Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cowcaster posted:

yesterday’s hot patch multiplied all displayed damage numbers by 100 i think

myDad posted:

the patch yesterday amped damage back up to the hundreds & thousands (against training dummies)

i swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought you were supposed to use alpha/beta to do things like roll out daily patches with crazy changes. They seem to have done things backwards. Not that I'm complaining, game fun, but yeah.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Coolguye posted:

there is, actually. that pack master is the real brains behind the outfit - a rat ogre is too stupid and violent to operate their gear effectively while remaining pliable enough to take orders and not lash out at anything in range (even friendlies). the solution is a specially grown pack master grafted onto the rat ogre's back to provide the intelligence required.

it's literally part of the stormfiend's nervous system so in lore hitting it has pretty much the same effect as hitting it in game.

Ah, so they're literally grafted to one another, that's pretty cool. Thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's just the damage numbers showing up, not the "practical" damage I guess. Things still die to the usual number of hits.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
What seems to be the go-to ranged choice for Ironbreaker in champion? I’ve been switching back and forth between the drakefire pistols and the drakegun in veteran - the gun for horde CC, and the pistols for special sniping and the alt-fire CC.

For reference I generally run with a group of goony friends who are pretty on top of sniping specials ASAP. We’re just about ready to make the transition to champion (and start dying to our elf and mage).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't done anything above Vet at this point but can't live without my Drakefire pistols. Every time I bring the Drakegun I get in that situation where I need to kill a hookrat to save a teammate but just can't reach him, and every time I bring the grudgeraker I run out of ammo. Pistols are just so good because they're there when I need them every time. If you are playing with people who are good at sniping specials (unlike myself) then the pistols may not be as necessary but I think either way I'd stick with those. In my opinion.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What does the Drakefire Pistols alt-fire do? It doesn't appear to do any damage to the training dummies

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im tired of playing with drakegun dorks who do not really help at all in champion so:

if you get the orange trait that gives ammo back on crits with the grudgeraker, you can spam the shove attack on it till it crits(and yes it can crit) and get back a bunch of ammo. idk if its changed but it also would give you multiple procs from one crit if you hit multiple things with the shove. it effectively gives you infinite grudgeraker ammo on ironbreaker bardin, and its by far his best ranged weapon

altho it would be funny if my fav thing on bardin got ownzoned while i havent played in a few days since apparently everything is being randomly changed

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

myDad posted:

What does the Drakefire Pistols alt-fire do? It doesn't appear to do any damage to the training dummies

Its a closer range AE blast, good for hordes. And yeah it and some other things (like the charge attack with a shield) dont show up on dummies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

2 SPOOKY posted:

What seems to be the go-to ranged choice for Ironbreaker in champion? I’ve been switching back and forth between the drakefire pistols and the drakegun in veteran - the gun for horde CC, and the pistols for special sniping and the alt-fire CC.

For reference I generally run with a group of goony friends who are pretty on top of sniping specials ASAP. We’re just about ready to make the transition to champion (and start dying to our elf and mage).

take the grudge raker. yeah it uses ammo but you can swap to it, quickly kill something that's menacing people, and switch back very smoothly. leeches, gutter runners, elites like stormvermin, maulers, and berserkers, warpfire throwers, frequently ratlings, and occasionally a packmaster (it has way too much health) will fall smoothly and easily to your doom shotgun without distracting you from your primary job, which is to get in where the fighting is worst and knock enemies on their butts.

myDad posted:

it is an AOE blast of flame in a short arc in front of the user. it doesn't show up on the dummies because AOE stuff as a whole is really hit or miss on those things.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I still think they should restrict weapons more from career-to-career to provide for more differentiation and class balance.

e: vvvvv I still think that whether to use the rapier or falchion depends on where you are in difficulty vs hero power. If you can one-shot rats with the rapier, use that. If you can't, use the falchion. if you're at the point where it takes two hits to kill regardless of weapon, probably the rapier but frankly then its just up to comfort.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 14, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Stuff I'm thinking about based on playing today:
Whoever asked about melee weapons for Saltz, use the Falchion. It's e-z mode. I like the Rapier on BH because Blessed Shots can go off from the alt-fire. Repeating pistol looks cool and reloads fast but is pretty bad. You get a lot of ammo, though. Volley X-bow looks dumb but is the best, in the same way BH looks dumb but is his best sub-class. I'm not sure if I like Saltz very much. WHC feels weak, but also gives you a lot of freedom in equipment.

Oh, and mace+shield on Bardin isn't for killing. You knock everyone around all over the loving place and can get a horde stunlocked forever. Even if you can't get through the armor of a chaos warrior, every swing is staggering the dude.

Remember the most important stat on the endscreen is "Damage Taken"

Ironbreaker feels the strongest, and has easy and good and direct ranged and melee options. Foot Knight is fun as hell. Zealot's active compared to Slayer's feels like a joke, but the passive is good when you're running on empty in a QP. I have been experimenting with using a 1h hammer with Slayer as an alternate in Hordes, flanking and knocking everything down, and it's quite good. Feels bad to have to take all his survivability talents though and ignore how killy he is. Chopping with the dual axes feels incredible. Level it up just to go ham in Recruit once and try it. His active turns him into a blender, and when I drank a Speed Pot I just turned into Dwarven Wolverine. I've found his lack of ranged isn't really an issue when every game has a beam staff bright wizard instantly killing specials anyway.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 14, 2018

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ghost Dog posted:

if you get the orange trait that gives ammo back on crits with the grudgeraker, you can spam the shove attack on it till it crits(and yes it can crit) and get back a bunch of ammo. idk if its changed but it also would give you multiple procs from one crit if you hit multiple things with the shove. it effectively gives you infinite grudgeraker ammo on ironbreaker bardin, and its by far his best ranged weapon

oh hell yeah, the gurdgeraker owns but runs out of ammo way too fast

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like a lot of the maps are missing that left4dead finale mad dash to the safe room feeling, with only a few maps throwing much at you.

The loud climatic music sorta doesn't fit the mood when your riding a elevator for half a minute or fighting single digit stray enemies milling about.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolguye posted:

i swear to god

yeah it's so dumb and misleading and I just don't get it, granted I've never gotten exactly 4k (or 40) only 4075 at the closest I think, but 3975 deffo isn't red. thanks for explaining!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Firstborn posted:

we really need to stop saying this for the immediate moment since damage taken is so hosed up. bleedout health counts on it, so anyone using the level 20 health on kills talent is going to take 'damage' in proportion to the number of kills they make, even if their game is nearly flawless otherwise. it also counts damage taken while incapacitated, which is absurd because you have no control over that damage. on champion it also counts friendly fire, which you have SOME control over but ultimately FF's responsibility is like 75% the shooter and 25% everyone else.

there's also the point that different classes just have different health levels and resistances to damage. kerillian or saltzpyre taking a hit on champion is most likely the end of like a quarter if not a third of their health bar, whereas foot knight kruber or ironbreaker bardin taking the same hit will be less than 10%. yes, these classes have damage resist specials, but they also just have A TON MORE HEALTH. it's actively okay for them to take the odd 30 damage hit and furthermore, they absolutely SHOULD if the alternative is kerillian or saltzpyre taking that hit.

i mean i wholeheartedly agree that avoiding damage is ultimately your top priority, but the stat right now is stupid af.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like a lot of the maps are missing that left4dead finale mad dash to the safe room feeling, with only a few maps throwing much at you.

The loud climatic music sorta doesn't fit the mood when your riding a elevator for half a minute or fighting single digit stray enemies milling about.

personally by the time I've gotten to the last leg of a map the last thing I need is a horde chasing me and hordes of specials when the group has no resources left and everyones at half hp

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Firstborn posted:

Ironbreaker ignores dmg every 13s, it kinda doesn't work for them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Ironbreaker ignores dmg every 13s, it kinda doesn't work for them.

that damage is still counted on damage taken as nearly as i can tell lol

like i'm not 100% sure on it because i obviously haven't had a perfect level, but even after switching ironbreaker over to 'when bosses die, gain health' because I don't do an excessive amount of killing, i will have taken hundreds of damage over the course of a level, which seems weird for never going below half health.

which is still stupid, because i have definitely made the conscious decision to take a hit from a chaos warrior or mauler and let my gromnil eat it so i can kill them faster. in one or two situations i've actively yelled for a bomb to be thrown at me on champion because i was holding back an entire horde and my gromnil was up, so the gently caress did i care about getting fragged?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Let me rephrase: don't feel like you aren't contributing just because you have less kills or whatever. If you want to be the controller guy who is just knocking around dudes with a hammer so your friends can kill them, that's okay and you shouldn't feel bad. I didn't mean literally the stat at the end. Sorry for the confusion.

E: I've seen people thanking a Sienna for a "carry", when she wouldn't have gotten into a position to do her damage without the Ironbreaker shield slamming stuff and Saltz watching her flank, but the score screen she has all the green circles

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 14, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Let me rephrase: don't feel like you aren't contributing just because you have less kills or whatever. If you want to be the controller guy who is just knocking around dudes with a hammer so your friends can kill them, that's okay and you shouldn't feel bad. I didn't mean literally the stat at the end. Sorry for the confusion.

This is the truth. The stat itself is all kinds of broken but the sentiment is still true

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Firstborn posted:

E: I've seen people thanking a Sienna for a "carry", when she wouldn't have gotten into a position to do her damage with the Ironbreaker shield slamming stuff and Saltz watching her flank, but the score screen she has all the green circles

I really hope they add stats like damage blocked, knockdowns, staggers, etc. And change aids to saving someone who is about to be hit by anything and the mob gets killed / knocked down. I think that'd go a long way in rounding out judging people's play by the numbers on the scoreboard. And obviously fixing the damage taken stat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Firstborn posted:

E: I've seen people thanking a Sienna for a "carry", when she wouldn't have gotten into a position to do her damage without the Ironbreaker shield slamming stuff and Saltz watching her flank, but the score screen she has all the green circles

oh yeah for sure the stats at the end definitely need some controller love thrown in. something like "KGs Moved" or whatever would be hilarious, you could just add up the force actually applied to each enemy and at the end see that the dwarf literally moved a mountain over the course of the map

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's probably in the game. Only on patch day did I notice that they judge liquids in actual liters. I think they said something like "bile troll nerfed to only barf 40 liters"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should remove the ending stats and replace all of it with "You did a do!" The game would be better for it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Coolguye posted:

oh yeah for sure the stats at the end definitely need some controller love thrown in. something like "KGs Moved" or whatever would be hilarious, you could just add up the force actually applied to each enemy and at the end see that the dwarf literally moved a mountain over the course of the map
This would be awesome, but it should be in tonnage. Also they should have a "damage prevented" metric

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

This would be awesome, but it should be in tonnage.
haha and then you get accused of padding your stats because you're bullying around a chaos warrior

this is sounding better and better

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My one friend is needlessly invested in the post-game stats screen and noticed that the numbers are not always consistent when players compare them. He keeps saying "this game needs a lot of work still" and then only cites the fact that the end game stats aren't accurate as the reasoning for this. Is this a known thing that will be fixed so I can tell him to shut the gently caress up about it already?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

My one friend is needlessly invested in the post-game stats screen and noticed that the numbers are not always consistent when players compare them. He keeps saying "this game needs a lot of work still" and then only cites the fact that the end game stats aren't accurate as the reasoning for this. Is this a known thing that will be fixed so I can tell him to shut the gently caress up about it already?

Man your friends sound terrible to play this game with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AndyElusive posted:

Man your friends sound terrible to play this game with.

Yeah.. :smith:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

an elf killing poo poo you arent fighting cause they are the elf, or a bolt staff sienna or drakegun bardin ~soloing~ a horde from a chokepoint when its coming from a predictable direction arent actually contributing much to a win, is one of the biggest disconnects of the stat screen. the elf is doing elf thangs and is ofc a shithead but like killing a slaverat horde in a way that stops your team from ever engaging it unless they rush forward and put everyone in danger is probably the most useless thing in the game.

explosivo posted:

the host sees something different, the host for my group has played a lot of elf and what he sees is stuff he wrote on a post it note and then stuck on his screen to make himself feel better, imo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I recommend joining the goon Discord, and while I have yet to actually do it myself, find groups there to kill rats with instead.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
The problem with statboards in any coop game is that it's impossible to quantify the things that actually matter most in a run. Damage of course is hugely important but it takes a backseat to those run saving moments where you made smart decisions like used your ult to stagger a chaos spawn so he couldn't heal, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

explosivo posted:

Your friend sounds really annoying, but he's correct about this. When groups I play with directly compare exact numbers they never match, it seems like it's computed client-side, which is stupid. They're always close, but never the same.

But yeah that stats screen needs work for a lot of reasons, most of the stats just reward the elf/sienna for picking off a bunch of random vermin instead of saving the team in a clutch moment. I really like the idea of "damage prevented", either from blocking an attack or killing an enemy when it's about to hit an ally. And just blocks in general.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
didnt the game use to make a neat little ping when you saved a teammate from an incoming enemy?

vermintide 1, that is

edit: and it would keep track over the course of a run how many times each person stopped a teammate from taking damage. Or ami thinking of l4d

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

damage prevented in terms of saving an ally has been a really tricky thing in detection since VT1. it was one of the reasons why the heroic intervention stat wasn't great, it just wasn't reliable enough because it's hard to detect. they did do it, but it's just never been a very well functioning mechanic.

in terms of blocking damage tho :getin:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

People given ridiculous amounts of fucks about stat screens like they're dps meters on a raid boss. I propose replacing it with a new stat screen that has two stats: "Missions completed" (either 0 or 1) and "Percent elf" which is the amount of time you spend more than 30 meters away from the rest the group

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Obviously the goal is to have 100% elf, right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

And change aids to saving someone who is about to be hit by anything and the mob gets killed / knocked down.
I think the biggest effect would be changing it from killed to staggered. Right now I feel like if you stagger an enemy about to hit an ally, there's nothing but it counts if you kill the enemy. Either way, it means the Trait that gives a bonus on aidings is just pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Help, I don't know which class to take to max level to build my Battle Power Ki. I like Foot Knight, Slayer, and WHC. Anybody of those classes feel like they got a good grip and can give their opinions and stuff? I have them all at level 12, and my boxes are like 160~ power.