and then everyone else dropped and I played like 5 more by myself and won all but 1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just as HTC got off its rear end with the mild Pro bump, Google claims they developed a super high res 120Hz OLED panel with LG (probably) for use in VR. Ughhh
https://www.roadtovr.com/google-feature-wide-fov-high-resolution-vr-oled-display-sid-2018/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mobby_6kl posted:

Just as HTC got off its rear end with the mild Pro bump, Google claims they developed a super high res 120Hz OLED panel with LG (probably) for use in VR. Ughhh
https://www.roadtovr.com/google-feature-wide-fov-high-resolution-vr-oled-display-sid-2018/

Standalone VR, I hope it has real 6dof and good 6dof controllers. I wouldn’t get one but I wouldn’t mind giving it a try at best buy. A little competition in the VR industry would be great.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have anyone of you built a solution where your headset wires run across the ceiling in like a wheeled trench that follows you as you walk? I want to do that to get them off the floor, but i have no idea what the technical name for something like that is so i can't find a retailer via google, anyone know?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dongattack posted:

Have anyone of you built a solution where your headset wires run across the ceiling in like a wheeled trench that follows you as you walk? I want to do that to get them off the floor, but i have no idea what the technical name for something like that is so i can't find a retailer via google, anyone know?

Not sure if such a thing exists (especially for an affordable price, that sounds expensive), but there are other ceiling-mounted cable management options that work well.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Skywin-Management-System-Virtual-Reality-Headset/dp/B07342C8BT

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It's not 100% what you're asking, but I mounted three hooks (from a picture hanging kit) in my ceiling that I route the cords through while I'm playing. On the cords themselves I've tightly wrapped a velcro tie around a small carabiner which stays upright enough that I can use that to connect the cables to the hooks while still allowing for a little movement. It's worked extremely well for me, and the bonus is that my ceiling and the hooks are similarly colored enough that you don't even see them unless there's a light source projecting shadows at an angle from floor level which only happens if my wife's reading in the dark while I'm playing something.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, something like that will probably work. What i was thinking about you often see in garages and factories attached to tools, but yeah, it might be really expensive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dongattack posted:

I bought a setup for ceiling rig setup.

It was neat. I don’t use it anymore. Mostly It’s real hard on cables. Didn’t wanna replace mine all the time

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I finally got my vr gunstock parts from a buddy that printed them up from me. I was "inspired" by the protube but am too cheap to buy one right now.The material cost was well under $20 seeing that I wasn't paying for printing other than material. I'm really happy with how it turned out. If anyone is thinking of cadding up touch accessories oculus has a cad model of the controllers you can download. I used that to model the cups and they fit like a glove. Just need the sling I ordered off amazon to arrive and its ready to go.

Trying to play standout with it without a sling is an exercise in :downsrim:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dongattack posted:

If you do want the wheeled track and it's a straight run you could build it out of something like Makerslide or V-Slot extrusions and the like. Access to a 3D printer would let you even build small curved sections if you have to join two pieces together at an angle.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Obsurveyor posted:

If you do want the wheeled track and it's a straight run you could build it out of something like Makerslide or V-Slot extrusions and the like. Access to a 3D printer would let you even build small curved sections if you have to join two pieces together at an angle.

I've always assumed that 3D printers can only make things out of really fragile and porous materials, can they make sturdy stuff?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dongattack posted:

I've always assumed that 3D printers can only make things out of really fragile and porous materials, can they make sturdy stuff?

You can make them out of fairly dense hard plastic that will probably survive anything the cable would itself survive.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

I finally got my vr gunstock parts from a buddy that printed them up from me. I was "inspired" by the protube but am too cheap to buy one right now.The material cost was well under $20 seeing that I wasn't paying for printing other than material.

I never did a review of the $50 Amazon stock + sling, but it's good. I don't know how it compares to the Protube. People say the protube is very heavy, I don't think the it's nearly as heavy but I've had no issue with it loosening on it's own. I even contacted the guy later for Oculus cups and he sent me some for I think $10 including shipping. It def. works better with the Vive since the controllers are interchangeable.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I just got my $15 credit from Oculus for the outage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A bunch of 20 dollar games on Oculus are mysteriously 15 dollars now. Anyone know any must haves on the Oculus store?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Yeah, something like that will probably work. What i was thinking about you often see in garages and factories attached to tools, but yeah, it might be really expensive.

yeah dude I dunno how big your playspace is but a pack of $3 hooks and a pack of $3 retractable lanyards does my 2m*2m vive space fine. don't overthink it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

A bunch of 20 dollar games on Oculus are mysteriously 15 dollars now. Anyone know any must haves on the Oculus store?

Echo Arena

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

You can make them out of fairly dense hard plastic that will probably survive anything the cable would itself survive.

Yeah, 3D printers are printing the same plastics you see used in stuff all around you including ABS(one of the most common) and nylon(really strong).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Sariento is down from $29.99 to $19.99 today. If you've been eyeing it this might be a good time to jump. Supposedly there might be a 2 year anniversary sale in a couple of days.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

yeah dude I dunno how big your playspace is but a pack of $3 hooks and a pack of $3 retractable lanyards does my 2m*2m vive space fine. don't overthink it.

http://amzn.to/2HvTXxo

I bought this when I wanted to go this route. I swapped the sticky hooks for proper screw in j hooks and ya, works great.

Its extra stress on your cable though, Keep this in mind.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena

End list here.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, 3D printers are printing the same plastics you see used in stuff all around you including ABS(one of the most common) and nylon(really strong).

All the black parts in that stock I posted earlier are printed in nylon and I'm honestly surprised how tough they are especially the cups which are pretty thin walled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought Echo Arena was free? In any case, I got it when it was free.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I thought Echo Arena was free? In any case, I got it when it was free.

It is free but that doesn't preclude it from being the best thing in VR, which it is

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

Theres a bunch I would consider, but of the ones I'm seeing on sale right now none of them stand out really. Like someone else said there might be an anniversary sale in several days, probably worth waiting and seeing whats on sale then, or just waiting for some of the really good things to go on sale.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

It is free but that doesn't preclude it from being the best thing in VR, which it is

Here is where you and I disagree. Sure its the best thing available on the Oculus Store (coming from a Rift owner) but I'll amend my previous statement now that you can get Onward on the Oculus store as well.
You should swing back into Stand Out for the next goon slosh op, we'll see if we can fit 6 goons on a motorcycle. mashed, burtlington, halfinax, mjilaeck and myself did some horribly ineffective but also horribly funny Stand Out drops together where we were at least as deadly to each other as the enemy was.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

All the black parts in that stock I posted earlier are printed in nylon and I'm honestly surprised how tough they are especially the cups which are pretty thin walled.

What's that supposed to look like when it's complete? I'm having a hard time imagining how it works.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Here is where you and I disagree. Sure its the best thing available on the Oculus Store (coming from a Rift owner) but I'll amend my previous statement now that you can get Onward on the Oculus store as well.
You should swing back into Stand Out for the next goon slosh op, we'll see if we can fit 6 goons on a motorcycle. mashed, burtlington, halfinax, mjilaeck and myself did some horribly ineffective but also horribly funny Stand Out drops together where we were at least as deadly to each other as the enemy was.

Shooting guns is fine but flying through space and jumping and ducking and boosting is way, way better

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Shooting guns is fine but flying through space and jumping and ducking and boosting is way, way better

MOTOR SHIVA IS NOT A CRIME.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

What's that supposed to look like when it's complete? I'm having a hard time imagining how it works.

Its pretty much a copy of the protube design https://www.protubevr.com/. The controllers slot in the cups from above. You get the support of a stock but without occluding the controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Double post :shepface: