Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Reality Loser posted:

I still cant figure out how to restart Ursula's affinity quest but that's okay because she sucks and I hate her. I'm assuming it's a ng+ bug. Will her affinity reset if I release and recapture her?

You guys are making me want to go back and play xbc1.

I'm pretty sure the torigoth girl who starts the questline at the fountain is only playing at night, and you won't be able to start it if you don't have at least driver #4 in your party I'm pretty sure, as well as having Pyra of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
XB1 is fine until the last quarter when suddenly the level difference harsh penalties come into play. A thing I appreciate that most story encounters was resolved by just knowing the system well in XB2.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

U-DO Burger posted:

what, you don't want to run around the bionis interior for an hour praying for a black liver bean?

:argh:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

what, you don't want to run around the bionis interior for an hour praying for a black liver bean?

having those items be plentiful but not required for anything in XC2 felt like the game was mocking me

Same with the Rainbow Slug and Ice Cabbage being common drops here. Yeah, real fuckin' cute Monolithsoft! :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ajkalan posted:

Same with the Rainbow Slug and Ice Cabbage being common drops here. Yeah, real fuckin' cute Monolithsoft! :argh:

Rainbow Slug is the one that broke me on finishing Colony 6. I managed to even get Ice Cabbages too. Oh well, the town was good enough state at this point. Was there anything like it in XB2 since I probably finish XB1 tonight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I managed to finish Colony 6 easily, which was probably a huge stroke of luck.
Yet I never finished the game. I needed to level up too much to do all the content that unlocked just before the end and didn't want to do that but also didn't want to miss out so I just stopped.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I figured out the Ursula thing. There's a heart to heart in Cobalt Cliffs, Uraya that you need before the fountain cutscene will trigger.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rirse posted:

Rainbow Slug is the one that broke me on finishing Colony 6. I managed to even get Ice Cabbages too. Oh well, the town was good enough state at this point. Was there anything like it in XB2 since I probably finish XB1 tonight.

No I wish, XC2 is very barren of world building activities or even things in general that expand the world, which is a shame since XCX's big cool thing was how all the aliens had really cool fleshed out stories.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Everyone's counting on meeee. I gotta step it up.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I just finished this last night and it was really enjoyable.

Although the gacha mechanics and field ability switcharoo were just goddamn annoying.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
What are the chances of an XCX release on the switch?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Monolith was looking at the possibility in somewhat recently, IIRC. If they can make it work they'll probably do it because the game sold decently well on the Wii U, so it'd probably do well enough on the Switch. Especially if it's a 'definitive version' or something that otherwise finishes/fixes a few major issues XCX had.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Man I hope they don't because I'd feel compelled to buy it and play it again. I probably have 3-400 hours in that stupid game, of which like 1-200 was just farming for ridiculous gear for postgame, killing that dumb lugulbanda and/or the strongest prone and/or whatever over and over, or various other things to get a specific set of rare perks on the stupid glaives, not to mention all the poo poo to make ridiculous skells with ridiculous upgrades.

I at least hope I can import my last save from WiiU because I had almost all of what I wanted there but I burned out before I really had a chance to use any of it on anything that wasn't just farming.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 17, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I would love if it gets ported over. I sold off my WiiU and Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage are the only ones left on it that I would love if it got sent to the Switch, along with Mario 3D World.

Also finally on Xenoblade 2 and am loving it, even if I keep hitting the quick travel button since I was so used to X being the menu in the first game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Don't get me wrong - XCX was easily my favorite WiU game, and I talked about how I'm a mental defective who actually really liked the story and characters earlier in the thread somewhere. I just have poor self control and will end up buying it and playing it yet again for a few hundred more hours instead of doing things I should be doing, or at least playing games I haven't already played through several times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Monolith was looking at the possibility in somewhat recently, IIRC. If they can make it work they'll probably do it because the game sold decently well on the Wii U, so it'd probably do well enough on the Switch. Especially if it's a 'definitive version' or something that otherwise finishes/fixes a few major issues XCX had.

Any kind of rerelease frankly needs to add a third act, if not just rebuild the whole drat trainwreck of a plot from the ground up. How the main story ends is just laughably terrible in a way I don't think can reasonably fly beyond "we were rushed for time/money to get it released" with the original release.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any kind of rerelease frankly needs to add a third act, if not just rebuild the whole drat trainwreck of a plot from the ground up. How the main story ends is just laughably terrible in a way I don't think can reasonably fly beyond "we were rushed for time/money to get it released" with the original release.

The very VERY end is just insane. I have no idea why they included it. Just cut that bit out and you're fine.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbh I'd rather have more alien party members than a finished plot

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

U-DO Burger posted:

*Monkeys paw curls, a female version of L is added by the dev team*

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That and allowing co-op in the main game, not just world tyrants, are all I ask for. I can forgive the bad diablo-wannabe equipment system and the dumb healing mechanics if they add co-op to the actual game. Force friends to de-level to your level, and don't let them use skells (or skell flight) if you can't, if Monolith is worried about balance. The way co-op existed in that game was such a cruel tease.

e: Redoing the character faces to be less :shepface: would be nice too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 17, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

The very VERY end is just insane. I have no idea why they included it. Just cut that bit out and you're fine.

Noooo, there are a lot of visibly-missing elements to the story and what's delivered is just a slap-dash of whatever could be forged into something vaguely coherent at the last minute.

There's also lingering elements of drastic script re-writes, like setting up Maurice Chausson as a would-be dictator with his initial appearance... only for every other encounter with him having Maurice be a perfectly decent person and leader.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noooo, there are a lot of visibly-missing elements to the story and what's delivered is just a slap-dash of whatever could be forged into something vaguely coherent at the last minute.

There's also lingering elements of drastic script re-writes, like setting up Maurice Chausson as a would-be dictator with his initial appearance... only for every other encounter with him having Maurice be a perfectly decent person and leader.

Personally I thought it was cool how Yelv was post-release DLC in Japan and they still managed to come up with a nonsense cliffhanger for him.

I liked X a lot, but it would still take a lot of work to make it an actual good game, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to put in all that time and effort.
...though if they just released it, but went "Oh yeah we added a sixth continent to explore", I would buy it in a heartbeat.

U-DO Burger posted:

The Samurai Pizza Cats do seem conspicuously absent from the playable character list. Since the rest of the aliens had more varied body types it would have required more work with the armor modeling, but the cat people were like generally the same dimensions as the humans.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2018

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ErIog posted:

I don't remember all the exposition, but I remember a flashback where somebody mentions in the old days it was pretty common for drivers to essentially marry their blades. It's hazy, though.

Based on that I would say it's pretty common.

It's a major thematic failure that the game doesn't adequately explore the idea that Blades are basically gladiator slaves who are bound to random people against their will, even before getting into the ethical implications of a romantic or sexual relationship in that kind of power imbalance. The only people to bring up how hosed the Blade thing is are the villains, who make completely correct and coherent arguments that the heroes ignore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just assumed the affinity to cubes is how they avoid most of the abuse of power ( someone basically bleeds from their pores because they don't match with the blade in the first few hours).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tae posted:

I just assumed the affinity to cubes is how they avoid most of the abuse of power ( someone basically bleeds from their pores because they don't match with the blade in the first few hours).

I thought that was a metaphor for whether you get sucked into these games or bounce off them

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Isn't it more just flat out yay/nay driver status rather than compatibility with particular blades?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tender Bender posted:

It's a major thematic failure that the game doesn't adequately explore the idea that Blades are basically gladiator slaves who are bound to random people against their will, even before getting into the ethical implications of a romantic or sexual relationship in that kind of power imbalance. The only people to bring up how hosed the Blade thing is are the villains, who make completely correct and coherent arguments that the heroes ignore.

You'll note the villains are all blades that have outlived their drivers (Or Malos, who has special circumstances). Blades bond super hard with their drivers, which is probably why they get their memories wiped when they die, because if they didn't then they'd all be like Jin.

That said, Theory demonstrates that it's entirely possible for a Blade to kill their own driver if pushed hard enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

You'll note the villains are all blades that have outlived their drivers (Or Malos, who has special circumstances). Blades bond super hard with their drivers, which is probably why they get their memories wiped when they die, because if they didn't then they'd all be like Jin.

That said, Theory demonstrates that it's entirely possible for a Blade to kill their own driver if pushed hard enough.

Also don't forget that Malos is driven by all that hatred because that hatred comes from his driver.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argas posted:

Isn't it more just flat out yay/nay driver status rather than compatibility with particular blades?

That was the impression I got, considering what Tora says about not being able to become a driver and whatnot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Tora, I just got him and is there a good explanation on what to do with Poppi. Also does he ever get another blade or he just figures out a way to quick swap her AI on the fly?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

That's correct. The tricky part is figuring out if you're a Driver or gonna bleed from every orifice when you pick up the Crystal.

Because the only test is picking up a Core Crystal :gibs:.

Rirse posted:

Speaking of Tora, I just got him and is there a good explanation on what to do with Poppi. Also does he ever get another blade or he just figures out a way to quick swap her AI on the fly?

Leave Poppi set to Meatshield for the time being, because Tora has a shitload of HP and can soak damage. You'll get two other Poppi forms as the game progresses.

Tender Bender posted:

I'd disagree with this somewhat, though I totally get where you're coming from, because a lot of the seedier stuff you imply isn't actually there outside of some visibly-awful situations (Bandits selling off pretty female Blades as sex slaves, for example). The general tone the story takes is that beyond being paired with a Driver for combat, they're still very much their own person. And even then, they have to want to fight alongside the Driver for them to really achieve anything.

You see Blades off doing their own thing everywhere, and even in the Mor Ardain military soldiers give Brighid due respect for her own authority rather than something like "do as she says or Morag will punish us". There's also plenty of stuff in the sidequests that show people really don't care if you're Human or Blade (which is a thematic part of the story), because people will do stuff like give ownership of a store to one without it being a major deal.

Even the romance aspect is generally shown to come from mutual interests/respect rather than "YOU'RE MY BLADE, LET'S BONE! :byodood:" Pandoria loves the hell out of Zeke because he's fought so hard to protect her even when he didn't have to. It's why she willingly gave a piece of her Core Crystal up. You also do see some completely platonic pairings like Vess and her Driver that're just life-long friends.

The story and setting at-large could've easily taken the hamfistedly stupid route you describe (not your idea of it, but the idea itself), but I think they've made a fair effort to try and avoid that.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Ultimately, the question is how much is a Blade forced to obey their Driver. And I don't remember the game showing that a Driver can force obedience.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I dont feel bad for squandering a couple overdrives, but apparently most people minmax harder than I do. You get plenty imo from the 5 affinity charts

right now my 2nd and 3rd slot blades are as follows~

-Kora and Floren on Nia
-Aegaeon and Perceval on 4
-Nim and Xenobia on 5

I play 5 mostly and sometimes I play 4 because I want to switch roles, I never manually play as Nia really.

Is there any major flaw in this setup? For context, Ive got Boreas, Godfrey, Old Gorg, Electra, Roc, Agate, Wulfric, and Sheba on characters that can't make best use of them... I really dont see the point in sitting on the overdrives (except keeping one back for kosmos)

edit: I just beat chapter 6, moments ago, so that's how far I am. No clue how much i have left

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I also love salvaging, but that may be because the RPG I played right before this was The Last Remnant.

It features a cute creature named Mr Diggs for salvaging, and instead of a QTE and random monsters each salvage, you get a set amount of A Button presses and then you have to zone out and back in and run all the way back to the digging spot. A lot.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Don't overdrive anyone to Rex.

Boreas is quite good in areas you face more than one enemy at a time. Roc is okay and is Rex's only source of Smash. Never liked Gorg or Agate, especially compared to Zenobia. Wulfric and Sheba are pretty good autoattackers.

I got Electra on Morag and I liked that it gave Topple. You can also get a rare shield hammer blade from salvaging in mor ardain, near the docks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oiled and Ready posted:

I dont feel bad for squandering a couple overdrives, but apparently most people minmax harder than I do. You get plenty imo from the 5 affinity charts

right now my 2nd and 3rd slot blades are as follows~

-Kora and Floren on Nia
-Aegaeon and Perceval on 4
-Nim and Xenobia on 5

I play 5 mostly and sometimes I play 4 because I want to switch roles, I never manually play as Nia really.

Is there any major flaw in this setup? For context, Ive got Boreas, Godfrey, Old Gorg, Electra, Roc, Agate, Wulfric, and Sheba on characters that can't make best use of them... I really dont see the point in sitting on the overdrives (except keeping one back for kosmos)

edit: I just beat chapter 6, moments ago, so that's how far I am. No clue how much i have left

That setup is mostly fine. Perceval isn't all that great but there aren't a lot of options for dark tank blades. If you want to give Four something better, you can pick up a really good ice tank blade from a sidequest. Buy the "Core Crystal Hunters" from an Informant and go slum around Torrigoth with more than 10 Core Crystals in your inventory.

Zenobia is perfect on Five so definitely leave her there. If you want a better option, and an alternate Earth Blade, Wulfric is really good on either of your attackers. If you prefer Five to Rex (I definitely do), then that's an excellent use of one of your overdrives. Then, if you don't want to double up on too many elements for Chain Attack purposes, consider Overdriving Boreas to Nia. He's a really, really, good healing Blade. Try to get KOS-MOS on.... Nia. That's right Nia. Having two healers and an attacker on Nia is a good setup and Nia makes excellent use of ether cannon Blades. KOS-MOS's specials also heal for a goodly amount, so there you go.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I can't believe I used Godfrey on Morag for most of the game, completely unaware he was terrible

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

I can't believe I used Godfrey on Morag for most of the game, completely unaware he was terrible
Kind of exemplifies that it doesn't really matter until maybe post game.

As far as dark tanks, I used perceval quite a bit until I swapped him out for Kassandra once I snagged her. And she's not a random drop, so I'd suggest doing that change.

Although it really doesn't matter.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you are planning on just doing sidequests and beating the last boss, no postgame, just use overdrives, you don't get a whole lot but you won't gently caress anything up.

This was basically me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgU4Oum8SLg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thurin
Jun 24, 2006
Can someone give me a checklist of easy stuff to do before NG+?
I'm going to take care of some of the side quests I have going and leave some of the ones I've barely started. I haven't killed any of the superbosses, I was going to save those until NG+.
I assume I'm going to have to rush through most of the story to get a full party (and most of my blades) back?