Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah okay, so similar to Dota where someone only casually into that area of gaming might not have heard about it until it became a standalone thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pretty much yes, except Dota as a WC3 mod was much more popular than BR as a ARMA mod.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

exquisite tea posted:

I think if PUBG wasn't so enormously low-effort itself then it could have held more of its market share against Fortnite.

It looks like it was made by some guy who made mods for a while then ends up using assets he found on a Russian website to make his own.

Oh wait, it pretty much was. In fact at some point there was a scandal because the game used assets that for whatever reason featured more prominent vaginas or whatever.

This game has made roughly half a million dollars.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I think if PUBG wasn't so enormously low-effort itself then it could have held more of its market share against Fortnite.

yeah i'm surprised nobody's made the same game but not buggy as hell because i'd jump ship immediately.

Harrow posted:

Ah okay, so similar to Dota where someone only casually into that area of gaming might not have heard about it until it became a standalone thing?

sort of but at one point dota was the most played game in the world (though mostly china). wc3 was pirated like crazy for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Double Bill posted:

Pretty much yes, except Dota as a WC3 mod was much more popular than BR as a ARMA mod.

That makes sense, if only because I'm pretty sure WC3 was itself way way more popular than ARMA.

Groovelord Neato posted:

sort of but at one point dota was the most played game in the world (though mostly china). wc3 was pirated like crazy for it.

Also that. To be fair, I heard about Dota back in high school back when people would sometimes still call it "Defense of the Ancients" but clearly I never heard of PUBG before it went big time, and I didn't really care about either of their base games.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I have to imagine we're mere months away from seeing the powerhouse publishers entering the BR fray.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Noctone posted:

I have to imagine we're mere months away from seeing the powerhouse publishers entering the BR fray.

probably instead of a zombies mode in the next cod blops?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harrow posted:

Also that. To be fair, I heard about Dota back in high school back when people would sometimes still call it "Defense of the Ancients" but clearly I never heard of PUBG before it went big time, and I didn't really care about either of their base games.

i had heard of battle royale because the guys who made everquest ripped it off with h1z1 king of the kill which was pretty popular until playerunknown released his own game and ate their lunch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Noctone posted:

I hope someone competent makes one. The concept is interesting and cool but the execution has been absolutely deplorable. Fortnite is weird and is an afterthought with building mechanics for some reason, PUBG is 90% jank spread out over a 100 sq. km map.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

jokes posted:

I hope someone competent makes one. The concept is interesting and cool but the execution has been absolutely deplorable. Fortnite is weird and is an afterthought with building mechanics for some reason, PUBG is 90% jank spread out over a 100 sq. km map.

I'd like to see Square do it with the Just Cause framework, can you imagine 100 people with grapples and wing suits...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know that the guy who took over after Kojima is kicking himself for not making Metal Gear Survive a battle royale game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know that the guy who took over after Kojima is kicking himself for not making Metal Gear Survive a battle royale game.

Konami aint paying for servers

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

On release day, he found the "no one cares about zombies anymore"-memo buried on his desk and promptly poo poo his pants.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

The building aspect is what makes Fortnite unique. It's pretty fun if you're competent at it.

Noctone posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

it's funny watching PUBG fall prey to the exact same thing that happened to DOTA2 but in like much less time

also, speaking of DOTA2, they've introduced a subscription service. i guess to try and squeeze all that's left out of their dwindling playerbase.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The game that has never left the top 3 game populations on steam, with the consistently biggest prize pools of any competitive vidya game, with a "dwindling playerbase" :thunk:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's interesting that having a good game with good pacing/gameplay/story is kind of an afterthought compared to how it is monetized nowadays (I've been playing ESO recently, a good game with a weird monetization scheme). It makes me wonder what the gently caress game developers were doing in years past before loot boxes became a thing. It seems like a lot of loot box games are just plain great but then are ruined by monetization schemes. Like SWBF2, a lot of gacha games, ESO, etc.

It's like those people that put fake pictures/trailer of a game on the App Store and the pictures/trailer look like a legitimately interesting and fun game. And the actual game is nothing like it. It's like dude you know what the good game looks like what are you doing !

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

The game that has never left the top 3 game populations on steam, with the consistently biggest prize pools of any competitive vidya game, with a "dwindling playerbase" :thunk:

http://steamcharts.com/app/570#1y

I guess you could call that dwindling, just not very dramatic. Meanwhile CSGO is holding steady, the BR surge hasn't made much of a dent there: http://steamcharts.com/app/730#1y

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This seems relevant to this thread.

Battlefront 2 is bringing back its microtransactions with a revamped progression system. It seems... kind of okay?

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/progression-update

Basics:
  • You now earn Star Cards and anything else that affects gameplay by leveling up units. They no longer come from loot boxes. Every time you level up a unit, you get a skill point that you can use to either unlock a Star Card or upgrade one that you already have.
  • Loot boxes now only include credits (in-game currency) and cosmetics like emotes and victory poses. But on top of that, they are no longer something you buy with real money. You only ever get loot boxes through daily log-in bonuses, completing milestones, and timed challenges.
  • Next month, microtransactions come in and they're all costumes/appearances. You can buy them with in-game credits or the microtransaction currency (crystals).
In other words: if they'd just done this exact system from the start, there would've been no blow-up at all, no huge backlash, no massive controversy, and they'd probably have been able to print money selling costumes to players who didn't want to grind out credits for them. Instead, they went full cash-grab and it exploded in their faces and they'll probably never win back even half of the goodwill they lost no matter how reasonable they make their new progression system.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Might come down to how grindy this progression system is, I think things taking too long to unlock the normal way was one of the original complains back then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Definitely. They're saying that leveling up is now "linear," which I'm taking to mean "each level takes the same amount of XP to earn and doesn't ramp up," but I have no idea if that's actually what they mean.

If nothing else, removing any and all randomness from gameplay-affecting items, treating loot boxes as a bonus thing that you get at a regular basis instead of something you buy, and letting players just outright buy costumes instead of having to gamble for them is a massive step up from the original plans.

Hell, if Overwatch's loot boxes were only earned from leveling up and you could just buy costumes outright instead of gambling for them, I'd have no problems with that system at all and probably would've spent money on it beyond the initial purchase.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 16, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are microtransactions for costumes and junk cool ? I personally hate the concept bc they charge like $20 for an outfit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jokes posted:

Are microtransactions for costumes and junk cool ? I personally hate the concept bc they charge like $20 for an outfit.

As long as you know what you are getting when you pay the money, whatever. Idk if id say cool but i dont care so long as nobody is being manipulated by gambler psychology to pay for stuff they dont want

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's basically my take.

It also depends on how much it costs to buy them, and (given that they're also planning to sell them for in-game currency) how long it takes to get them by just playing the game. If it's the sort of thing where you can drop like $10 on a costume, but also someone who plays regularly can probably afford like a costume or two a month with credits, y'know, I don't really have a problem with that.

It helps that they're doing loot boxes the only way I think they're okay: you can never buy them. You get them as login bonuses or doing certain tasks in-game. So if you actually do want to buy something, you just buy it. Loot boxes represent little bonus random rolls where, hey, you might get something cool, and if you don't, oh well, just try again tomorrow.

Naturally, it's always possible that the amount of credits it takes to buy a costume is ludicrous and the costumes cost like $25 per or something, but I'd guess that, since this seems very consciously designed to ruffle as few feathers as possible, that won't be the case here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if you're gonna be able to buy exactly what you want with no randomness, i guess that's tolerable but still far from ideal

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My own inexpert guess is that this move isn't really intended to salvage Battlefront 2 itself. It's not a move intended to make a lot of profit off this game.

It's intended to salvage the reputation of Battlefront as much as possible. My guess is that EA would very much like to be allowed to publish a Battlefront 3 to coincide with Episode IX's release in a couple years, and therefore has a lot of potential sales riding on the Battlefront name not being poison. What they do with Battlefront 2's monetization is sort of immaterial. I'm much more curious to see what they do with Battlefront 3's.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Serf posted:

if you're gonna be able to buy exactly what you want with no randomness, i guess that's tolerable but still far from ideal

Right. I'm pretty much ok with the lovely skins market as long as they aren't behind gambles. It's not ideal but I've accepted it.

Once a company goes to lootboxes - and especially time-limited lootboxes - they're trash.

Harrow posted:

My own inexpert guess is that this move isn't really intended to salvage Battlefront 2 itself. It's not a move intended to make a lot of profit off this game.

They still sold 9 million copies of BF2, a full priced game. They already made money off it. Assuming they saw 30% of that (and they saw a lot more if it sold mostly digital) it's 60 million revenue before they moved a single lootbox. They're going to sell another 3 million units (at a reduced price) and walk away with a decent haul even without microtransactions.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 16, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They still sold 9 million copies of BF2, a full priced game. They already made money off it. Assuming they saw 30% of that (and they saw a lot more if it sold mostly digital) it's 60 million revenue before they moved a single lootbox. They're going to sell another 3 million units and walk away with a decent haul even without microtransactions.

I meant "additional profits," not just profit, but that was pretty unclear in my post.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I don't really think it matters to Battlefront 2 itself what they do with its microtransactions. They already made money. Hell, they could just add in super exploitative loot boxes and make a lot more money off the few diehards who stick around, but in the process tank the reputation of the Battlefront brand. At the same time, they could've just not added microtransactions back in at all, maybe revamped progression without any microtransactions and put the game on sale or something, but that'd make it stand out like a sore thumb when they come back for Battlefront 3.

The way they did this is basically perfect to make some more money off of Battlefront 2 (not as much as they might be able to otherwise, but still plenty) while also being a step towards making people receptive to Battlefront 3 eventually.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not it is still poo poo. I will gladly pay for season pass content but not individually for each costume.
That is greedy as gently caress and trying to trick you into thinking it is a better bang for you buck.

I bet a one time pay normal season pass for additional maps with added costumes like in BF1 would have been cheaper if you want all costumes. Now it will be something atupid like 5+ bucks per costume with dozens of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not in a rush to praise EA for just going back to the current standard mode of operations. Maybe people will hopefully stop giving blizzard a pass on overwatch now, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

chumbler posted:

I'm not in a rush to praise EA for just going back to the current standard mode of operations. Maybe people will hopefully stop giving blizzard a pass on overwatch now, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Nobody will ever criticize Blizzard for anything. They and Valve are Gamer Darlings Beyond Reproach.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody will ever criticize Blizzard for anything. They and Valve are Gamer Darlings Beyond Reproach.

Valve gets a ton of poo poo for being terrible though

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Valve is literally the most anti consumer company gaming company, it's not even funny. We all like to rag on EA and Activision, and for good reason, but Valve's bullshit puts them to shame.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Valve just has DOTA2 now right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Valve has definitely lost most of their accumulated goodwill. The big announcement for their next game got booed at their own event lol.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Valve just has DOTA2 now right?

and CS Go

along with, you know, steam

MMF Freeway posted:

Valve has definitely lost most of their accumulated goodwill. The big announcement for their next game got booed at their own event lol.

I don't know how they expected a bunch of dota 2 players to be excited for a card game.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 16, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

This seems relevant to this thread.

Battlefront 2 is bringing back its microtransactions with a revamped progression system. It seems... kind of okay?

I dunno, with a game like Battlefront where all of the DLC is planned and already in the pipe being worked on and waiting on release, microtransactions still feel skeezy. Like, I understand if a small developer uses microtransactions because it hopefully funds more development for the game or if development is continued over years like MOBAs and whatnot. But full games? Nope.

Microtransactions are still just a way to nickle and dime someone without benefiting the consumer, we didn't have this poo poo before in games so why do we need it now?

MMF Freeway posted:

Is there a link to this because lol.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a link to this because lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

The crowd reaction is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

I don't know how they expected a bunch of dota 2 player to be excited for a card game.

Tbf it is a dota themed card game.

• Locked thread