Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Obviously instead of a stats screen with green circles we need a play of the game so you can see bardin drop a smoke bomb and quickly revive the entire team during a ill timed horde + spawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Night10194 posted:

Crazy Person Saltzpyre's charge move doesn't seem all that great. It seems to go further than I want it to and it doesn't really stun or plow through enemies.

Eats up it's own timer by placing you facing away from foes two. Shade seems great on paper but in practice ...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wow, it's loving BULLSHIT that you don't receive any exp if the host leaves the game migrates to another host (and starts over).

Someone line the design committee against the wall and loving shoot them, god drat.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure that slayers slam knocks chaospawn out of his grab animation but tbh haven't really checked.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Blinks77 posted:

What is the list of those?

Kruber: Merc Shout and his Knight charge
Bardin: Nothing? Don't think Slayer can and IB Taunt doesn't work
Kerillian : Maybe Trueshot? I don't think so though.
Salty: WHC shout, BH active?
Sienna: Fairly sure her pyro does. Don't think Bomb does.
i tried again today to confirm

sienna's pyro CAN but it seems almost prerequisite on hitting the spawn in its mouth, which you can do if you're facing it but if not you're kind of out of luck.

BH active DOES stagger him handily if your HP is high enough for the difficulty. I had missed it because I've been playing a lot of Champ and my item power still leaves a bit to be desired there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Been running heroic deeds with some friends today and have some observations.
The first one is that you should probably never bother to do the "Back to basics" modifier. It resets your power level to 1, which means you won't be able to stagger, pierce, or generally do damage to anything, which is killer on Veteran and above.
The "No drops throughout the level" modifier also removes tomes and grimoires, which is kinda dumb.
The "Increased Special spawns" modifier doesn't actually seem to increase special spawns? At least we didn't really notice a difference from normal while doing a few of those. The "More horde spawns" definitely works though.

They should probably have a look at the rewards for these though, because for the most part, it's really not worth the effort. The modifiers also aren't really interesting enough to just do it for fun.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 15, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

The first one is that you should probably never bother to do the "Back to basics" modifier. It resets your power level to 1, which means you won't be able to stagger, pierce, or generally do damage to anything, which is killer on Veteran and above.
The "No drops throughout the level" modifier also removes tomes and grimoires, which is kinda dumb.
The "Increased Special spawns" modifier doesn't actually seem to increase special spawns? At least we didn't really notice a difference from normal while doing a few of those. The "More horde spawns" definitely works though.

They should probably have a look at the rewards for these though, because for the most part, it's really not worth the effort. The modifiers also aren't really interesting enough to just do it for fun.

I wonder if "Increased special spawns" affects elite spawns as well. I was getting packs and packs of Storm Vermin on top of a hook rat every minute. Luckily bots are really good at sniping specials.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

the dagger is the way to go for me. the first charged strike is an aoe knockback you can fire off -> block -> fire off again to lock down crowds, and the second charged strike's stab actually does a pretty impressive chunk of damage against heads, and both come out a lot faster than the flaming sword's equivalent crowd control swings or getting to the third strike of the arming sword's combo for headshotting an armored dude.

i think some people in this thread swear by the mace but i absolutely loathe how the starter to both combos is an overhead, not having any sort of get out of my personal space attack available as a first swing is a deal breaker to me
Wait, there are two charged strikes?

Also chalk me up for hating the mace, I was doing much better with Flame-Sword. I'll give dagger a shot when I g

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Weissritter posted:

I wonder if "Increased special spawns" affects elite spawns as well. I was getting packs and packs of Storm Vermin on top of a hook rat every minute. Luckily bots are really good at sniping specials.

I've just had a ton of stormvermin in general lately. It seems like everytime I do Convocation of Decay the drop down the poop tube ends in a room with about fifteen of them.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

oh no, it definitely did when i played through one earlier and it meant constant special spawns and in multi-special combos too

...though after that, 2 party members couldn't load into the victory/reward screen and got shafted out of their loot :smith:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, they really should give multiple chests or more XP than they do. Even the easier ones are really hard and you don't get that much out of it.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Taffer posted:

Yeah, they really should give multiple chests or more XP than they do. Even the easier ones are really hard and you don't get that much out of it.

At the very least you should get the next level up. Like recruit deeds give the general/emperor vet chest, vet gives the champ chest, champ gives the legend chest etc...

Edit: Is there anyway to choose which bots you get? I never see Saltz and always get Sienna despite never having touched her so she gets no talents and starting weapons.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 15, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I like the idea of the little riposte you can do after pushing, but more often than not I just get stabbed by some random rat lurking behind the pushee line. Any tips on when to use it properly? If you're strafing around a horde?

Frustrated posted:

Edit: Is there anyway to choose which bots you get? I never see Saltz and always get Sienna despite never having touched her so she gets no talents and starting weapons.

Bots level up to your power, IIRC. No talents, though.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 15, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Lots of people with wrong opinions about Slayer here man. Slayer might not be the pro-est pick for Champion difficulty but Dwarf doesn't have a lot of super ranged options at the moment. Grudgeraker/Pistols are both fairly short range unless I'm mistaken about pistols, and the reason you keep the elf around anyway is to snipe a special or three, assuming she's not half a checkpoint ahead of the rest of the team. Crossbow exists I guess, and Handgun stabilizes too slowly for the sick 720 noscopes of VT1.

Slayer is good because it teaches you good judgement. It teaches you good mechanics. It teaches you melee crowd control if nothing else, since you don't have the other option anymore.

Take Leap, for example. It's absurdly fun. It's got an absurdly short cooldown, for maximum poor decision making. It's also absurdly dangerous when used wrong.
Good idea: Leaping right behind a boss to take advantage of increased attack speed.
Bad idea: Leaping to the front of an oncoming horde. Most of them won't be staggered and you will find that out from the ground very quickly.
Good idea: Leaping at a Leech to stagger it from force choking your friend.
Bad idea: Leaping at a pouncing Gutter Runner. They'll win that fight.

Really, the key to Leaping well is knowing when NOT to Leap. BUT YOU WANT TO SO BAD because it's cool and good and fun. I know.

Also I can guarantee you that nothing will teach you how to deal with disabling specials faster than not having a ranged option. You will learn how to sidestep packmasters, gutter runners, and leeches like a pro. Hell, I might even spend the time finding out if bashing gutter runners is still a thing. Did you know it's possible to avoid a packmaster grab and a gutter runner at the same time? I didn't until I had to make an astounding defensive Leap! Did you know you can side-step the leech's force choke? It's a thing! After they've goofed that poo poo up, they are wide open to receive a small package of screaming anger straight to the dongliz.

If you try Slayer and don't learn anything, you're either the best player around or you haven't died enough to figure out how to survive the terrible situations your roleplaying Slayer gets you into yet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

dscruffy1 posted:

Bad idea: Leaping at a pouncing Gutter Runner. They'll win that fight.

Fatshark please fix. Narrative Causality trumps mechanics.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

dscruffy1 posted:

If you try Slayer and don't learn anything, you're either the best player around or you haven't died enough to figure out how to survive the terrible situations your roleplaying Slayer gets you into yet.

I learned I SHOULD leap at a ratling gunner, but not if he's shooting at me. The bullets will stop the leap in mid air and then i'm just out there in the open and sad with two shields of block which are whoops gone and i'm dead.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
What's the best talent to take at level 25 for bh saltzy?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

maev posted:

What's the best talent to take at level 25 for bh saltzy?

In my opinion its the -30% cooldown one. Double shot and buckshot specialize it a bit too much compared to being able to shoot more often. A point blank shot will still kill a chaos warrior and thin out a horde even without two armor piercing shots / a fan of buckshot.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Crazy Person Saltzpyre's charge move doesn't seem all that great. It seems to go further than I want it to and it doesn't really stun or plow through enemies.

It doesn't stun but here's a pro tip that also applies to Kruber's charge: if you hit block, you will stop in place during the charge. Makes it a lot easier to control your positioning.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Lots of people with wrong opinions about Slayer here man. Slayer might not be the pro-est pick for Champion difficulty

Well, its only the fact that ironbreaker dwarf is pretty much OP when it comes to tanking and CC'ing. Slayer could do just as good with a 2h hammer cc-wise, but it always helps to be able to snipe a special with the handgun, and the ironbreaker ability can turn a lost map around

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

What does 10 HP mean to a bar? Yes I know we've posted for a few pages now about classes having different health pools and also not knowing what those pools are so I guess I'll just ask as I approach lvl 15 Bardin does Ironbreaker want faster Gromrils or 10 HP with Gromril?

According to reddit, tanky subclasses like the Ironbreaker, Zealot, etc have 150. Slightly tanky ones like Handmaiden and, uh, some others have 125. And most have 100. Based on one match where I took 42 damage as an Ironbreaker on the endgame stats after losing maybe quarter of my hp and never gaining temp health, that seems like it could be accurate.

Folks here are judging it based on the damage dealt stat on the end screen after jumping off a cliff, but the game counts damage dealt during bleedout, which is probably throwing it off.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Internet Explorer posted:

So are most of the people who have 600 hero level and 5x level 30 characters using the "dash off the cliff" trick or some other map hack, or are most of those people just playing a lot?

I've got 600 HP and some decent levels on my characters but I could only stomach doing that stupid immediate-death thing twice before I was like gently caress this I want to actually play the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is also the fact that you can't have both the slayer and the ironbreaker on the same team, not only is the slayer being useless, he is taking up the slot of someone useful and sir kruber and the rare handmaiden are the only tanks besides the ironbreaker and the ironbreaker is on a level above them honestly.

Just did some quickplay, queued into skittergate, halescourge, skittergate, skittergate, skittergate, halescourge, on the final halescourge the team decided to not jump off a cliff this time and just get it done, skipped all grims and tomes for extra healing and still had 3 teammates with 1 hp of grey health and no heals left.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

What does 10 HP mean to a bar? Yes I know we've posted for a few pages now about classes having different health pools and also not knowing what those pools are so I guess I'll just ask as I approach lvl 15 Bardin does Ironbreaker want faster Gromrils or 10 HP with Gromril?

It's a large chunk of HP for ironbreaker, very useful. I largely prefer the 10hp on free hit talent over the 13 cd reduction talent. That's because you can go 20 sec intervals without taking a hit fairly easy, and when you do get hit the EHP boost is insane. This shines as you progress to higher difficulties, becaue you get less and less kills so stacking up kill temp HP becomes harder.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the concept of tank is not real, hope this helps

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

the concept of tank is not real, hope this helps

I can hear the 'ACSHUALLY' from where I am, I seek the sounds of mouthbreathing to find you in a corner channeling the winds into another shitpost. I take out my grudgeraker

"There's just 'controllers', you're not really tanking anything... technically..."

I fire. Twice.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 15, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*screaming into mic* I'M THE TANK LET ME CARRY THE GRIM

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

P. S. It takes more than two shots to team kill someone with a grudgeraker, I know this from personal experience.

E: also controller doesn't exist laffo, just get good and kill rats

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is there anything you'd need to control if they are all dead?..

I don't really understand that concept, like high stamina shield weapons exist but wouldn't you be better spent doing the shield bash to attack trick than just sitting and blocking for your team. I know ironbreaker has that aggro thing but it doesn't seem to work or everything's dying too fast for me to notice

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is also the fact that you can't have both the slayer and the ironbreaker on the same team, not only is the slayer being useless, he is taking up the slot of someone useful and sir kruber and the rare handmaiden are the only tanks besides the ironbreaker and the ironbreaker is on a level above them honestly.

Just did some quickplay, queued into skittergate, halescourge, skittergate, skittergate, skittergate, halescourge, on the final halescourge the team decided to not jump off a cliff this time and just get it done, skipped all grims and tomes for extra healing and still had 3 teammates with 1 hp of grey health and no heals left.

Boss levels should give more exp and boxes for completion. You usually fight more bosses than usual, the levels are longer, and harder.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off regional matchmaking for quick play?

I'm... Not a fan of my local community.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Coolguye posted:

Witch-Hunt gives everyone a 10% damage bonus to tagged enemies

his Animosity shout is one of only three actives in the game that can make the chaos spawn drop someone he's about to munch on (the other two are Kruber's).

Four. Bounty Hunter magnum can also make the spawn drop your friends.

I think I've also seen the pyromancer spooky skull stagger bosses, but I can't confirm if that is enough to make a spawn drop someone.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sharkopath posted:

Is there anything you'd need to control if they are all dead?..

I don't really understand that concept, like high stamina shield weapons exist but wouldn't you be better spent doing the shield bash to attack trick than just sitting and blocking for your team. I know ironbreaker has that aggro thing but it doesn't seem to work or everything's dying too fast for me to notice

Usually if you go ham on a horde you have to slowly back pedal a bit, which can be a bad time at certain map points. Putting up a shield and just sitting there is practically a guarentee that all the rats in a horde will neither get past you or actually hurt anyone, assuming it's a good area of the map for it. Otherwise, "controller" usually involves being hella-shoving with your like eight stamina to knock down fifty rats at all sides and let your teammates safely blend them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also if your shield has off balance on it every rat who hits you suddenly becomes extremely vulnerable to being blended.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Both times I’ve done skittergate, the first boss has bugged out and just stood there twitching as we sail on him. By the time he successfully transforms he then dies a second later. Have other people encountered this?

Also do you think the director takes into account how well you’ve done with a group in previous rounds? Joined some pubbies playing veteran for 6 or so matches. I swear as the matches went on the hordes got larger and larger and our kill totals started going through the roof? Last couple just felt like an endless horde almost.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just bought this game and I die a lot. I like it.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

I can hear the 'ACSHUALLY' from where I am, I seek the sounds of mouthbreathing to find you in a corner channeling the winds into another shitpost. I take out my grudgeraker

"There's just 'controllers', you're not really tanking anything... technically..."

I fire. Twice.

post of the day

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Okay I think I got the hang of this game where do I go to get fancy fire-hats for Sienna

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hit it in the head the armor is weak there!
Don't hit it in the body hit it in the head!
Don't hit the armor!
Hit it in the head!
Don't hit the armor!
Hit it in the head!
Hit it in the head the armor is thinner there!
Don't hit it in the body hit it in the head!
Don't hit the armor!

Gods, I can't keep going.
Gods, I can't keep going.

There needs to be a slider to reduce calls out like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Okay I think I got the hang of this game where do I go to get fancy fire-hats for Sienna

i-i dont think hats are in the game yet or if they are they are likely red rarity or something