Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The thing your friend spoiled is from season 2. The reason seasons 1 and 2 were so far apart is, I believe, because the studio didn't expect the popularity of the show, and scheduled a bunch of other series for the intermediate years, before realizing how much demand there was for another season. From what I understand it's a fairly small studio.

This time season 3 is coming the year after season 2, and should catch up to about 80% of what the manga has covered by the end of the season. The 4th season would then probably catch up/finish depending on where the manga is by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the manga finished or close to finished?

:smugmrgw:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Is the manga finished or close to finished?

It doesn't seem anywhere near being finished. Having said that, a lot of things happen. It's not just 50 chapters of time standing still.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh sorry I misunderstood JahRoo's post! I think I will liveblog my catchup on the anime in this thread and squint a bit if it looks like someone is posting something I don't want to read. I mastered this technique during my JoJo catch up

e: lmao I forgot this dude just loving shows up to ruin Eren's day all the time, literally looks like he heard him talking poo poo. Also goddamn how are the Big Red Chew not easily overrunning humanity

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 18, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I keep forgetting how many drat teeth the tall fellow has.

It's like a terrible surprise every time I notice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually like Eren's character this time though he's still a poo poo as a person. He's pretty compelling being this obsessed with titan killing and he's not a wunderkind at it, he's pretty normal in the academy just insanely driven. I hope Levi lives up to the hype I'm expecting after Mikasa is pretty good at cutting up these enormous toddlers. I picked up the first volume last night (and a v nice mickey mouse bag fyi) and Mushi-Shi wouldn't load which is why I'm watching it today and I'm glad of this series of events tbh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

levi will definitely live up to the hype but his best moments aren't animated yet

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neat! I'm excited for that, I think when I originally dropped it the next episode preview featured him kicking Eren in the face. I just got to the introduction of Pixis and I remember he seems super chill so I hope he gets to show he's a badarse.

e: If I am understanding correctly Trost is also a "pimple" town so when the colossal titan shattered the wall he shattered the pimple part of it rather than Wall Rose itself? Similar to the bump wall and then the armoured titan charged Wall Maria.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2018

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

It doesn't seem anywhere near being finished. Having said that, a lot of things happen. It's not just 50 chapters of time standing still.

I need to find the source but in an interview around volume 16 Isayama said the story was about 60% done, which means at that point he thought the story would go to chapter 110 or so. Obviously based on what's happening so far it's not about to end in the next 10 chapters, but I do think we're on the closing story arc.

e:

EmmyOk posted:

e: If I am understanding correctly Trost is also a "pimple" town so when the colossal titan shattered the wall he shattered the pimple part of it rather than Wall Rose itself? Similar to the bump wall and then the armoured titan charged Wall Maria.

Yeah, Trost is like Eren's hometown. The reason theyre fighting so hard to defend it is because as long as the damage is limited to Trost's walls, then the larger wall it abuts will remain intact. Eren's hometown, the colossal titan broke through the outer wall, and then the armored titan rammed through the larger interior wall which allowed titans to pour into the entire interior space.

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 18, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah, for an extra layer of protection the gates on the walls are all actually two gates, like giant airlocks with a town inside.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay neat! I have to work at 6 in the morning so I'll binge watch more when I get home tomorrow, I ended where Eren got eaten. I like him a lot more this time around and it was pretty baller to save Armin like that. His team getting wiped out work really well too because it was a bunch of people panicking trying to save each other but with no experience of what it'd actually be like when things got real.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

sasha's potato scene was so popular it literally saved her life. there's a scene in the series where she was supposed to die but isayama took a liking to all the Hungry Sasha memes and kept her alive, and she rules

quote:

In fact, the editor has admitted he went to the bathroom to cry after he read Isayama’s first storyboard. He then persuaded the artist to keep Sasha around for a bit longer, saying it didn’t feel like it was the right time to kill off the heroine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I love how she henceforth shows up everywhere throughout the rest of the arc after her almost death, running back and forth between locations and just randomly being her lovable self.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I would say it's starting to get close to the end. The current Arc seems the last arc. Although, I imagine it will be the longest Arc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay Eren got chomped last night and I'm home from work now and ready to continue the struggle for Trost. I remember there being a creepy sprinting titan and Mikasa icing it.

e: She is so loving cool

e2: I forgot all about her messed up past and goddamn I didn't expect Eren to gank that dude. I had even noticed they all had Germanic sounding names but totally missed that Mikas stuck out.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 18, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mikasa is totes like the 4th or 5th best character; wish she had more development, but remaining static seems to be an important part of her essence as the girl who forever tries to catch up to Eren but can never reach him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The most curious moment for me was when Armin said "Eren's eyes are saying 'I can do this!'" and Mikasa responded that actually his eyes were saying he could stay with her now. I might be mistaken or off base but I think it's the only time so far that she's voiced thoughts on what she thinks Eren's perception of her is. One thing that stuck out to me in these opening episodes is that Eren is actually backing up his talk about titan killing, he's shocked sure but he's pretty quick to actually get back into action. Especially saving Armin like he did, that was impressive with only one leg. It's nice having Mikasa while he's gone because while I appreciate the show taking it's time to show how horrifying this all is it's nice having a "let's get to it" character leading things.

Also every time Mikasa does something cool it just makes me more hyped to see Levi who a poster described as "a titan blender" :stare:

On the note of knowing that some of the cadets are secretly titans that's literally all I know about it, no idea about their history or motivations or anything. So it's kind of interesting trying to figure out any tiny detail or hint in their dialogue currently as well as seeing if they hint at their secret at all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

On the note of knowing that some of the cadets are secretly titans that's literally all I know about it, no idea about their history or motivations or anything. So it's kind of interesting trying to figure out any tiny detail or hint in their dialogue currently as well as seeing if they hint at their secret at all.

It's really to Hajime Isayama's credit that basically no one saw it coming (although one person in this thread did!) but in hindsight, there were quite a few hints.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The series does a really good job layering hints and clues in that are really innocuous if you aren't looking for them, but really stand out when you revisit them. I've really enjoyed revisiting the earlier plot through the anime with full knowledge of where everything is heading from reading the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwarzwald posted:

It's really to Hajime Isayama's credit that basically no one saw it coming (although one person in this thread did!) but in hindsight, there were quite a few hints.
There was one person who did an exhaustive breakdown of every single reason why specific characters were titans like two years before the reveal and they were 100% right, you're probably thinking of that article someone originally linked to. I don't think anyone in the thread itself actually saw it coming.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That may have been the case.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

The most curious moment for me was when Armin said "Eren's eyes are saying 'I can do this!'" and Mikasa responded that actually his eyes were saying he could stay with her now. I might be mistaken or off base but I think it's the only time so far that she's voiced thoughts on what she thinks Eren's perception of her is.

Yeah that little bit was one of the first showings of what happens to Eren when he experiences doubt, and it was to be utterly terrified that he'd be left behind.

Regarding hints, it's actually one of Isayama's strongpoints how much he foreshadows things yet keeps the reveals surprising, and everything makes sense in retrospect. Like, have you thought why the Colossal Titan only busted through the gates at Shiganshina and Trost then left? Nevermind appearing and disappearing after doing its thing, why specifically the gate instead of bringing a whole section of the wall down, or attacking someplace less heavily defended.

Everything in the loving series is cause and effect.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah even knowing that there are titans hiding among the cadets I have no idea why they are attack the humans in such a strange fashion. They could have gone on to Rose as quickly as they liked during either attack it seems like. So pumped to find out more. Also curious as to why Mikasa seems super humanly strong even as a child. Also lmao that Eren is ripped compared to all the chubby little titans, armoured titan looks cooler though.

e: did people put credence in that theory when someone posted it all those years ago?

e2: This shot owns :stare:

e3: Just realised Jean's voiced by Buggy the Clown lmao

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I believe one OVAs shows Mikasa shirtless, and she's loving jacked.

fake ed: found it

That's 10/10 genes for you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Reiner and Annie arguing that they should save Eren titan (though they don't know it's him yet)! Perhaps not because it will benefit humanity but because they want to know where the gently caress a titan that kills them comes from!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

EmmyOk posted:

Also lmao that Eren is ripped compared to all the chubby little titans, armoured titan looks cooler though.
Fun fact: the bodies of Eren's titan and the armored titan are modeled on Yushin Okami and Brock Lesnar, respectively.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/EAl7au2.gifv

always great

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sindai posted:

Fun fact: the bodies of Eren's titan and the armored titan are modeled on Yushin Okami and Brock Lesnar, respectively.

That's cool! I'm excited for the Anderson Silva titan to be disqualified for kicking Eren in the chops before going on a legendary win streak. I think I have one more episode until I've caught back up to where I was, Eren just stopped the cannon with a bit of titan skeleton. I think the next episode will have him agree to try and use a giant boulder to blog the breach and then just go apeshit instead and if so it's the last episode I've seen. Also excited to see if there are different types of red titan.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"this Pixis seems really level headed, calm, cool, collected"

"sexy titan lady, eat me mami"

"ah okay"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a few episodes, around 10 or 12 or so, that are considered the weakest of the show, so I guess brace for that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a few episodes, around 10 or 12 or so, that are considered the weakest of the show, so I guess brace for that

It's definitely in a bit of lull right now compared to how it started but I'm eager to get through it as opposed to being 110% done like I was last time. Eren is much less of a oval office than I recall and Armin is actually pretty useful. I also got to see Levi do some blending which was nice.

I guess a hint that the colossal titan was human is that when Eren bit his thumb to turn into a giant skeleton the same lightning flash occurred as when the colossal titan appeared. Also Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt all rushed towards the cannon fire. Concerned pals or sneaky titans trying to find out why the gently caress there's a non-union titan knocking around. I was wondering where Eren's dad was so I'm glad they acknowledged he's been gone for the five years. What age is Eren and co.? I'm guessing around 16 but don't want to google.

e: Also Eren mentioned forming a titan strong enough to block the canon so I wonder if he has stronger transformations in store later in the series when the need is great enough.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Eren's 15 and is company is in the same bracket.

Definitely never google anything everyone loooooves to spoil every upcoming twist.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pixis gives such a thrilling speech and Eren talks about giving people real hope in place of false hope and I remember getting insanely into that and then just feeling gut punched when he goes apeshit. P sure that will be the end of the episode I'm on now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
One of the strengths of the series is it is never static, it constantly shakes up the status quo.

So Emmy, finish the series ASAP, speed through the manga, before the end of the month, when people start posting spoilers for he current status.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the manga monthly? AFter I catch up on the anime I'm not sure if I'll go with the manga volumes or wait for the newest season then switch to the volumes. I certainly didn't expect Eren to punch himself into a coma for an episode! Since the start of the show I'd suspected that normie titans were made of humans but I'd forgotten about how Eren was embedded in his titan form. It wasn't until Armin said it that I started to get a clear idea of what the titans might be. I remember thinking it was weird they didn't starve after a 100 years or if they could eat non-humans then why be so obsessed with us. Then the show mentioned that they seem to specifically want to kill us even though they didn't need to, they also don't have genitals. I think the titans will be like mech suits piloted by abducted/eaten humans and are being directed to destroy humanity so the red titans can take back the world from us or something.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Is the manga monthly? AFter I catch up on the anime I'm not sure if I'll go with the manga volumes or wait for the newest season then switch to the volumes. I certainly didn't expect Eren to punch himself into a coma for an episode! Since the start of the show I'd suspected that normie titans were made of humans but I'd forgotten about how Eren was embedded in his titan form. It wasn't until Armin said it that I started to get a clear idea of what the titans might be. I remember thinking it was weird they didn't starve after a 100 years or if they could eat non-humans then why be so obsessed with us. Then the show mentioned that they seem to specifically want to kill us even though they didn't need to, they also don't have genitals. I think the titans will be like mech suits piloted by abducted/eaten humans and are being directed to destroy humanity so the red titans can take back the world from us or something.

The manga is monthly, yeah. There's 54 chapters not yet covered by the anime, although the anime that's supposed to air this year should cover 40 or so of those chapters based on the teaser for it.

Of course that's the chapter count at the moment, probably will be much more when the next season actually finishes

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

It's definitely in a bit of lull right now compared to how it started but I'm eager to get through it as opposed to being 110% done like I was last time. Eren is much less of a oval office than I recall and Armin is actually pretty useful. I also got to see Levi do some blending which was nice.

I guess a hint that the colossal titan was human is that when Eren bit his thumb to turn into a giant skeleton the same lightning flash occurred as when the colossal titan appeared. Also Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt all rushed towards the cannon fire. Concerned pals or sneaky titans trying to find out why the gently caress there's a non-union titan knocking around. I was wondering where Eren's dad was so I'm glad they acknowledged he's been gone for the five years. What age is Eren and co.? I'm guessing around 16 but don't want to google.

e: Also Eren mentioned forming a titan strong enough to block the canon so I wonder if he has stronger transformations in store later in the series when the need is great enough.
I really hope once you catch up you pick up the manga. Things have gone so loving wild since where the anime ends in the manga, and it bums me out that some of the more recent stuff might not make it into season 4 if it goes for a single cour in season 3. Hopefully the person saying it's a 2-cour season is right, since jesus christ there's a lot going on in this series. If it keeps up this pace until the finale I can see it being held up alongside something like Fullmetal Alchemist as a must-see series.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
What chapter could it get to if the next season ends up being two-cour?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Surely right up to the end of Volume 22/Chapter 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

If the first cour goes through the uprising arc, it only really makes sense for the next cour to end at the ocean or the basement.