Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Against bosses, does channelling the beam staff do more DPS than repeated detonations? They mostly move and jiggle around too much to score reliable headshots. And it's obviously more heat-efficient. But does anyone have a DPS comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

it don't know if they're 1:1 representations but there's little blue icons on each weapon that are supposed to represent their block angles. the standard seems to be about 90 degrees, with the shields having 180 degrees.

it's supposed to be a little person with an arc above it but i think it looks like a fancy helmet or something

Ah that icon. Cool thanks. :thumbsup:

Fire Barrel posted:

I've been wondering that too. I've gotten a number of items that boost push/block angles and I'm not sure I really notice the effect. Perhaps it would be more noticeable on a weapon like a shield?

I'm really noticing a difference on certain weapons. It really depends on how they calculate the block/push angle from the base (additive vs. multiplicative). So something with a really narrow angle won't get all that much from gear but things with a wider angle will. I'll have to check this out later tonight.

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

I just tried it too and yeah fire walk doesn't seem to work, so scratch that one. I didn't try it with Sienna since I have her leveled already, I just assumed it would work the same. It definitely works for the other 4 though.

If you don't want to wait for Sienna's ult, you can face the edge and overheat until you down yourself and you'll just fall off the side.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zephro posted:

Against bosses, does channelling the beam staff do more DPS than repeated detonations? They mostly move and jiggle around too much to score reliable headshots. And it's obviously more heat-efficient. But does anyone have a DPS comparison?
repeated detonations will definitely 100% outpace a standard beam by a wide margin, but people were talking about how currently the beam rolls once to see if it's a critical hit or not and then stays one or the other as long as you continue to channel it, which i didn't know. it's possible if you can get yourself a crit beam going and then just keep it on its head that'll put you way ahead of detonations but i'm not sure myself.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Daggers are cool and good but once you learn to love the long shafts you never go back.

The spear's block + attack + stam regen on shieldmaiden means you can just hold block and then spam push+attack for days. I have a bunch of +stam gear and block/push % + talent. It feels like I'm blocking/pushing things at a wider angle than my FOV right now.

Anyone know what the base push/block angles are?

How do you "push"? I know about blocking before an attack causes the enemy to be knocked back/stunned but is there some other push thing I am missing?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

How do you "push"? I know about blocking before an attack causes the enemy to be knocked back/stunned but is there some other push thing I am missing?

Yes, it's covered in the tutorial. Hold block and then left click. It will use a stamina and push back everything around you. Super useful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just to add, pushes come out really quick but cost block stamina to use. most (all? i think it was only a couple specific weapons in vermintide 1 but it seems to be every one i can think of in 2) weapons will also have a quick follow up attack if you hold the click down while pushing, which also can come out pretty quick and might have different qualities than just starting a light attack combo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm trying to reason with some friends of mine who are swearing that Veteran is broken because of "unfair spawns" and they read it on Reddit therefore it's true because they kept losing last night. "But we had a level 23 mage who said he'd carry us and we were still losing!"

I'm trying to diplomatically say that it doesn't matter what your power level is, if you suck at the fundamentals of the game you're going to lose over and over again. Even moreso if they're expecting to be able to be carried through a level by someone with a slightly higher level. They then joined me and we lost 2 matches on Vet because everyone was spread apart when hordes came, which in their eyes was evidence of the game being broken.

This game will end friendships, I swear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
interestingly enough, doing the suicide dash lets you know your exact hp total from the damage taken.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'll paypal someone five bucks if they make an AHK script that does this over and over automatically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh and i just thought of something else that should be mandatory to tell every new player to this game: go into the options menu and set player outlines to "always on", instead of just "on". do this right now. i don't care if it feels like cheating go do it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When should I start upgrading weapons? I'm sitting on a pile of crafting materials and so far my highest dude is level 12

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

just to add, pushes come out really quick but cost block stamina to use. most (all? i think it was only a couple specific weapons in vermintide 1 but it seems to be every one i can think of in 2) weapons will also have a quick follow up attack if you hold the click down while pushing, which also can come out pretty quick and might have different qualities than just starting a light attack combo
Oh, poo poo, I didn't know that. So to do that, hold RMB, then hold LMB to block -> push -> follow-up attack?

explosivo posted:

I'm trying to diplomatically say that it doesn't matter what your power level is, if you suck at the fundamentals of the game you're going to lose over and over again. Even moreso if they're expecting to be able to be carried through a level by someone with a slightly higher level. They then joined me and we lost 2 matches on Vet because everyone was spread apart when hordes came, which in their eyes was evidence of the game being broken.

Yeah, I've got a friend who is about the same level as me. We're playing with a 3rd guy who never played 1 and is coming along alright. We're generally winning levels, but the other guy is "winning" in most categories, including damage taken. The new guy is playing more like him than me and I want to play with these guys on higher difficulties but they're just focusing on killing more instead of taking less damage from hordes and killing specials ASAP. At least I'm convincing people to try to fight in chokes and not push out as the horde thins but they both keep thinking some of newguy's early difficulties were based on gear and level instead of basic game stuff like dodging, blocking, and pushing. Or, even stuff like keeping ranged ammo around to snipe specials (this may be me because I'm using BH and a volleybow for maximum "gently caress you blue-glowing targets"). Gear and level helps for sure, but it isn't everything.

e:

Blast of Confetti posted:

When should I start upgrading weapons? I'm sitting on a pile of crafting materials and so far my highest dude is level 12
If you've got a blue item you really like the mechanics of and a class you're focusing on, it can be worth upgrading to an orange weapon for them. If you're leveling a bunch of classes, I'd consider upgrading one of the trinket slots. I think they map to item slots 3/4/5, so upgrade whichever goes in the 3rd slot if you want an ability that modifies health items, the 4th slot for modified potions, and the 5th for modified bombs. Roughly. I'm not much farther along than you but its not like I was doing too much with that item and you'll still get some use out of an orange when you out-level it because you can scrap it for orange dust. If you think its fun, go for it! The only loot-related thing I think people should do is probably hold off on opening commendation chests but even then its not super important.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 14, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know that. So to do that, hold RMB, then hold LMB to block -> push -> follow-up attack?

Yes.

Although my follow up question is, does anyone find this useful? I feel like I never really see a need for it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

explosivo posted:

I'm trying to reason with some friends of mine who are swearing that Veteran is broken because of "unfair spawns" and they read it on Reddit therefore it's true because they kept losing last night. "But we had a level 23 mage who said he'd carry us and we were still losing!"

They probably don't even think Skaven are real. Are they saying that the rat beastmen are taking them down? Big sign they might be rubes.

Cowcaster posted:

oh and i just thought of something else that should be mandatory to tell every new player to this game: go into the options menu and set player outlines to "always on", instead of just "on". do this right now. i don't care if it feels like cheating go do it.

I don't do this because my absolute favourite thing to do in this game is turn around and go "Where is everyone?!"

It's a rhetorical question, the answer is "To Fuckoff Valley to get a bottle of leave RoboKy fighting enemies"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes.

Although my follow up question is, does anyone find this useful? I feel like I never really see a need for it.

off the top of my head, the spear's push attack is a swipe instead of a stab, so it can be useful for hitting multiple rats when you're shoving back hordes. i'm sure there's a few other niche cases like that.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 14, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Spear swipe attack is the best bit of the spear, can absolutely blend a swarm.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yes, it's covered in the tutorial. Hold block and then left click. It will use a stamina and push back everything around you. Super useful.

Thanks, I obviously wasn't paying much attention when I did the tutorial.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cowcaster posted:

repeated detonations will definitely 100% outpace a standard beam by a wide margin, but people were talking about how currently the beam rolls once to see if it's a critical hit or not and then stays one or the other as long as you continue to channel it, which i didn't know. it's possible if you can get yourself a crit beam going and then just keep it on its head that'll put you way ahead of detonations but i'm not sure myself.
Thanks. Keeping it on the head seems almost impossible, though, given how much the bosses move around in combat. Or maybe I'm just bad

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Zephro posted:

Thanks. Keeping it on the head seems almost impossible, though, given how much the bosses move around in combat. Or maybe I'm just bad
No, I struggle too. You basically just have to try your best to keep the beam on target and then right click as soon as you hear the headshot click noise.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I don't do this because my absolute favourite thing to do in this game is turn around and go "Where is everyone?!"

It's a rhetorical question, the answer is "To Fuckoff Valley to get a bottle of leave RoboKy fighting enemies"

Good news! This will still happen with outlines on.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good news! This will still happen with outlines on.

Yeah but if I already know at a glance I can't ask the rhetorical question.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah but if I already know at a glance I can't ask the rhetorical question.

This.

"Where's Tim?" *looks around* "Oh of course, he's sniping rats from all the way across the field. And now he's surrounded. And now he's down. And we're all dead."

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
You got a friend who is bad at this game? I do too, have them watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs7V_quitpk

These guys are real smart and know the game good and even though it was for V1 it still applies

oh also yes it was made by ppl in this thread.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yes.

On Champion with about 460 power level my Push + Attack with a spear one shots skaven slaves and the "zombies". My stamina regen is so fast than I can spam it almost as fast as my regular LMB attacks. This means I can be constantly blocking, staggering and killing things. It's really drat great and has made me a Handmaiden convert. I'm pretty sure that the Handmaiden either has more base HP OR there's some kinda of armour damage reduction based on class. As a Shade (Champ difficulty) if I get hit once or twice I REALLY notice the missing health, but as a Handmaiden I can eat a hit or two without really breaking a sweat.

Edit:

On top of that the spear's normal stabs and the push attacks further stagger things. Never not be staggering ;)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

jubelio posted:

You got a friend who is bad at this game? I do too, have them watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs7V_quitpk

These guys are real smart and know the game good and even though it was for V1 it still applies

oh also yes it was made by ppl in this thread.

Thanks! We do have a VT2-focused video now, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2rEpUhRv8 - it specifically calls out that video you linked as still mostly relevant and provides a link to it so we agree with your assessment!

also regarding pushing: one of the biggest incongruities right now imo is that on Recruit and to a large extent Veteran, pushing actively doesn't feel helpful because things die pretty quick and don't do a horrific amount of damage. Combined with the relative abundance of healing items, it feels a lot better to just kill more rats and move on. This stops being the case in Champion, hard. Certain classes can end up taking 25% of their total health from a single slave rat attack, and while health doesn't go up that much, you will see many more instances of the 3rd or 4th enemy hit surviving instead of keeling over from a big, sweeping strike. These things combine to make pushing a huge relief, especially when you're getting surrounded. An Ironbreaker or Foot Knight is actively a one-man shield wall and will stop the envelopment from happening.

If you REALLY don't feel helpful, go on an easy level that you enjoy doing (Righteous Stand, for example) with a shield weapon that is blue. Now upgrade it to orange and reroll until you get the trait Off Balance. Jump into another run of that easy level and tell your team that your shield has Off Balance on it. You won't just see the difference, you will FEEL it as hordes that crash against your shield just loving splorch from being hit by the team blenders.

The end game stat screen really does need to do a better job of communicating the worth of the team controllers, because if anything they are more important and more badass than they ever were in VT1.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 14, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Knight Kruber with an orange mace and shield with Off Balance, regularly headbutting the poo poo out of bosses to let others attack them in between all his other knightly duties, is worth his weight in gold.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So I heard that the orange traits on melee weapons work even when put away, which means the slayer can get 2x orange traits working and double off-balance or swift slaying, anyone know if that works?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fat Samurai posted:

The community is great, as long as they don’t play elf.

New thread title.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Knight Kruber with an orange mace and shield with Off Balance, regularly headbutting the poo poo out of bosses to let others attack them in between all his other knightly duties, is worth his weight in gold.
Got off balance on an executioner sword I upgraded and even that seems really neat as long as you know when to block a boss hit.

Though I guess I haven't looked at the list of possible traits to know what other options there are.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Off Balance is never, ever a bad idea.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Night10194 posted:

This is also my main, only Halberd. Charge is the best and most fun active by far, for me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

You can definitely go into a recruit game at hero power 500+ and one shot a chaos warrior with the dwarf 2h axe. Played with some friends who were just starting out and wanted to show them how to dwarf.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

Got off balance on an executioner sword I upgraded and even that seems really neat as long as you know when to block a boss hit.

Though I guess I haven't looked at the list of possible traits to know what other options there are.
Having just glanced at them, Swift Slaying (crits give 5s of 20% attack speed), Off-Balance (blocking an attack makes the attacker take 50% more damage for 3s) and Resourceful Combatant (crits give 2% active resource back) seem like the best 3 melee options depending on class, items, talents, and role, with the first two being probably the most useful. Any of those three seem really good though, while the others seem situational, weak, or both.

e: https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/13/warhammer-vemintide-2-weapon-traits-item-traits/ Here's the list I looked at.

Other standouts:
Ranged ones all seem really good or middling depending on what you want to do with it. A sniper weapon with Barrage seems silly, while Scrounger on a BH seems either unnecessary or stupidly good depending on how it interacts with the free shots from Blessed Shot.

The healer ones all seem useful except for Barkskin, though Natural Bond might be a bit rough if you don't have a good source of temp health or allies who aren't willing to heal you. Pairing it with someone using Hand of Shallya seems decent.

All of the potion ones seem good, though getting all three effects at half-duration might be the most broadly useful.

Shrapnel seems like the most useful grenade boost. 20% increased damage to anyone hit by a bomb seems like it turns Firepots into a horde-clearer that also lets you kill elites hit by it more easily, while frag bombs get even more powerfully "gently caress you" to bosses/elite hordes. Increased area isn't bad, but things like the 25% chance to not lose a bomb on use just seems too RNG for my taste.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 14, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Beamstaff is stupid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you get red items before your lvl 30 if your hero power is up to 300? Getting close to having all classes at lvl 25 and wanted to know.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone else had the issue since the last patch that crits aren't giving temp health if you have the talent selected? The talent for kills giving health still works but the crit talent seems bugged for me plus one of my friends that I play with.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You can definitely go into a recruit game at hero power 500+ and one shot a chaos warrior with the dwarf 2h axe. Played with some friends who were just starting out and wanted to show them how to dwarf.

You can, you can just also do this at HP 200. This is straight from the developer Hedge and has been confirmed in the game LUA. You probably got a crit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Other standouts:
Ranged ones all seem really good or middling depending on what you want to do with it. A sniper weapon with Barrage seems silly, while Scrounger on a BH seems either unnecessary or stupidly good depending on how it interacts with the free shots from Blessed Shot.
It's stupid good. The free shots from Blessed remain free, and the crit counts for scrounger. You can get 6 bolts back with one blessed shot alt fire if you aim it right. If you run out of ammo as BH Saltzpyre you have made a very big mistake.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Beamstaff is stupid.

I played a game of recruit where I literally just followed behind a Sienna all game while she beamed everything to death. At one point I just resigned to being a mild distraction for bosses and gutter and hookrats

It was probably the most unfun the game has ever been so far, but I'm sure it was a BLAST for the Sienna player.