Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Scene // PDX War room

*sirens flash

Jake: 6/6/6 heir detected!

*moves finger over slider labelled "hunting excursions"

Johan: Do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Poland's elective monarchy is trash. That is all

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The few times I've played Poland I've never bothered supporting any of my own guys and just treated it like a sort of republic in that I can never have a regency and will always have high legitimacy.
You can get rid of it around 1600 anyway, so its not really a big deal.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Though still not nearly as trash as it was in real life.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

As Wallachia I appreciated being able to Support Heir and give the Poles a Dracula King for opinion boost. But I had a diplomat to waste.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

I can say from really good authority, there isn't :colbert:

Why aren't you joining the Kaiser side in the dev MP

Also, how do I stop my vassals from being Native councils? will converting their lands to Nahuatl, then releasing, be enough?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2018

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Several streamer have gotten preview copies of Rule Brittania and are now streaming it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They somehow lost enough warscore and gave up Taiwan to France.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the Mann achievement ended up being own all the islands as mann

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

the Mann achievement ended up being own all the islands as mann
That's dumb as heck, because everyone knows no Mann is an island

no wait it was nobody is an island, poo poo, my Scottish Britpop references are useless!

Also in my Nahuatl game, it turns out that Spain ate Portugal, while France is eating England.

There's every chance I might have to reform off of Norway at this rate...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If they don't release a DLC containing nothing but 100+ Mann achievements, there's clearly no one at Paradox with any business sense.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
If anyone can offer me some guidance regarding the HRE, I'll take it. What I really want is just some general guidelines of what to focus on. The HRE guides I've seen online are usually very strict, do this by this date, if this person rivals you restart, that kind of thing. I don't need a specific strategy to reform the HRE - just an indication of what to look for. For example, the shadow kingdom event. It fires, I look at the HRE map. Northern Italy is in the HRE. Does that mean I need to conquer/vassalize them before 1500? Make them just like me more? I have a "return unlawful territory" button on my screen. It says Milan owns some imperial territory. Well, sure. They're in the empire. Why should I tell them to return it? How do I invite countries to join the HRE? I have 7 electors and I can't make anyone else one. Do I attack countries just to break them up and try to get free cities? I'm at a loss!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lucas Archer posted:

If anyone can offer me some guidance regarding the HRE, I'll take it. What I really want is just some general guidelines of what to focus on. The HRE guides I've seen online are usually very strict, do this by this date, if this person rivals you restart, that kind of thing. I don't need a specific strategy to reform the HRE - just an indication of what to look for. For example, the shadow kingdom event. It fires, I look at the HRE map. Northern Italy is in the HRE. Does that mean I need to conquer/vassalize them before 1500? Make them just like me more? I have a "return unlawful territory" button on my screen. It says Milan owns some imperial territory. Well, sure. They're in the empire. Why should I tell them to return it? How do I invite countries to join the HRE? I have 7 electors and I can't make anyone else one. Do I attack countries just to break them up and try to get free cities? I'm at a loss!

Basically the key to being emperor is to keep many nations in the empire, don’t let powers outside the empire conquer into it, make sure everyone in the empire likes you, and suppress heresy very harshly. If you do these things you’ll keep being emperor and keep gaining imperial authority and hopefully be able to pass reforms and generally thrive.

You need to conquer all of Venice except the island of Venice itself, and all of the Papal State, and add all the provinces to the empire, before 1490. This is a bit trickier than it might immediately sound, which is why people tend to come up with really precise strategies for it. The other north Italian states already have all their territory in the empire so you don’t need to worry about them.

In theory, nations that like you a whole lot, border the empire, and are small enough will sometimes add themselves to the empire. In practice this is going to happen maybe once or twice a game and if you want more provinces in the empire you are going to be conquering them and putting them there yourself.

Returning unlawful territory is a diplomatic option that happens when someone takes land from an HRE member. It doesn’t matter whether the one taking land is a member or not, you still get the alert. If they annexed another HRE nation to get that land, you really want them to return it, because you get more imperial authority the more nations are in the HRE. Even if they just took a province from another nation, you might as well get them to give it back if you can and you don’t need them to be very happy with you in the immediate future.

There can only be 7 electors. There are usually a couple of one province HRE nations that will sometimes be willing to become free cities if you need more. I wouldn’t attack anyone just to create a new free city though. If you’re just attacking people in the empire you should consider seizing one of their provinces so you have more borders with other imperial nations — this will make it easier to get casus belli so you can declare war on them later to demand they stop being heretics, and doing that aggressively is pretty important. Try not to do that too often though, it pisses folks off.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

skasion posted:

Basically the key to being emperor is to keep many nations in the empire, don’t let powers outside the empire conquer into it, make sure everyone in the empire likes you, and suppress heresy very harshly. If you do these things you’ll keep being emperor and keep gaining imperial authority and hopefully be able to pass reforms and generally thrive.

You need to conquer all of Venice except the island of Venice itself, and all of the Papal State, and add all the provinces to the empire, before 1490. This is a bit trickier than it might immediately sound, which is why people tend to come up with really precise strategies for it. The other north Italian states already have all their territory in the empire so you don’t need to worry about them.

In theory, nations that like you a whole lot, border the empire, and are small enough will sometimes add themselves to the empire. In practice this is going to happen maybe once or twice a game and if you want more provinces in the empire you are going to be conquering them and putting them there yourself.

Returning unlawful territory is a diplomatic option that happens when someone takes land from an HRE member. It doesn’t matter whether the one taking land is a member or not, you still get the alert. If they annexed another HRE nation to get that land, you really want them to return it, because you get more imperial authority the more nations are in the HRE. Even if they just took a province from another nation, you might as well get them to give it back if you can and you don’t need them to be very happy with you in the immediate future.

There can only be 7 electors. There are usually a couple of one province HRE nations that will sometimes be willing to become free cities if you need more. I wouldn’t attack anyone just to create a new free city though. If you’re just attacking people in the empire you should consider seizing one of their provinces so you have more borders with other imperial nations — this will make it easier to get casus belli so you can declare war on them later to demand they stop being heretics, and doing that aggressively is pretty important. Try not to do that too often though, it pisses folks off.

That is exactly the kind of advice I’ve been looking for. Thank you!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Related HRE question. The reformation is happening, I got rid of one center of reformation by conquering then forcing them to change religion.

The problem is the Reformed Center is in Ragusa, which is protected by the Ottomans so can't touch that. The 2 remaining Protestant Centers are in Bohemia, whom I've got a personal union with. Their faith is Catholic, but I can't seem to do anything about those drat centers?

Also France and buff-as-gently caress Burgundy joined the Protestant league! They're Catholics!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just like the real 30 Years War, I imagine that's more about proxy wars and checking your rivals than religion.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also France and buff-as-gently caress Burgundy joined the Protestant league! They're Catholics!

That basically happened IRL, too, as their main enemies were the Catholic Habsburgs. Same reason the Ottomans got involved on the Protestant side.

(Can we put this in the OP?)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I had no idea the East Coast had all the good development. Makes me feel sorta dumb for going for the West.

How the hell are you supposed to defend America anyway? The whole thing is super huge and micro-ing armies is somehow even worse than in CK2, where armies seemingly slide along randomly and you can't just order your armies to follow an enemy one.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, I had no idea the East Coast had all the good development. Makes me feel sorta dumb for going for the West.

How the hell are you supposed to defend America anyway? The whole thing is super huge and micro-ing armies is somehow even worse than in CK2, where armies seemingly slide along randomly and you can't just order your armies to follow an enemy one.

have you made forts?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

have you made forts?
Yeah, but they add up super quick; that just stops them from getting my capital/Centro American holdings, leaving the rest of the continent up for grabs

I guess I should be using them more proactively against my enemies, but money is weirdly tight considering that I control most of N-America centered on the middle

Also goddammit Trade War supplanting Flower War! Fuuuuccckkkk

Also why doesn't the "Don't declare a war doofus, you have a truce with these fuckers" just tell you when it runs out there, like in CK2?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's 1536 and no Europeans have shown up in America yet. Shouldn't they be here by now? I want to reform Iroquois, dammit.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Also why doesn't the "Don't declare a war doofus, you have a truce with these fuckers" just tell you when it runs out there, like in CK2?

I think there's a message setting you can change to do that. It pops up for me at least.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I think there's a message setting you can change to do that. It pops up for me at least.
Ah, I mean on the war dec itself, rather than up there. I guess it is there, with the truce timers

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's 1536 and no Europeans have shown up in America yet. Shouldn't they be here by now? I want to reform Iroquois, dammit.
1547 and England has just landed

in the Caribbean. And after cheating a bit and checking the world while on the loading screen, it looks like Denmark absorbed Norway before they could get exploration and Spain loving over Portugal and absorbing Morocco means that it's unlikely anyone else will join. France is in Sierra Leone. There is a genuine chance that if I handle poo poo right, I might be able to beat them to the Spice Islands

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah, I mean on the war dec itself, rather than up there. I guess it is there, with the truce timers

Pretty sure when you attempt to declare way there's a red like -5 stab breaking truce.

edit: oh nm. yeah it should also show when the truce is over but doesn't

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure when you attempt to declare way there's a red like -5 stab breaking truce.

edit: oh nm. yeah it should also show when the truce is over but doesn't
Tbh I don't terribly care; I reeeaallly shoulda started invading the Centro-Americans earlier and going east and not west

I just wanted to go back to Lakewood :(

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MrBling posted:

The few times I've played Poland I've never bothered supporting any of my own guys and just treated it like a sort of republic in that I can never have a regency and will always have high legitimacy.
You can get rid of it around 1600 anyway, so its not really a big deal.

Yeah, I've always felt it as a way to get a relations bonus with another power by sharing dynasties, until you eventually ride out the massive noble revolt and end the party. not to mention the hope of a succesion war netting you a PU.

Though more often than not, I end up with a Serb or minor Italian family. Once the big winner by the end was the royal family of a tiny mediterranean island that got freed on some peace deal and the Ottomans forgot to swallow, making my lineage orthodox and making all the catholics in Poland permantnely pissed off.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I attacked Burgundy as Austria, call in an ally or two. Then the Ottomans join in with triple what my side has. Also Poland joined the Protestant League because supposedly I want their territory, but I don't?

At least I was going to problem quit the game anyway and start over as England with the new patch. If the relgious war happens now I'm dead.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

WAD

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The first couple times the Ottomans joined the Protestant league were p wtf, I'm not gonna lie.

e: is there a fun reason to go Protestant? I've kinda slipped into being a bit ocd about reconverting my provinces and it doesn't seem too hard to do so I just always end up 100% catholic by the end of the game. Should I Switch Things around a bit?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 18, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

e: is there a fun reason to go Protestant?

cleansing the catholic heresy. sticking a finger in the eye of the emperor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

aphid_licker posted:

The first couple times the Ottomans joined the Protestant league were p wtf, I'm not gonna lie.

e: is there a fun reason to go Protestant? I've kinda slipped into being a bit ocd about reconverting my provinces and it doesn't seem too hard to do so I just always end up 100% catholic by the end of the game. Should I Switch Things around a bit?

Protestants have some neat selectable bonuses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ormi posted:

That basically happened IRL, too, as their main enemies were the Catholic Habsburgs. Same reason the Ottomans got involved on the Protestant side.

(Can we put this in the OP?)

Yep, the 30YW was more about Imperialists (supporters of the Catholic Hapsburg Emperor) vs. anti-Imperialists who were opposed to the Hapsburg Emperor for various reasons. It was mostly about politics and only superficially about religion.

The Hapsburgs (which included the superpower Spanish Empire at the time) wanted more centralized control of the HRE, to maintain control of the Spanish Netherlands, and to control a land route from the Netherlands south to their holdings in Italy. They also were pro-Catholic. HRE states that aligned with the Hapsburg emperors were hoping for political favor or protection from neighbors and weren't even always Catholic. Saxony is a good example, they were Protestant but fought for the Imperialists (mostly lol, they switched sides, 30YW is complicated).

The anti-Imperialists opposed Hapsburg centralization of power within the HRE or were just opposed to the Hapsburgs in general. Many HRE princes found it advantageous to convert to Protestantism because that let them seize property belonging to the Catholic Church for a quick buck. Obviously they weren't keen on the emperor taking authority from them and giving the land back to the Church. Then you've got rival powers like France or the Ottomans who just wanted to cut the Hapsburgs down a notch.

EU4 actually does a pretty decent job of simulating the 30YW.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pellisworth posted:

EU4 actually does a pretty decent job of simulating the 30YW.

Except for HAB just getting curbstomped because the AI isn't capable of building a strong empire. :v:

Although sometimes the Protestants just forget to start the war and the AI wins by default, that's cool too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In my experience whatever side gets Muscovy as an ally wins. The other side will gladly send it's entire army to occupy Siberia while every German minor gets peaced out one by one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ducats in peace deals are limited to 25% of warscore..... :negative:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

:stare:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's very not fun fighting late game wars against Europe as an African nation. Not even because the game gives Europeans so many bonuses, but because you can kill 30,000 European soldiers on some island halfway across the world and sink their entire fleet and they'll still refuse to sign even a white peace.

Also if you control a coastal gold province, every colonizing nation declares war almost every time the truce expires.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

why the gently caress

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

It's very not fun fighting late game wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

oddium posted:

No more taking people's lunch money in addition to giving them a wedgie? The gently caress is the point.