Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Looke posted:

the hats in dota plus are not very good atm

Tuskar one is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Most advice for gaining MMR is poo poo I've discovered over the years. What actually worked was like two pieces of advice, one from some random guy on Reddit and one from Purge. The first piece of advice said there's no magic bullet like spamming meta heroes or counterpicking or filling holes in your team or whatever. Just narrow your hero pool down to like 2 roles and a few heroes in each role and do nothing but that. It's better be good at a few things than mediocre at 30 things. Plus you can start playing the game on autopilot and you'll only be dedicating mental energy to decisions that actually matter. The other part was just purge saying variance is a normal part of the game and you're probably not going to win every game no matter what. You can be gaining hundreds of MMR and still have a string where you lose 5 games in a row.

Once I started playing with those two things in mind I gained like 1000 MMR in a month.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Lyrical and Winter casting Mineski vs. TNC on Starladder, too. Good Doter.

e: god, facing iceiceice playing dark willow sounds like a curse from hell, this horrible fairy tormenting you forever

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 14, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fnatic and TNC are playing in the final game of the SEA starladder minor qualifier right now

http://www.multitwitch.tv/dotastarladder_en

Fnatic's lategame looks way better to me but EE is the global equalizer

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Incoherence posted:

The Axe immortal matters because it's a lot easier to teach yourself Call's range when you're using it: yes, you can mouse over the skill for a similar effect but it's a lot more natural to just see how big it is every time you cast it. There are a couple other items with ability animations that are easier to judge, and a couple pay-to-lose ones like the ones you mentioned that are easier to dodge.

Similarly, the informational aspects of Dota Plus are things you could replicate with an overlay of some sort (or some easy-to-use UI on Dotabuff or whatever); it's just easier to use them if they're right in the game, and their usefulness decreases as you learn the game.

On the other hand it's axe

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol OG is losing to 'Team Moriarty'

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

lol OG is losing to 'Team Moriarty'

please do not disparage the gaming titan known as uh, SaberLighT

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
To be fair Reso isnt playing and og without Reso is basically a pub stack

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OG did in fact lose the bo3 to team moriarty

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

nm

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Once again I won money with Fnatic. OG looking like the new Fnatic tho.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Dreamleague S9 Talent list is out:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Who is killerpigeon? Did they win that casting competition?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fogged is good but I still miss Draskyl :(

He's becoming more of an angry old man every day though and I think he basically gave up on casting.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
killerpigeon did a bunch of casts of some qualifier recently. he's not good :( but maybe he can be with practice

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Fogged is good but I still miss Draskyl :(

He's becoming more of an angry old man every day though and I think he basically gave up on casting.

When blitz was casting that eg v col epicenter NA finals draskyl said that he's basically staying back to spend time with a dying family member.

e: he will be probably be back afterwards

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Knowlue posted:

When blitz was casting that eg v col epicenter NA finals draskyl said that he's basically staying back to spend time with a dying family member.

His stream is relatively popular but I can't imagine it's popular enough that he can't cast events at all, so I sort of assumed he was staying there for family reasons. I know he lives with his dad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Knowlue posted:

Oh I didn't realize that, that really sucks. :smith: Also explains why he tilts so hard sometimes, it must be a huge mental toll on someone.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.twitch.tv/geschampionship GESC is on with EG vs Infamous

purge, sheever, godz at least on the panel

fnatic, vg.j china, fnatic also at the tournament

e: blitz and cap will cast this one

emdash fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 15, 2018

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The tunes between matches were some high school jazz club level muzak.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

VGJ is so wonderfully bad.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
rrq vs navi better be the clowniest poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

That is an incredibly cheap set

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
General with the 3-12-3 Tiny.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Haha, OG v. Moriarty rematch for MDL qualifiers: https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

Haha, OG v. Moriarty rematch for MDL qualifiers: https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

Do we know why Reso isn't playing? Seems like OG should have been the favorites in this qualifier but not having your best core certainly brings you down.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

scuz posted:

I spent like 10 minutes checking that this wasn't a re-run.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Do we know why Reso isn't playing? Seems like OG should have been the favorites in this qualifier but not having your best core certainly brings you down.
Breaky on stream said that Reso had a date and couldn't make it. I'm thinking he wanted the sex from his girlfriend and the rest of OG were like "sure, we'll make it through open qualifiers, no problem" and this is what happens. :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

Breaky on stream said that Reso had a date and couldn't make it. I'm thinking he wanted the sex from his girlfriend and the rest of OG were like "sure, we'll make it through open qualifiers, no problem" and this is what happens. :shrug:

Technically this isn't open quals but that makes it even more hilarious.

Like dude, this is a qualifier to make a MAJOR. Even if you don't think you can get top four you can still get a piece of that million dollar prize pool, plus I'm sure sponsors would really like seeing you there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Technically this isn't open quals but that makes it even more hilarious.

Like dude, this is a qualifier to make a MAJOR. Even if you don't think you can get top four you can still get a piece of that million dollar prize pool, plus I'm sure sponsors would really like seeing you there.
Totally agree. Maybe Reso didn't wanna lose/play no more.

This here game features s4 Leshrac mid :wow:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
they did take game 2 in about 18 minutes, which, I don't really know how to take

I guess OG can run Leshrac now and it's good for their drafting? who even knows

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fly's drafting's been kinda stale so seeing a lesh mid for s4 was definitely a curveball that was fun to watch.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
get a slurpee headache it's time for dota 7-Eleven

http://store.steampowered.com/news/38221/

quote:

7.11:
==

* This version is focused on changing how the gold and buyback formulas work

* Buyback cost changed from 100 + ( Level * Level * 1.5) + (Time * 0.25) to 100 + Networth / 13
* Buyback no longer reduces gold earned after respawning

* AoE gold for the losing team no longer scales with the overall team networth difference, just the individual networth of the dying hero. Previously, a core on your team doing really well meant that a support on your team dying gave an increasing amount of gold to the enemy.

- The comeback component is now just: ( DyingHeroNetWorth * 0.026 + 70 ) / # of killers

This takes the place of the components below that considers Networth
For example in the 1 killer case, it replaces (NetWorthEarlyFactor * 90 + NetWorthFactor * 0.03375).
Like the previous formula, it is only given to the losing team.

* The gold multiplier based on the dying hero's net worth rank changed from 1.2/1.1/1.0/0.9/0.8 to 1.2/1.05/0.9/0.75/0.6

* For reference, the previous AoE gold formula is listed below:

Terms:
--

NetWorthDifference = ( EnemyTeamNetWorth / AlliedTeamNetWorth ) - 1 [With a min of zero and a max of 1]
NetWorthFactor = NetWorthDifference * VictimNetWorth
NetWorthEarlyFactor (for when Enemy has more NW) = ( EnemyTeamNetWorth - AlliedTeamNetWorth ) / 4000 [Has a max of 1]
NetWorthPoorFactor = 1.3 - 0.1 * NetWorthRank (dying's hero's networth rank)
NetWorthRankingFactor (hero's rank amongst allies involved in the kill): For 1/2/3/4/5 from poorest to richest are: { 1 } / { 1.25, 0.75 } / { 1.25, 1.0, 0.75 } / { 1.25, 1.08, 0.916, 0.75 } / { 1.25, 1.125, 1.0, 0.875, 0.75}

Formula:
--
1 Killer: NetWorthPoorFactor * NetWorthRankingFactor * ( 126 + 4.5 * VictimLevel + NetWorthEarlyFactor * 90 + NetWorthFactor * 0.03375 )
2 Killer: NetWorthPoorFactor * NetWorthRankingFactor * ( 63 + 3.6 * VictimLevel + NetWorthEarlyFactor * 67.5 + NetWorthFactor * 0.03375 )
3 Killer: NetWorthPoorFactor * NetWorthRankingFactor * ( 31.5 + 2.7 * VictimLevel + NetWorthEarlyFactor * 45 + NetWorthFactor * 0.03375 )
4 Killer: NetWorthPoorFactor * NetWorthRankingFactor * ( 22.5 + 1.8 * VictimLevel + NetWorthEarlyFactor * 31.5 + NetWorthFactor * 0.027 )
5 Killer: NetWorthPoorFactor * NetWorthRankingFactor * ( 18 + 0.9 * VictimLevel + NetWorthEarlyFactor * 22.5 + NetWorthFactor * 0.02025 )

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

quote:

* Buyback no longer reduces gold earned after respawning

:eyepop:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

farming buybacks inc

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
now ppd is going to be able to buyback for free every game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Can't wait for the purge video

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Each 1000 networth costs about 77 gold to buy back.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

baby delivery truck posted:

now ppd is going to be able to buyback for free every game.

Not only that, but he can feed as much as he wants now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
"these are all basically free" - me, after my 6th death as a support in the first 15 minutes

• Locked thread