Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Roman Reigns is...
This poll is closed.
the NEW People's Champion 2 1.77%
the voice of the voiceless, the new CM Punk 11 9.73%
Vince McMahon's nemesis who Vince definitely doesn't favor in any way 19 16.81%
also wondering why there was a cameraman in the women's lockerroom 47 41.59%
THE BIG DOG! 34 30.09%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Incessant Excess posted:

They also mentioned another Superstar Shakeup on Raw this Monday, so presumably some Smackdown guys as well.

I thought the rumor was if they got Fox it would go back to being a single roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
USA has them throughout 2018 I think, with a potential network switch happening in 2019. A long time to fill with feuds.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
speaking of which it cracks me that they keep talking about how the New Day are the first and only team to hold both the Raw and Smackdown tag team titles which is true only because they used to be called the WWE and World tag team titles

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It occurred to me that Roman basically also said outright that he lives paycheck to paycheck, because apparently making WWE main eventer money for nearly four years is so bad that if he didn't show up for work, he wouldn't be able to feed his family anymore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

speaking of which it cracks me that they keep talking about how the New Day are the first and only team to hold both the Raw and Smackdown tag team titles which is true only because they used to be called the WWE and World tag team titles

They did this with Bliss being the first woman to hold the Raw and SmackDown women's titles too and it's like, no poo poo, she was literally the first one to get a shot at it because the SmackDown women's title had only existed for about six months at the time.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2018

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

VJeff posted:

It occurred to me that Roman basically also said outright that he lives paycheck to paycheck, because apparently making WWE main eventer money for nearly four years is so bad that if he didn't show up for work, he wouldn't be able to feed his family anymore.

Spending it all on Johnny Bravo's roids :ssh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, WWE titles are just a confusing, over bloated mess that I just kind of laugh whenever they try and do "lineage" achievements like Bliss or the New Day. I'm not even sure what "Randy Orton Became A Grand Slam Champion" means. Like... did he win every title he was eligible to hold during his run? Has he held every tag title? Do only singles count? He never held the WWE Undisputed title, right? Or the ECW one? Has he held the Universal? Is that just supposed to be the same thing as whatever belt he held when he was on RAW?

Its just pointless. Which is fine. Title lineages are largely pointless and tend to devolve into nerdy obsessions. But I roll my eyes when WWE tries to invoke them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, NJPW has made a pretty strong case that you have a modern wrestling promotion that is successful and has a stable champ.

The belt-hopping is an Attitude Era relic that I really don't like

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

VJeff posted:

Undertaker told him to invest all his money into coal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, WWE titles are just a confusing, over bloated mess that I just kind of laugh whenever they try and do "lineage" achievements like Bliss or the New Day. I'm not even sure what "Randy Orton Became A Grand Slam Champion" means. Like... did he win every title he was eligible to hold during his run? Has he held every tag title? Do only singles count? He never held the WWE Undisputed title, right? Or the ECW one? Has he held the Universal? Is that just supposed to be the same thing as whatever belt he held when he was on RAW?

Its just pointless. Which is fine. Title lineages are largely pointless and tend to devolve into nerdy obsessions. But I roll my eyes when WWE tries to invoke them.

The current Grand Slam is defined as "One top championship (WWE or Universal) + Intercontinental Championship + US Championship + One tag championship (Raw or SmackDown)".

To be honest, I think that's an accomplishment that means something. Before we got four new ones this year (Jericho, Dean, Roman, Randy), it was a pretty small amount of guys who had managed that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Roderick and Cedric had an awesome match on 205 this week. Always makes me happy when the crowd comes alive and starts chanting/cheering during these shows.

Also typing that made me remember Roderick used to team with a Sedrick way back when. Whatever happened to that guy?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i wonder what would happen if WWE just randomly did a like 7 year reign, Sammartino-style

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Low Desert Punk posted:

i wonder what would happen if WWE just randomly did a like 7 year reign, Sammartino-style

Being the "Top Guy" seems to mean more than possessing the belt, so we basically had this with Cena.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Austin spent like half the Attitude Era not even holding a belt despite being The Guy.

His longest title reign was 175 days in 2001. For context, Jinder held the belt 170 days.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Benne posted:

Austin spent like half the Attitude Era not even holding a belt despite being The Guy.

His longest title reign was 175 days in 2001. For context, Jinder held the belt 170 days.

This is crazy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddeKAaB7Nrs

Patronising Big Wool best gimmick of 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

VJeff posted:

Listen bitch, I didn't save my money and I have to eat ramen every night of the week. But because of my job here I'm able to eat ramen so I'm grateful for what this company has given me!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

By making main eventers seem poor, wwe proves that the extremely rich and profitable company is much more important and prestigious than any of the wrestlers could ever be. come see WWE featuring wwe superstars created by wwe

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Fast lane good?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
no

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Gaz-L posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddeKAaB7Nrs

Patronising Big Wool best gimmick of 2018

didn't he break his thoracic spine?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cavauro posted:

By making main eventers seem poor, wwe proves that the extremely rich and profitable company is much more important and prestigious than any of the wrestlers could ever be. come see WWE featuring wwe superstars created by wwe

In 20 years there will only be one wrestler they can trot out to any kind of reaction and it will be John Cena. It's sad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Within a few years there will be someone named WWE Man in a full body suit at all times who only ever says safe for tv cuss words. at live events You will only be able to buy separate parts of his suit, like the gloves or mask, and nothing else will be available

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Aside from the suit being full body, you've just described John Cena

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE is so obsessed with "nobody bigger than the brand" they go the opposite direction and make everyone look like unemployable losers who would be homeless and destitute if it wasn't for the McMahons' endless benevolence and you should be grateful, BITCH

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
So when did WWE exactly become obsessed with pushing "the brand" over the talent to such an irritating degree?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

piss tape israel posted:

So when did WWE exactly become obsessed with pushing "the brand" over the talent to such an irritating degree?

When people like Lesnar, The Rock and Lashley left.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember back in the day when Randy Savage left for WCW and Vince appeared to be on the verge of tears trying to explain why he was gone. They've always been weird about people "leaving" them, it's just that over the years it's devolved into being downright cult-like.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

John Cena says too many non cusswords in this biiiiiiiitch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

piss tape israel posted:

Probably as soon as the brand became bigger than the talent

There is not a single superstar who is a big enough name to work anywhere other than the WWE and make a dent in WWE's popularity

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I remember back in the day when Randy Savage left for WCW and Vince appeared to be on the verge of tears trying to explain why he was gone. They've always been weird about people "leaving" them, it's just that over the years it's devolved into being downright cult-like.

It doesn't help when the people who leave come back, because it enables their mentality

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you wanna point to a point where they went SUPER crazy with it, that's probably when Punk left.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Unless my math is wrong:

Austin first won the WWF title in 1998. He lost his last one 4 years later and retired the next year.
There was only 5 years between 'Austin 3:16' and the Invasion

For comparison, Roman Reigns won his first title 3 years ago. So next year his main event career will be almost as long as Austin's.
Cena won his first title 13 years ago
Orton 14 years
Triple H 19 years

It gives you an idea of just how fleeting the Attitude Era and Austins career was compared to today.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Unless my math is wrong:

Austin first won the WWF title in 1998. He lost his last one 4 years later and retired the next year.
There was only 5 years between 'Austin 3:16' and the Invasion

For comparison, Roman Reigns won his first title 3 years ago. So next year his main event career will be almost as long as Austin's.
Cena won his first title 13 years ago
Orton 14 years
Triple H 19 years

It gives you an idea of just how fleeting the Attitude Era and Austins career was compared to today.

Austin's time as the unquestioned top babyface only lasted ~20 months.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably as soon as the brand became bigger than the talent

There is not a single superstar who is a big enough name to work anywhere other than the WWE and make a dent in WWE's popularity
That's a very good point, otherwise ROH would be a serious threat.

TNA had a legitimate chance to compete but lol TNA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is part of why Austin is still so fondly remembered- he wasn't on top long enough for us to get sick of him. The Rock too, he lasted a bit longer but then went to Hollywood. Foley of course retired (then unretired then really-really retired etc.)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
TNA never had a legitimate chance to compete

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I posted this question elsewhere, so may as well post it here.

Question for everyone here. Would you say that today's micromanagement of the wrestlers and their personas (in WWE) is a lot worse than it was in the Attitude Era or whatever? Reason I ask is because I've seen arguments Asuka, Shinsuke, Andrade, etc and all other foreign talents in WWE are harmful to the product because they can't cut a promo in English at all. Problem is, I feel like its more of a micromangement/scripting issue. These people went on to claim that there was the same level of micromanagement in the Attitude Era, and as a result its the performers faults for not getting over/being able to do promos.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

From what I recall of Foley's books around that time, the promos weren't nearly as micromanaged. They had bullet points, make sure you hit "This this and this", otherwise it was wing it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DarkstarIV posted:

I posted this question elsewhere, so may as well post it here.

Question for everyone here. Would you say that today's micromanagement of the wrestlers and their personas (in WWE) is a lot worse than it was in the Attitude Era or whatever? Reason I ask is because I've seen arguments Asuka, Shinsuke, Andrade, etc and all other foreign talents in WWE are harmful to the product because they can't cut a promo in English at all. Problem is, I feel like its more of a micromangement/scripting issue. These people went on to claim that there was the same level of micromanagement in the Attitude Era, and as a result its the performers faults for not getting over/being able to do promos.

Stop reading Wrestling Forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Benne posted:

Stop reading Wrestling Forum

It's not just there either. It's been brought up on other mediums as well. Including brought up by people I'm friends with on Facebook. :psyduck:

• Locked thread