Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Roman Reigns is...
This poll is closed.
the NEW People's Champion 2 1.77%
the voice of the voiceless, the new CM Punk 11 9.73%
Vince McMahon's nemesis who Vince definitely doesn't favor in any way 19 16.81%
also wondering why there was a cameraman in the women's lockerroom 47 41.59%
THE BIG DOG! 34 30.09%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Do it ironically posted:

Culkin loves wrestling from what I’ve read

Yeah, especially 90s wrestling, his podcast co-host mentioned something about a particular Survivor Series and Culkin said "The Deadly Game, yes". So he knows the score. The other guy (Matt Cohen) is more of a current fan trying to get Culk back into it and to PWG shows and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

VJeff posted:

Does Roman even have crossover appeal? It's my understanding that they still mostly hold the dude back from doing more than a couple media appearances or interviews or podcasts whatever because he's so bad at them and always comes off like a total prick.

It feels like it says a lot about Roman's acting and likability charisma that even four years into his Face of the Company push they haven't even bothered to put him in a WWE Films role of any kind. Not even in something that feels easy like the strong, silent dude in a buddy cop comedy action film where Miz or Cena could do the "heavy lifting" for the acting and he'd only have a few lines/reactions. Or even a "I'll go to the papers if I have to" cameo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, it feels like all of a few months ago they had put Roman back in the tag division, eased off of the singles death push and suddenly people were generally okay with him. Now...

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I'm going to put the money on Vince's problem with Braun is that he's 'southern'. Like, Braun wouldn't look out of place in a mid 1980s NWA show, and that irritates Vince's WE'RE NOT RASSLIN DAMMIT phobia.

He'll use southern style people in prominent positions, but never as 'the guy'. Austin is on the border line, and I'm of the opinion Austin wouldn't be as big under Vince if there wasn't a fire under his rear end.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

E-Diddy posted:

He had a cameo in Wrestling Isn't Wrestling, didn't he?

He does have a history of hanging around with some pretty shady characters

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Yeah, especially 90s wrestling, his podcast co-host mentioned something about a particular Survivor Series and Culkin said "The Deadly Game, yes". So he knows the score. The other guy (Matt Cohen) is more of a current fan trying to get Culk back into it and to PWG shows and whatnot.

Was in the crowd at Wrestlemania VII too - which alone isn't much but you know.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rusev vs. Culkin in House of Horrors part 2.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
None of this is surprising but I was told Moolah was Vince’s call. And he is furious

However, along with sponsor pressure, WWE is trying to get to the finish line on new TV deal and wants zero controversy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Midnightghoul posted:

He does have a history of hanging around with some pretty shady characters
Yeah he was friends of someone who has a real helicopter parent of a father

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

rovert posted:

None of this is surprising but I was told Moolah was Vince’s call. And he is furious

However, along with sponsor pressure, WWE is trying to get to the finish line on new TV deal and wants zero controversy.

Haha sick

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah he was friends of someone who has a real helicopter parent of a father

real stretch for that joke

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Explains why Vince's initial reaction to the criticism was to double down on the Moolah lionization on Smackdown.

Anyway, Friday is APPARENTLY the Johnny Bravo reveal for reals this time. Meltzer more or less intimated to me listening to him at least that WWE paid for Roman Reigns not to be mentioned in it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why would they pay to protect to luther in 2018

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A serious question: Does Roman have the name or brand recognition outside of the wrestling world that a Hogan/Micheals/Rock/Austin did? Do normal people know who he is the way they know who Cena is, or who Bret Hart was?

And if so, what is their impression of the scowling wet haired Samoan bloke in the vest? Coz Cena was known, and loved by non wrestling guys as a tireless Make a Wish guy and being all round nice. Hogan was known as a marketing juggernaut, (as was pre movies Rock).

I just don't get the impression that Roman is at all known outside of the wrestling bubble.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1993 Bret Hart, yes. Any of the rest, no

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

rovert posted:

Inject this post into my veins.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

rovert posted:

While this owns, he's absolutely gonna take this out on everyone through some spiteful-rear end booking ain't he.

More spiteful than usual, that is.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BrigadierSensible posted:

A serious question: Does Roman have the name or brand recognition outside of the wrestling world that a Hogan/Micheals/Rock/Austin did? Do normal people know who he is the way they know who Cena is, or who Bret Hart was?.

It's tough to get any definitive measurements for this but I don't think Roman is as much of a star as Austin was during the attitude era.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I now expect the battle royal to be mysteriously booted for time. Kid Rock will get a 20 minute concert where he sings about women being bitches

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Given that WWE is not on the verge of dying, I would say Roman is a significantly better top star than Shawn was.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Given that WWE is not on the verge of dying, I would say Roman is a significantly better top star than Shawn was.

If Vince was booking like this back in 1994, the WWF would have actually died.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BrigadierSensible posted:

A serious question: Does Roman have the name or brand recognition outside of the wrestling world that a Hogan/Micheals/Rock/Austin did? Do normal people know who he is the way they know who Cena is, or who Bret Hart was?

And if so, what is their impression of the scowling wet haired Samoan bloke in the vest? Coz Cena was known, and loved by non wrestling guys as a tireless Make a Wish guy and being all round nice. Hogan was known as a marketing juggernaut, (as was pre movies Rock).

I just don't get the impression that Roman is at all known outside of the wrestling bubble.

my mother in law actually really likes roman from a commercial he did with his daughter and requested that i take a picture of him when i went to raw in chicago.

so, i dunno man, people see random poo poo.

i should mention she is absolutely not a wrestling fan in any way.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Vince is going to make Tyler Breeze win the not-Moolah battle royale out of spite now.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

While this owns, he's absolutely gonna take this out on everyone through some spiteful-rear end booking ain't he.

More spiteful than usual, that is.

Becky, Liv and Dakota Kai are really nice folks. I hope not.

Becky has always had this innate sense of fairness about her and doing what is right. You can observe it how she structures her promos that she cuts on WWE's Youtube and stuff. She has a real "babyface" constitution.

WWE put her and her colleagues in a really lovely spot by having them try to peddle the Moolah nonsense.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Even aside from all the horrible poo poo she did, wasnt Moolah responsible for making women's wrestling the sideshow it was for years with the hair pulling and tumbling?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Sionistic posted:

Even aside from all the horrible poo poo she did, wasnt Moolah responsible for making women's wrestling the sideshow it was for years with the hair pulling and tumbling?

Yeah as she couldn't keep up. Women's Wrestling in the US the first half of the century was closer to Japanese women's Wrestling from an athleticism and credibility POV.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

See, Vince built himself a nice little situation where he can just get fat on TV rights deals and sponsorship deals and they bring in so much guaranteed money that, for the most part, he doesn't have to care how many people go to his shows or buy his network or his merchandise. He has so much guaranteed money, it doesn't matter. So he can book whatever he wants and doesn't have to care if nobody likes his chosen golden boy.

But sometimes, it blows up in his face quite spectacularly. :allears:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

suck my dick vince, just like those girls moolah pimped out were forced to suck promoters dicks you old fossil piece of poo poo

-sincerely, Snickers

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Snickers is the best.
Snickers number one.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

See, Vince built himself a nice little situation where he can just get fat on TV rights deals and sponsorship deals and they bring in so much guaranteed money that, for the most part, he doesn't have to care how many people go to his shows or buy his network or his merchandise. He has so much guaranteed money, it doesn't matter. So he can book whatever he wants and doesn't have to care if nobody likes his chosen golden boy.

But sometimes, it blows up in his face quite spectacularly. :allears:

I hope they already made the Moolah trophy too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hope they give the women a trophy of the Wrestlemania sign, so we can have the winner point to it for the next 3 months

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

rovert posted:

I hope they already made the Moolah trophy too.

It's revealed at WM and they've just put a crude Stephanie photo printed on cardboard over the face.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
WWE could just give the Moolah trophy to TNA, I'm sure they'd be happy to have something they could make their new championship.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I 100% believe they already made the trophy (probably to be unveiled next week or the week after) and that's why Vince tried doubling down on the name before the sponsors forced him to cave

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The NextVR Now app has a preview of some of the footage from Fastlane on it. Says a full video is coming soon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

I 100% believe they already made the trophy (probably to be unveiled next week or the week after) and that's why Vince tried doubling down on the name before the sponsors forced him to cave

Have Braun destroy it in a cool way.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm glad that the people behind Snickers helped get the name changed, I didn't expect their involvement at all.

I should have known they were a force of good, they are the middle name of Shinsuke Snickers Nakamura after all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

DeathChicken posted:

Man, it feels like all of a few months ago they had put Roman back in the tag division, eased off of the singles death push and suddenly people were generally okay with him. Now...

The Shield reunion was doing pretty well, then Roman got sick and they replaced him with better people, and it quietly fizzled out.

Roman's not great, but the guy also has some remarkably bad luck with his pushes too. That hernia injury really hurt his first major push, and then there was the wellness violation in the middle of one of his title runs. I half expect something to go horribly wrong for him the week before WM.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roman will get trapped in a voodoo haunted house in NOLA with spooky spectres and creepy ghouls and the ghost of Orville Redenbacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gonz posted:

Bray will get trapped in a voodoo haunted house in NOLA with spooky spectres and creepy ghouls and the ghost of Orville Redenbacher.

Spoilers for Ultimate Deletion

• Locked thread