Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How do you break a grimoire? I want to be loving doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I saved a bunch for when I maxed out veteran boxes and it jumped me from 200 to 250, so that seems like a smart way to do it since champ boxes will be scarce and anything higher then 200 will make champion easier.

I just wish that doing higher difficulties increased the hero power on items faster, doesn't seem much point to open champion boxes if your not past 200 on vet boxes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Rascyc posted:

How do you break a grimoire? I want to be loving doing that.

If it works the same way as the first game you select the grimoire so you are holding it and left click.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I spent some time last night on Merc Kruber trying to get from level 10 to 12 and I learned some things.

I learned the trick to using the halberd, which is that you don't really need the charged attack??? It's pretty good with spamming light swings and it's just the second light swing that doesn't pierce armor unless you're aiming.

I also learned that Kruber's handgun is piercing, and that you can kill a plague monk with a headshot, and that you can kill three plague monks with one shot.

I also learned that you can go through a level as Ironbreaker with the drake pistols and get 240 ranged kills and one melee kill.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Had a game last night where the elf (lvl 30) ran ahead and got stabbed, then started calling us out in chat when the witch hunter got grabbed and we took more than 1 second to kill the hookrat. When the dorf and me began answering back he ragequitted and dumped us to the start of the level.

Then I get a steam message from the dwarf and we chase the guy across servers, laughing at him for being a big baby.

The community is great, as long as they don’t play elf.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What's the preferred woodelf ranged weapon setup, swiftbow or longbow, and ammo on crits, headshots or career resource the better orange trait?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I learned the trick to using the halberd, which is that you don't really need the charged attack??? It's pretty good with spamming light swings and it's just the second light swing that doesn't pierce armor unless you're aiming.

The Halberd is so good, I'm kinda expecting a nerf for it one day. IMO the heavy swing is great for proccing Paced Strikes on an incoming wave, but using it regularly definitely needs you to be in the optimal position for a halberdier, ie. right behind a tank.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

In non-whining-about elves stuff, what's your melee weapon of choice for Sienna? I'm enjoying the Apprentice Sword's charged strikes for CC and covering my teammate's backs so far. The Flaming Sword seems thematic as gently caress, but I hate the hand grab. Can't seem to hit things with it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Vargs posted:

People absolutely go for the tomes/grimoires in veteran, and it is irritating to no end. Higher rarity gear doesn't really matter until you open enough boxes to reach power 300 stuff since you replace your junk so often. If you all die because some idiot took the second grim in a group that was struggling (and probably ran off all by himself to do it), you get no loot and have made no progress towards max power equipment where rarity is actually a worthwhile goal. Even in the short term, your next box will have lower power loot than it would have had if you succeeded originally, which probably would have been more valuable than that extra +2.8% damage vs berserkers you could've gotten on a blue instead of a green.

Guaran-loving-tee that if your party has 3 people below level 8 and they're all on death's door, you're gonna hear that grimoire sound cue. I might start rushing down grims myself solely to pick them up and destroy them.

gonna disagree a little bit here, you'll want to get a decent sized stash of green/blue/orange powders for rerolling stats and traits and every 100 item power level or so craft a desirable orange weapon imo - makes the road to power level 300 items from chests smoother and more fun

getting a heat sink staff on pyro sienna or a 20% attack speed for 5 seconds on crit for a crit focused melee class makes a world of difference

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've seen a lot of stressing out over the boss monsters over the last few days so i wrote a steam guide for it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1330509363

it opens up with the boss monster video that lune and i did but if you are anti-video guide there's 3190 actual factual words directly after it so don't stress

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I like tanky dwarf, any tips on playing him so
I'm useful? I got a bunch of stamina so I'm mostly knocking down groups of enemies and using my active ability when we're getting overwhelmed.

I also try shielding and rezing when I can.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elderbean posted:

I like tanky dwarf, any tips on playing him so
I'm useful? I got a bunch of stamina so I'm mostly knocking down groups of enemies and using my active ability when we're getting overwhelmed.

I also try shielding and rezing when I can.

Congrats you’re useful, keep it up

Maybe bring a grudge raker so you can shoot the sneakier specials or smth but beyond that you’re good

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I really hate how when you level and get all the grims and tomes you don't get to the see the drat stat screen. poo poo takes so long the timer is already over and it just kicks you back to the dumb keep. I'd rather just see the stat screen and skip the boring lootbox crap.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I would rather there be a "leave lobby" option next to "return to keep", but it's just kind of annoying waiting for your lot box to upgrade

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fat Samurai posted:

In non-whining-about elves stuff, what's your melee weapon of choice for Sienna? I'm enjoying the Apprentice Sword's charged strikes for CC and covering my teammate's backs so far. The Flaming Sword seems thematic as gently caress, but I hate the hand grab. Can't seem to hit things with it.

Usually I have to switch off from my LASER STICK when I'm beginning to get surrounded, which is often just some horde chaff, so I roll with the dagger for a faster attack.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the dagger is the way to go for me. the first charged strike is an aoe knockback you can fire off -> block -> fire off again to lock down crowds, and the second charged strike's stab actually does a pretty impressive chunk of damage against heads, and both come out a lot faster than the flaming sword's equivalent crowd control swings or getting to the third strike of the arming sword's combo for headshotting an armored dude.

i think some people in this thread swear by the mace but i absolutely loathe how the starter to both combos is an overhead, not having any sort of get out of my personal space attack available as a first swing is a deal breaker to me

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just roll with the normal longsword because I am boring.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

So here's something real dumb.

For the fastest exp in the game by far, just die as quickly as possible on recruit.

1) Pick a class with a dash (Slayer, Foot Knight, Handmaiden, Zealot, Battle Wizard)
2) Choose Hunger in the Dark on Recruit
3) Wait for your ult to charge
4) Dash off the cliff right at the start
5) Collect 100xp

It takes me 1:20 to do this from keep to keep, factoring in the loading screens.

A full tome + grim completion on recruit is 660 exp, and takes on average 20 minutes. Just jumping off the cliff for 20 minutes will net you about 1500 exp. Even though Champ has a 150% exp modifier, you get less for dying.

PRO E-SPORTS STRATS

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I was going to post about how I had no real problems with the community, then I just had a game where I died against a troll right before the end and one of the players stood outside the gate and started a kick vote so I wouldn't get my rewards.

Tom Gorman posted:

For the fastest exp in the game by far, just die as quickly as possible on recruit.

1) Pick a class with a dash (Slayer, Foot Knight, Handmaiden, Zealot, Battle Wizard)
5) Collect 100xp

It takes me 1:20 to do this from keep to keep, factoring in the loading screens.

A full tome + grim completion on recruit is 660 exp, and takes on average 20 minutes. Just jumping off the cliff for 20 minutes will net you about 1500 exp. Even though Champ has a 150% exp modifier, you get less for dying.

PRO E-SPORTS STRATS

100% speedrun when?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

How do you assist teammates? I got some equipment which activates on assists. Is it just saving them from specials?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmm, really? I found the hand attack to have a pretty decent range, and the knockback on it is very good. Maybe I was just comparing it to the beta, and I don't actually understand ranges anymore. I'm having fun with my deliberate avoidance of cheese fireball/fire sword.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

How do you assist teammates? I got some equipment which activates on assists. Is it just saving them from specials?

Right now its only from saving them from specials, but back in V1 you used to get assists for killing enemies about to hit your teammates. I only hope they add that back in because any trait or talent that requires you to assist someone is wasted with the current setup.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does the shotgun blast for the beam staff have friendly fire on Champion?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does the shotgun blast for the beam staff have friendly fire on Champion?

if it's not an attack performed by a melee weapon, it has friendly fire on champion

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want more numbers in the passives. More explanations. Does the WHC passive work if another party member tags it? What if they tag it, then you tag it? How much even is it?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

5) Collect 100xp

PRO E-SPORTS STRATS

This is amusing. How fast would the XP be if you haven’t unlocked a dash ability and had to just die normally?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Firstborn posted:

I want more numbers in the passives. More explanations. Does the WHC passive work if another party member tags it? What if they tag it, then you tag it? How much even is it?

Yes, it works on any tagged enemy, and I believe it's about +25%, which is pretty hefty.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

pmchem posted:

This is amusing. How fast would the XP be if you haven’t unlocked a dash ability and had to just die normally?

You won't be able to die fast enough to make it efficient. You can't just jump off the cliff (you'll hang off the edge and your bots will pull you up). You need the dash to achieve optimal DPM (Deaths per Minute).

Unfortunately if you don't have a dash the fastest way to get exp is to play the game normally.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AggressivelyStupid posted:

dual daggers are terrible so don't use them

Daggers are cool and good but once you learn to love the long shafts you never go back.

The spear's block + attack + stam regen on shieldmaiden means you can just hold block and then spam push+attack for days. I have a bunch of +stam gear and block/push % + talent. It feels like I'm blocking/pushing things at a wider angle than my FOV right now.

Anyone know what the base push/block angles are?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

Daggers are cool and good but once you learn to love the long shafts you never go back.

The spear's block + attack + stam regen on shieldmaiden means you can just hold block and then spam push+attack for days. I have a bunch of +stam gear and block/push % + talent. It feels like I'm blocking/pushing things at a wider angle than my FOV right now.

it don't know if they're 1:1 representations but there's little blue icons on each weapon that are supposed to represent their block angles. the standard seems to be about 90 degrees, with the shields having 180 degrees.

it's supposed to be a little person with an arc above it but i think it looks like a fancy helmet or something

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

it don't know if they're 1:1 representations but there's little blue icons on each weapon that are supposed to represent their block angles. the standard seems to be about 90 degrees, with the shields having 180 degrees.

it's supposed to be a little person with an arc above it but i think it looks like a fancy helmet or something
I want to know why some have a line straight down the middle and some don't.

E: I also want to know if +push/block increased the shield coverage past 180. It should but it just sits in my head making me wonder.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 14, 2018

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
In terms of getting loot, I've been hearing that it is more productive to actually just complete missions quickly, rather than worry about tomes+grims. So far most higher level Vet games and all the Champion games I've been in have skipped the books (which means Salty's abjure temptation would probably be more than a bit useless).

Stanley Pain posted:

I've been wondering that too. I've gotten a number of items that boost push/block angles and I'm not sure I really notice the effect. Perhaps it would be more noticeable on a weapon like a shield?

And, sort of unrelated, but the falchion seems to have ap which doesn't quite make sense but does make the weapon even easier to use than in VT1. I still think the rapier may be more versatile for crowds and the axe getting shield breaking capabilities is nice, but the falchion seems to be a bit brainless to use. Just slide a little bit here and there and whack away at stuff.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tom Gorman posted:

5) Collect 100xp

PRO E-SPORTS STRATS

i'm... i'm totally going to do this just to get the bright wizard to 10.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tom Gorman posted:

5) Collect 100xp

PRO E-SPORTS STRATS

This won't help your item power level though.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

This won't help your item power level though.

Its great for leveling a character to a decent level if you're past 200 though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
To everyone complaining about Sienna thinning the hordes a little while you jump in front of her (and obviously NOT her roasting you all while you're actually fighting the hordes because THAT would never happen) every time one of you trigger happy simpletons wings her with errant ranged attacks the likelihood of her going into an overdrive-based-meltdown and destroying half the Reikland increases starkly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Agrajag posted:

i'm... i'm totally going to do this just to get the bright wizard to 10.

I decided to try this to unlock Pyromancer just now and I can't seem to use Fire Walk to get off the ledge. She just refuses to activate it.

e: Got it to work by strafing sideways while activating it instead of charging forward.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 14, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fire Barrel posted:

In terms of getting loot, I've been hearing that it is more productive to actually just complete missions quickly, rather than worry about tomes+grims. So far most higher level Vet games and all the Champion games I've been in have skipped the books (which means Salty's abjure temptation would probably be more than a bit useless).

The lobby browser is your friend. Just jump in already started matches.

EDIT: Unless you're the elf, of course

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I decided to try this to unlock Pyromancer just now and I can't seem to use Fire Walk to get off the ledge. She just refuses to activate it.

I just tried it too and yeah fire walk doesn't seem to work, so scratch that one. I didn't try it with Sienna since I have her leveled already, I just assumed it would work the same. It definitely works for the other 4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

I just tried it too and yeah fire walk doesn't seem to work, so scratch that one. I didn't try it with Sienna since I have her leveled already, I just assumed it would work the same. It definitely works for the other 4 though.

No, it actually might. I just got it to work by strafing while activating so I'll check again if it works and post back.

e: Now I'm just getting caught on the edge instead of falling off, so its definitely more trouble than its worth with Sienna. She can probably just overheat a few times and die that way.

e2: except I only get 3 exp for doing that. Too much trouble, I'll just keep playing normally.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2018