Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Why do I suck with dual daggers on elf? Armored dudes are just much harder with them than glaive and it feels like glaive is better at crowd control anyway so I must be doing something wrong.

Skirt around the edges of the horde with dual daggers, going from one single target to the next. If you are ever within range of 2 rats at once, you need to either push or back off. While you can only kill one at a time, you do so extremely quickly, so they are quite deadly. Always be circling around the enemy group; never stop moving. Regularly hold block and turn around to check your back.

The heavy attacks hit armor pretty hard, you just need to get close. Their fast attack speed also makes them very effective vs shields.

One huge benefit of dual daggers is that you instantly start blocking the moment you hold right click. With other weapons you need to wait a split second for your current attack to finish, meaning that quick reaction blocks aren't super reliable. In a chaotic situation in an open area, dual daggers are my favorite weapon in the game because of this. You want stamina gear/talents. Being host helps too tbh.

Daggers are admittedly fairly weak in a chokepoint. You need room to move around. I haven't used it in VT2, but Sword + Dagger had an okay answer to chokepoint battles in VT1 by spamming the first power attack and backing up between swings. You make sacrifices in other areas with that weapon set though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Two-handed sword is surprisingly great with the elf. Only real downside is that the heavy attack takes a little too long to use because of the animation. The follow-up heavy slash is very quick, however.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I like Kerillian's 2H sword a lot, but it seems to fulfill a very similar niche to the spear while not being quite as good, so I find it difficult to justify using. Both are high mobility, relatively fast-attacking weapons with good range that can easily cut down hordes, but are fairly middling vs armor. But the spear has better range and is quicker. I wish I could use that thing on Saltzpyre instead, since I hate his 2H sword.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The elf 2h sword is really good if you sort of zig-zag through a crowd while using it. Kind of moving with the pattern on its swings.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

staff seems pretty dang neat for boss slayin :swoon:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

for a dwarf using the level 7 class, axe and shield or warhammer and shield?

I like the hammer/shield just so I can maximize the sheer amount of nothing that rats get to do in my general vicinity. Just smack these five guys on the left here in the head with hammer, knock these seven guys on the right on their asses with a shield push, and then just crawl up the rear end in a top hat of any shield rat or special that gets in my general vicinity perpetually stun locking them until a team mate comes by and puts them out of their misery. Never get any circles on the board at the end of the game, but I love just being the most disruptive thing on two legs serving up targets all day long for the more murder oriented team mates. The axe does seem to kill things a bit better, but I love tagging piles of people every time I press M1.

One question, is there a cap on the number of targets affected by a shield push? It seems sometimes with really packed hordes that I can push and hit rats 1 and 3, but miss rat 2 in the middle even though they are at nearly the same distance.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 14, 2018

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

rap music posted:

staff seems pretty dang neat for boss slayin everything :swoon:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Game is great, beamstaff still best staff, Salty no longer cries holy poo poo man! as far as I can tell though so this is kind of a bummer. Also is the elf even more of a jerk than the last game? I remember her being a dick but she is just constantly insulting and I would like to murder her. Bardin still a bro though so that's great and I can't wait to unlock his pistols.

Jimbot posted:

I wish there were more options at the end of a match than "Return to Keep". Need more options like "Leave Party" "Quit Game" "I don't want to sit through a thousand loving loading screens to leave this loving party what the gently caress Fatshark"

When I have a good party I just want to keep the action rolling and even watching chests level up and waiting for stats is annoying. As soon as we're loading from the bridge of shadows give the host:
Quickplay | Play next level | Return to keep | Disband Party | Quit game

And everyone else:
Agree with host selection | Leave party (return to keep alone) | Quit game

And once everyone has selected start loading the next level.

The downtime between matches is kind of long, especially when people I've played the first ratsmasher with keep forgetting you have stand in the bubble this time and don't just autoload in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there a good wiki or guide that explains what all the weapon traits are? Like there's obvious ones but what do weapons with crowd control do for example? Also what is considered a monster?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

-Zydeco- posted:

I like the hammer/shield just so I can maximize the sheer amount of nothing that rats get to do in my general vicinity. Just smack these five guys on the left here in the head with hammer, knock these seven guys on the right on their asses with a shield push, and then just crawl up the rear end in a top hat of any shield rat or special that gets in my general vicinity perpetually stun locking them until a team mate comes by and puts them out of their misery. Never get any circles on the board at the end of the game, but I love just being the most disruptive thing on two legs serving up targets all day long for the more murder oriented team mates. The axe does seem to kill things a bit better, but I love tagging piles of people every time I press M1.

One question, is there a cap on the number of targets affected by a shield push? It seems sometimes with really packed hordes that I can push and hit rats 1 and 3, but miss rat 2 in the middle even though they are at nearly the same distance.

Yea, my friends were giving me poo poo for not having many circles (ranged kills with the handgun (rifle?) though), but I countered that I was doing a lot of CC with shield bash

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As long as your team wins you can't be doing that badly.

Especially if you took a dedicated CC weapon so that people with the huge blenders can blend in peace.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Why does Bounty Hunter have to look so stupid? It really feels like the odd one out thematically, too. Zealot should maybe be more Warrior Priest.

Salty's base model is the coolest, I wish I could just use that as a skin.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Firstborn posted:

Why does Bounty Hunter have to look so stupid? It really feels like the odd one out thematically, too. Zealot should maybe be more Warrior Priest.

Salty's base model is the coolest, I wish I could just use that as a skin.

His outfit is a reference to Brunner, a bounty hunter who starred in a popular series of Warhammer novels.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 14, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

I guess to be fair, the game doesn't explain that friendly fire exists, whether or not Burning Head does FF, or really anything.

This is a great game but Fatshark really needs to do a better job of explaining poo poo in the actual GAME.

Like I have a damage reduction aura on Kruber. How much is that? All I can do is infer that it is less than 20%, because there's a talent that raises it to 20%. Who knows.

They added descriptions of difficulties for vermintide 2, but still forgot to mention the presence of friendly fire on the top two difficulties despite this being the least obvious and most important change between difficulties that needs to be communicated to players

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

FunkMonkey posted:

His outfit is a reference to Brunner, a bounty hunter who starred in a popular series of Warhammer novels.

Hahahahaha
BLOOD & STEEL
BLOOD MONEY
BLOOD OF A DRAGON

BLOOD

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Hahahahaha
BLOOD & STEEL
BLOOD MONEY
BLOOD OF A DRAGON

BLOOD

It's Warhammer.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Does Hagbane bows poison stack with itself and if so in what way? I have no idea if I should be dumping 1 shot into a boss then waiting a few seconds or if spamming is the way to go.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

AnEdgelord posted:

Is it worth getting this game if I don't have anyone to play it with yet? I'm currently trying to get my normal multiplayer group to play this but they are legendarily stubborn when it comes to adopting new games (particularly on pc), but I still want to play it because its warhammer, has skaven, looks pretty and is :krad:
I've pub stomped all the way into Champion with minimal toxicity. That said the match making can be extremely annoying, it frequently drops you into groups already bad off and sometimes even already dead. I wish they'd add a way to only jump into new matches.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I don't know what setting I have but I have only ever matched into new matches starting at Taal's keep using Quickplay. I've only gotten into matches that are in progress when I've joined their lobby directly.

Also with 2 characters at Level 17 and 20 respectively I've just met one toxic player and that game lasted like 5 minutes before we failed. Every other match has been wonderful in terms of teamwork and communication.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fighting Bodvarr with the Slayer Axes was fun as hell. Dude was not worthy of being Bardin's mighty doom.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bardin jumping into a pile of poo poo and getting owned? Yawn.
Saltzpyre charging off a cliff? Boring.
The elf ragequitting because you're "stealing all the kills" as Sienna? loving PRICELESS.

I love this game sometimes. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like hit detection on melee headshots is better and more precise than in Ratfight 1.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I thought I was the only one who had the temple of Sigmar part turn into Quake 3 graphics mode. I finally took screenshots last night to explain to my friends and they all laughed at me cos it looks normal to them. :(

It looked perfectly normal in the closed beta if a bit dark.

Also the rats that spawn out of the hole near the entry door completely spaz out in a mess of stretched limbs spinning around at the speed of light lol.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Bardin jumping into a pile of poo poo and getting owned? Yawn.
Saltzpyre charging off a cliff? Boring.
The elf ragequitting because you're "stealing all the kills" as Sienna? loving PRICELESS.

I love this game sometimes. :allears:

I empathize, I've rage quit when I think someone's going to edge me out on most damage received.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

comatose posted:

I thought I was the only one who had the temple of Sigmar part turn into Quake 3 graphics mode. I finally took screenshots last night to explain to my friends and they all laughed at me cos it looks normal to them. :(

holy poo poo wth did you do?

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I too have the dark souls 2 graphics temple curse. I swear I was able to see it in normal graphics the first time I played it on release, but it's been in quake 2 mode ever since.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Hi everyone I just got this game and it's great but what does "tagging" an enemy mean re: witch hunter's passive? Is it just that repeatedly hitting the same guy ups your damage?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xad posted:

Hi everyone I just got this game and it's great but what does "tagging" an enemy mean re: witch hunter's passive? Is it just that repeatedly hitting the same guy ups your damage?

Nope, use the T key to highlight a bad man and enjoy!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

comatose posted:

It looked perfectly normal in the closed beta if a bit dark.

Also the rats that spawn out of the hole near the entry door completely spaz out in a mess of stretched limbs spinning around at the speed of light lol.

Turn ambient light up to "high".

If it already says high, you might have to switch it to med, apply, then back to high.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Or better yet, rebind that poo poo to some unused extra mouse button.

(It's real real useful, even if you're not the witch hunter... searching for elites, tagging bile trolls so they can be seen even by people covered in vomit, tracking assassins...)

e: Also works on item pickups, so you can tell your friends where heal pots are hidden.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Thank you, I will! :tipshat:

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Tag Everything All The Time

Makes landing headshots easier for the whole team.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do people start collecting all the tomes and grimoires on veteran difficulty or higher? All these commoner and merchant strongboxes are really a waste of time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When should I move on from Recruit to Veteran? I just joined a game as a level 5 Bardin as soon as I got Hero Score 120, and, well, did not last long. I don't know if I sucked or the team did. Probably both.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 14, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

When should I move on from Recruit to Veteran? I just joined a game as a level 5 Bardin as soon as I got Hero Score 120, and, well, did not last long. I don't know if I sucked or the team did. Probably both.

Veteran honestly isn't that much of a step up from recruit, join when you can. The real difference is between veteran and Champion, mostly due to the introduction of friendly fire.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Baiard posted:

Tag Everything All The Time

Makes landing headshots easier for the whole team.

:confused: How was I supposed to know this? I don’t think it was in the tutorial.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Node posted:

Do people start collecting all the tomes and grimoires on veteran difficulty or higher? All these commoner and merchant strongboxes are really a waste of time.

People absolutely go for the tomes/grimoires in veteran, and it is irritating to no end. Higher rarity gear doesn't really matter until you open enough boxes to reach power 300 stuff since you replace your junk so often. If you all die because some idiot took the second grim in a group that was struggling (and probably ran off all by himself to do it), you get no loot and have made no progress towards max power equipment where rarity is actually a worthwhile goal. Even in the short term, your next box will have lower power loot than it would have had if you succeeded originally, which probably would have been more valuable than that extra +2.8% damage vs berserkers you could've gotten on a blue instead of a green.

Guaran-loving-tee that if your party has 3 people below level 8 and they're all on death's door, you're gonna hear that grimoire sound cue. I might start rushing down grims myself solely to pick them up and destroy them.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Pirate Radar posted:

:confused: How was I supposed to know this? I don’t think it was in the tutorial.

This game really needs some tutorial for the basics. I never played the first one. I didn't even know you could block and save someone at the same time or block and hold leftclick for a counterattack after shoving. Even venting heat on Sienna I only found out after someone else mentioned it. Apparently the rapier has a pistol or something that comes along with it that I never found out how to use.

Telling us other things wouldn't hurt either. I would like to know what my stats are and what my talents do.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Higher rarity gear actually has a higher chance of having unique skins/illusions, so if you care about that, it makes sense going for the tomes and grims even on lower levels.
You also get more crafting mats from scavenging rarer stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I've saved up a ton of leveling coffers (like 40+) should I open them all as soon as I'm 200+ gear to start the boost to 300? Or grind out champ to 300 then open em all for a shot at good oranges/reds?