Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Trying my first machine empire game, and holy hell, this seems busted. I mean, I guess I have to build my pops manually, but... uh...

I can inhabit any planet I want, I have no penalties to anything. Sure my pops use energy, but gently caress it, they don't use food, so I can just build extra energy/mineral/science buildings on all the spots that I would normally try to make farms. Happiness is a complete non-factor, so all my guys produce the correct amount of goods. My leaders are immortal.....

...............what the gently caress is the downside to robots? Robots are just better than fleshlings, as near as I can tell.

in addition to what's been said, spiritualist empires loving loathe machine empires (double for assimilators) and if you border one early it's really annoying

cock hero flux posted:

war exhaustion :words:

the reason they're backing off from the soft cap is due to multiplayer; the issue you run into is players in a losing war spitefully refusing all peace demands once both sides are at 100% war exhaustion in order to gently caress over the aggressor's economy so that other people can kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Well, I found a kind of lovely new thing in the beta branch, Xenophobe FE's will get pissed at you if you control a wormhole connected to them because it counts as borders even if you can't use wormholes or see where they go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

imweasel09 posted:

Well, I found a kind of lovely new thing in the beta branch, Xenophobe FE's will get pissed at you if you control a wormhole connected to them because it counts as borders even if you can't use wormholes or see where they go.

DS9.txt

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only solution right now for the AI is to use glavius's AI mod and the enhanced AI mod. together they ensure that the AI builds (somewhat) sensibly, goes to war fairly often, and doesn't end up in an economic death spiral.

it's also a good idea to pause every fifty years, tag-switch to all of the AIs (they're numbered sequentially, just enter tag 1, tag 2, etc. into the console; the player empire is tag 0), and look for glaring economic deficits such as starvation or energy shortage. cheat them a one-time infusion of food or energy and they'll probably be able to get going again. this is especially important if you have any mods, such as trait mods, that change the economic balance from a normal state in any way. don't unpause before tagging back to your empire though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jazerus posted:

the only solution right now for the AI is to use glavius's AI mod and the enhanced AI mod. together they ensure that the AI builds (somewhat) sensibly, goes to war fairly often, and doesn't end up in an economic death spiral.

it's also a good idea to pause every fifty years, tag-switch to all of the AIs (they're numbered sequentially, just enter tag 1, tag 2, etc. into the console; the player empire is tag 0), and look for glaring economic deficits such as starvation or energy shortage. cheat them a one-time infusion of food or energy and they'll probably be able to get going again. this is especially important if you have any mods, such as trait mods, that change the economic balance from a normal state in any way. don't unpause before tagging back to your empire though.

Must like they gave up on the sector AI and gave players direct control when ever they need to fix that poo poo, they should just do the same thing with the AI empires in the game. Just make the player play all the empires rather than admit the tile system as implemented was a mistake.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Okay one of the mods I forgot to turn off was what was loving with the AI resource multiplier. Excited to try the new difficulty again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Honestly the biggest AI bugbear I have currently is just how long they sometimes leave systems unclaimed. I suspect they sometimes note that a system is hostile and then just avoid it forever. You can best observe this on those Youtube observer mode vids. Seems to affect crises most of all; they'll do a great job right at their arrival but once anyone manages to give a bloody nose it goes right to hell, fleets will carve their territory up, and they'll never put it back together properly even if they otherwise regain momentum.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
The scaling difficulty is bugged and works the opposite of what's intended. It starts at 50% bonuses to everything and gradually ticks down to nothing.

:laffo:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol the quest to go ever further to find any corner where people are having secret, forbidden thoughts like complaining about stuff they shouldn't, just to endlessly parade it in front of people as if it's representative

It's fun to make poo poo up I guess, find the 5 people that don't like something and sit there incensed (or fake incensed) that they would dare think that stuff, just such a weird exercise

Did you know 3 people on steam didn't like it? Here's all 3 of their posts, so that you can read the complaints, which you didn't care to read in the first place because its dumb poo poo from idiots, but it's there. It's critical you understand some people are posting dumb reviews or comments, if you play Stellaris, because that makes you a Stakeholder or something :shrug:

And literally the only response is some variant of:

Such discourse, let's do it every DLC release in every thread, ah wait goons have it covered
In which r/relationships thread regular ham sandwiches calls out people for going to other sites to find idiots to make fun of

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is the opposite of a good start.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Whoa.

The whole Loop/Worm storyline is a wild fuckin' ride.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Guildencrantz posted:

The scaling difficulty is bugged and works the opposite of what's intended. It starts at 50% bonuses to everything and gradually ticks down to nothing.

:laffo:

And here I wondered why almost everybody very quickly went superior to overwhelming vs me until I overtook them by 2280.

e: assuming what you say is true.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 16, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You could preemptively declare a containment war, take the station one jump ahead of you, and fortify the crap out of it before the machines can send the fleet back!

And yeah, the Worm in Waiting is an amazing piece of content. Alexis Kennedy's next game comes out in a few month, and I really hope Paradox does another collaboration with him once he's free. More of his writing style mixed in with Stellaris' ancient and cycle-ridden galaxy can only be a good thing.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

At least it's incredibly apt how the color scheme and shape makes it look like a turd.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dump a fortress with a shipyard at the edge of their territory and set it as your fleets' homebase. Leapfrog over them to take the free system, also fort it up. As soon as you think you have the fleet for it take the system at the fork and dig in like a goddamned tick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant, closed borders. Also im fanatic pacifist hahaw.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What does a fanatic pacifist even do in this game

I guess explore, expand into empty space, then what, wait for the crisis?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cant, closed borders. Also im fanatic pacifist hahaw.
Just noticed that when my post loaded. Scrap the leapfrog but but do the adjacent shipyard and attack as soon as physically possible. Pretty sure you can still containment war as a fanatic pacifist, but I think your people's idealistic attitudes are about to take a serious hammering.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or just keep insulting their tiny dicks once a month until they attack you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

OwlFancier posted:

Or just keep insulting their tiny dicks once a month until they attack you.

^That's the pacifist super move right there. Just gear up as hard as possible for a fight and then tell them what they can put in their cloaca.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're Fanatic Purifiers, their opinion of me is already below -1000.

I guess I could wait a little bit and try build up my fleet while waiting for them to attack.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're Fanatic Purifiers, their opinion of me is already below -1000.

I guess I could wait a little bit and try build up my fleet while waiting for them to attack.

I think insulting them will still make them more likely to attack you.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gort posted:

What does a fanatic pacifist even do in this game

I guess explore, expand into empty space, then what, wait for the crisis?

loving nothing, because there are no individual mechanics assigned to pacifism that would make playing as them interesting.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Deleter posted:

loving nothing, because there are no individual mechanics assigned to pacifism that would make playing as them interesting.

My first 2.0 game was xenophile pacifist, and the interesting mechanic I found was having my dudes migrate to every other empire and slowly turn the entire galaxy pacifist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

Use the extra core systems and resource bonus to get super buff, then suddenly nope out of pacifism and initiate Project Big Stick.

Big Stick is the name of your colossus.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Critical gameplay issue:
I conquered a system with a planet in it and because it's got a settled planet I can't delete the ugly plantoid station and replace it with a beautiful sleek molluscoid starbase.

:qq:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

My first 2.0 game was xenophile pacifist, and the interesting mechanic I found was having my dudes migrate to every other empire and slowly turn the entire galaxy pacifist.

I mean sure, but that's not an immediate and exciting mechanic that's fun to tinker with, like authoritarian slavery or the various robot forms. One of the ways I think Stellaris is weak is that a lot of the AI aliens I come across don't really have an identity because no matter what their civics or ethics choices are, they basically all do the same mechanical things as I do except more incompetently, so I just end up judging them by their fleet strength and by if they hate me or not. I'm kind of just surrounded by a blob of jerks that I'm sizing up.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Been continuing my original 2.0 game with the beta patch and I just have to keep complimenting the revisions. The newer war and combat mechanics continue to be nothing short of fantastic. Was about to turn off the game when the Prethoryn showed up for the first time in one of my games (it's been all Unbidden all the time until now) and I've been hooked for two hours playing out the war. I was running away with the game before the scourge showed up, but I'm not sure how this final war is going to turn out. Plus it might not actually be the final war because the Xenophile FE woke up to fight the Prethoryn, and there's a Xenophobe FE in the game. War in Heaven seems likely if we survive the scourge.

The galaxy's politics are pretty cool too. There's one big aggressive federation on one side of the galaxy that's been in repeated wars with a big devouring swarm for the whole game. There's also a second big federation that formed peacefully and kept gathering allies after I won a couple of wars. Because I'm playing fanatic purifiers, I couquered and exterminated a couple of neighbors outright - causing a huge burst of threat that caused all my neighbors to jump directly into the peaceful defensive federation. Which then declared a containment war on me. I won that war too, but it was touch and go and I didn't have time to fully rebuild before the swarm showed up and ate a quarter of my population (so far).

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 16, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lol just found last night that if you're Purifiers and meet marauders, they're like "we're a bunch of space assholes, and we still think you guys are huge douches"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

I could see maybe some sort of "show our neighbours that we're space Jesus and they should join us" soft-power mechanics for fanatic pacifist working out maybe where you could support pacifist pops in other empires to secede and join you or something.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Gort posted:

I could see maybe some sort of "show our neighbours that we're space Jesus and they should join us" soft-power mechanics for fanatic pacifist working out maybe where you could support pacifist pops in other empires to secede and join you or something.

The problem with this, cool as it might be, is the same as with all sabotage/espionage/dissent-sowing mechanics in strategy games: it's not fun to be on the receiving side. Invariably you have two scenarios:

A) It's possible to completely protect against, which becomes a checkbox for the player and another thing the AI isn't competent at, or

B) It's impossible to completely protect against, so players are getting spammed with debuffs and costs by AI's - not fun at all.

Galactic espionage and sending agitators to turn your neighbors' people against war are awesome in concept, but I doubt it can be implemented well :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

The problem with this, cool as it might be, is the same as with all sabotage/espionage/dissent-sowing mechanics in strategy games: it's not fun to be on the receiving side. Invariably you have two scenarios:

A) It's possible to completely protect against, which becomes a checkbox for the player and another thing the AI isn't competent at, or

B) It's impossible to completely protect against, so players are getting spammed with debuffs and costs by AI's - not fun at all.

Galactic espionage and sending agitators to turn your neighbors' people against war are awesome in concept, but I doubt it can be implemented well :(

I quite like the idea, as long as the way you deal with it is by getting a CB against the pacifist that's doing this to you. That brings the way of dealing with the situation more in line with how you deal with the expansion ambitions of other empire types, and if you get a diplomatic "piss off or we invade" option to make them back down without a war it could work well. Probably shouldn't work pacifist vs pacifist but other than that it seems like it'd be fun to play.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the "remain Klingon mindless bloodthirsty assholes" casus belli sounds like a good counter. After all, it is effectively war on your country. Ensuring that you don't have many pacifist pops would prevent it working, too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sometimes I would really like to have a fourth ethic slot... that would be a cool ascension perk, then I could make militaristic, xenophile, materialist, authoritarians etc. Or double fanatics

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guildencrantz posted:

This is valid, if you assume that playing well means the stuff doesn't happen, as opposed to choosing which of the available interesting options is best for your situation. A well implemented /anything/ is centred around choosing between multiple, equivalently interesting options.

Let's say a pacifist is pacifisting your empire. Let's say this just means you've gained massive pacifist attraction. Let's also say the faction system has been overhauled to be way more interesting. This should mean you have a number of options:
1) Accept the pacifist lifestyle and embrace it into your government.
2) Ignore the pacifists and have a bunch of events and mechanics trigger from having a large, unhappy faction. These events and mechanics should also be engaging, not just a production and influence penalty like now.
3) Suppress the pacifists using interesting mechanics which kick off a different bunch of events. These events and mechanics should also also be engaging, not just dumping influence on the problem and having it go away.

Chalks posted:

I quite like the idea, as long as the way you deal with it is by getting a CB against the pacifist that's doing this to you. That brings the way of dealing with the situation more in line with how you deal with the expansion ambitions of other empire types, and if you get a diplomatic "piss off or we invade" option to make them back down without a war it could work well. Probably shouldn't work pacifist vs pacifist but other than that it seems like it'd be fun to play.
This is a really good idea. Most games with non-laser based conflict have no real consequences for getting caught bar "lost a spy" or "the guy you don't like and who doesn't like you now doesn't like you a bit more than earlier". If catching an agitator initiated an actual concrete change the the political landscape that would be great.

With gestalt consciousness and fanatic purifiers in the game I think it's fine to add a bunch of unignorable faction and politics stuff, as long as it's fun. If someone don't want to play politics and mind their pops on principle they can take one of the explicit map-painting empires.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 16, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Milky Moor posted:

It feels like your average AI Empire will stagnate well before 2300. I've seen heaps of Empires get their homeworld rebelling from them, and that lone homeworld may then take over the empire it used to belong to without much problem. I don't know what happens to the minerals I give vassals of late, but they certainly don't use it to build things on tiles.

I posted earlier that my last game it happened to every single AI empire (except for the purifiers) and all their planets were empty. Literally every one that wasn't their capital.
People suggested starvation spirals but for every empire?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

President Ark posted:

the reason they're backing off from the soft cap is due to multiplayer; the issue you run into is players in a losing war spitefully refusing all peace demands once both sides are at 100% war exhaustion in order to gently caress over the aggressor's economy so that other people can kill them

Yeah, but it's pretty trivial to fix that by having the status quo peace only kick in in that circumstance. If you're at 100% war exhaustion and haven't managed to take back a system or defeat a fleet in battle in the last, say, couple of months, then the enemy can status quo you for free. The biggest issue with it is the fact that it's basically just a timer, not that the game will sometimes forcibly end a war. That's fine, or at least acceptable if it does it in a situation that makes sense. But as of now there's just ticking war exhaustion and it's really not a good way to do it at all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jazerus posted:

Wait, those two mods work together instead of just stepping on each other's toes? :wtc:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Must like they gave up on the sector AI and gave players direct control when ever they need to fix that poo poo, they should just do the same thing with the AI empires in the game. Just make the player play all the empires rather than admit the tile system as implemented was a mistake.

i don't think it's true that tiles are inherently non-workable for the AI like people say sometimes. with glavius+enhanced AI, i'm basically always happy with my sector-built planet layouts when i check in on them, setting aside the fact that glavius intentionally doesn't let them build military buildings like academies and planetary shields, which made sense before 2.0 but absolutely doesn't anymore

anyway the point is, they can actually build a planet up fine with the right tweaks to their priorities. the only glaring issue i see with how the AI handles its planets, now, is something that isn't huge but which has to be fixed on paradox's end because the relevant AI code isn't moddable: AIs really need to be able and willing to replace their buildings. i tag switch to an AI who has paradise domes, or visitor centers, and...usually they don't have many. they never bother to put a paradise dome over a farm, or a visitor center over a power plant. if the planet isn't fully built-up, then of course they build them, but if they get the building after running out of tiles on a planet, that planet will never receive a paradise dome or whatever. the AI should probably be evaluating every planet every few years to make sure that it is using its planet-unique buildings.

also they desperately need to be responsive to food shortages, of course.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The old war mechanics were loving awful

They were great. You went to war over a specific set of systems, you fought until you claimed them or the enemy claimed stuff off you. It was easy to understand and made sense.
Yes they needed a way to make it less of an arse if there was another enemy in the fight, but throwing it out altogether is sad because for me it worked.