Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the GB looking slot for on the SD Gundam G Next cart for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the GB looking slot for on the SD Gundam G Next cart for?

It was a Satellaview-compatible game, you could download extra maps/units on the Satellaview memory card and slot it in, or purchase a memory cart at retail that had them pre-loaded

http://satellaview.wikia.com/wiki/SD_Gundam_G-Next

http://satellaview.wikia.com/wiki/Unit_%26_Map_Collections

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh neat. I didn't know that there were Satellaview compatible games. DLC is older than I realized.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh neat. I didn't know that there were Satellaview compatible games. DLC is older than I realized.

Hell, you could consider buying the full versions of shareware games as "downloadable content" since it's a similar business model to modern episodic games

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell, you could consider buying the full versions of shareware games as "downloadable content" since it's a similar business model to modern episodic games

And putting another quarter or dollar in an arcade game to continue is just another form of micro-transactions. Everything people complain about being a huge problem in the modern game industry has always existed in the industry in one form or another. It's just currently in a different permutation than what we're used to.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

And putting another quarter or dollar in an arcade game to continue is just another form of micro-transactions.

And just like modern "pay to win" microtransactions it's primarily used by scrubs who can't get good :twisted:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

And putting another quarter or dollar in an arcade game to continue is just another form of micro-transactions.

What about putting a coin into an arcade game for actual micro-transactions?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

thanks to sampson I found out that someone had ordered a whole bunch of TGM1 B boards from g-front and was distributing them in the west, snagged one and a ZN-2 A board, time for some really masochistic tetris

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

thanks to sampson I found out that someone had ordered a whole bunch of TGM1 B boards from g-front and was distributing them in the west, snagged one and a ZN-2 A board, time for some really masochistic tetris

holy gently caress that's a nice monitor

crossposting from the IIDX thread:

Code Jockey posted:

Anyone interested in some older gear? I'm trying to clear some stuff out that has just sat collecting dust, and should probably be in a better home.

First up, PS2 GF&DM controllers:

Also have a Dreamcast DDR pad and PS2 Taiko drum controller:

None of this except the GF controller has been tested [and it worked great years ago using it with an arcade hack of... GFDM v4 I think] but it all appears to be in good shape. The DDR pad and GF&DM controllers came from the guy I got my JKOC from, and he kept all of his stuff in good shape [and the JKOC is perfect]. The Taiko controller was a thrift store find, but appears to be in great shape.

PM me if you're interested!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is gorgeous, I'm not usually envious of setup pictures but this is beautiful.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is gorgeous, I'm not usually envious of setup pictures but this is beautiful.

thanks but compared to many people with japanese cabs this is straight ghetto :v:

I love the NAC but it's the most common japanese cab by a lot, this particular one is not really in the best cosmetic shape, and there's only one of them which means I have to manually rotate the monitor between vertical and horizontal, a two person operation. spend some time on forums like arcade-projects and arcade otaku if you want to feel true envy

here are some pictures of people's setups I've saved. I think most of these are japanese folks

e: if you want to see the restoration process I went through with this NAC, here's a thread I made about it on the arcade projects forums

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 14, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm the... coin exchanger machine? Why would a person own one of those?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ofecks posted:

I'm the... coin exchanger machine? Why would a person own one of those?

Friends don’t always have enough coins

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

FireMrshlBill posted:

Friends don’t always have enough coins

also it looks loving thematic

its better than an anime wallscroll

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It makes me wonder if some Japanese guy has obsessively stolen every component of a Chuck E. Cheese until he has a redemption counter in his six-tatami apartment.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
New Astro City cabs look so comfortable, especially compared to garbage straight-line six-button US cabs :sigh:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I set up my Analogue Super NT yesterday and I've been playing Yoshi's Island in 720p on a 1080p TV with scanlines. I've noticed some ghosting around larger foreground objects - is this something I can fix with a settings change?

Other than that, this thing is incredible. The Japanese Yoshi's Island cart I got from eBay has an ancient 100% completion save on it which is pretty cool.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this is legit inspiring

I appreciate this post in general though, trying to reorganize my room full of retro stuff and I now have some ideas

[idea #1: go buy an assload of astro city cabs]

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

here are some pictures of people's setups I've saved. I think most of these are japanese folks

I like the variety of posters: Ghosts 'N Goblins, Sengoku Blade, Xevious, Outrun, Ikaruga, and...the Pixels movie.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

d0s posted:

thanks but compared to many people with japanese cabs this is straight ghetto :v:

I love the NAC but it's the most common japanese cab by a lot, this particular one is not really in the best cosmetic shape, and there's only one of them which means I have to manually rotate the monitor between vertical and horizontal, a two person operation. spend some time on forums like arcade-projects and arcade otaku if you want to feel true envy

e: if you want to see the restoration process I went through with this NAC, here's a thread I made about it on the arcade projects forums

This kicks rear end, I wish I had the skill and time to build something like this.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What country are those homes in?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cloks posted:

I set up my Analogue Super NT yesterday and I've been playing Yoshi's Island in 720p on a 1080p TV with scanlines. I've noticed some ghosting around larger foreground objects - is this something I can fix with a settings change?

Other than that, this thing is incredible. The Japanese Yoshi's Island cart I got from eBay has an ancient 100% completion save on it which is pretty cool.

I've been playing Yoshi's Island too. It's gorgeous. I remember a slight resentment back in 1990 something seeing it at Toys R Us when all I had to look forward to on Genesis was Sonic 3D Blast.

I've been playing on 1080p with no scanlines. What's the advantage of 720p with scanlines than 1080p with scanlines? Is it that the pixels are stretched juuust right or something? What's the preferred scanline setting?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It makes me wonder if some Japanese guy has obsessively stolen every component of a Chuck E. Cheese until he has a redemption counter in his six-tatami apartment.

This but also kidnapping the staff who runs it.

Zamujasa posted:

New Astro City cabs look so comfortable, especially compared to garbage straight-line six-button US cabs :sigh:

IIRC the discomfort of the US cabs was intentional to maintain a flow of people.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

This might've come up previously but what kind of monitor does the cabinet have?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been playing on 1080p with no scanlines. What's the advantage of 720p with scanlines than 1080p with scanlines? Is it that the pixels are stretched juuust right or something? What's the preferred scanline setting?

Might be different with the super NT but on the framemeister, upscalimg to 1080 with scanlines doesn’t look right, like the lines are too thick or something. 720p looks better, but if you can’t tell a difference Then it doesn’t matter.

Hey folks, I wanted to know when a few retrogaming related things would be available so I made a bot that tweets when different pages update.

https://twitter.com/retroscanner/status/973744525394042880

It’s currently monitoring gdemu, phoebe, rhea, ps-io, and UltraHDMI for N64.

Is there anything else I should add to the watch list that you guys would like?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been playing Yoshi's Island too. It's gorgeous. I remember a slight resentment back in 1990 something seeing it at Toys R Us when all I had to look forward to on Genesis was Sonic 3D Blast.

Everything I've seen says that scanlines look better in 720p then 1080p. I tried it without them and it looks too good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kid Fenris posted:

I like the variety of posters: Ghosts 'N Goblins, Sengoku Blade, Xevious, Outrun, Ikaruga, and...the Pixels movie.
I mean, I cracked up at the Japanese Pixels movie poster. I would totally rock one of those. It's different for an actual Japanese speaker, for sure, but stil funny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

When I visited Japan, I was struck by how I could go into an arcade, poke around, leave, come back a few hours later and there would be the same old guy smoking and shoving coins into a mahjongg machine on his little stool.

Every arcade had between one and eight of these old guys who presumably never leave.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

When I visited Japan, I was struck by how I could go into an arcade, poke around, leave, come back a few hours later and there would be the same old guy smoking and shoving coins into a mahjongg machine on his little stool.

Every arcade had between one and eight of these old guys who presumably never leave.

Living the dream. :allears:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
lovely ebay packaging pt2. Bought a sealed Super Mario Bros 2 NOS PC10 game and the fucker literally shipped it wrapped with a layer and a half of bubblewrap and put a layer of packaging tape around it. It's not even in a loving box.

I now own SMB2 and SMB3 sealed Playchoice 10 games and I don't even own a PC10 machine yet. Send help! It also feels dumb that I am buying things meant to be displayed that I don't want to open.

It's really odd that Super Mario Bros seems like one of the rarest marquees for the Playchoice 10. Anyone know anything about this? Did they include SMB with arcades and maybe you only got a marquee if you ordered a replacement SMB? You would just think it would be incredibly common.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

worthless. posted:

Might be different with the super NT but on the framemeister, upscalimg to 1080 with scanlines doesn’t look right, like the lines are too thick or something. 720p looks better, but if you can’t tell a difference Then it doesn’t matter.

Hey folks, I wanted to know when a few retrogaming related things would be available so I made a bot that tweets when different pages update.

I'd say HD Retrovision cables, but I know their stock refresh is Saturday at Noon est

Thanks, I only have 2 twitter accounts that push notifications, Wario64 and one of the UltraHDMI sellers.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kind of like the retirement communities that bus old ladies and gents to Atlantic City where they get $10 in free play and then spend their SS and retirement savings on slot machines...

katkillad2 posted:

lovely ebay packaging pt2. Bought a sealed Super Mario Bros 2 NOS PC10 game and the fucker literally shipped it wrapped with a layer and a half of bubblewrap and put a layer of packaging tape around it. It's not even in a loving box.

I was like, that isnt bad, a layer and a half is usually fine. And then I read

katkillad2 posted:

It's not even in a loving box.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 14, 2018

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I'd say HD Retrovision cables, but I know their stock refresh is Saturday at Noon est

Thanks, I only have 2 twitter accounts that push notifications, Wario64 and one of the UltraHDMI sellers.

I'm actually working on adding HD Retrovision right now, but it's a little tricky because Shopify does not like making this easy :smith:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

worthless. posted:

I've been waiting on the supposed upcoming Hi-Def NES kit restock, but I've basically just been keeping an eye on Game-Tech's twitter for that. And I don't think there's been much of an update since like, December.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

This might've come up previously but what kind of monitor does the cabinet have?

Nanao MS9

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

What country are those homes in?

I think I got all or most of those pictures from Japanese twitter, there was a particular (japanese) hashtag they used to show off their gamerooms and there was some seriously cool stuff going on there

e: speaking of japanese twitter this just popped up on my timeline

https://twitter.com/hijiyan_jp/status/973927338302779392

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That model was made by the actual guy who did the art/designs for the original Splatterhouse, his main gig is props and sfx for movies/TV.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I did a thing

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GutBomb posted:

I did a thing

What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Djarum posted:

What is this?

Soldered an IDE cable to the underside of a Dreamcast motherboard, the gd ROM's solder points. Put some games on an IDE hard drive. Booted up with a dreamshell cd and loading isos off the hard drive. Works amazingly well.

I didn't come up with it, a bunch of crazy Russians did. I just followed their lovely instructions and eventually made it work.

https://fnhack.wordpress.com