Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

The first of the 2nd gen Toyota surfs with the 3.0TD motor came out in 1993... that engine is a rocket in something as light as a surf.

So your saying a single cab pickup would be nailed with chicken tax, but the dual cabs aren’t? Cos there’s lots of rust free hiluxs in Australia...

I dunno how they do it with truck cabs but something like that 2nd gen USDM 4Runner would've originally shown up in the States with a steel panel in place of the rear seats for chicken tax reasons. Maybe the rear seats of cabs with 2nd rows are done the same way. It makes it classifiable as a MPV instead.

Even my FJ45 is classed as a MPV despite being a pickup truck. It has spent its entire life here in Canada so my only assumption about the classification is that maybe it was imported here thru the States.

E: The panels themselves are desirable objects for some 4Runner owners, few exist because they got rear seats installed by dealerships and most were scrapped as soon as they were removed.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

If you are shipping right out then yes it makes no sense. I am talking more about buying stuff in the UK that is under 25 years old then storing it for free on property a family member owns until it is 25 years old to import for myself.
But anything imported to the UK already will have been subject to our tax and duty already, and the cost of shipping.

I think you'd be better using that money for storage in Japan of cars sourced there, unless you happen to find a really good deal in the UK on a car in excellent condition - which seems unlikely, really.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I dunno how they do it with truck cabs but something like that 2nd gen USDM 4Runner would've originally shown up in the States with a steel panel in place of the rear seats for chicken tax reasons. Maybe the rear seats of cabs with 2nd rows are done the same way. It makes it classifiable as a MPV instead.

Even my FJ45 is classed as a MPV despite being a pickup truck. It has spent its entire life here in Canada so my only assumption about the classification is that maybe it was imported here thru the States.

E: The panels themselves are desirable objects for some 4Runner owners, few exist because they got rear seats installed by dealerships and most were scrapped as soon as they were removed.

Chicken Tax specifies that the trucks have to come with rear seats already installed, not the other way around. If it comes into the country with rear seats then you avoid the tax. That's why the Ford Transits are imported with the rear seats and carpet, then they rip those both out to sell the cargo Transit after avoiding the tax.
Suppose if they wanted to import a 4Runner without the rear seats for some sort of cargo version (most were 4 door by second gen so I don't understand that appeal) you'd import it with the seats then remove them post-import and place the steel panel. I'm probably missing something here.

BigPaddy posted:

If you are shipping right out then yes it makes no sense. I am talking more about buying stuff in the UK that is under 25 years old then storing it for free on property a family member owns until it is 25 years old to import for myself.

InitialDave posted:

But anything imported to the UK already will have been subject to our tax and duty already, and the cost of shipping.

I think you'd be better using that money for storage in Japan of cars sourced there, unless you happen to find a really good deal in the UK on a car in excellent condition - which seems unlikely, really.

Right like, shipping from Japan to the U.K. plus the taxes and duties already applied and then shipping from the U.K. to the USA seems like it would cost way the hell more than just a storage unit in Japan. If you leave it in Japan you pay storage costs and export+shipping costs once + storage fees. If you want to have free storage in the UK then you'd have to make sure that the process of exporting and shipping twice along with the duties and taxes charged by the U.K. is cheaper than storage in Japan which seems super doubtful. Even if whatever you are buying from the U.K. has been there for a few years that cost is still attached to everything imported which might inflate the whole market.
Plus if its in Japan still you KNOW it hasn't seen road salt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Right like, shipping from Japan to the U.K. plus the taxes and duties already applied and then shipping from the U.K. to the USA seems like it would cost way the hell more than just a storage unit in Japan.
Car price, shipping price, then 20% VAT & 10% import duty on top of those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

-86059- 5MT, AC, actual mileage, 4WD, one owner, non smoking, spare key, door mirrors not working, drivers seat visor not working, steering wheel worn, interior loose, undercarriage surface rust, left front door outer handle cracked, other dents and scratches

Someone way earlier in the thread was looking for a Toyota Carib (known as the Corolla All-Trac here in the states) and this one is a one non-smoking owner example with 45000 miles on it. Grade 4 interior grade B is way good condition. "Wine 2" in color :v: I imagine this might go for 2k or more at auction but it's impossible to know since I can't find any records of any selling outside of USS auctions and none of them were this nice and low mileage anyway. I have no idea the desirability of these and since we did get this here in the states I don't know what an imported one will do cost-wise. USDM ones in decent shape rarely crack 4k on the used market so I'm not willing to buy this and try to find a buyer later.

Still though, probably the nicest one to come to market for a long, long time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe up north it would be worth a premium, but not down here.

Looks really nice tho, I'd love a 2WD version of that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Maybe up north it would be worth a premium, but not down here.

Looks really nice tho, I'd love a 2WD version of that.

Here is a 2WD Toyota that would probably be pretty comfortable to camp in

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Paging Left Ventricle. You need to buy this and confuse the hell out of your neighbours. ^^^

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Kaker, I was listening to a bunch of old chiptunes because of that guy who replaced his volvo's door chime with an 8bit version of Toto - Africa and I think I have found the perfect door chime for your Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J91NDX_HI

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

Here is a 2WD Toyota that would probably be pretty comfortable to camp in

Sold for $12,290.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Kaker, I was listening to a bunch of old chiptunes because of that guy who replaced his volvo's door chime with an 8bit version of Toto - Africa and I think I have found the perfect door chime for your Crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J91NDX_HI

If I were to do something like that I'd use this one, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJHhCpc2fU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Sold for $12,290.

If I were to do something like that I'd use this one, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJHhCpc2fU

But the one I linked sounds all regal and stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sheet posted:

-6056- 5MT, NO AC, diesel, taisei generator CF-550 25KVA (210/105V) 686.3 hours, ceiling liner needs replacement, seats dirty, cargo area dents and scratches, left rear door does not open, other dents and scratches
2WD diesel 5 speed manual transmission'd Toyota Dyna 200 van with 5408 km on it. No AC but comes with a Taisei generator model CF-550 in the back there. Has dual sliding rear doors, pretty rare for a large van at this time. I'm pretty curious what this will sell for (if it does) since they don't go for much at all and I wonder if the generator is worth more than the truck itself.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX with 64000 km on it sold for $1230. I don't have a sheet translation but it looks to be in real good shape. Dunno what these go for here in the states but for less than $4500 you could have one I guess!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Really nice custom paint job on this little commercial kei truck I walked by earlier today.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Back to the topic of storing cars till they hit 25+, would it be possible to use a bonded warehouse at a USA port and store the car there? Since it technically hasn't entered the United States but is in-between countries. I know they're used in the art world to store pieces but I've never heard of one being used for car storage in this way. Thought then again I don't hang out with the high-end millionaire car collectors who probably know all about this.

Also what a good equivalent (japancardirect) site for motorbike auctions?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Jomo posted:

Back to the topic of storing cars till they hit 25+, would it be possible to use a bonded warehouse at a USA port and store the car there? Since it technically hasn't entered the United States but is in-between countries. I know they're used in the art world to store pieces but I've never heard of one being used for car storage in this way. Thought then again I don't hang out with the high-end millionaire car collectors who probably know all about this.

You can but it all comes down to expense and risk. I have thought about this long and hard, if I were going to do this I would get a good friend or family member to import into canada. Store it there and sell it to me for $1 when the time is up. Heated storage places just south of Vancouver BC are only about 65$ CAD a month. The problem is I don't have any family or friends that are Canadian citizens. American companies can import into Canada but I think US Citizens are a no go.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

$9060 sold price on this Dyna. Guess it is worth quite a lot.

:flashfap:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like the perfect race car to import and not register, too bad the drivelines on them are garbage.

Although if it is a true race car, there is a chance that all the weak spots were taken care of, could be worth a risk for someone looking for a rally car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Im posting itt so I can lust for cars I may be able to get Soon TM

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Nothing with one of those Cusco "cages" is a race car.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So went a little different route with buying a car and picked this up on Yahoo Auctions through a private seller.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g258957922

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

So went a little different route with buying a car and picked this up on Yahoo Auctions through a private seller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

gently caress yeah, looks excellent. How did it work? It would be rad if you posted about your whole experience so we could put it in the OP, buying from yahoo.jp is a strange and mysterious art to me.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah I’d be happy to. As soon as I can not phone post. But the quick and dirty it worked just like buying from a auction house. Just not as faced paced. JCD handled all the minutia. I’ll get more into it later.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Yeah I’d be happy to. As soon as I can not phone post. But the quick and dirty it worked just like buying from a auction house. Just not as faced paced. JCD handled all the minutia. I’ll get more into it later.

Oh you were going through JCD on a private sale. This makes way more sense, I was thinking you were doing it all yourself and was thinking you must walk around with a wheelbarrow to carry balls that big.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

gently caress yeah Cappo bros :boom:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Oh you were going through JCD on a private sale. This makes way more sense, I was thinking you were doing it all yourself and was thinking you must walk around with a wheelbarrow to carry balls that big.

Haha, yeah I'm not that crazy. We just weren't that enthused about what was coming up for sale in the auction houses. So we decided to look on the private market. In the end I probably paid a little more but the seller was quick to answer any questions we had about the car and uploaded more detailed photos that included pictures of underneath the car and a short start and idling video. I'm pretty happy about the car now the long wait.

InitialDave posted:

gently caress yeah Cappo bros :boom:
:respek: Your thread is what got me to finally take the jump and actually try and get a Cappo. I've always liked them and drove them way to much in GT games. Crazy I'll have one in my garage in a month or so if all things go well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

:respek: Your thread is what got me to finally take the jump and actually try and get a Cappo. I've always liked them and drove them way to much in GT games. Crazy I'll have one in my garage in a month or so if all things go well.
Haha, glad to hear it! Been neglecting mine, but I'm intending to give it a bit more love this year.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Jomo posted:

From what I remember during my time in import operations, in the US you only have 15 calender days to clear an imported shipment before CBP is allowed to start the process of seizing/destroying/sending it back to origin.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Haha, yeah I'm not that crazy. We just weren't that enthused about what was coming up for sale in the auction houses. So we decided to look on the private market. In the end I probably paid a little more but the seller was quick to answer any questions we had about the car and uploaded more detailed photos that included pictures of underneath the car and a short start and idling video. I'm pretty happy about the car now the long wait.

Yeah I was like "Woah dude just bought from yahoo auctions????" but if it went through JCD then yeah that's much smoother. Still intensely interested in your experience and would love to add it to the op if you're still down. More options = better
Dunno where you are in the country but if JCD is handling the exporting and if you are working with a broker (like Henry from Great World) then it should be super smooth and you've got nothing to worry about. I'd anticipate changing the oil asap though, just to be sure.

IN AUCTION NEWS

This looks rad as gently caress, right?

Auction Sheet posted:

-6709- 5MT, AC, diesel, rear gate does not open, undercarriage surface rust, battery dead, engine oil leak, door mirrors scratched, small chips in windshield, studless tires, interior dirty, seats dirty worn and tears, trim dirty, steering wheel worn, dashboard glue remains, other dents and scratches

Hmm. Sometimes an inspector sees an oil leak that isn't terrible or sees seeping valve covers and marks that down as a leak. I got an inspection anyway because just look at the thing. Plus I was curious about the paint, it looks pretty bad but the sheet makes it seem like it's fine and just supremely dirty.

Third Party Inspector Man posted:

engine took time to start, idle unstable, revs rough, black smoke, timing belt changed 2000 76,000km, no sludge, radiator fluid brown, no engine oil leaks, oil dripping from turbo area, studless tires cracked, spare tire cracked, undercarriage surface rust and some corrosion starting on right side, paint totally faded dirty and moss growing, drivers seat 30cm tear and worn on door side, passenger seat worn on door side, steering wheel worn and needs replacement, ceiling liner loose in rear, dashboard heavily faded, animal hairs, carpet and drivers seat burns, clutch ok, gears ok, check engine lights ok, electrics stopped working during test (main fuse blown?), was not able to test AC, lights, wipers, etc.

Inspector said that it looked maintained a long time ago but hasn't been driven in a long time. He rated the paint fade as 1/10.

That thing has a 3.5 rating with moss growing on it. Never trust the sheet, she lies.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So buying on yahoo auctions is pretty much like buying on eBay. Only real difference was like the auction houses is that you can win for less then your max bid. JCD asked any questions I had and translated the answer back. As well as translating the item description. It was all super smooth I just told JCD what my max bid I wanted to put on the car then just waited it out.

I think that going the private sale route is more risky. Can’t have a inspector look at it. No auction grading system (not that always is accurate anyway). You really are at the mercy of the seller listing the car correctly and honestly. Luckily my seller was always quick to respond to any questions I had and the extra photos they posted seem to back up how they described the car. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have even bothered bidding. So if you’re gonna go the private route I would keep on your toes and really do the legwork in making sure everything is repped correctly. But JCD made it super smooth and overall I’m really happy how it turned out. Once everything is finalized I’ll list the costs involved in buying off yahoo.

Feel free to toss that in the op if you want.

quote:

Yeah I was like "Woah dude just bought from yahoo auctions????" but if it went through JCD then yeah that's much smoother. Still intensely interested in your experience and would love to add it to the op if you're still down. More options = better
Dunno where you are in the country but if JCD is handling the exporting and if you are working with a broker (like Henry from Great World) then it should be super smooth and you've got nothing to worry about. I'd anticipate changing the oil asap though, just to be sure.

Yeah I’ll be using a broker. I’m picking up in Baltimore and saw where the customs house is and getting there with a truck and trailer... yeah gently caress that haha. That alone makes it worth using a broker. I just want to go to the port do whatever minimal paper work and load the car and get out.

Yep car comes with a new unused timing belt the stock springs and I already have a oil filter (thank you Suzuki marine engines)

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 17, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

So buying on yahoo auctions is pretty much like buying on eBay. Only real difference was like the auction houses is that you can win for less then your max bid. JCD asked any questions I had and translated the answer back. As well as translating the item description. It was all super smooth I just told JCD what my max bid I wanted to put on the car then just waited it out.

I think that going the private sale route is more risky. Can’t have a inspector look at it. No auction grading system (not that always is accurate anyway). You really are at the mercy of the seller listing the car correctly and honestly. Luckily my seller was always quick to respond to any questions I had and the extra photos they posted seem to back up how they described the car. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have even bothered bidding. So if you’re gonna go the private route I would keep on your toes and really do the legwork in making sure everything is repped correctly. But JCD made it super smooth and overall I’m really happy how it turned out. Once everything is finalized I’ll list the costs involved in buying off yahoo.

Feel free to toss that in the op if you want.

Yeah I’ll be using a broker. I’m picking up in Baltimore and saw where the customs house is and getting there with a truck and trailer... yeah gently caress that haha. That alone makes it worth using a broker. I just want to go to the port do whatever minimal paper work and load the car and get out.

Yep car comes with a new unused timing belt the stock springs and I already have a oil filter (thank you Suzuki marine engines)

Added, thanks.

in my news:

Sheet posted:

-14054- 5MT, mileage unconfirmed, interior dirty, seat sunk and torn, undercarriage surface rust, tier cover torn, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint peeling and corrosion

Inspector posted:

-14054- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no timing belt sticker, slight sludge, radiator fluid ok, upper tank of radiator show signs of old leak, no oil leaks, tires are cracked, wheel wells ok, rear member corrosion but no hole, roof paint peeling, hood C2 but no holes, chips in windshield are small, seats very sunk, tear 7cm in drivers seat, steering wheel worn and cracked, dashboard cracks 7cm x 2 above vents, door center area loose, ceiling liner very dirty, no AC but has cooler, cooler ok, compressor ok, clutch heavy but ok, gears ok, check engine lights ok, 4WD switch ok, turn signal light out, headlights ok, fog lights do not turn on, power steering ok, wipers ok

I bid on this for $2800, it sold elsewhere for $3065. That's super surprising because that's a thousand dollars more than I got my Rugger for, and this one is in worse shape and only a 3.5 sheet grade vs. my 4 grade Rugger. This one has unverified mileage (probably means that it has 166000 km on it) which is more miles than my verified-mileage Rugger. This one is newer (90 vs an 85) and does have an intercooler but it's the same truck as mine but with a worse front grill.
Notice too how it says it doesn't have AC, but it has a 'cooler'. This is what Garbagemen was talking about when they won't mark down dealer-installed (or aftermarket) AC units as being AC. So it does have functioning AC.
Slightly bummed that the cost was way over what I got mine for, and really all I can lay that on is it being a really active USS action vs. the TAA (I think) house I got mine from. :toot:

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

I can definitely vouch for using a broker, both generally and in the case of Baltimore. I am paperwork-addled, and they made it easy to get things together. I think I only had to overnight one document. As for geography, I drove it home myself, and the route to the customs place has tolls, so no thanks. The shot from the port to the gas station to the highway to get out of town is straightforward and lets you get a feel for the car.

The port pickup was cool. We got to see a series of different manufacturers' collection points and the Ro-Ro ship at the dock nearby in action. The JDM assembly area at our pickup point had all kinds of only-imagined stuff in it: limo, giant-gold-coffin-chambered hearse, kei-trucks, unidentifiable utility vehicles, one of the Toyota AWD vans with safari-looking accoutrements.

I found a cheap Beat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3V-ldTeS7Y) with Amagasaki Motor in Osaka, picked it up yesterday, drove it to Ohio, and couldn't be happier with how simple they made things.
** Don't get a Beat if you have meaty thighs (no idea how you'd slide your left leg under the steering wheel to get in) or want to drive up mountains on interstates. Otherwise they are pretty dang lovable. **

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Electric Pigeon posted:

I can definitely vouch for using a broker, both generally and in the case of Baltimore. I am paperwork-addled, and they made it easy to get things together. I think I only had to overnight one document. As for geography, I drove it home myself, and the route to the customs place has tolls, so no thanks. The shot from the port to the gas station to the highway to get out of town is straightforward and lets you get a feel for the car.

The port pickup was cool. We got to see a series of different manufacturers' collection points and the Ro-Ro ship at the dock nearby in action. The JDM assembly area at our pickup point had all kinds of only-imagined stuff in it: limo, giant-gold-coffin-chambered hearse, kei-trucks, unidentifiable utility vehicles, one of the Toyota AWD vans with safari-looking accoutrements.

I found a cheap Beat with Amagasaki Motor in Osaka, picked it up yesterday, drove it to Ohio, and couldn't be happier with how simple they made things.
** Don't get a Beat if you have meaty thighs (no idea how you'd slide your left leg under the steering wheel to get in) or want to drive up mountains on interstates. Otherwise they are pretty dang lovable. **

Awesome that’s a relief that the broker made things way simpler. Where in Ohio are you? I’m bringing back the Cappo to Cincinnati. It’s funny I’ve already seen quite a few JDM cars rolling around here mostly Skylines but I pass a Pao :3: every morning on 75. Also would you mind going into greater detail about picking up from Baltimore and the way things went down? you can PM if you don’t want to clog up the thread. Also nice Beat!

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 17, 2018

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Awesome that’s a relief that the broker made things way simpler. Where in Ohio are you? I’m bringing back the Cappo to Cincinnati. It’s funny I’ve already seen quite a few JDM cars rolling around here mostly Skylines but I pass a Pao :3: every morning on 75. Also would you mind going into greater detail about picking up from Baltimore and the way things went down? you can PM if you don’t want to clog up the thread. Also nice Beat!

I'm in Columbus, PM sent, and thanks -- it is a tiny tub of grins, for sure.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

IN AUCTION NEWS

This looks rad as gently caress, right?

Hmm. Sometimes an inspector sees an oil leak that isn't terrible or sees seeping valve covers and marks that down as a leak. I got an inspection anyway because just look at the thing. Plus I was curious about the paint, it looks pretty bad but the sheet makes it seem like it's fine and just supremely dirty.

That thing has a 3.5 rating with moss growing on it. Never trust the sheet, she lies.

This sold for $1850 lmao

EDIT

:whatup:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SUPER CASUAL

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
SUPER CASUAL that is so good

TACTICAL SANDALS