Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

T-2 in a strong field on a hard course, definitely trending in the right direction. lol @ that 18th hole placement though, the only way it would be better was if it were a shorter hole so guys would land a wedge past the pin and still rip it back down the slope and have no hope for birdie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I was hoping the Canadian would hold it together under the pressure. If not win, at least not stumble back. But Sergio and Casey, jeez, great Sundays. Tiger is further back than I thought he would ever be, let alone this early. Where were all the young guns for this tourney? Jordan, justin, Dustin, bubba, Rickie, jason?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I was hoping the Canadian would hold it together under the pressure. If not win, at least not stumble back. But Sergio and Casey, jeez, great Sundays. Tiger is further back than I thought he would ever be, let alone this early. Where were all the young guns for this tourney? Jordan, justin, Dustin, bubba, Rickie, jason?

Spieth played with Tiger the first two rounds and missed the cut by a lot. Rory also missed the cut by a lot.

I don't think any of those other guys played this week since the Arnold Palmer is next week and they all played in the WGC last week.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

lol @ that 18th hole placement

seriously. ugh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Spieth played with Tiger the first two rounds and missed the cut by a lot. Rory also missed the cut by a lot.

I don't think any of those other guys played this week since the Arnold Palmer is next week and they all played in the WGC last week.

Yeah, the Arnold Palmer. I knew valspar was a not top tier tourney, but with woods bringing the crowds, I'd hoped for more of the young ones. Funny, Rory doesn't come to mind the last year or so given how hot he was pre injury.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The gallery for Tiger compared to the final group was just hilarious, it was probably accentuated since neither guy had a chance in the last few holes. It looked like maybe 20 people were around the 17th green for them when Tiger was on 18 and had thousands of people watching. Goddamn is it good to have him playing again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

The gallery for Tiger compared to the final group was just hilarious, it was probably accentuated since neither guy had a chance in the last few holes. It looked like maybe 20 people were around the 17th green for them when Tiger was on 18 and had thousands of people watching. Goddamn is it good to have him playing again.

I love Feherty's call on 17. Are you serious, ... are you serious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VESk27WbDoQ

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice to see Casey pull through. Nice to see Reed choke.

Did any of you see the Indian Open? That was one of the most insane golf courses to hold a tournament. Epic finish too.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Just walked into a money game with 3 seniors at a course I've only played a few times before.

Whoops.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
how many up and downs from 50 yds out on the par 4's and 50 foot putts did they drop on you? :corsair:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’m going to the Arnold Palmer tourney tomorrow. Does anyone want a logo ball or ball marker or anything? I know y’all are good for it :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

I’m going to the Arnold Palmer tourney tomorrow. Does anyone want a logo ball or ball marker or anything? I know y’all are good for it :)

I would really enjoy a ball marker.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

I would really enjoy a ball marker.

Done!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Keyser_Soze posted:

how many up and downs from 50 yds out on the par 4's and 50 foot putts did they drop on you? :corsair:

Not enough. :a2m:

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I'm hesitant to play money games with randoms every since I played with this one dude who kept pressing. I out played him the whole round but since he kept pressing I had a ~10ft putt on 18 for $300.

Also jealous you got out. We had one day it was 70 here and I got to hit a bucket at the range. It's back to snowing now :(

also what app is that?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 14, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FYI, I did not rent the apartment with the kinda crappy golf sim. It was the last property on my list and I had already been touring for 5 hours so I was tired. Mostly though it was a bit out of the way, the area looked kinda sketchy, and the lobby had a security guard with a badge so I didn't even bother with a tour.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Well it seems these double digit hdcp guys made an assumption about my game based on a not great but not terrible tee shot off the first hole. Not trying to be condescending, but these were 3 seniors who were 12 hdcps at best. This was my 3rd round in 3 days, and I've shot 76 or better each day. I'm okay with letting them make that mistake.

The conditions were $1 skins and $1 birdies. I gave them a little bit of breathing room while I ordered a beer. When I got to the table to settle up, I think they short-changed me a few dollars because I made 3 birdies, and nobody else birdied. That's just a screenshot from a Google web search for Skins game calculator. I'll have to sit down with a pencil and paper and see if they did the math right; it's not like I'm going to track them down, but it would have been nice to play for free today.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

I'd also be up for a ball marker.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'd also be up for a ball marker.

Consider it done!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Kameh posted:

Well it seems these double digit hdcp guys made an assumption about my game based on a not great but not terrible tee shot off the first hole. Not trying to be condescending, but these were 3 seniors who were 12 hdcps at best. This was my 3rd round in 3 days, and I've shot 76 or better each day. I'm okay with letting them make that mistake.

The conditions were $1 skins and $1 birdies. I gave them a little bit of breathing room while I ordered a beer. When I got to the table to settle up, I think they short-changed me a few dollars because I made 3 birdies, and nobody else birdied. That's just a screenshot from a Google web search for Skins game calculator. I'll have to sit down with a pencil and paper and see if they did the math right; it's not like I'm going to track them down, but it would have been nice to play for free today.

*shanks one off the tee one number one*

Old guys: “want to get in our skins game, $1 a hole”

You: “sure for $25 a hole”

Lol.

Skins are fun though, we normally play skins then closest to the pin on par 3’s.

E: what balls is everyone playing this season? I’ve been playing srixon z-stars for years now. Going to pick up a few different sleeves and try out some others when it warms up.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I usually play the Q-Star or more recently the Q-Star Tour.

I played the Bridgestone E6 through the cold weather this winter and that ball flies like hell. It feels like crap but man that ball goes.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

E: what balls is everyone playing this season? I’ve been playing srixon z-stars for years now. Going to pick up a few different sleeves and try out some others when it warms up.

Funnily enough I just grabbed a sleeve of yellow Z stars to try since the pro shop at my club didn't have any yellow chromesofts which I prefer to play as white chromies are super common at my club.

Going to give them a try on Saturday, I've found it hard to move away from chromesofts as I love the feel around the green. I'll see how I go I guess.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kameh posted:

Not enough. :a2m:

gangsta :20bux:

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Dimebag posted:

Funnily enough I just grabbed a sleeve of yellow Z stars to try since the pro shop at my club didn't have any yellow chromesofts which I prefer to play as white chromies are super common at my club.

Going to give them a try on Saturday, I've found it hard to move away from chromesofts as I love the feel around the green. I'll see how I go I guess.

Everyone I talk to that plays chromesofts rave about them. They are on the top of my list to try out. Not the yellow or orange ones though :barf:

I picked up 3 callaway mackdaddy wedges last year and loved my approach shots with those and the z-stars. Got the ones with the neon green grips too :c00l:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bridgestone tour b rx. Soft ball, good distance, great feel.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Never tried any bridgestones because their naming convention confuses me and I’ve never bothered to research them. I’ll buy a sleeve of the ones mentioned in this thread though.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

I picked up 3 callaway mackdaddy wedges last year and loved my approach shots with those and the z-stars. Got the ones with the neon green grips too :c00l:

Sup Mack Daddy Buddy, mine are a few seasons old but I've got some sweet orange grips on them though.

The yellow chromesoft is great, that plus a black putting line and no-one is mistaking it for their ball. That may change a bit when I switch to the most popular yellow ball in history. Old guys and their yellow srixons, don't get between them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dangling pointer posted:

Never tried any bridgestones because their naming convention confuses me and I’ve never bothered to research them. I’ll buy a sleeve of the ones mentioned in this thread though.

Go to their website. They have a "ball fitting" questionnaire that's a little helpful.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
TP5X balls. I have 3 left from the dozen my brother bought me at Christmas. Not buying more because way too expensive.

Might get some AAA rated Bridgestone B330s.

dangling pointer posted:

Everyone I talk to that plays chromesofts rave about them. They are on the top of my list to try out. Not the yellow or orange ones though :barf:

Oh man, the crows at my home course love coloured golf balls. They follow the ball in flight and pick it up right as it lands. Hilarious for everyone but the guy who's using it :)

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 15, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

dangling pointer posted:

*shanks one off the tee one number one*

Old guys: “want to get in our skins game, $1 a hole”

You: “sure for $25 a hole”

Lol.

Skins are fun though, we normally play skins then closest to the pin on par 3’s.

Basically. I've been rolled by an old shark before, so I knew when they thought they smelled blood in the water.

It's been a long time since I have played a money game without having to factor in handicaps. We don't ever play for much, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I shoot a better score but tie the hole or even have to pay. I always try to play 3 putts for $0.75 though.

torgeaux posted:

Bridgestone tour b rx. Soft ball, good distance, great feel.

One of the guys yesterday played with one. He said he liked it.

Shrapnig posted:

I usually play the Q-Star or more recently the Q-Star Tour.

I played the Bridgestone E6 through the cold weather this winter and that ball flies like hell. It feels like crap but man that ball goes.

Is the tour version urethane? If it spins enough around the greens, I could see it being a very good cold weather ball. Of course cold weather means 50 degrees here, but still.

I was playing those Kirkland Signature balls yesterday. They're very spinny, especially off the tee. A lot of my tee shots just ballooned in the air. But the harder I hit it, the farther it would go (farther than I thought it would). I don't know if it was compression or what. It wasn't until the back nine that I was consistently out driving these old men.

I'm switching to RZN Black today. Only got 4 boxes left; that's a pretty good ball off the tee for me. At least it doesn't spin as much. Read somewhere that Nike just rebadged Bridgestone balls; the dimple pattern is definitely different, especially on the last generation Nike balls, but I don't know. I'm pretty easy when it comes to golf balls. As long is it's not Top Flite, I'll play it.

E: Chromesofts are stupid good off the tee. I hit them longer with my irons as well, but they're still a little bit too expensive brand new, and I don't get out to practice enough to learn new distances. Very good ball though.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 15, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I play as a single, so always with new guys. And, never any betting, but I think that's also because I'm a weekday golfer.

When i had a regular group, my four ball played one on one match play, so 6 different money matches, with a three putt group bet. Three putt earns the snake, whoever has the snake at the end owes everyone $2. If you habe the snake and 3 putt, you bought it, and a new bet starts. So, if you were having a bad day, you could owe two or three snakes.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Other than one OB tee shot, Tiger has gotten away with squirrely drives again today. And he just made a bomb of a putt to take the lead on his 16th hole of the day, alllll the way across the green. 71 feet.

Justin Rose has played out of his mind after being 4 over par at one point, 7 birdies in 10 holes.

PGA Tour Live on my phone was so worth it lol.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 15, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ball update. Tried the Titleist Tour Soft, since it's supposed to be positioned against the Bridgestone I play, the Tour B RXS. Hated it. Has a cheap plastic look and feeling cover, and was shorter by a noticeable margin to the RXS. I played a par 4, par 3 and a par 5 with it, and hit good, center fairway/green tee shots, and all short. Thought it might be wet conditions, so switched, played the next three holes with the Bridgestones. Nope, lost a little roll out, but clearly longer. They putted ok, but would not buy again.

On the other hand, the two ball I was partnered with cancelled, so I asked if they could put me out first as a single, they did, and 2 hours later, a 40/40 front back and I was on my way home.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’m a Chromesoft guy. Tried a lot of different types but chromies have a good sound that I like. They “thunk” more than “click” which my brain interprets as softness. I used Supersofts before this but as my putting improved I started to hate how much they sprung off the face, particularly on longer putts. Kinda wish I liked something a bit cheaper but nothing has stuck with me quite as well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wow. I thought Tiger had a great round...then Stenson hove into view. Jesus, his back nine. He butchered the par 3 to make bogey...and the rest is gold, pure gold.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like the course got easier as the day went on.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man what a day. We got there just before Bubba teed off so had a decent spot when Tiger teed off next. We kinda followed Bubba and Tiger for the back 9. We'd get ahead of Tiger, watch Bubba then hang for when Tiger got there. The crowds got huge as the day went on. We were almost 2 holes ahead when Tiger sank that 71' putt and the roar that came when he sank that putt was unbelievable. Only Tiger could bring out a roar like that, everyone near us knew it was him who did something. I spent way to much money at the gift shops but YOLO lol.

I've got a buncha pictures that I'm going through, but here's the important one

Kameh, Shrapnig lemme know which one you guys want . Shoot me $5 for shipping to sausername@gmail and you guys are good.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Have the proposed new Rules of Golf been posted here? Some interesting changes:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-rules-of-golf
In order to streamline and simplify the sport's regulations, there are now 24 rules, down from 34.

quote:

The height of your drop

Although the initial proposal had a player taking a drop from any length above two inches from the ground, the new rule stipulates drop be taken from knee height, still a significant change from the current shoulder level.

There's also no longer a penalty for a double-chip

Golfers will now just count the hit as one stroke.

You're no longer allowed five minutes to look for a lost ball

Your search party now has three minutes. Let's be honest, you weren't going to find it in five, anyway.
And a player can take no more than 40 seconds to play a stroke
A change made to help speed of pace of play, although admittedly this one could be a tad hard to enforce at the amateur ranks.

You can now move impediments in bunkers and water hazards

There's also no penalty for touching the ground or water in a penalty area. In the sand, however, you cannot ground the club right next to the ball.
However, if you're "generally" touching the sand with the club, that's OK.

An extra relief option has been added for an unplayable ball in a bunker

You can play the ball to be outside the sand with a two-stroke penalty.

A player is given "reasonable judgement" when estimating or measuring a spot, point, line, area or distance. Your placement will be upheld, even if video evidence later shows it wasn't in the exact right spot.

You also are no longer required to announce when you are lifting a ball to identify or see if it's damaged

No more penalty for accidentally moving a ball on the green

You are still penalized, however, if it is "virtually certain" you caused it to move on purpose.

You can putt with the flagstick in

You can repair all the drat spike marks your heart desires

As well as repair animal or other damage on the green.
Another penalty removed: touching the line of the putt

Glad all the honest golfers at my home course will only take 5 minutes looking for a ball now instead of the usual 10 :D

Wonder if the spike mark fixing applies to the Professional ranks?

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 16, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Oh man what a day. We got there just before Bubba teed off so had a decent spot when Tiger teed off next. We kinda followed Bubba and Tiger for the back 9. We'd get ahead of Tiger, watch Bubba then hang for when Tiger got there. The crowds got huge as the day went on. We were almost 2 holes ahead when Tiger sank that 71' putt and the roar that came when he sank that putt was unbelievable. Only Tiger could bring out a roar like that, everyone near us knew it was him who did something. I spent way to much money at the gift shops but YOLO lol.

I've got a buncha pictures that I'm going through, but here's the important one

Kameh, Shrapnig lemme know which one you guys want . Shoot me $5 for shipping to sausername@gmail and you guys are good.

I'd like the one that's just the umbrella if that's cool.

Money incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'd like the one that's just the umbrella if that's cool.

Money incoming.

You got it!

Here are the pics I got today

https://imgur.com/a/kYtRa