Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ammanas posted:

the crew just would NOT change their behavior. Very little chokepoint work, constantly separating. Over and over. Kinda funny

this is like 99% of groups though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, dedicated servers can't come fast enough.

I almost feel like taking a break until then, because I get disconnected 1 out of 5 games and it's incredibly annoying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some tips for how to survive in this game that worked in left4dead and work here.

• Horde music just went off? find the nearest area where your backs are safe and get your team to go there, you don't want a hundred enemies dropping on your heads, the ideal is finding a chokepoint where they can only come in a narrow line, the next best is to just find a wall without holes and ledges for them to climb over, if your somehow stuck in a wide open area do a shooting retreat to somewhere safer
  • It's often better to deal with the one straggler that is coming behind your teammate then the twenty in front of him
  • A followup to the previous one, if your 3 teammates are mulching the horde coming from in front of them just keep your eyes open in the opposite direction and if you got a mic call out if there is a horde coming behind that you can't handle by yourself.
  • Champion has friendly fire, get out of the habit of walking through your shooting teammates or making erratic movements while they are shooting around you
  • The disabler specials will always spawn on top of you the instant you turn a corner out of line of sight of your team
  • Explosive barrels will always disappoint you, but oil barrels can always come in handy for blocking a chokepoint shortly, try to avoid lighting fires in front of your team unless you were planning not to move forward anytime soon
  • When the boss is focused on you, your job is just to block and dodge around and keep it's attention while your team wears it down or deals with a horde, don't get greedy hitting it more then once between it's attacks if you still got it's attention, your just buying time

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean "dedicated controller" might be nerdspeak but in a game where I can stack different effects to different ends roles sort of happen on their own. Like a character with a shield stacked for crazy amounts of stamina will play differently than a twin blade elf stacked for crit. It kind of stands to reason that if you play a character differently you might be fulfilling a 'role' whether you want to or not.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Controversial opinion: Shields are good. Backhanding an entire horde at once with it is also more satisfying and (probably?) more effective than just pushing with a regular weapon.

The real problem with shields is why all of Bardin's good shield designs come with incredibly bland axe designs.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Shield and axe ironbreaker bardin rules and the only choice from there is handgun or drakefires

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
What I don't understand is the complaint about having others do things for you, or you for them in the case of helping finished off a wave of stunned enemies. This is a team game, after all. As Kruber, I am not going to complain about FIRE and ELF thinning things out from range and 'stealing' my oh-so-precious green circles I don't give two wits about. The game can get a lot meaner than a straight flood of unarmored rats, and if that happens I'll gladly keep line of fire clear so they can make sure we don't reach a state of cascade failure. People love to treat [insert singular threat] in a vaccum. Oh just [insert solution] it's easy! Except the entire design of the game is dealing with a complex threat from mixed elements. Being able to focus my attention on headshotting high damage and armored enemies is something I consider a blessing. I don't want to worry about if 10 poo poo-tier rats are going to stab me in the back any second. Living Shield bashes everything down for easy pickings. Elf thins them as they come in and makes sure a flood of 5 specials at once doesn't ruin us. Fire puts spot aid on whichever front needs help. Glorious Mustache keeps everyone safe from big boys with his hilarious headshot potential and keep their backs clear so they can focus on what's important.

I do not care about my total kills. I do not care that Sienna beat me to killing this special this time. I do not care about the blatantly host advantaged total damage number. I care about group cohesion. If you don't see the value in "I can just pretend this thing is not a threat and focus on my 1/4 of the battle" then you are overgeared for your difficulty.

Maybe this is just a thing easier to grasp from an MMO background. I have long since settled in to the role of low damage support whenever a game will allow me, and often times it's a critical role. One very few people are willing to perform at that. Which I find odd for something required to even play the game.Particularly when you move on to 'savage' versions of content, no one is going to complain your class does not do X or Y thing because the group's mechanical profile is not complete without you. You can go on about how great you are, but till you post yourself soloing the content on the highest difficulty then I'm just going to roll my eyes and silently support my team's backs so they can put out maximum effort. I appreciate teammates that do the same for me. DPS that think they are the sole star quickly find out how little they are wanted or needed, as DPS checks are often low enough for average players to meet. Making cooperative personalities more desirable than high performance ones that are hard to work with(I assure you this holds true with VT as well).

That the roles in this game are a bit more complex than the straight up dps-tank-support trifecta does, in no way, render cooperation and team comp less critical. I certainly notice when groups perform visibly worse when they lack a certain niche or because someone sees the red haze and forgets what they were supposed to be doing. You'd be shocked at how much group dynamic still matters for this kind of game. Not to mention the nature of wordless communication. Most of which involves blind trust that someone is doing what their class is designed to do rather than jerking it in a corner.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or did they either widen the Smoke Bomb area of effect or make it so that you no longer need to stay in it? I used it to hammer my way through a scrum in Screaming Bell's marketplace, and I'm pretty sure I crossed from one end to the other while bopping some Chaos Warriors that were on my teammates.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, it feels great when the matchmaker gives you a group of randoms that know their poo poo and you just breeze through 6 or 7 champion missions in a row.
Even Spewseeker Blechwish couldn't stand in our way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

Its kind of amazing, I just ran several rounds with the same group of people and lost every one - a couple from Bad Bugs (like a ratling gunner shooting through a full on wall, dropping the two better players then a horde hit) but mostly because the crew just would NOT change their behavior. Very little chokepoint work, constantly separating. Over and over. Kinda funny

Generally random players will just fight where they stand when a boss or horde spawns no matter how terrible the terrain is unless you tell them to go somewhere. The amount of random runs I've seen go from completely smooth to lost or on death's door because people decided that it was a good idea to fight a Chaos Spawn on a narrow staircase or fight a horde in an open street when there is a door ten feet behind the group is amazing.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Losing an otherwise good run to that is always tragic. As are situations where Roger spawns, but so does EVERYTHING ELSE. I figure 3 on 1 rat ogre is good odds for the team and focus on trash clearing so people don't get hemmed in around Roger. I also encounter the odd special trying to sneak in with them. Which is a huge problem if unchecked. Team should be able to live while I am only a few feet away making sure issues don't cross and compound eachother.

I turn around and they've been fighting in the worst location possible and had a cascade failure of some kind.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ironbreaker damage taken :discourse:

Coolguye posted:

i wrote a steam guide on the monster bosses as a whole here if you want more words on the subject, but the short version is that whomever is being targeted needs to go full defensive and dodge to keep from getting grabbed, and everyone else should beat the poo poo out of him.

unfortunately there definitely is a damage race element to it, and all bosses, simply because if they live for too long you will have a horde come in and make things a LOT more complicated.

this is a good guide but I no longer think the roger advice that "if he's not facing you, you're safe" can be trusted. several times tonight he was attacking someone else and I was hitting him in the butt until he suddenly did a 180 at the same time as a ground pound to instantly take off half my health bar. Kinda bullshit. Still seems safe for spaghetti-o at least.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fuuka Ayase posted:

What I don't understand is the complaint about having others do things for you, or you for them in the case of helping finished off a wave of stunned enemies. This is a team game, after all. As Kruber, I am not going to complain about FIRE and ELF thinning things out from range and 'stealing' my oh-so-precious green circles I don't give two wits about. The game can get a lot meaner than a straight flood of unarmored rats, and if that happens I'll gladly keep line of fire clear so they can make sure we don't reach a state of cascade failure. People love to treat [insert singular threat] in a vaccum. Oh just [insert solution] it's easy! Except the entire design of the game is dealing with a complex threat from mixed elements. Being able to focus my attention on headshotting high damage and armored enemies is something I consider a blessing. I don't want to worry about if 10 poo poo-tier rats are going to stab me in the back any second. Living Shield bashes everything down for easy pickings. Elf thins them as they come in and makes sure a flood of 5 specials at once doesn't ruin us. Fire puts spot aid on whichever front needs help. Glorious Mustache keeps everyone safe from big boys with his hilarious headshot potential and keep their backs clear so they can focus on what's important.

I do not care about my total kills. I do not care that Sienna beat me to killing this special this time. I do not care about the blatantly host advantaged total damage number. I care about group cohesion. If you don't see the value in "I can just pretend this thing is not a threat and focus on my 1/4 of the battle" then you are overgeared for your difficulty.

Maybe this is just a thing easier to grasp from an MMO background. I have long since settled in to the role of low damage support whenever a game will allow me, and often times it's a critical role. One very few people are willing to perform at that. Which I find odd for something required to even play the game.Particularly when you move on to 'savage' versions of content, no one is going to complain your class does not do X or Y thing because the group's mechanical profile is not complete without you. You can go on about how great you are, but till you post yourself soloing the content on the highest difficulty then I'm just going to roll my eyes and silently support my team's backs so they can put out maximum effort. I appreciate teammates that do the same for me. DPS that think they are the sole star quickly find out how little they are wanted or needed, as DPS checks are often low enough for average players to meet. Making cooperative personalities more desirable than high performance ones that are hard to work with(I assure you this holds true with VT as well).

That the roles in this game are a bit more complex than the straight up dps-tank-support trifecta does, in no way, render cooperation and team comp less critical. I certainly notice when groups perform visibly worse when they lack a certain niche or because someone sees the red haze and forgets what they were supposed to be doing. You'd be shocked at how much group dynamic still matters for this kind of game. Not to mention the nature of wordless communication. Most of which involves blind trust that someone is doing what their class is designed to do rather than jerking it in a corner.

I mostly hate when people go loving nuts killing individual ambient rats. 2 skavenslaves sitting around are no threat to the Saltzpyre that is 1 second away from decapitating them. There's no need to introduce a constant, unending friendly fire risk that puts everyone on edge. Drakefire pistols are the worst for this because they are innacurate, spammy, infinite, have a huge hitbox, and do aoe. Whenever 24/7 pistolero Bardin is around, half the damage I take is fireballs to the back. Drakegun Bardins who can melt a hallway by themselves during a horde are great, but they seem to be a tiny minority.

Though even aside from that, runs where you don't have anyone super ranged-heavy are easily the most pleasant because you don't have to be so goddamn cautious about every single step you take in a game with movement-heavy melee combat. It's unfortunately extremely rare because the ranged careers are the most overpowered for every character except Kruber (assuming you consider Ironbreaker as a ranged subclass, which he might as well be).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Digirat posted:

spaghetti-o

don't encourage him

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Man, it feels great when the matchmaker gives you a group of randoms that know their poo poo and you just breeze through 6 or 7 champion missions in a row.
Even Spewseeker Blechwish couldn't stand in our way.

My crew got wiped two times in a row last night trying to take out Burblespue, on Veteran even. A mace-wielding Foot Knight is just not effective against him. I guess you're supposed to range him while eating his plasma attacks that are almost unavoidable unless you're behind a support beam? How to kill this boss

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Coolguye posted:

christ, is this what this is about? you read one of my posts and for whatever reason you thought i was saying that there is literally no way you are ever going to do a thing unless you follow my precisely detailed prescription?

well, i really do not feel like doing the tired dance of 'i never said that' 'you totally did *quotes single sentence in one post devoid of context*' 'that isn't what that means *quotes context*' 'you're backpedaling/don't know what words mean' 'a bunch of others got it fine' so instead i'll just say oh no i am so sorry that i happened to create a misunderstanding in such a way that precluded you asking a clarifying question like a normal person, please forgive me sir and enjoy your being right on the internet about me being an extremist ur-dork

glad that is settled

lmao you just had an entire fake argument with yourself via text and declared yourself the winner jesus christ

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Was pubbing last night and randomly queued into a Champion Halescourge. Everyone groaned but one super English voice says he knows a strategy for dealing with the boss so please don't leave. We muddled through the map extremely averagely and then at the last medpack pile we receive this secret wisdom.

1. Everyone take a corner under one of the platforms.
2. Thats it. Thats the strat.

It worked. Keeping everyone in the corners stops people going into the centre and getting one of the wacky AoEs. When he teleports about they get a free back to wail upon because he is aggro'd upon the previous guy. When its the player's turn to get shot, Halescourge is shooting from the other end of the map after teleporting and so the slime ghosts are dodgeable on reaction. The trash spawns somehow distributed perfectly evenly between the corners so noone was overwhelmed.

Obviously we broke corners for rezzes or whacking players who got the fly swarm on them, and the Saltz dropped his ranged crits on Chaos Warriors but otherwise we were all independent and able to steadily contribute to boss damage without eating too much damage.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You guys are really hating on your bros out there who try to actually help poo poo pugs by bringing a shield and interrupting threats for you? C'mon man, don't be dicks.

Also the game hasn't been out long enough to have a "heh, good luck ever getting out of vet, scrub :smug:" opinion.
2h Hammer is pretty bad. The moveset is made for 1v1 problem enemies with easy headshot arcs, and the non-armor piercing charged attacks will stop when you hit something tougher than a meatrat and bounce off armor. I can't imagine playing the 2h Hammer and thinking "this is a cc weapon".

"just kill rats" also has a bit of "there's some dangerous enemies i can't just treat like chaff". You can either say champ and above is hard or not, but pick a dumb thing to say.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When did pubs change to pugs? I've been seeing it a lot recently, but it's supposed to be the same thing, right? Has it happened, am I an old, alienated from his younger peers through an insurmountable linguistic barrier?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Pubs are pubbies, pugs are pick-up-games. They're using kinda interchangeably here.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Firstborn posted:

You guys are really hating on your bros out there who try to actually help poo poo pugs by bringing a shield and interrupting threats for you? C'mon man, don't be dicks.

Also the game hasn't been out long enough to have a "heh, good luck ever getting out of vet, scrub :smug:" opinion.
2h Hammer is pretty bad. The moveset is made for 1v1 problem enemies with easy headshot arcs, and the non-armor piercing charged attacks will stop when you hit something tougher than a meatrat and bounce off armor. I can't imagine playing the 2h Hammer and thinking "this is a cc weapon".

"just kill rats" also has a bit of "there's some dangerous enemies i can't just treat like chaff". You can either say champ and above is hard or not, but pick a dumb thing to say.

I had the same impression, but if you play abit more u'll find 2h hammer is kinda loving awesome (at least for dorf). It kills armored if you aim for the chin, and its cc potential is unreal, it'll throw around anything that isn't a boss

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

I had the same impression, but if you play abit more u'll find 2h hammer is kinda loving awesome (at least for dorf). It kills armored if you aim for the chin, and its cc potential is unreal, it'll throw around anything that isn't a boss

Axe and Shield Also kills armoured if you aim for the head while being able to knock over entire hordes easily.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

axe&shield will knock over an entire horde 2/3 swings, but it'll do an overhead lovely swing too, which I find really inconvenient

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

2h hammer will stagger berserkers better than the axe+shield, so it's got that going for it

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Man I can only play this for like two rounds before calling it

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ZearothK posted:

When did pubs change to pugs? I've been seeing it a lot recently, but it's supposed to be the same thing, right? Has it happened, am I an old, alienated from his younger peers through an insurmountable linguistic barrier?

pugs are more of a new age wow thing. when you join raid groups with random people through the group finder, and not with your guild, these are called pug groups/raids

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

axe&shield will knock over an entire horde 2/3 swings, but it'll do an overhead lovely swing too, which I find really inconvenient

I'm honestly not doing that many light attacks in a row. It's mostly Block push + sweep, a couple of light attacks, or i'm spamming firedrake pistol shots.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Blinks77 posted:

I'm honestly not doing that many light attacks in a row. It's mostly Block push + sweep, a couple of light attacks, or i'm spamming firedrake pistol shots.

I was talking about chained charged attacks, sorry should've mentioned that. When you chain charged attacks with axe+shield, 1/3 will be an overhead swing with the axe, which fucks up my horde-bashing rythm. Hammer/shield does pretty well when I spam sweeps, but it lacks damage all around. The 2h hammer on the other hand lets you spam sweep attacks merrily with no setbacks, and its dmg is decent too

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I strongly suspect that weapons actually damage every rat/footballer they connect with now. No more 'it hits them, staggers them, but only did damage to 2-3 targets'.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Pickles posted:

pugs are more of a new age wow thing. when you join raid groups with random people through the group finder, and not with your guild, these are called pug groups/raids

dscruffy1 posted:

Pubs are pubbies, pugs are pick-up-games. They're using kinda interchangeably here.

Thank you, it's funny how this kind of stuff can sneak on someone.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

I was talking about chained charged attacks, sorry should've mentioned that. When you chain charged attacks with axe+shield, 1/3 will be an overhead swing with the axe, which fucks up my horde-bashing rythm. Hammer/shield does pretty well when I spam sweeps, but it lacks damage all around. The 2h hammer on the other hand lets you spam sweep attacks merrily with no setbacks, and its dmg is decent too

Maybe that's where we differ? I don't spam charged attacks with the Axe and Shield. I spam shield push sweeps instead, i've got something like 8 shields so i just run around knocking everything on their rear end and the follow blow is a sweep.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I like playing Saltzpyre and poking rats in the face with the rapier.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
I like levels having ankle-high geometry that requires actively jumping over it and stops kruber's charge.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

ZenVulgarity posted:

Man I can only play this for like two rounds before calling it

I love vermintide, I have hundreds of hours logged in 1. But even in 1, some games can be draining and I cant usually do more than 2 - 3 after one another before I need a break. I have fun, but its also intense. I also dont really care about the loot/chest game and just wanna fite rats

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nothing pisses an elf player off more than poo poo talking them in chat, but role-playing the dwarf.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All the arguing back and forth about needing a dude with a shield, shield being useless compared to 2h, etc., tells me is that the melee weapons for Bardin are balanced.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Internet Explorer posted:

All the arguing back and forth about needing a dude with a shield, shield being useless compared to 2h, etc., tells me is that the melee weapons for Bardin are balanced.

except the warpick, that weapon is steaming hot poop. it may be able to killshot stormvermin but other weapons can do it without the glaring downsides.

i will never stop saying this because i want to use the warpick and it really stands out as being a piss poor weapon.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Senethro posted:

Was pubbing last night and randomly queued into a Champion Halescourge. Everyone groaned but one super English voice says he knows a strategy for dealing with the boss so please don't leave. We muddled through the map extremely averagely and then at the last medpack pile we receive this secret wisdom.

1. Everyone take a corner under one of the platforms.
2. Thats it. Thats the strat.

It worked. Keeping everyone in the corners stops people going into the centre and getting one of the wacky AoEs. When he teleports about they get a free back to wail upon because he is aggro'd upon the previous guy. When its the player's turn to get shot, Halescourge is shooting from the other end of the map after teleporting and so the slime ghosts are dodgeable on reaction. The trash spawns somehow distributed perfectly evenly between the corners so noone was overwhelmed.

Obviously we broke corners for rezzes or whacking players who got the fly swarm on them, and the Saltz dropped his ranged crits on Chaos Warriors but otherwise we were all independent and able to steadily contribute to boss damage without eating too much damage.

This is basically what we do during the "ground" phases, but whenever he teleports up, you can stack together to instabreak all the flies. We go out of our way to get "hit" by them ASAP so you don't have them lingering in the next "ground" phase.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Nothing pisses an elf player off more than poo poo talking them in chat, but role-playing the dwarf.

I can do a pretty spot on Bardin/Gimli impression and now I'm ashamed I haven't been using it this entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Anyone who bitches about shields and teammates prioritizing survival is an elf still grinding through veteran who is in for a rude loving shock.