Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Voting AAR too: always attack Roark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

The_White_Crane posted:

I hardly think I need to express my opinion here, but always attack Roark.

Let's do it!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mikl posted:

Roark, gaze into the fist of Lone Wolf.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mikl posted:

Roark, gaze into the fist of Lone Wolf.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

There is already a significant number of people voting to attack Roark. I will gladly join their ranks.
It certainly seems like a better option than trying to fight Tagazin barehanded after already failing to kill him with the Sommerswerd.

The Dungeons of Torgar posted:

Roark watches you rush towards him with hate and fear in his eyes. ‘Help me, master,’ he whimpers, rising unsteadily and drawing a slim-bladed sword from beneath his black robes.

Demonlord Tagazin answers his servant with a thunderous growl but does not hasten his pace to save him from your attack. He seems to be enjoying the fear that Roark displays, and as you strike his growl changes to a hideous snigger.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 37
Roark: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 20
Combat Ratio: 0

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 36
Roark: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 35
Roark: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 31
Roark: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 0

You snatch the amulet from Roark’s lifeless hand and then turn to confront Tagazin. You sense an energy flowing between Roark’s amulet and the amulet that hangs around the Demonlord’s neck, and you use this power-bridge to ward off the creature.

Tagazin shudders as your psychic commands rob him of his supernatural strength. His body becomes pale, almost transparent, and wisps of smoke curl from his skin as though his body were evaporating slowly. He retreats towards the centre of the temple and leaps onto the marble block. There is a chilling howl and suddenly the shadowy chamber is flooded with a blinding light. Thunder booms and the walls shake. Terrified, Roark’s followers flee the temple and scramble up the stairs. Crackling bolts of white lightning leap from the marble block to tear great chunks of rock from the walls, and the air seethes with a cloying stench that threatens to suffocate you. With terror in your heart you bound up the steps and escape as the defeated spirit of the Demonlord vents its spite on the chamber below.

Healing: +1 EP (32/37).

Dust clogs your throat and the roar of falling stone is deafening as you race towards the surface. When you reach the ramp that leads to the crystal doors you find it split wide open. A web of cracks zigzags across the two halves and a growing mound of rubble threaten to seal off the exit. Desperately you claw your way across this jagged debris, passing the bodies of some of Roark’s followers, and diving through the shrinking exit just before the ceiling collapses with a tremendous crash.

Outside the situation is remarkably calm; only a slight ground tremor and a sound like distant thunder hint at the incredible destruction taking place inside the temple. The clearing is deserted and you are beginning to think you are the only one to have escaped, when you hear horses galloping away and glimpse three riders disappearing along a track that heads off to the east. It is nearly dark and they are soon swallowed by the shadows of the forest.

Healing: +1 EP (33/37).
Shall we follow them or let them go and make camp for the night?

I don't know about you, but I find killing Roark with our bare hands pretty satisfying.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We're on a cursed island, we've just escaped death, and we get the chance to venture into the woods at random, at night? Nope, let's make camp.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Do not let the riders escape in case they are Roark's allies going for reinforcements! After them!

It is nice to have killed Roark with our bare hands. Does he also die if you somehow overcome Tagazin (with or without the Sommerswerd)? I know the answer, but will let Tiggum answer as he's better able to judge and abide by the thread's established spoiler policy. I also know there are other paths in this book where you don't meet Roark, but I will talk more about them after Tiggum gives permission or after the book is done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

It is nice to have killed Roark with our bare hands. Does he also die if you somehow overcome Tagazin (with or without the Sommerswerd)?
Choosing to attack Roark is the only way to kill him (and you can't do that if you have the Sommerswerd). He might die trying to escape the collapsing building, but if he does you don't see it happen.

And you can talk about the battle at Cetza at this point because we've definitely passed it (in fact we'd definitely avoided it the moment we chose to look for Sebb Jarel instead) and the same goes for the actual meeting with Sebb Jarel, but basically anything that follows either event might still come up. Both the Cetza and Pirsi paths end up at the same place, with a potential diversion to the Isle of Ghosts. We're currently still in the middle of that optional side-quest and will rejoin the critical path afterwards.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tiggum posted:

Choosing to attack Roark is the only way to kill him (and you can't do that if you have the Sommerswerd). He might die trying to escape the collapsing building, but if he does you don't see it happen.

Wrong, actually! If you take Tagazin's amulet, Roark tries to stop your heart through the link the two amulets have. If you survive a three point hit (ignored if you have Nexus), you turn it back on him and stop his heart. :black101:

Sommerswerd route is actually the one way besides just not going this way that you can get screwed out of killing Roark.

Materant fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 16, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks, Tiggum. It's safe to say now (correct me if I'm wrong) that I like this book because it has three distinct paths in the beginning- and they all are of importance to ongoing Lone Wolf subplots and character arcs- not going into specifics per spoiler policies. Roark's fate on our current path is my personal favorite of the three paths. although I did have to be reminded what a tough encounter it can be if you have and use the Sommerswerd. This is a satisfying end for the Roark plotline IMO.

The other two distinct paths are Meeting Sebb Jarrel and the Battle at Cetza. In the latter, you can meet a certifiable badass character named Captain Prarg. It is also possible to meet King Sarnac of Lencia and fight Baron Shinzar of Hammerland, a Darklord ally who wields a nasty dark magic flaming battleaxe. I believe Graygor mentioned Shinzar during our meeting. We've missed all that now (Shinzar we won't see again in future books, the other named characters we might, again not going into specifics).

We've also missed meeting Sebb Jarrel. It is only possible to get to the Isle of Ghosts and encounter Roark by failing to meet Sebb Jarrel. You can get there from the Cetza path, but it requires some specifics I won't go into. The same is true of getting to the Isle of Ghosts via the Jarrel path as we did. If we had had Divination, or refused to tell Jarrel's partisans about our mission, we would have met Jarrel (the mousy partisan was an imposter, Jarrel is someone different) and taken quite a different path. Of course, if we had met Jarrel, we would never have gotten to meet anyone at Cetza, nor would we have met Tagazin and Roark. Or the Bear who was on at least one cover of the book. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

Wrong, actually! If you take Tagazin's amulet, Roark tries to stop your heart through the link the two amulets have. If you survive a three point hit (ignored if you have Nexus), you turn it back on him and stop his heart. :black101:
Oh yeah, I guess I missed that when I was skimming the text - like I said at the start, I'm not as familiar with this book as some of the earlier ones.

achtungnight posted:

It is only possible to get to the Isle of Ghosts and encounter Roark by failing to meet Sebb Jarrel. You can get there from the Cetza path, but it requires some specifics I won't go into. The same is true of getting to the Isle of Ghosts via the Jarrel path as we did. If we had had Divination, or refused to tell Jarrel's partisans about our mission, we would have met Jarrel (the mousy partisan was an imposter, Jarrel is someone different) and taken quite a different path.
Actually Divination doesn't guarantee that you meet the real Jarel. You detect that the fake is lying, but how you react to that determines whether you get to meet the real one or not. And there are paths other than the one we took that can also get you to either Jarel or Roark. It's actually easier to get to the Isle of Ghosts than to meet the real Sebb Jarel.

Whether or not you get to the Isle of Ghosts after the battle at Cetza is a bit more complicated. Your best chance is to not have Huntmastery or Pathasmanship, but even then you've got a 30% chance of missing it even if you make the right choices. Weirdly, it's easier to get to the Isle of Ghosts the fewer previous Magnakai books you've played through since it relies not just on specific Disciplines but also on your rank. So the less likely you are to know or care who Roark is, the more likely you are to meet him. :shrug:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let’s follow them. Perhaps we can get into more fights with our bare hands.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Let’s follow them. Perhaps we can get into more fights with our bare hands.
Well, we do still have the Sommerswerd. We just chose not to draw it and thereby make ourselves seem like a legitimate threat to Tagazin.

The track consists of ancient paving blocks mostly overgrown with moss, but occasionally you hear the sound of a distant hoofbeat striking upon an exposed slab of stone. You follow the trail and are soon engulfed by darkness. Only the sound of forest owls and the flutter of bats can be heard as you make your way slowly through the inky black forest.

You have been walking less than an hour when you arrive at a stone bridge. The stream it once crossed has long since dried up, and the empty watercourse is blanketed with dead leaves. You are now very tired and in need of food and rest.

Healing: +1 EP (34/37).
Should we stop and rest or keep going?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Stop and rest.

Also:
1) Hell yeah, we beat Roark to death with our bare hands. More like die-born of Amory, amirite?
2) I thought that mousy fellow might be an imposter; it didn't seem like an appropriate descriptor for the brother of the man we met earlier.
3) Tiggum, could you post the scene where we instead stop Roark's heart? I kinda want to see that...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep going. We have Huntmastery, don’t we?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

3) Tiggum, could you post the scene where we instead stop Roark's heart? I kinda want to see that...
Sure.

Under different circumstances, The Dungeons of Torgar might have posted:

Roark raises his amulet and screams a curse. Suddenly the chill that pains your arm lances across your chest and stabs at your heart. Mustering your strength and your psychic defences, you concentrate on repelling Roark’s attack. Immediately, the icy chill that threatens to freeze your heart begins to thaw, and you feel warmth flowing along your arm towards the iron amulet clenched in your fist. Suddenly Roark screams with pain and collapses—he has fallen victim to his own attack. You have reversed the flow of energy and stopped his heart.
It's not particularly evocative, IMO. Combat's my preferred option.

In case anyone's confused, this is not what's happening right now, see my previous post for the current situation and choice.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Keep going. We have Huntmastery, don’t we?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It's not particularly evocative, IMO. Combat's my preferred option.

Yeah, you're right. That's very anti-climactic.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The_White_Crane posted:

Yeah, you're right. That's very anti-climactic.

I mean, at the end of the day, it is still a heart attack and thus kind of pales to literally beating him to death with our bare hands.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

I hadn't the Sommerswerd, first time I tried, but I had the Dagger of Vashna.

Was it usable?

Stop and rest.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guy Fawkes posted:

Was it usable?

Of course not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Was it usable?
Not in this case. Sometimes having it instead of the Sommerswerd is a shortcut to victory or at least a viable alternative, other times it may as well be an ordinary dagger.

nelson posted:

Keep going.
Who needs sleep anyway?

You have covered less than a mile when suddenly you hear the screams of men and startled horses coming from the darkness ahead. Cautiously you advance until you find yourself at the edge of a steep slope which descends to the site of an ancient quarry. Torchlight flickers at the centre of this wooded bowl, illuminating a grim and supernatural conflict.

Healing: +1 EP (35/37).

A figure dressed in black robes, whom you recognize as one of Roark’s followers, is waving a burning torch in front of him at arm’s length and shouting. Five spectral shadow-shapes wreathed in mist swirl around him, trying repeatedly to penetrate his fiery guard. Behind him stands an ancient burial mound, and lying near its dark entrance are the bodies of two soldiers clad in leather armour and three horses. A dozen of the ghost-like apparitions hover over each of the soldiers, as if they are feasting on their bodies.

Healing: +1 EP (36/37).
Should we help fight the ghosts or avoid the fight and go around the quarry?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nice to encounter actual Ghosts on the Isle of Ghosts. Go around the fight and silently thank Roark's followers for distracting these things so we can escape them.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Justice for Rorak’s followers. We shouldn’t interfere. Let’s go around.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Tiggum posted:

fight the ghosts.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

achtungnight posted:

Nice to encounter actual Ghosts on the Isle of Ghosts. Go around the fight and silently thank Roark's followers for distracting these things so we can escape them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I ain't scared of no ghost!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Yeah, gently caress 'em. Pity we can't steal a horse or whistle one over though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

It seems a shame to come all the way to the Isle of Ghosts and leave just as the ghosts come out, but OK.

For two hours you stumble through the forest until fatigue finally catches up with you. Exhausted, you stop and crouch down, with your back against the trunk of a gnarled pine and your knees drawn up to your chin (you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points). Unable to resist any longer, you close your eyes and drift off into a deep sleep.

Healing: +1 EP (37/37).

The cold blue light of early morning and the sound of a crow cawing in the distance stir you from your deep sleep. Rays of golden sunlight stream through the forest’s canopy, illuminating the dark, grey-green foliage and making your continued trek through the pines a far easier task than last night. You make excellent progress and at mid-afternoon you emerge from the woods that fringe the eastern border to find yourself staring at the River Brol and the rolling green sea of trees that is the Moggador Forest.

The rushing waters of the Brol are too deep to traverse at this point, so you follow the rock-strewn bank northwards until you catch sight of an ideal place to cross. The remains of an ancient bridge, which collapsed centuries ago, form a shoal of broken stones that ford the river. The water bubbles and foams as it washes over this shallow causeway. Eagerly you approach the ford, but you stop dead in your tracks when you hear gruff, inhuman voices coming from a clump of bushes near the river’s edge.

You recognize the language being spoken by the owners of the harsh voices—it is Krorn. A shiver runs down your spine when you recall what you have heard about the evil creatures who speak this tongue, how they delight in cruelty and love nothing better than to devour human flesh. It would be wise to avoid them, but in order to reach the ford you have to pass close by the bushes. From what little you can hear of their conversation, they are arguing over some fish they have caught. As you creep nearer you pray that their argument will keep them distracted long enough for you to reach the river unseen.

We roll: 1 +3 (Solaris) = 4.

You have taken less than a dozen silent steps when the voices stop. There is a rustle of foliage, and then a group of hideous-looking creatures emerge from the bushes. They are not as tall as you but almost twice as broad, with arms that hang below their knees. They slobber repulsively as they draw their primitive weapons and shuffle closer.
Shall we use our bow or our sword?

If we'd rolled a 7 or higher we'd have avoided this fight. You need either Invisibility or Pathsmanship to even have that chance though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a Bow and We Wish to use it!.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
”Shoot ‘em in the face.” -Dick Cheney

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

achtungnight posted:

Also the Lone Wolf Saga app just updated with The Dungeons of Ixia, if anyone missed it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

It seems a shame to come all the way to the Isle of Ghosts and leave just as the ghosts come out, but OK.

Shall we use our bow or our sword?

If we'd rolled a 7 or higher we'd have avoided this fight. You need either Invisibility or Pathsmanship to even have that chance though.

What would have happened if we'd gone in to bust the ghosts? I was assuming either Death by Ghostnado or a stab in the back from Roark's ingrate buddy, but now I'm curious.

And hell yeah, we wish to use this bow what we have.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

It's Bow time!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

What would have happened if we'd gone in to bust the ghosts? I was assuming either Death by Ghostnado or a stab in the back from Roark's ingrate buddy, but now I'm curious.
You can fight them if you have either the Sommerswerd or Halgar's Bullwhip, but if you don't have either then you die. You can also fight them at the ruins of the building where Roark summoned Tagazin, which gives the same options but also lets you chase them off with a light source and Psi-surge.

Anyway, time to arrow these Krorns.

You draw an Arrow and let it fly at the leading creature. It pierces its hairless skull and sends it reeling into the bushes. The others gurgle their displeasure and fix you with their murderous black eyes as they make ready to rush forward and attack.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 37
Krorn: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 33
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 37
Krorn: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

You search the bodies of the dead Krorn but find little of value. Their weapons are crude and poorly fashioned, and their packs contain nothing but strips of dried meat. You consider the long journey ahead, but stories you have heard about the Krorn’s love of human flesh are enough to put you off the idea of taking this food.
Should we hide the bodies before we move on or leave them and go?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hide the bodies. Considering the amount of deaths we've caused, pausing to hide the bodies seems quaint.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Leave the bodies.
If you hide them, people don't know you were here. If people know you were here, they will come looking for you, allowing you to kill and loot them. This thread loves some looting, so it's about time we were proactive.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
When have we ever hidden the bodies before? Although when the books give you a safety-oriented option you should usually take it (duck as you open the door). But time is also a factor sometimes. Meh, let's live dangerously.

Leave them and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kai grant us the strength to accept that which we cannot change, the courage to change what we can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the creatures we had to kill because they attacked us first.