Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where do I go to find other modes besides turf war? I hit level 4, so I can customize my clothes and guns, do I have to wait yet to open the other modes?

Level 10 for ranked mode. You need to get to B- in any ranked mode to unlock League. Don't know about Salmon Run, but it's open right now. You have to do a tutorial and start off in toddler ranks.

Leaf Lock fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

raditts posted:

Do I gotta though? Do I really?

yes

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Trevor's Daily Callie is great, and if you're not tapping Fresh! for every single one, you're a monster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a newbie to this game, at level 4 and confined to turf war, my one takeaway for other newbies is “INK YOUR GODDAMN SPAWN”. So many times my team tears off across the map, leaving our spawn point bare.

There needs to be a IYGDS emote in game

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a newbie to this game, at level 4 and confined to turf war, my one takeaway for other newbies is “INK YOUR GODDAMN SPAWN”. So many times my team tears off across the map, leaving our spawn point bare.

Don't ink your spawn at the beginning though. IMO the pro Turf War strat is to tear off to the middle, establish territory in the middle, maybe get a splat or two, and only worry about inking the turf near your spawn after you get splatted.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's actually fine to leave the spawn bare at the start, because that uninked ground is free special charge when you die later. As long as you don't forget to ink it before the match ends, there's nothing wrong with charging ahead at the start.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I ink it immediately, because my specials are long-range and I benefit from using them quickly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah as others have said, it's only a problem if the spawn never gets inked. There was this rash of "ink your goddamn spawn" posts close to when the game launched, and then for awhile teams were meticulously inking their spawn right when the match started instead of pushing into contested territory. That is how you lose Turf War matches.

I ink the spawn when I die, to build up some special so I can get back in the fray.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, today I learned something. I guess I’ll ink after I die

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i still ink the spawn meticulously because only the last 30 seconds of turf war matters and id rather be out contesting neutral during that part of the match than inking our spawn

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm back to constant 2618-0502 and 2618-0516 errors. Has anyone else had that problem? Is it more likely during off-hours?

I've connected my switch to my router with a wired connection, set it as the DMZ host, and set up port forwarding, so I'm not sure what else I could do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Takoluka posted:

Trevor's Daily Callie is great, and if you're not tapping Fresh! for every single one, you're a monster.

I don't even know what the fresh button is supposed to do in this, it's not like there is a miiverse anymore (F) for you to see who :yeah:'d it or anything. Seems like a weird placebo.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It makes it more likely to show up on other people's plazas. You can't actually view your own posts though so the creator never knows how fresh their posts are. It's really quite stupid :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably very stupid but I still :yeah: everything that's cool.

Feels good, man.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Better than nothing. I'm afraid Splatoon 3 won't have it at all.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope we're not genuinely already looking forward to Splatoon 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

With the way they're supporting Splatoon 2 I wonder if the switch will ever even see a 3rd entry, they'll probably just keep bolting stuff onto this game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

In Training posted:

With the way they're supporting Splatoon 2 I wonder if the switch will ever even see a 3rd entry, they'll probably just keep bolting stuff onto this game

Yeah, I'm expecting Splatoon to be like Smash with new ones only coming out with new consoles.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'd be okay with that, Splatoon 2 is great as it is and I see no reason to fix what isn't broken (I mean of course there can be updates and balance changes, but you don't need to make a whole new game to do that).

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The DLC implies they'll keep using Splatoon 2 for more single player content. Down the road, it doesn't seem unreasonable for large multiplayer changes to be made while still maintaining the name "Splatoon 2."

Maybe if they wanted to do a very large single player game or spin off it'd be stand alone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

I hope so. I don’t want the series to get CODified.

https://twitter.com/gonintendotweet/status/975435544850255873?s=21
Lots of interesting tidbits from this interview. I love the amount of detail they put into things I haven’t even noticed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope so. I don’t want the series to get CODified.

Lots of interesting tidbits from this interview. I love the amount of detail they put into things I haven’t even noticed.

- the team has been adding weapons one by one because they want the same amount of attention for each weapon
- the team learned that when they added two new weapons at once, one would end up getting overshadowed by the other

Odd then that theyre walking this back in 3.0

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope so. I dont want the series to get CODified.

Lots of interesting tidbits from this interview. I love the amount of detail they put into things I havent even noticed.

quote:

- the aim was to add Flow with ethnic clothing and Jelfonzo with high fashion
- all Jellyfish in this world are born by splitting, which means Jelfonzo was born by splitting from Jelonzo
- Jellyfish are like a hive mind
- when they hold a wedding ceremony, theyre just simply holding the ceremony
- Jelonzo and Jelfonzo start gaining their own consciences so they can speak
- Flow used her working holiday to go on a trip before reaching Inkopolis Square
- during the trip, she met the owner of Headspace
- the owner liked her, so she got hired to work there
- Bisk has a unique way of speaking: anastrophe
- the team tried to express him as an adult man
- they made him into a giant spider crab because they wanted someone with high posture
- he came from a cold country and broke up with his girlfriend to join a band
- just like Flow, he became attracted to squids

:stonkhat:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

quote:

- the song at front of Grizzco Industries had an atmosphere that feels like some smell can radiate from the game screen
- as for Salmon Run, they imagined it as a Japanese restaurant outside Japan that is not run by a Japanese person

Can't say that either of these are things that I think about when playing Salmon Run

Ink Theory continues to rule

quote:

- they are well-educated girls who also do aggressive things

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking of , Salmon Run has an awesome loadout today

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
- Salmons basically wield kitchenware, but everybody else has a virtue in fighting to actually cook the Salmons
- Grill is the ultimate form of this
- when Salmons are fighting to the death, they can feel the same sense of unity
- they would be one with the world if they were eaten by other creatures, and they also fight for the pride of their race

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well Educated Girls Who Do Aggressive Things

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope that the next expansion adds playable Nautilings

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that the next expansion adds playable Nautilings

Playable salmonids when

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So, any good guides on how to git gud? I didn't see anything in the op

I just hit level 9, but I either had terrible luck with my teams or I just lost what I had; for the first while, I was doing great and was literally 1 win away from superfresh with a splattershot jr custom, but I just completely tanked and am almost at dry. It seems like I keep running into teams with great coordination that are right up on our spawn with backup stopping us from sneaking around behind, and my team basically never works together

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Sentient Data posted:

So, any good guides on how to git gud? I didn't see anything in the op

I just hit level 9, but I either had terrible luck with my teams or I just lost what I had; for the first while, I was doing great and was literally 1 win away from superfresh with a splattershot jr custom, but I just completely tanked and am almost at dry. It seems like I keep running into teams with great coordination that are right up on our spawn with backup stopping us from sneaking around behind, and my team basically never works together

That's something that you'll encounter from time to time: Sometimes your best is not enough to turn the game, because your team just sucks. If you find yourself in a downward spiral, it's best to step out a while and start again.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

In Training posted:

- the team has been adding weapons one by one because they want the same amount of attention for each weapon
- the team learned that when they added two new weapons at once, one would end up getting overshadowed by the other

Odd then that theyre walking this back in 3.0

Edit: Looks like they're doing it to get all the alts out by the 1 year mark.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 18, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah one of the weirdest things about this game is that it's probably the only multiplayer game I get mad at if I lose. I have no idea why. Not even something as nuanced and team centered as Overwatch gets me salty but if I'm just getting splatted, I have to turn the game off and just chill.

There were some good newbie tips the past couple of pages too if you haven't seen them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah one of the weirdest things about this game is that it's probably the only multiplayer game I get mad at if I lose. I have no idea why. Not even something as nuanced and team centered as Overwatch gets me salty but if I'm just getting splatted, I have to turn the game off and just chill.

There were some good newbie tips the past couple of pages too if you haven't seen them

:same:, getting stomped in Splatoon is so much more frustrating than just about any other PVP game I play.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's why Salmon Run is so good

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Overwatch is a lot more boring than Splatoon, so that's probably it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Expect My Mom posted:

I’m actually the opposite. Splatoon is the only shooter that I’m pretty chill about losing. Getting steamrolled in Overwatch, COD or Gears just makes me quit playing.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
It's not worth getting upset over losing in Turf War.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The rounds are so short that even when I'm in a hell game it's not that bad. Plus no chat makes it way more bearable, especially coming off of Dota or even something like overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Ranked drives me nuts, because its a team shooter with absoultely nothing resembling teamwork outside of "here!", so there are times where i suck and my team still wins matches where im great and my side still loses, meaning rank feels very little like a measurement of skill until you reach S rank where people are good enough to carry a team consistently.

splatfest also suck because goddamit, if I lose get far far less points so every loss feels like im extending the grind further and further. It causes a feedback loop the more the grind drags on from me losing, the more irritated I get and play worse, but since its a single day, its hard to find time to take a break and still have enough time to grind my rank up, especially if I have anything else to do that day.