Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't seen Go either but I've been meaning to for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Counterpoint: my ex got motion sickness from the first Bourne movie, and I didn't mind walking out at all. Every shot was either shaky can or two heads filling the entire screen, except for the cutaways to the JLaw of that moment sitting in a telephone switching room.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

brocked posted:

except for the cutaways to the JLaw of that moment sitting in a telephone switching room.

Julia Styles!?!? She was absoutely not the "J-Law" of 2002, my dude.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LOL I forgot she existed at all until this very post. Her and everyone else was so bad in the Omen remake.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Julia Stiles was extremely hot and the last Bourne film ended on a sour note for me by killing her off and having a lovely final fight with Vincent Cassel. That's all I have to contribute.

Edit: Now I feel all gooey and nostalgic for Letters to Cleo and poo poo, goddamn you cursed 90s

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Save The Last Dance made over 125 million.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

That's her name! I was thinking it was Leelee Sobieski or one of the other interchangeable blondes Hollywood cycles through about every 10 years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Save The Last Dance made over 125 million.

Dude! The Hunger Games did that in, like, a weekend.

brocked posted:

That's her name! I was thinking it was Leelee Sobieski or one of the other interchangeable blondes Hollywood cycles through about every 10 years.

Leelee Sobieski was the forbidden fruit in Eyes Wide Shut and did a great job! She was not interchangeable! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dude! The Hunger Games did that in, like, a weekend.

Oh yea, sorry I was just throwing that out there apropos of nothing. Just thought it was surprising. Anyway it was made for like 10 mil so I'd consider that a pretty big hit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, sorry I was just throwing that out there apropos of nothing. Just thought it was surprising. Anyway it was made for like 10 mil so I'd consider that a pretty big hit.

Absolutely! sorry about the crossed wires.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like that I googled both Stiles and Sobieski and "Why Hollywood Won't Cast [Name] Anymore" was on the first page of results both times. As if a popular young actress seeing her career wither away in her late 20s is in any way peculiar.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Would the best compromise here be to try and mix the two approaches, a la The Raid or the aforementioned Killzone 2? Essentially wild OTT poo poo that still ends up looking brutal as all hell.

This and a lot of Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan era movies.

Also, one of the things I enjoyed about Flash Point was the traditional MA vs more mma style of Yen's character. Blade is a good one. Blade is always a good one.

I feel like the Bourne movies and Nolan's Batmen were an over correction after a long period of action movies aping Crouching Tiger and the Matrix.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 14, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I like that I googled both Stiles and Sobieski and "Why Hollywood Won't Cast [Name] Anymore" was on the first page of results both times. As if a popular young actress seeing her career wither away in her late 20s is in any way peculiar.

The one I always see is Brendan Fraser.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

With Fraser they always want to imply it had something to do with that video of him failing to clap correctly, but really it was that he got fat and doughy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I feel like the Bourne movies and Nolan's Batmen were an over correction after a long period of action movies aping Crouching Tiger and the Matrix.
Definitely. Bourne started a trend, indulged by people who often didn't question why they were using that style of cinematography. But The Matrix almost immediately got to the point where its style was being parodied in low-effort comedies, and that kept happening for years after the joke stopped being funny.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bourne is weird because the action in the first movie is fairly clean and clearly edited, and had quite a bit of praise lumped on the coreography.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a big piece in (I think) Vanity Fair recently interviewing Fraser, and he talks about being sexually harassed by some important guy from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (the Golden Globes lot) in much the same way that Terry Crews was by a powerful agent more recently, and is certain that trying to kick up a stink about it got him shuffled off the A-list. Well worth a read.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think there was also something about him getting seriously injured on a movie set in that article as well, which also contributed to him being less able to take on leading man roles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

I think there was also something about him getting seriously injured on a movie set in that article as well, which also contributed to him being less able to take on leading man roles.

He had to have multiple back and knee surgeries because of his stunt work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's one of the stars of FX's next prestige drama, the one about the Getty kidnapping.

Although speaking of Highlander and different versions reminded me of how the original trailer for the 4th movie had a ton of FX shots in it that never made it into the movie and didn't really have a place in the version that got put to theaters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Although speaking of Highlander and different versions reminded me of how the original trailer for the 4th movie had a ton of FX shots in it that never made it into the movie and didn't really have a place in the version that got put to theaters.

Those bits (like Connor in the exploding crystal ball, or Connor and Duncan jumping through a portal) were literally shot and produced for the trailer.

Yes, they blew part of their already cartoonishly limited effects budget on stuff that would only be seen in the trailer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This and a lot of Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan era movies.

Also, one of the things I enjoyed about Flash Point was the traditional MA vs more mma style of Yen's character. Blade is a good one. Blade is always a good one.

It was that they were aping them without fully understanding them. Both are fantasy films in different ways, which is why the action looks the way it does. In the Matrix, it's a program running 'fight.exe' with people that can break the rules. In the other, it's set a long time ago. Good fight man and colossal rear end in a top hat Donnie Yen has a rule that the further ago something is set, the more people fly. It generally holds true

Leelee Sobieski was the forbidden fruit in Eyes Wide Shut and did a great job! She was not interchangeable! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Leelee Sobieski's IMDB picture was changed to a pomeranian for a short while before anyone noticed, if you needed another reason to feel sorry for her.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
What makes Donnie Yen a huge rear end in a top hat? I never heard anything about him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

What makes Donnie Yen a huge rear end in a top hat? I never heard anything about him.

The one I know is he's just a massive egotist. In the commentary for 'Iron Monkey' (which is really good) he bangs on constantly about every little thing he came up with for the movie and how good it was that some people could keep up with him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So a man with huge talent is a bit arrogant. Who cares

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

So a man with huge talent is a bit arrogant. Who cares

No, Jackie Chan has huge talent. Donnie Yen has a much smaller amount of talent, yet many times the ego. Hence people not liking him.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 15, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Well he's no Jackie Chan but nobody is. Still if Donnie wants to talk up his huge talent on a dvd commentary more power to him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

No, Jackie Chan has huge talent. Donnie Yen has a much smaller amount of talent, yet many times the ego. Hence people not liking him.

I’d say Yen is the better actor and they’re equals in regards to their fight choreography. I might even give Yen the edge there. He has this grace to his moves that I enjoy

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

sponges posted:

I’d say Yen is the better actor and they’re equals in regards to their fight choreography. I might even give Yen the edge there. He has this grace to his moves that I enjoy

I think that the first part of what you said is definitely on point. Ip Man was the first time in a long time that I was legitimately impressed by the acting in a Kung-Fu movie. Egotistical dick or no, the man has some serious chops both in terms of emotional range and physical prowess.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sponges posted:

No.

No.

No loving way at all.

Maybe the acting, but the acting in the fight scenes edge goes to Chan.

The choreography isn't even close. I admire Yen's commitment to trying new things in fight scenes (like incorporating BJJ and more boxing style striking) but he's actually succeeded about three times, while Chan has been succeeding, consistently, for decades. Even his later age output is better than Yen's stuff in the same time frame.

But Drunken Master 2? Police Story 1 and 2? Armour of God? Wheels on Meals? Come on, man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Who doesn’t like him?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

No.

No.

No loving way at all.

The choreography isn't even close. I admire Yen's commitment to trying new things in fight scenes (like incorporating BJJ and more boxing style striking) but he's actually succeeded about three times, while Chan has been succeeding, consistently, for decades. Even his later age output is better than Yen's stuff in the same time frame.

But Drunken Master 2? Police Story 1 and 2? Armour of God? Wheels on Meals? Come on, man

Yeah...I prefer Yen over Chan. Sorry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yen is like 55 and really only came into his own about 10-12 years ago. The body of work just isn't there compared to what Jackie has done, when Yen was playing a supporting role in Iron Monkey in 1993, Jackie already had like five all time great action movies under his belt(conservatively).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For years how many of Yen's roles only existed because they needed one more dude and he was already there choreographing (and I don't mean that as a knock against Yen at all) when Chan was already a leading man for decades. It's a pretty apples/oranges comparison to me and not really one worth making considering Chan's massive body of work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Physical acting is also acting, and Chan is the best Buster Keaton since Buster Keaton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad that Jackie Chan and Tom Cruise never made a big stunt movie together when Cruise had a couple of Mission Impossibles under his belt and Chan was at the height of his Hollywood era.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Feels like this is as good a time as any to post the awesome Every Frame A Painting that dissects why Jackie Chan is such an incredible physical performer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1s&v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That or you could just watch Jackie Chan: My Stunts on repeat.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fart City posted:

Feels like this is as good a time as any to post the awesome Every Frame A Painting that dissects why Jackie Chan is such an incredible physical performer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1s&v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

That sequence about editing the two shots together to show the impact of the elbow is my everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That or you could just watch Jackie Chan: My Stunts on repeat.
And holy poo poo that's a very 90s intro, despite coming out the same year as the Matrix. Thanks for bringing it up though, I've never heard of it somehow.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That sequence about editing the two shots together to show the impact of the elbow is my everything.
Yeah the whole video is absolutely spot on as to what makes most moder action scenes suck, it's a shame they stopped making them.