Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shoehead posted:

Oh I'm sorry, you're right. She's his (second) cousin's widow! It's only inappropriate not abhorrent haha

Frankly that's tame. Widowed people sometimes marry their siblings in law!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Means absolutely nothing, but

https://twitter.com/RileyKeough/status/971153385478131713

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hell, same.

And I'm in the right city for it .......

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Jesus.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kind of puts into context Cheryl tearing into Betty and Veronica after they kissed way back in the first episode.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Was hoping for something spooky in the Lodge lodge. That whole episode just seemed like wrapping up some "what if they found out" plotlines in a very immediate and unsatisfying way. The first episode of the series I found kinda boring.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Quote-Unquote posted:

Was hoping for something spooky in the Lodge lodge. That whole episode just seemed like wrapping up some "what if they found out" plotlines in a very immediate and unsatisfying way. The first episode of the series I found kinda boring.

Honestly, I was just glad to have it all out in the open, have everyone pretend to be fine, and then resolve the issue eventually, rather than drag it out for the remainder of the season as you would expect on a CW show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought all the sequences with the core four sitting around and talking like adults in their forties were hilarious. And the cinnamontography was great.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like how Toni thought of incest first when Cheryl said she'd been in love with somebody.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am so on board with Toni/Cheryl.

Serious goddamn squee going on here.

Also doubly on board with Mob Enforcer Archie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao Cheryl's call to Jughead.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Quote-Unquote posted:

I was worried they'd go for a ghost or scary serial killer in the woods type poo poo. I'm glad they resisted.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought all the sequences with the core four sitting around and talking like adults in their forties were hilarious. And the cinnamontography was great.

I love that Archie and Ronnie are such a boring middle aged couple. They're teenagers in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, and Ronnie is sat in bed reading a book and Archie is too tired for sex.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

esperterra posted:

lmao Cheryl's call to Jughead.

If Betty = Serena and Veronica = Blair, then Cheryl = Gossip Girl.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That phone call was 101% a Blair Waldorf move tbh

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah but her role is taken.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I want rewatch Gossip Girl now

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Can't believe this episode didn't end with Archie and Jughead kissing so then there's no jealousy whatsoever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

rapeface posted:

Yeah but her role is taken.

Yeah, it's been taken by Cheryl since day one, silly! Ronnie's always been way more of a Serena. She isn't really a person who pulls (often cruel) schemes against her friends while somehow being the most loyal and caring out of the lot. She's more of an ex bad girl who wants to be good but still likes to party hard.

Agree to disagree imho

e: also same it's been a while since my last rewatch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

Can't believe this episode didn't end with Archie and Jughead kissing so then there's no jealousy whatsoever.

Have you seen how the Kevin stuff is progressing? The show would absolutely go there if it could, but there's clearly a higher barrier to entry.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

MorgaineDax posted:

I was twice disappointed, one for wanting to see that and two for having been in more or less the same situation in the past and, well, I kissed a dude.
So fuckin do it Archie! Don't be a bitch!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

rapeface posted:

If Betty = Serena and Veronica = Blair, then Cheryl = Gossip Girl.

Cheryl is Georgina.

rapeface posted:

I want rewatch Gossip Girl now

It’s going to be hard to watch Chuck Bass in rapist mode when the actor is being accused. But yeah, I kinda want a rewatch too. We used to have a good teen drama thread for these kinds of shows.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MorgaineDax posted:

:same: I was super-disappointed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Good lord the Love, Simon plugs this episode were something else

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think seeing Cheryl in that lace robe thing made me understand gay men squealing over female celebrities' fashion choices.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao this dinner at the Blossom's.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is going to end up with Fred, Jughead, Betty and FP vs. Veronica, Archie, Hirim and Hermione, isn't it?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope Betty only checked Chick's DNA against the Blossoms and ofc it doesn't match because he's clearly Alice's love child with FP or some other serpent!!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
"Mumzie, I've had the most frightful daymare,' deserves some sort of award for being such a ridiculous but in-character line.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

esperterra posted:

I hope Betty only checked Chick's DNA against the Blossoms and ofc it doesn't match because he's clearly Alice's love child with FP or some other serpent!!

That is 100% what it's going to be.

Also, noted good judge of character Kevin thinks Chick's okay, so the "twist" is going to be that he's actually a good, if troubled, guy. Calling it now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
TWINS!!!

I'm calling it, next season: Jughead is going to be a prisoner in the prison Hiram is building.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

TWINS!!!

I'm calling it, next season: Jughead is going to be a prisoner in the prison Hiram is building.

I had the exact same thought.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Riverdale Season 2: "Shut your face you half-melted ten cent trollop"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

esperterra posted:

I thought it was already clear Chick was Alice's son but not Hal's, from her wild Serpent days, so we were just waiting for the confirmation FP was his father.

No? Were we supposed to believe he was Hal's son this whole time? I thought that's why Hal was so dead-set against him moving in or reestablishing a relationship with Alice.

But Chick is almost certainly the Black Hood. Calling it now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cornelius has the most wonderful hint of Canadian in his voice. It's not "oh yah b'y y'know eh" but you can totally hear the accent popping through in the dinner scene. I love it when shows are made here and the casting crew totally isn't afraid of grabbing some locals :canada:

Also CherylXToni better goddamn happen, and the Lodge blood rituals, holy petaQ :gowron:

This show is still off the rails and it is the best thing on television right now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I really want to roll my eyes at hackneyed plot/character developments and over-dramatic emphasis, but I can't help but embrace it.

Give me more monologues about sexuality as cross-promotion for movies. Give me more twins of dead characters. Give me more silly names. Give me more crime syndicate plotting. Give me more everything.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But Chick is almost certainly the Black Hood. Calling it now.

Chick will turn out to have 100% purestrain Blossom blood and get all the inheritance.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I know it seemed like the easy call, even before the season started, that Betty's brother was going to be the Black Hood. Even if that does turn out to be true, they've done a VERY good job from distracting me from that idea with all the other stuff happening. It doesn't seem like as obvious a decision as it once did.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought it was already clear Chick was Alice's son but not Hal's, from her wild Serpent days, so we were just waiting for the confirmation FP was his father.

No? Were we supposed to believe he was Hal's son this whole time? I thought that's why Hal was so dead-set against him moving in or reestablishing a relationship with Alice.

Me, too. I thought Hal knew Chick wasn't his child, that he was the child of Alice and some mystery South Side Serpent (FP). The blood test was just weird and out of left field as far as I was concerned. Of course he wouldn't have Blossom blood.

Archie's rationalization about supporting the prison makes me wonder if the Lodge's didn't have more to do with the Black Hood. Using that murder spree as justification just seems too good to be true.

All the drops at the last minute were great, though: murder plots, Hermione for mayor, blood rituals, son turning against father, even the "Fred" buttons being delivered. A good episode.

Show's insane and makes that work.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I think Hal, Alice, and the Audience know Chick isn't Hal's kid but Betty doesn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Exactly, Betty and Jughead have always been too focused on whatever their mission at hand was to give any thought to the Alice / FP feud being more than just Alice saltiness for being a former serpent. Given the lengths Hal was willing to go to try and protect Polly in his own weird way is just an extra bit of evidence that Chick isn't his kid.

That said, I give the show a lot of credit for being able to overlap all of the circles to move the plots a long. We were due for a Chick reveal anyway but masking it with a Blossom twin brother reveal makes it feel a lot more natural.

• Locked thread