Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Digirat posted:

This is what happens when three people run ahead instead of one

It's less extreme to ignore one of your teammates than to ignore all three but it's the same root problem: dumbshits choosing to run ahead instead of help when their teammate is fighting something. Because somehow people just cannot figure out that enemies run faster than you. If they're alerted, they have to be killed. Help kill.

e: I guess this also happens when people run by items and one person wants to get them, but I rarely sympathize with the people running ahead unless everyone's item slots are full

This is a trap. If you were a rad dude like me you'd be at the front of the pack. I never seem to get hit in the back, so I'm not sure what you're bitching about. Plus, can't get highest kills from the rear.

EDIT: this is a joke post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Now I'm wondering how viable it is to get any group of knight/handmaiden/slayer/battle wizard/zealot together with as much cooldown reduction as possible, and just loving blitz through the level with your abilities as fast as you can

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Out of question I'm going to assume bosses will still be able to kill and attack you even if you somehow get to the ending warpstone, otherwise I have no idea why some pubbies on the screaming bell just ditch the minute the boss bursts out of the gate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SirDrone posted:

Out of question I'm going to assume bosses will still be able to kill and attack you even if you somehow get to the ending warpstone, otherwise I have no idea why some pubbies on the screaming bell just ditch the minute the boss bursts out of the gate.

no, if you can get to the warpstone bosses - and everything else - can no longer perceive you and will disengage. we found this out for certain yesterday while streaming, my chat spawned spaghetti-o on us right as we were leaving convocation of decay and he didn't get to do anything because we slipped into bridge of shadows.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So for like those giant armored guys, are they actually immune to all range damage? Playing as Sienna with like a Fireball staff, it appears M1 attacks are blocked, but charged M2 fireballs still seem to do damage? Is that correct or are they immune to everything other than charged melee attacks/career skills?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Xaris posted:

So for like those giant armored guys, are they actually immune to all range damage? Playing as Sienna with like a Fireball staff, it appears M1 attacks are blocked, but charged M2 fireballs still seem to do damage? Is that correct or are they immune to everything other than charged melee attacks/career skills?

No, they take damage from quite a bit, though Sienna's staves don't do that much against them. A beam staff detonation or a bolt staff's charge will harm them, though most people just use her pyromancer class's active skill, which will delete them immediately.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I'm kind of blown away by how good hand maiden is once it matures. I suppose that's just how gameplay demands shift in higher difficulty. For one, waystalker can't slam out arrows by the dozen with teammates always in the way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I'm kind of blown away by how good hand maiden is once it matures. I suppose that's just how gameplay demands shift in higher difficulty. For one, waystalker can't slam out arrows by the dozen with teammates always in the way.

They can if your team isn't a bunch of doofuses and understands that it's substantially better to let the elf machine gun the horde to death resource-free(because they completely broke her with the patch and she has infinite ammo again) than to try to wiggle in there to get kills.

With the return of Waywatcher's ammo regen talent and the fact that her 25 talent is still giving 50% ammo instead of 20% coupled with the unbelievable raw power of all of her ranged weapons she's miles beyond both other elves right now.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

When people said that no one could possibly need both talents at the same time I took that as a challenge tonight and machine gunned every piece of trash on the map.

edit: slayer on my team literally complained that I was being "greedy". Oh yes, I was hogging all the sweet experience that doesn't exist for getting the most kills.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 16, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kanos posted:

They can if your team isn't a bunch of doofuses and understands that it's substantially better to let the elf machine gun the horde to death resource-free(because they completely broke her with the patch and she has infinite ammo again) than to try to wiggle in there to get kills.

With the return of Waywatcher's ammo regen talent and the fact that her 25 talent is still giving 50% ammo instead of 20% coupled with the unbelievable raw power of all of her ranged weapons she's miles beyond both other elves right now.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

When people said that no one could possibly need both talents at the same time I took that as a challenge tonight and machine gunned every piece of trash on the map.

edit: slayer on my team literally complained that I was being "greedy". Oh yes, I was hogging all the sweet experience that doesn't exist for getting the most kills.

lol god forbid the other 3 people of this video game want to play it rather than just sit there keeping score for the loving elf

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Coolguye posted:

lol god forbid the other 3 people of this video game want to play it rather than just sit there keeping score for the loving elf

I mean, I think it's loving idiotic too and I want them to powerslam it into the ground really hard because the game is a lot less fun when people can just mindlessly spray into every horde without worry, but if you're going for map completion letting the elf and Sienna abuse their ridiculous infinite ammo ranged garbage is objectively the safest way to do it right now.

The AI Director is random enough and pub groups are so variable in player skill level that I'm generally willing to make room for Elite Legolas Sniper and Flamethrower Grandma to pad their numbers absurdly if it means I actually get a box at the end.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 16, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Less shitposty, I think it would be an interesting study to get data on how people feel about that ethos. It’s true, the objectively easiest way to handle maps without a boss right now is to just let beam staff and longbow do 99% or the killing while a shield bearer and a wild card run interference. But I think a nontrivial number of people - at least a significant minority, but I dunno, maybe even a majority - do not want to trivialize the game in this way.

I know that while I get endorphin hits from the Skinner box the same way everyone else does, I would ultimately find other things to play very quickly if each map weren’t a cool experience somehow. Cutting through a horde and having my screen get so splattered I lose peripheral vision is awesome and I don’t think I’d give it up for guaranteed box.

I’d rather take my chances and tell glorious stories, in the end. I’d rather struggle and scratch to murder a boss so I can talk about it later.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ehhh, I always find we get totally hosed if we have 2 people heavily range spamming. It doesn't help when the group is in trouble and is only good for getting kills against easy hordes anyone could handle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

In a pub it's usually not worth arguing with people trying to do things the most efficient way. Telling the elf to stop machine gunning her swiftbow into a crowd so you can play the game is likely going to get you a response ranging from "she ignores you" to "she begins FFing you intentionally", and breaking formation to run forward to fight an incoming horde that Sienna is infinite beaming is going to see you take a lot of damage and probably get isolated from your teammates who aren't going to follow you. It's the same sort of player logic that led to stuff like every single god damned pub group in early VT1 trying to use terrain glitches to beat the finales of maps despite it being boring as hell.

In a premade, yeah, I definitely feel you.

So, that's generally my approach. When I'm playing with randoms I automatically default to assuming everyone is going to do things in the laziest, most exploitative way possible and adjust my expectations accordingly. When I'm playing with people I know then the goofy poo poo comes out like everybody running the charge classes or maybe I'll play brace of pistols instead of repeater or maybe it's time for doomdwarf.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
When I play Ironbreaker with pubbies, I just use the flamethrower and turn hordes to ash cuz it means I don't have to worry about them watching my back

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

Ehhh, I always find we get totally hosed if we have 2 people heavily range spamming. It doesn't help when the group is in trouble and is only good for getting kills against easy hordes anyone could handle.

I mean this in all sincerity, if this is happening with an elf around it means the elf is not elfing hard enough

The ammo regeneration is batshit insane right now and combined with the longbow’s supreme power and penetration the only thing that should be getting to the party are scraps of trash and rot helms. The beam staff is about 80% as good as that but it requires the player to be comfortable using temp health to take venting damage, which many players are not.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I mean this in all sincerity, if this is happening with an elf around it means the elf is not elfing hard enough

The ammo regeneration is batshit insane right now and combined with the longbow’s supreme power and penetration the only thing that should be getting to the party are scraps of trash and rot helms. The beam staff is about 80% as good as that but it requires the player to be comfortable using temp health to take venting damage, which many players are not.

I did a Champion deed last night and halfway through, the Waywatcher was complaining about being out of ammo. I was absolutely baffled because as Huntsman Kruber, I was still sitting at half ammo on the longbow

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Here's a fun bug, on the mission to cleanse the Nurgle infestation if you destroy one of the objectives with a ranged weapon before the game tells you to the mission becomes unwinnable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm mad at Drakefire Pistol Ironbreakers and I MSPainted a detailed summary of my experiences in Champion with any group containing one (it's all of them).

Vargs fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 16, 2018

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I couldn't give less of a poo poo. There are enough rats on the map for everyone.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just found out you can throw grims away....

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

hemale in pain posted:

I just found out you can throw grims away....

I take it you found out the hard way?

Sort of relevant:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

chesnok posted:

I couldn't give less of a poo poo. There are enough rats on the map for everyone.

Sometimes there really aren't right now. I liked the idea of ranged heavier classes some, but man has the implementation turned that view around since if you're not them, a lot of rounds turn into "Everything you're approaching dies before you swing" and you just kind of sit there while the 2 people on Sienna and dendrophile have fun.

Vargs posted:

I'm mad at Drakefire Pistol Ironbreakers and I MSPainted a detailed summary of my experiences in Champion with any group containing one (it's all of them).

:discourse:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 16, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If two classes are killing everything it may be time for you to up the difficulty.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Sometimes there really aren't right now. I liked the idea of ranged heavier classes some, but man has the implementation turned that view around since if you're not them, a lot of rounds turn into "Everything you're approaching dies before you swing" and you just kind of sit there while the 2 people on Sienna and dendrophile have fun.

Then a shieldvermin/chaos patrol comes marching around the corner and it's your time to shine.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Had a go with everyone’s favourite witch hunter. Joined straight into veteran levels. The rapier is a lot of fun, and I like that it requires accuracy unlike say, slayer, where I happily run around spamming the attack button like an angry dwarves macerator. I tried the 2 handed greatsword but since I was only about 160 power level I was struggling to cleave through hordes of enemies, which I’m guessing is the intended function. And brace of pistols spam fire is so much fun.

The second level was loving Halescourge and we somehow did it. Guy at the end added us all and said how rare it was to find competent people. :3:

As for ranged class spam, I’ve had one level as Slayer where it really stuck out. A level 30 elf and Sienna basically killed every single thing including bosses on veteran whilst me and a new guy who was level 9 did gently caress all. It was very boring. I have no idea why they weren’t playing champion. Possibly because you have to show some restraint with the spam then.

chesnok posted:

Then a shieldvermin/chaos patrol comes marching around the corner and it's your time to shine.

You’d think! But they just murdered them in seconds as well.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I have no idea why they weren’t playing champion. Possibly because you have to show some restraint with the spam then.

Champion just gives them 3 extra targets to shoot at.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

If you get double digit (or more) ranged kills as the elf you're objectively playing the elf wrong

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If you get double digit (or more) ranged kills as the elf you're objectively playing the elf wrong

Even as the Handmaiden I’ll still Longbow Stormvermin. If you’re not getting at least double digit ranged kills you’re either playing slayer or a terrible shot.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

also hordes arent dangerous and the concept that you are so terrified of the free temp health bags lumbering slowly towards you that you need to let the elf play the video game for you is hilarious

Skypie posted:

When I play Ironbreaker with pubbies, I just use the flamethrower and turn hordes to ash cuz it means I don't have to worry about them watching my back

its funny cause the exact opposite is true, the only way you can poop out endless fire is if your team lets you

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Fans posted:

Even as the Handmaiden I’ll still Longbow Stormvermin. If you’re not getting at least double digit ranged kills you’re either playing slayer or a terrible shot.

Don't make me link you my DasAnfall profile. You should just poke the stormvermin in the head with your spear.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Coolguye posted:

The beam staff is about 80% as good as that but it requires the player to be comfortable using temp health to take venting damage, which many players are not.
Heat isn't really an issue post 25 if you play pyro and take the heat dump talent.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

also hordes arent dangerous and the concept that you are so terrified of the free temp health bags lumbering slowly towards you that you need to let the elf play the video game for you is hilarious

its funny cause the exact opposite is true, the only way you can poop out endless fire is if your team lets you

I didn't say I was actually killing stuff and in most cases I'm probably just cremating rat corpses but it's still fun as heck!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

As for ranged class spam, I’ve had one level as Slayer where it really stuck out. A level 30 elf and Sienna basically killed every single thing including bosses on veteran whilst me and a new guy who was level 9 did gently caress all. It was very boring. I have no idea why they weren’t playing champion. Possibly because you have to show some restraint with the spam then.

I'm noticing the hero power system is going to make recruit and veteran a bit of a unfun shitshow down the line, even if some level 30 guy self-nerfs himself by unequiping his good gear he is still going to cleave through everything and kill the entire screen of trash every swipe and leave his party behind.

This also makes it a bit annoying to play with friends you get to play the game, there is no way to bring yourself down to a equal power level or have any rando's in quickplay play on the same level so your going to end up with them playing walking simulator and getting bored of the game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BORN TO SPAM RANGED
KRUBER IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2523
I am elf main
410,757,864,530 DEAD RATS

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ranged uber alles my fun is more important than yours :sun:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm noticing the hero power system is going to make recruit and veteran a bit of a unfun shitshow down the line, even if some level 30 guy self-nerfs himself by unequiping his good gear he is still going to cleave through everything and kill the entire screen of trash every swipe and leave his party behind.

This also makes it a bit annoying to play with friends you get to play the game, there is no way to bring yourself down to a equal power level or have any rando's in quickplay play on the same level so your going to end up with them playing walking simulator and getting bored of the game.

Just read this thread and listen to the advice posted herein

Use the drake fire pistols and the 1 handed axe, goon favorites

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hero Power level auto caps in recruit and veteran IIRC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Hero Power level auto caps in recruit and veteran IIRC.

it caps pretty high though. i think it's 200 for recruit, 400 for veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The caps fairly meaningless if you’re already one hitting pretty much everything at cap. It should really be capped to the max loot level for that tier.