Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

use a physical dial to change volume? no one would ever want to do something so barbaric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

TOOT BOOT posted:

All the poo poo Apple implemented to stop kids from buying $5000 worth of poo poo on iTunes made the experience really bad

I went to buy an app on my iPad today and it asked for touchid, password twice, my passcode, and the security code on my credit card before it finally went through, maybe that's an edge case because I hadn't bought anything from my iPad before it's still ridiculous

I don't see how asking your password again after you just typed it in 15 seconds ago improves security in any way, iTunes on desktop does the same bullshit

especially in macos the password thing is very bad, despite there being an explicit accounts manager in the OS you have to sign into everything like facetime messages etc etc separately

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

more like beat off lab

:thejoke:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
iOS asks for your iCloud password way too often, and the security notifications are garbage.

my dad sent me an email because he got a notification that a new phone was using his iCloud account. that new phone was his only phone, which he just updated.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my phone just randomly asks for my iTunes password every few days and my m8 over on the Store team just said 'lol don't even bother sending me a sysdiagnose it's not going to do anything just give up now'

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

congratulations on your escape. remember to leave a stack of tracked hardware in your office for your boss to sort through.

just drop the box and run before the gcd guy can ask questions

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
just turn off parental control and you can play all the Rae sremmund you like

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

my phone just randomly asks for my iTunes password every few days and my m8 over on the Store team just said 'lol don't even bother sending me a sysdiagnose it's not going to do anything just give up now'

this has always been mind boggling. I don’t understand why when I entered my password once it would ever need to ask me it again. imessage is notorious for doing that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

this has always been mind boggling. I don’t understand why when I entered my password once it would ever need to ask me it again. imessage is notorious for doing that.

We need to throw as many seemingly random password prompts as we can at users so they get used to typing their password in any old box that pops up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

a Cinema Display HD goes even more perfectly with the MDD, honestly

also, put a cheap 120GB SSD in your G4 through an IDE-SATA bridge, it loving flies

like everything you can do in Mac OS 9.2.2, MPW, CodeWarrior, Macintosh Common Lisp, etc. feels instantaneous, it’s quite something

those are the ones with the two feet up front and the kickstand, right? hsc had a little 15" one that i played around with for a bit, and it was TN garbage

i already have an ssd in the mdd via that same adapter, although it's a 40gb one since i did that before the bigger ones were affordable. really should get one of those cheap msata laptop pulls from ebay and stick it in there. probably do like a 128

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my phone keeps telling me that carrier charges may apply to imessage

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

those are the ones with the two feet up front and the kickstand, right? hsc had a little 15" one that i played around with for a bit, and it was TN garbage

i already have an ssd in the mdd via that same adapter, although it's a 40gb one since i did that before the bigger ones were affordable. really should get one of those cheap msata laptop pulls from ebay and stick it in there. probably do like a 128

the one with the kickstand yeah, the 17 was OK but the 23in Cinema HD is the sweet spot, I used the original clear/kickstand model for many years and then replaced it with an aluminum

120GB is the sweet spot since the ATA controller may not support 128GB or larger disks

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

IUG posted:

Why not backup and restore? Music is always the longest part of a restore anyways (since you're trying to delete it anyways).

i will try this when I get home but I’m currently traveling and don’t want to accidentally brick since I’m a loving idiot and that’s what I’d prob do

I just wanted music for the plane :/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

the one with the kickstand yeah, the 17 was OK but the 23in Cinema HD is the sweet spot, I used the original clear/kickstand model for many years and then replaced it with an aluminum

120GB is the sweet spot since the ATA controller may not support 128GB or larger disks

its a fw800 mdd so its about as late as you can get. i figure my chances are good, but ill test it with a larger drive first

if the larger displays are ok, ill keep an eye out. still gonna want to look at a functioning one before buying one sight unseen at a swap meet or craigslist or w/e though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't remember the last time my phone asked me for my Apple ID password

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chris Knight posted:

I don't remember the last time my phone asked me for my Apple ID password

i do,

it was when i bought my current iphone

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/bzamayo/status/974734836115099649

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in real speed that looks like it should be an extraordinarily low priority bug. i had to slow it down to even see it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
honesty in advertising

hopefully they have a scene where the imessages are all out of order because timestamps are loving magical

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

that’s me hourly with those dang notification bubble bug

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple announces March 27th 'event'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/apple-will-have-a-march-27th-event-focused-on-education.html

-Held at a local high school in Chicago?!

Guess this isn't where they announce the new Mac Pro.. maybe a new iPad or mini?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sounds like an education-focused event. so, uh, cheap iPads

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's gonna be the rumored cheap air.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a mac book air running ios on arm

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea Chromebooks are basically killing it now in schoolsso apple better be shooting for sub $300 to take that market.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
what could Apple do to make a sub-$300 MacBook Air? ...use some leftover 1280x800 panels, one usb 3.0 port and one 2.0 port?

...maybe a polycarbonate MacBook Air?? :swoon:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

what could Apple do to make a sub-$300 MacBook Air? ...use some leftover 1280x800 panels, one usb 3.0 port and one 2.0 port?

im sold

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

they could just stuff a 12-inch macbook's guts into one of those clamshell iBooks. us kids loved those colorful macs in the elementary school's computer lab way back. kids would definitely dig them today.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Got an iMac at work and I'm using the migration utility to copy settings from my mbp over a USB c cable. It's slow.

Neat that it can transfer apps though. That'd be impossible on windows since windows apps dump poo poo all over the place with reckless abandon.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh also icloud just magically having my bookmarks and email configured and poo poo is slick as hell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There have been PC mover apps for windows for loving ever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

yeah, if you are technically illiterate

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lookit that ghost computer

spoopy computer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

help; i'm haunted by norton's 2003 ghost

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
target disk mode has always been the best. boot your Mac as a FireWire disk, restore from it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

has it always been dog slow?

thunderbolt from a maxxed out 2015 mba to a maxxed out 2018 mbp went slower than loving gigabit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Don Lapre posted:

The difference being that you still have to janitor a bunch of poo poo after because of broken registry keys, missing temp folders that were actually critical, etc.

After the Mac transfer all I had to do was reimport poo poo into my eclipse workspace. Even my git directory was configured correctly.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

Apple announces March 27th 'event'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/apple-will-have-a-march-27th-event-focused-on-education.html

-Held at a local high school in Chicago?!

Guess this isn't where they announce the new Mac Pro.. maybe a new iPad or mini?

Release the new mini with replaceable ram tim and non gimped processor tim.

Don Lapre posted:

Yea Chromebooks are basically killing it now in schoolsso apple better be shooting for sub $300 to take that market.
you just can’t beat a $200 chromebook that comes with a management license for typing google docs or making bad slides presentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

infernal machines posted:

has it always been dog slow?

thunderbolt from a maxxed out 2015 mba to a maxxed out 2018 mbp went slower than loving gigabit

If you use a thunderbolt cable, its a lot faster if the OS is booted compared to target disk mode